Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Shining South Campaign Map
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2015 :  05:55:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just an update on where I am at with this one.

Shaareach/Shining South Conversion Campaign Map

EDIT: Newer Version - WIP2

EDIT2: Newest version - WIP3

EDIT3: Newest version - WIP4

Its an old one I am finally completing. I've changed quite a few of the methods I use, so this one may seem a bit 'primitive' compared to newer stuff. Not sure if you guys would even notice (except for maybe the scale) because it has more to do with the technical (digital art) aspects. I just thought it was worth completing.

This is the most accurate version of Halruaa I've done, and is canon except for the two forests (jungles) I added. it seemed strange such a large country had no woodlands. There are several locales that hadn't appeared on my earlier Halruaa map - they were taken from the Fonstad atlas maps. They were even missing from the FRIA.

And its still a ways from being done.

EDIT: There is also some info in THIS THREAD with some of my conversion notes in it (regarding the Orcs and local politics).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Aug 2015 03:54:18

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2015 :  08:28:16  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good stuff, i could do with a nice shaar/shining south map. I intend to have a look at it later on and maps are always a major resource.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2015 :  14:34:30  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice, I love the Shining South. Any plans to do some maps for Zakhara?

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Snow
Learned Scribe

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2015 :  14:44:57  Show Profile Send Snow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful map, Markus. Thank you for sharing! That area of the Realms is on my gaming group's near horizon. Soon to be accessed by a magic portal recently found by my group up near Dagger Falls. Via Portal Magic divination spells, we found that the portal's other end comes out near the Rethild (The Great Swamp).

Also, I'm sure you already know ... but the 'Hills of the Dead Kings' label looks a little off on your map.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2015 :  15:06:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah - I re-label stuff from the original, and thats an area thats far from complete yet (so that text will get wiped clean and replaced with new text). Quite a lot of the canon-map text is still on there (making it look weird). You'll also note some real strangeness with the coastlines up near Unther/Mulhorand (the 3eFR map with a 2e outline over-layed on top).

FYI: The point of this map was to give people enough to run a fairly large and detailed campaign (with lots of published material to draw from), that could be considered FR, without it being in the better-known regions (where some folks hate tripping all over the canon). So its a 'make it your own' slice of The Realms (which all of it has always meant to be, but that has grown more difficult to pull off over time). I resurrected it because I see a lot of folks asking about FR for a 5e game, and I thought it might be a great way for DMs who feel angsty about using the Realms to get their feet wet.

quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Good stuff, i could do with a nice shaar/shining south map.
Its actual focus is Elsir Vale (with Nentire Vale thrown-in just for fun), so it not the entire Shaar, and includes quite a bit more north of it. The original name was Channath Vale, but I used the more generic 'Elsir Vale' name from the Red Hand of Doom and Scales of War adventures. My plan is to come out with a small 'conversion booklet' to blend everything together seamlessly (so some labels are newer or even local names for stuff).

quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

Nice, I love the Shining South. Any plans to do some maps for Zakhara?
No, sorry.

I had at one time - I had the whole planet roughed-in, but I gave up on that. I may get to Kara-Tur someday, because it holds a special place in my heart.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Jul 2015 15:18:16
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2015 :  16:01:16  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Kara-tur is good too.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Snow
Learned Scribe

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2015 :  16:43:03  Show Profile Send Snow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The most compelling aspect of your map is the mass dotting of cities, towns and villages within the heart of Halruaa.

It makes me wanna run an urban campaign (using my fave 3.5 sourcebook - Cityscape) in that area with quick mass-transit magic portals linking the various settlements. Which is feasible considering Halruaa's fascination and advanced prowess in magic of that sort.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2015 :  17:18:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ALL of those are canon, too.

The only one that is 'questionable' would be Raumark Citadel. I named that one myself; however, on the original 1e maps (that strangely came with the Hordes of Dragonspear module), there is an unnamed settlement at that spot. Its location in that gap leading to the Bandit Wastes was just screaming 'fortified outpost' to me, which is what I turned it into. So canonically there is something there, and I just helped define it. The forests are also both of my own invention.

Kaalrash Jungle: Within this woodland lie many fenced-in regions, wherein individual mages and groups of mages working together create all sorts of 'magical abominations'. The perimeter of the jungle is carefully monitored by the Halruaan government to make sure nothing unwanted gets out, but within it is up to each 'ranch' to provide their own security, and they are pretty-much left to their own devices, for good or ill. Everything from mongrelmen to new types of dinosaurs get created here, and outsiders are unwelcome, and usually windup as something's dinner (so avoid at all costs... unless you want some adventure).

