Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 D&D rules questions and answers
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2015 :  13:44:29  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all I have a question relating to D&D 5th edition. Yup I've made the jump after sticking with AD&D until now.
I like it here at Candlekeep and don't want to add yet another forum to my list so hope this is okay.

All right, ze question.

I'm running Lost Mine of Phandelver for the kids and the ambushing goblins' stat block (first encounter) says the goblins have +4 to hit with their scimitars. In the PHB it says that melee attacks use Strength, and the goblins have a -1 penalty modifier due to Strength 8.

Where does the +4 come in?

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2015 :  13:45:32  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh and of course feel free to use this thread for other questions.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2015 :  20:28:30  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Monsters don't use the same math for attacks, damage, saves, etc. as PCs use. Additionally, Scimitars can utilize Dex rather than STR
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2015 :  21:27:37  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh!? Where do I find this out, in the MM?
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2015 :  22:36:48  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

Monster design not following PC creation has been something consistent with 5e for quite sometime now. I'm not sure if its specifically mentioned or not but just looking at some monsters I thought it was apparent? As for the scimitar, its in the PHB as a light weapon, allowing Dex to be used for attacks and damage instead of Strength
Go to Top of Page

Dewaint
Learned Scribe

Germany
148 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2015 :  16:29:53  Show Profile Send Dewaint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

Indeed,

with scimmitar as light weapon (DEX bonus of +2), and having a challange rating of 1/4 (proficiency Bonus +2, based on table at p.8 MM), it summarize to a + 4 Bonus :)

Have read somewhere that it can be assumed monster to be proficient with weappons provided in monsterdescription.

Hope it helps

Dewaint

Edited by - Dewaint on 05 Jul 2015 16:34:33
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2015 :  20:17:50  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A lot of the details on building monsters or modifying them is in the DMG. The MM is essentially just that, a manual of Monsters. Building them and customizing them is the the DMG, and that'll answer a lot of questions about why certain stat blocks have... oddities.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2015 :  20:58:16  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies, a lot of D&D 5th is still confusing to me (but then I've always been more storyteller than rules arbiter - in a cu#341;rent game I narrate and the players look up the rules).

Next question:
How do I calculate Passive Wisdom?
Is it:
10 + WIS modifier + Perception skill if the character is progicient?
And does a negative WIS apply or is 10 minimum
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2015 :  21:14:03  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Negative applies, and that is the correct formula.

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

Edited by - Delwa on 05 Jul 2015 21:14:42
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2015 :  20:19:14  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got another one, and this I really can't seem to wrap my head around:
Challenge Rating.

If I have two PCs of level 1, how do I calculate how big my XP budget is, and how does the XP budget correlate to CRs?

Also, is it correct that if a character has an Ability Score with a +2 bonus, and a proficiency bonus of +2 (low level character), then if a character uses a skill with that Ability Score, the character gets a +4 bonuus if he's/she's proficient in that skill?

And if the character doesn't have the skill, does he roll a d20 and add the Ability score modifier, or can't he roll for that skill at all?

Edited by - Caladan Brood on 14 Sep 2015 20:19:43
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2015 :  21:05:06  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. Two first level characters would give you an xp budget of 50xp for an easy rncounter, 200 xp for a deadly encounter.
CR doesn't really factor into your XP budget. Just the xp value for a monster. The xp value of a monster is determined by the monster's CR, but that's it.
If you have two 25 xp monsters, that's 50 xp, which would be considered an easy encounter for two lvl 1 pcs.

2. That's correct.
3. If you aren't proficient in a skill, you can still roll 1d20 + ability mod, but you don't get to add your proficiency bonus. For example, you can try and use thieves tools to pick a lock, even if you aren't trained in them, but you only get your dex bonus to the roll.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000