Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Elven Family Name / Surnames / Last Names
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bill Bisco
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2015 :  21:35:22  Show Profile Send Bill Bisco a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
1. Is there any evidence that Elven wives will take on the surname of their husbands as humans do?

2. Who determines the surname of the child? The mother or the father?

Thanks,

Bill

"Real Sharpness Comes Without Effort

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2015 :  21:50:33  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
not to my knowledge.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2015 :  01:03:51  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It hasn't been addressed to the same extent as dwarven names, so there isn't much.

If you're marrying into a noble family (whether you are noble yourself or not), you take the name of the noble family. This is for both men and women. For instance, Amara Audark became Amara Ildacer when she married Aolis Audark. On the other hand, if Aravae Irithyl had lived long enough to marry Josidiah Starym, he would have become Aravae Irithyl.

Who is technically marrying into which family would no doubt be a matter of intense negotiation between the houses, and would in part depend on the status of the two. For example, you'd marry a clan heir, and probably any child of the patriarch/matriarch, but if you're both from a collateral line? Who knows?

As for anyone not a noble, I don't think there's been any mention one way or another. Given the example of the nobles, I would assume commoners would settle on one name, but either partner could take the other's.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2015 :  16:23:55  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Bisco

1. Is there any evidence that Elven wives will take on the surname of their husbands as humans do?

In context of noble houses, definitely. Elminster in Myth Drannor, for one.
Let's start with the context: elves seem to have everything on the scale - one-night stands, long-term affairs, nuclear family, extended family - equally common and recognized (matter-of-factly); so when we're talking about a "marriage", this means a religious ceremony and probably community celebration, after there was
A) explicit commitment after long consideration (typical for elves in general), and/or
B) decision about it as a matter of political/legal convenience (typical for nobles in general).

quote:
2. Who determines the surname of the child? The mother or the father?

If they don't live together at the time, child will normally live with the mother, so the name is her. If they do...
Elves don't live in nuclear families pruned to complete disconnection with their children, they usually live in communinties. And even pretend to be some sort of hivemind.
Hence, my guess is "name of the clan with which they chose to live".
If they don't live with an established clan nor at least in a house of their ancestors (in which case the name is the claim on it), it's "whatever name they chose for household", and may well be a new one rather than one of these. Depending on the reason why not.
If they eloped or something like that, it would be whichever name attracts less attention.
If they try to colonize a new place or are refugees, could switch toward whichever of them leads the effort, invent new or both retain their own.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Bill Bisco
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2015 :  00:19:16  Show Profile Send Bill Bisco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for your replies. I take it as the child's last name could go to either the mother or the father depending on who was more prestigious and that elves also adopt family names sometimes based on who they're with. And that elves are.....well elves.

Thanks a bunch. I shall use this information.

"Real Sharpness Comes Without Effort
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2015 :  09:42:14  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't give an authoritative answer, and it probably doesn't exist, and there are a few sources, but in obscure matters, we may just as well apply general principles.
See what various characters would do. A typical character who isn't schizophrenic or outcast acts consistently and exists in some sort of equilibrium, so what a bunch of them would do, is more or less what they are probably used to do as a society.
Elves value the sense of community and care about "legal" claims, but don't care for genealogy as such (beyond personal connection to their clans and history). So a typical elves will consider first where they belong, second what belongs to them (that is needs, territory, status or connection - "political" matters, not baubles), if this doesn't help, fall back to artistic statements, and not much else.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2015 :  22:38:14  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some elves/elven offspring choose their own surnames, since they cannot claim one from their family either because they don't know their family or have no legitimate claim to do so.

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet." - traditional elven farewell

Please forgive any spelling and grammer errors, as my android touch-screen phone has no spellchecker. If I do make a grammer mistake, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

New laptop, still trying to sort my "scrolls" on its shelves...and when will this cursed thing stop doing things I tell it not to?
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2015 :  13:03:33  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember asking this naming question to Mrs. Elaine Cunningham some years ago, for I wanted to know if an elf who had chosen one surname, inheriting the moonblade named after the other side of his or her family would change his/her name. Unfortunately, I could not find the reference, but it is somewhere in the Chamber of Sages.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page