Jungle of Lost Souls: This tropical rain forest is a bit of an enigma, even to the folks of Halruaa. Almost everyone that enters never comes back out. The few that do are insane - drooling madmen rambling on about 'the dead won't share their secrets'. At night, people foolish enough to be camping nearby claim to see all manor of undead (mostly non-corporeal) wandering about within the jungle, but none ever exit the wood. Most common folk of Halruaa blame the scaleyfolk to the west, but the serpentkin protest they are not responsible, and even claim to have lost dozens of their own 'expeditions' into the interior. Whatever power lies at the heart of that wood, its secrets remain a mystery to even the most powerful Halruaan Mages.

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Jul 2015 17:19:57
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2015 :  19:30:48  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Just an update on where I am at with this one.

Shaareach/Shining South Conversion Campaign Map

Its an old one I am finally completing. I've changed quite a few of the methods I use, so this one may seem a bit 'primitive' compared to newer stuff. Not sure if you guys would even notice (except for maybe the scale) because it has more to do with the technical (digital art) aspects. I just thought it was worth completing.

This is the most accurate version of Halruaa I've done, and is canon except for the two forests (jungles) I added. it seemed strange such a large country had no woodlands. There are several locales that hadn't appeared on my earlier Halruaa map - they were taken from the Fonstad atlas maps. They were even missing from the FRIA.

And its still a ways from being done.

I was looking at the topography. Is the Shaar higher or lower in elevation in relation to the the Duskwood? I thought it was higher, but the cliff suggests that part of the Shaar is lower in elevation. Based on old editions, I think the Shaar was higher, that there was a ridge delineating in maps from older editions and products. Maybe my memory is wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2015 :  20:31:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you look at The Landrise - the cliffs that separate The Shaar from the Eastern Shaar - the western Shaar appears to be much lower then its eastern half. I think I may have continued with that idea - that the western Shaar was at 'sea level' (which means the Border kingdoms can't be lower).

I am not sure what my thinking was with those cliffs (I started this map over two years ago and then abandoned it). I think I wanted to give some sort of terrain reason why the Shaar and the Border kingdoms stay separate (you have medieval culture on one side and then 'primitive savages' on the other). To the west of those cliffs its a much more gradual rise in elevation (as we move away from the 'savage' lands and on into Lapliiya).

Aso, because I included Nentir Vale and that has lore (and geography) of its own (which doesn't exactly fit so well with the other lore in the region), I ran The Landrise up and through Nentir Vale - which DOES have its own (internal) canon 'landrise' (escarpment) running through it. This allowed me to separate the various sub-regions ('Vales') from each other with physical boundaries which helps explain some of the lore snafus, while at the same time allowing me to 'marry' the geography together (since Nentir Vale doesn't really belong there). Just noticed this - on the Elsir Vale map there are cliffs there, so I just wound the same set of cliffs from The Landrise on through Nentir Vale and then across the NW of the Elsir Vale. The folk of Elsir (Channath) Vale refer to that region as 'the Endless Plains' (which is kinda odd when the Border Kingdoms are right on the other side LOL).

So, looking back at it now and trying to remember my thinking, it was a combination of 'fudging' to get stuff to work and also a bit of poetic license. I also think the Lake of Steam is a shallow-impact meteor crater (east-to-west strike), which means the land around it would have been 'pushed up' (which is why I added so many hills there - there really isn't supposed to be that many decent spots for ports around the lake of Steam). I probably should add coastal cliffs around the north coast of the Border kingdoms.

Shaareach also got 'squashed'. I would have liked to make it a little bigger (as it was on 1e/2e maps), but that area got over-written by the Overlook lore (RHoD) and I had to go by the much smaller valley there (which was how it looked in 3e, and the RHoD maps were based on the 3eFR map). So the former human realm of Shaareach is now under the 'protection' of Overlook and the dwarves. Shaareach was never much of realm to begin with - more like Altumbel or The Great Dale in that regard (so it was an easy fix to make). I still have to number all those small settlements and put a map key out in the water somewhere (or folks could just use the Overlook map).

If you use the Overlook Map, the Dun Hills (FR) = The Stonehome Mountains (RHoD). That region is where the Red Hand material REALLY deviated from FR canon.

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Jul 2015 00:35:45
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2015 :  01:08:53  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh, more MT goodness. If I could pay some of you scribes for the efforts you guys put in I would.

