Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Ancient Ruins with in Araumycos.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2015 :  22:17:15  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Have there ever been any knowledge on the ruins that are with in Araumycos?

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2015 :  02:56:57  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope. Some elves believe that they at the very least existed during the time of Vyshantaar - if not before - and the Netherese interest in them seems to indicate that there's magic to be found - other than that, nothing.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2015 :  12:03:37  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spell weaver ruins would make sense geographically, as would sarrukh ruins.

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2015 :  15:01:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would hazard to guess a creator race, but it could have been some other early culture we know nothing about (draconic or even dwarven, for example).

I'd like to point out that if you know anything about archaeology (and I am sure most of us have watched the History/Discovery Channnels), then you know stuff that used to be on the surface gets buried rather quickly (on a planetary scale). A few thousand years and entire, immense structures disappear (pyramids, etc). Now just picture how deep stuff would be if it was 35,000 years old?

I am saying this so people realize it doesn't necessarily have to have been something subterranean; it could be that it was a surface civilization and that Araumycos may have either been placed there on purpose or by accident. Then nature just took its course and buried the whole thing.

I would also like to say I think it may predate the Star Mounts... or may even be the cause of the Star Mounts.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Jul 2015 15:02:52
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2015 :  20:03:18  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its symbiotic relation with the High Forest makes it curiously fragile when removed from its anchor, though its unsure if its a psionic tie or a nutrition one. It makes me think its a purely natural phenomena; a singularity moment for a hyper fecund Myconid race centered under the High Forest, as the myconoid entity reached a large enough collective conscience level to achieve a divine spark.

After druidic activity sponsored/taught by treants the bounties of their magics seep deep into the soils of the High Forest, into the caverns feeding Araumycos uncommonly immense growth.

So I believe any of the early races capable of terraforming magics could have been the cause of Araumycos. So Batrachi, Dragons and Giants are all likely candidates for its appearance. I personally like to think it arrived as a spore on a meteor, in a primitive Spelljamming manner, blossoming as a fungul growth on Toril and seeding the first interloper Myconoid races.

Perhaps the Star Mounts, Grey Peeks, Nether Mountains and Lost Peeks are so steep because of the crater formed by Araumycos's impact?

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2015 :  01:04:56  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about this: the first example on Toril of a race (just which one is up for grabs, but I'm going with the batrachi) attempting biological warfare on ... the giants? At war with the giants, their centres of power smashed by the Tearfall causing them to move inland, perhaps the ruling batrachi came up with baby Araumycos, intending to unleash it on the giant mountain strongholds to the north. The experiment went badly wrong, Araumycos got out of control (and self-aware - "awaken intelligence" from REF3 Lords of Darkness anyone?) and this simply hastened the demise of the batrachi as a race and power group.

Alternatively, and this concept is one I tried to push with the Sundering, Araumycos is from Abeir and came to Toril in an earlier Sundering event when the worlds merged for a time.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2015 :  19:30:06  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the batrachi involvement angle. Probably the Zhoukoudian bullywug surface realms' last resort attempt at saving themselves from the unleashed primordials or their giant agents later on.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000