Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Am I just blind?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2015 :  14:24:03  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I cannot for the life of me find the Yawning Portal Inn in Volo's Guide to Waterdeep. Why would they not give it a full write up? Does anyone know where else to find a full write up? I have the City of Splendors boxed set but a description of that inn is lacking. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2015 :  15:49:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a lot of little bits scattered around... There's some in The Ruins of Undermountain, which is further supplemented by an article in Dragon magazine 227, "The Reports from Undermountain." One of the City System maps shows the floor plan.

I'm not aware of any single comprehensive write-up on the Inn, oddly. It is mentioned in a lot of places, with a few details here and there, but on the whole, it's not much more than "here's the immediate surroundings of a prominent entrance to Undermountain."

I just looked thru the pdfs of FR1 Waterdeep & The North, City of Splendors: Waterdeep, the City of Splendors boxed set, and the module FRE3 Waterdeep. Oh, and The Ruins of Undermountain, of course. There may be something in an issue of Dragon magazine that I've forgotten; I knew of the above article because it was one of the ones I took the time to transcribe into Word.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2015 :  01:26:11  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Wooly. Can i ask you one more big favor? I had the cross reference document that someone made (can't remember who) that cross referenced the locations for everything in Volo's Guide to Waterdeep, and told you the corresponding map location for the large maps in the "City of Splendors" boxed set.

I had it and I cannot find it now.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2015 :  01:41:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's not something I am familiar with.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2015 :  03:46:39  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

That's not something I am familiar with.

Sorry for the confusion. Now I know where I saw it. It's Appendix 4 in the City of Splendor's Boxed set Campaign Guide.

Bah i have so many books and lore I can't even find it when I know i have it.

Oh and I did find that article from Dragon that you mentioned. It's called "Report from Undermountain". Some great bits of news in there, I used it in session today.

Edited by - Cards77 on 05 Jul 2015 03:47:46
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2015 :  20:13:53  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure how relevant it is to your research, but here and here are some good pictures or maps of the Yawning Portal Inn. I used them for reference when I built my model of the inn. If I recall correctly, the floor plan map I linked came from a 4e Adventure that featured the Inn. Which adventure, I don't recall.
Hope it helps.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2015 :  20:33:35  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very cool thank you. I was able to find the picture, and another one that I used to round the place out. I see some other folks have made several maps, but they seemed not to fit the description that well. We settled in the Inn of the Dripping Dagger and we mostly hang out at the Bowels of the Earth but I got what I needed for Yawning. I will flesh it out more as we visit it occasionally. Thank you and awesome model!
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2015 :  20:45:21  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! And no problem. Have fun!

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2015 :  18:24:12  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

I cannot for the life of me find the Yawning Portal Inn in Volo's Guide to Waterdeep. Why would they not give it a full write up? Does anyone know where else to find a full write up? I have the City of Splendors boxed set but a description of that inn is lacking. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Here is a review of the supplement Halls of Undermountain. It is the (4th Edition?) supplement that contains both the Undermountain labyrinth map as well as the tavern map of Yawning Portal. The included maps is the reason I actually purchased a copy from eBay earlier this year.

https://breakfastforowlbears.wordpress.com/2012/04/17/how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-halls-of-undermountain/

And for your viewing pleasure, here are two more awesome illustrations of the Undermountain adventures…

http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/183088/ExpUndermountain42.jpeg

http://dungeonsmaster.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/yawning-portal-01.jpg

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000