As usual an incredible map. I like the fact that you work to put in all the canon locations (and your own work) into these areas. It is frustrating sometimes when you have to hunt down some location you just KNOW is there but can't find the source for.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

Edited by - The Arcanamach on 07 Jul 2015 01:10:29
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2015 :  01:14:38  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One question: What is the location in the river valley just west of Mt. Talath? It looks like a tower but I can't quite tell. Does it have a name?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2015 :  01:36:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was an add of mine, for the campaign. when I looked over the maps I realized that there should be a VERY important trade route there, going from Lapalgard in Lapaliiya to Halruaa (the breaks in the mountains are canon from early maps - 3e made the mountain 'walls' much too solid). Such an important route - connecting the Shining Sea with Halruua (and beyond!) - should have a citadel guarding that pass (especially considering the heavy crinti/outlaw/barbarian presence all around Halruaa). My assumption is that VERY FEW traders make it past the citadel - goods are exchanged between them and Halruaan merchants, who then move the goods further into their nation (probably downriver from Zoundar).

Since posting that I have named it 'Lapalmeet Post'... until something better comes to me.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2015 :  01:22:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Newer Version of the Southern Realms Map

I was certain I had all the settlements labeled and I just now noticed one thats not over near the Spider Swamp. Oh well, next update.

You can get an idea of how the finished text is going to look by looking at the 'Wastes' areas (like the Bandit Wastes), with the redesigned text and glow. Also, the labels in the Dambrath area are done - you can see the text is slightly faded and also has a glow (makes it easier to read). Still lots more to do, but in the meantime, ENJOY.

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Jul 2015 03:43:34
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2015 :  21:18:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I recall now why I dropped this project...

Is there an interest in this? I realize that by putting Nentir Vale in there it probably annoys the 'canon junkies', but my eventual plan is to have THREE versions - a player's map, a DM's map, and Nentir-less map.

For the Nentir-less map, I may just drop or modify the Portuguese names from Mapolq's Sespech campaign as well, if they bother folks.

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2015 :  21:36:02  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm interested in this map. I'm more interested in the Canon version, but I'm ok with whatever I get. I've used your maps for almost every campaign I've run. I really want to do something in or around Halruaa, and your maps are among my favorites.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2015 :  23:37:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. Except for a fortress and the two jungles, Halruaa is all canon.

I added a small jungle in Dambrath last night as well - large nations without trees really bother me.

I just got done pasting together a slew of 2e maps because I was tired of referencing 15-20 different maps for this project. I noticed one thing I never noticed before (actually TWO, but the other is way up in The Vast and not pertinent to this map): The label 'Ruins of Tathtar' appears on the Empires of the Shining Sea map but not on either the Vilhon Reach nor the maps from Lands of Intrigue (both of which show the same area). I find that interesting because that map is one of the most 'bare bones' I have seen, especially considering its supposed to be a detailed regional map. Anyhow, I had it placed correctly on my old 'Erlkazar Campaign' map, and its nice to have some visual confirmation.

This map, BTW, is far more accurate and true to the original version of Erlkazar then that one - one of these days I will have to update that one as well (its one of my 'pet' areas). I will never get it perfect, because of all the fudgery that went on with the 3e maps, but this one comes pretty close to the original while still keeping fairly true to the 3e layout. When I did that map I had no access to the FRIA, which had several roads and locales that appeared on no other map (and not in any lore source I could find, either, which is really strange).

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Jul 2015 23:38:11
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2015 :  00:00:31  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I stopped being interested in official canon years ago MT. Obviously my interest is in your Misbegotten Realms, but your adjustments on the official maps/lore usually trumps canon (in my opinion, anyway). Between you, Dazzler, Jeremy and GK I think the Realms has improved immeasurably. The work coming from you guys tends to be more interesting than anything coming from WotC these days (and that's not a snipe at them, just my honest opinion).

Anyway, I would take your maps over official ones any day.

P.S. There are other great contributors at CK, not just the four I mentioned. Too many to list.

Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2015 :  01:28:34  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm always interested in your stuff (particularly the closer-to-3E-canon maps). I think if you go for a "canon-lite" version without Nentir it might be more fitting to remove my sites and their names as well, since they're totally homebrew.

Never sleep under the jackfruit tree.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

My campaign thread: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447
Go to Top of Page

Taurendil
Acolyte

Chile
43 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2015 :  03:23:38  Show Profile Send Taurendil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Is there an interest in this?

I'm OH SO interested in this! I'm currently running a campaign in the Shaar/Border Kingdoms/Arnrock.

Your work just makes me want to explore more areas in the south. Keep'em coming!

