Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Spiked Chain 3.5
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Saxmilian
Learned Scribe

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2015 :  16:40:18  Show Profile  Visit Saxmilian's Homepage Send Saxmilian a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok, so a spiked chain is listed as a Large weapon that CAN BE used as a Double weapon, it has only one listed damage (unlike true double weapons such as a Staff 1d6/1d6). So if enchanted, does the it still have to be enchanted for both ends or will a single +1 bonus apply to all attacks, even those when the weapon is used as a Double-weapon?

Cyrinishad
Learned Scribe

300 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2015 :  17:57:25  Show Profile Send Cyrinishad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never interpreted a double-weapon as needing to be enchanted twice to get the +1 bonus with each attack. None of the Double-Weapons in the DMG appear to have two +1 enchantments applied to them...

To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. -Socrates

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss
Go to Top of Page

Saxmilian
Learned Scribe

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2015 :  20:50:15  Show Profile  Visit Saxmilian's Homepage Send Saxmilian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My thoughts as well, just wanted to get some feedback from other DM's to confirm
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2015 :  02:19:49  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spiked Chain in 3.5 is a two-handed weapon with reach. Its not a double weapon. It has the unique ability to attack adjacent foes unlike other reach weapons , that otherwise couldn't.

Maybe you're thinking of 3.0?
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2015 :  02:25:53  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you have a double weapon, such as a two-bladed sword or an Orc double-axe then both sides need a magical enchantment plus masterwork quality.

Copied from the SRD:
Masterwork double weapons incur double the masterwork cost to account for each head (+300 gp masterwork cost per head for a total of +600 gp). Double weapons have separate magical bonuses for their different heads. If randomly determined, the second head of a double weapon has the same enhancement bonus as the main head (01-50 on d%), doubling the cost of the bonus, or its enhancement bonus is one less (51-100) and it has no special abilities. All magic weapons are masterwork weapons.
Go to Top of Page

Cyrinishad
Learned Scribe

300 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2015 :  03:57:58  Show Profile Send Cyrinishad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the clarification Diffan... I guess I can still learn something new every day.

...I think everyone just found out how little I used double weapons in my 3rd edition games. LoL.

To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. -Socrates

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2015 :  01:10:08  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No prob. 3e has a lot of these nuisance with 3.5 and then some people get it also confused with Pathfinder too. Its easy to get the wrong info even when things are mostly the same.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000