Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Wizard with a touch of Psionist
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Faediira
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2015 :  22:40:58  Show Profile Send Faediira a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey gals and guys are there any classes for wizard that has a touch of psi to it because the female character that i have needs a revamp she's an old 2nd edition character but i want to bring her into the new age lol...the character should be able to read thoughts, alignments, memories, and can go back through the victims mind and even see their dreams. Mind you this character was an npc run by the DM and said said was a wizard but i don't know if its possible without giving her levels of psi as well.

May the light of Eilistraee burn bright in the face of evil...bastard swords high.

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2015 :  22:53:20  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 5e Warlock has an ability called Awakened Mind through The Great Old One Patron that allows you to communicate telepathically with any creature you can see within 30 feet.
Alternatively, depending on the level of the character, you might have an Epic Boon (See the 5e DMG) that grants those abilities.
You could also make a variant Divination Wizard that gains the abilities you described, in place of the usual abilites.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2015 :  01:15:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She could have also been a really gifted wild talent. It was exceedingly unlikely, per the rules, but it was possible to have a non-psionicist with multiple psionic powers.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2015 :  02:44:46  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

She could have also been a really gifted wild talent. It was exceedingly unlikely, per the rules, but it was possible to have a non-psionicist with multiple psionic powers.

I've thought about that. Are Wild Talents the same as Innate Talents from Volo's Guide to All Things Magical? If so, I would think it should be a fairly straight up conversion. As long as it doesn't deal damage, grant HP, or change her AC, it doesn't really change her CR. I'm not a number cruncher, but to me, I don't see too much of a problem going that route and just laying it on like a template, especially if she's an NPC.
If it were my game, I'd probably just have the ability mimic the Detect Thoughts spell from the PHB, and grant her the ability to read dreams when she hits, say, 5th level.

(I'm assuming the OP means converting her 2E character to 5e when she says "bring her into the new age," if I'm wrong, I'll shut up. )

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2015 :  02:59:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

quote:

I've thought about that. Are Wild Talents the same as Innate Talents from Volo's Guide to All Things Magical? If so, I would think it should be a fairly straight up conversion. As long as it doesn't deal damage, grant HP, or change her AC, it doesn't really change her CR. I'm not a number cruncher, but to me, I don't see too much of a problem going that route and just laying it on like a template, especially if she's an NPC.
If it were my game, I'd probably just have the ability mimic the Detect Thoughts spell from the PHB, and grant her the ability to read dreams when she hits, say, 5th level.

(I'm assuming the OP means converting her 2E character to 5e when she says "bring her into the new age," if I'm wrong, I'll shut up. )

Wild talents and innate talents are entirely separate beasts. Innate talents are minor little magical things, usually non-offensive 1st level spells, whereas psionic wild talents were simply a regular psionic power, but it was being used by someone who was not a psionicist.

I'm a huge fan of psionics, but they've always been a problem in D&D -- they've always been a bolt-on, after-the-fact addition, mixed in with classes and abilities that were balanced with and against each other, but not with and against psionics.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 27 Jul 2015 03:01:22
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2015 :  03:18:04  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Wild talents and innate talents are entirely separate beasts. Innate talents are minor little magical things, usually non-offensive 1st level spells, whereas psionic wild talents were simply a regular psionic power, but it was being used by someone who was not a psionicist.

I'm a huge fan of psionics, but they've always been a problem in D&D -- they've always been a bolt-on, after-the-fact addition, mixed in with classes and abilities that were balanced with and against each other, but not with and against psionics.

Gotcha. My bad. Thanks for the clarification, Wooly.
In line with the original post, have you seen the playtest material for psionics that WotC made available to the public a few weeks ago? It might have a few ideas in it you could use as well. Keep in mind, those rules are very much still being tweaked, but it gives you something to play with.

- Delwa Aunglor

Edited by - Delwa on 31 Jul 2015 07:05:11
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2015 :  04:48:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Gotcha. My bad. Thanks for the clarification, Wooly.
In line with the original post, have you seen the playtest material for psionics that WotC made available to the public a few weeks ago? It might have a few ideas in it you could use as well. Keep in mind, those rules are very much still being tweaked, but it gives you something to play with.

I was entirely unaware of them. I've had little reason to pay attention to 5E. Nothing I saw about it was disagreeable to me (unlike the 4E rules), and I've seen much praise and little negative commentary about it (again, unlike the 4E rules). Plus, now that I've picked up dice again for the first time since 2E, I'm playing Pathfinder.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2015 :  05:45:26  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In line with the original post, have you seen the https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCoQFjACahUKEwirm7SonvrGAhWFNj4KHdsdAE0&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.wizards.com%2F2015%2Fdownloads%2Fdnd%2FUA6_AwakenedMysticv2.pdf&ei=tJO1VavxHoXt-AHbu4DoBA&usg=AFQjCNGJdHkLcFm3vLL5eUn-WNRXpbDYLg&sig2=_xlv80Ngd-G4KKTYjmWYBQ&bvm=bv.98717601,d.cWw
playtest material for psionics[/url] that WotC made available to the public a few weeks ago?

What's with googletrack?
[url=http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/awakened-mystic]dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/awakened-mystic[/url]

(reads) "...Far Realm" <Alt-F4>. BLEEPing hentacleBLEEPs!
So this edition will be no better...

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2015 :  07:03:59  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not seeing that here? I have edited the post, but I didn't see any Googletrack when I previewed it prior? It still shows up as just linked text reading "playtest material for psionics" when I view my own post. I just Googled the doc, and right clicked the "copy link url" from the context menu in the Google search results, and pasted that into my post. I guess that did what you're talking about? Sorry.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000