- Ideas desordenadas sin RPG en específico www.juegoconamnesia.blogspot.com (Spanish)
- Des idées en vrac pour n'importe quel JdR www.jeudeloubli.blogspot.com (French)
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2015 :  08:24:08  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yay, somebody reads my work (I can feel myself welling up).
Im with arcanamach on the canon issue. Its quantity and quality have declined to the point where it is inconsequential what is officially published. I value homebrew lore much more as its often better thought out and you can see the love that has gone into it.
You keep producing your homebrew maps. They are just as good if not better than official maps of the region (which are non existant in the current edition). As I said before, maps are a major source of inspiration for my redesigns and the more resources I have the better.
Now if I could just persuade you to make a map for my Netheril rewrite that would make my year.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2015 :  23:12:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And here I decided to finish this because it was "so close to being done". The 'polishing' is the hardest part. LOL

New Update: The Shining South + Nentir Vale

Lots still left to do, but its slowly getting there. Trying to fit all the river & road names on this is going to be a bear.

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Jul 2015 23:14:13
Go to Top of Page

Cyrinishad
Learned Scribe

300 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2015 :  01:16:45  Show Profile Send Cyrinishad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! These maps are tremendous, Markustay. I'm particulary psyched about the Shining South maps, because the 3rd edition campaign I enjoyed running the most was centered there.

To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. -Socrates

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2015 :  04:54:08  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've noticed a few possible typos on the map:

Shadíar should be Shadi'ar, and that actually refers to the nomadic tribes also known as "Lions", not the land north of the Lake of Steam itself (that could be called "Land of the Lions", as per Empires of the Shining Sea).

Samph (the city in Chondath) looks like a typo, should be Shamph.

Nelderild (in Mulhorand) also looks like a typo, should be Neldorild.

Never sleep under the jackfruit tree.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

My campaign thread: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2015 :  07:09:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I used Shadiar rather then 'Land of the Lions' on my Erlkazar map because it fit better, and because I am using that map as a reference it just carried over. I have more room now, so I will look into that.

As for the others - I will have to double check tomorrow. Thanks for the heads-up. Sometimes its the (canon) maps that got the spelling wrong - for example, the 'Alimir' Mountains, NOT 'Alamir' as it says on the 3e map. I go by the older (1e/2e) maps when there is a conflict. Anyone else see anything please point it out - when you got around a thousand pieces of text floating around you are bound to spell a few things wrong, and I'd hate to see any of those make it into the final map.

Really dreading adding the river names... so I went a little nuts instead. I melded the Five Shires with Luiren (sized to scale and everything). Don't know why - it falls off the edge of the map. I may have to release a 'director's cut" at some point.

So what was that about "too much" room and them resizing the maps in 3e? Even if I took Nentir Vale out, the thing would still be very cluttered. Ah, Faerûn... we hardly knew yea.

I did add a few of my newer touches to this one (things I didn't do back when I first started this project). The scale is one - I can't understand why TSR/WotC doesn't put duel scales on their maps - its easy to do, and with at least half of all RPGers being Non-American, its just plain common sense.

Lastly, I don't know how it happened, the map shifted up more then I intended - the bottom of the landmass shouldn't be cut-off near Chisolne - that always irked the hell out of me with the 3e campaign map. That means there is few things that wound-up showing near the top that shouldn't (like the unlabeled 'Soaring spirit' temple). I'll get it perfect with the next one.

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Jul 2015 07:15:40
Go to Top of Page

Matrix Sorcica
Seeker

Denmark
89 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2015 :  11:38:36  Show Profile Send Matrix Sorcica a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is there an interest in this?

Very interested in this. However, imo the Nentir Vale should be much further north, as per Nentir Vale canon. So I'm actually more concerned with that than FR canon
I'm extremely interested in your Misbegotten Realms and am very (im)patiently waiting for your update on that (hint, hint ). Also very interested in the 'lore' for your Realms, how FR, Golarion, and the other settings you've mixed in fits together.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2015 :  12:01:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my Misbegotten Realms, Nentir Vale is tucked neatly between the High Forest and the High Moor, and is perfectly sized (so that the Nentir Vale maps can be used on their own), as it is on this conversion as well. This was a precurser to that project, hence the placement here.

I still intend to modify this when its finished for a 'canon' (mostly) version WITHOUT Nentir Vale.

As for the weird southern location - its at a fairly high altitude right there, so despite its placement it enjoys a much more 'temperate' climate then the surrounding regions. The forest is far-enough up into the foothills and mountains for it to be quite cold (hence, the 'Winterbole' name). Not canon to either setting, but it works for the blend.

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Jul 2015 12:03:43
Go to Top of Page

Matrix Sorcica
Seeker

Denmark
89 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2015 :  13:31:35  Show Profile Send Matrix Sorcica a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In my Misbegotten Realms, Nentir Vale is tucked neatly between the High Forest and the High Moor, and is perfectly sized (so that the Nentir Vale maps can be used on their own), as it is on this conversion as well. This was a precurser to that project, hence the placement here.

Yep, I know. Like I said, been very interested in your Misbegotten Realms for a long time . Seem to remember you placed Elsir Vale up north?

quote:
As for the weird southern location - its at a fairly high altitude right there, so despite its placement it enjoys a much more 'temperate' climate then the surrounding regions. The forest is far-enough up into the foothills and mountains for it to be quite cold (hence, the 'Winterbole' name). Not canon to either setting, but it works for the blend.

Quite a good solution, imo.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2015 :  17:06:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am letting me ADD get the best of me - I now have the coast outlined all the way over to the edges of Zakhara and Kara-Tur.

I have access to certain things I didn't when I did my Utter East maps, plus my skills have increased greatly, and that region where four different settings (3 main and one sub-setting) come together I was never quite happy with.

I guess what I am saying is that there will be at least one 'extended version' of this map. I need to finish the map itself though, so now that I got that out of my system I can go back to naming rivers and roads. I did find something new (old) - Var the Golden was originally mostly desert. The only map that ever showed up on was the Fonstad atlas map (which were based DIRECTLY off of Ed's originals). Just thought I'd throw that out there - it may be the ONLY FR desert that wasn't 'magically created'.

But before I extend this project beyond completing this map, I still want to go back and complete one other one (I thought there was two, but I found what i believe is a finished copy of the other, so I I won't have to go back to that one... not that i can show that one anyway).

Yes, I WILL finally finish the Demonwrought (Bloodstone Lands + the Impilturran peninsula) Lands regional map. Thats one that I really should have never abandoned... and don't even know why. So this one, and then THAT, and then whatever my ADD leads me to.

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Jul 2015 17:07:45
Go to Top of Page

Taurendil
Acolyte

Chile
43 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2015 :  18:11:39  Show Profile Send Taurendil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am letting me ADD get the best of me - I now have the coast outlined all the way over to the edges of Zakhara and Kara-Tur.

One of the players in my Shaar campaign is a pilgrim dragonborn soldier that came from Kara-Tur, so that map sounds really useful to me!
Specially for some adventures on the way back.

- Ideas desordenadas sin RPG en específico www.juegoconamnesia.blogspot.com (Spanish)
- Des idées en vrac pour n'importe quel JdR www.jeudeloubli.blogspot.com (French)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2015 :  20:09:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I already have the area outlined for that next one, but it may be awhile before I get back to it. It shows a decent amount of the Hordelands + the Golden waters region. I had twisted so much to make everything work that I had to actually re-do the Vilhon Reach (even though most of it falls off both maps!) Can't have them not lining up properly.
I also corrected Luiren to make it more like it was in 1e/2e (and also added the settlements from The Fives Shires just for poops & giggles).

But in the meantime, I needed a break from the Shining south and headed west... WAY west. This isn't something I plan to hammer away at - its more of a mental excercise to see how easily I can fit everything together.

Returned Maztica

Something new I am toying with. Don't worry, I am still finishing the Shining South map - I just needed a break from it. Trying out some new things with this one - everything will be drawn by hand (or rather, by hand with GIMP). I am using the original Maztica map - slightly modified to make it work with the 4e Returned Abeir lore. I am pleasantly surprised how much alike the two maps already were. I am hoping for an amalgam version of this region come 5e; the original was Okay, but too derivative. The new stuff (Abeir) is great, but redundant with a lot of what FR already had. I think by merging the two they can come up with something pretty unique - an Aztec like region that worships the dragon pantheon, with a sudden influx of newcomers from Abeir, all trying to cope with each other's existence. And who doesn't want Tiamat worshiping Jungle drow?

The settlements you see already placed are the Dusk Ports and the Windrise Ports. There is also the existing Maztican city of Maxal (lower right), and the ruin is the other Maztican city in Far Payit - Tulom Itzi. Because its location fell out right in the middle of Skelkor, it had to be a ruin now. So far, thats the only problem I've encountered. I may make the Abeir rivers smaller... we'll see.

Edited by - Markustay on 31 Jul 2015 03:26:23
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000