Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 My maps
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2017 :  14:51:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've already noticed a couple of 'glitches in the matrix'. I am making heavy usage of 'layer masks', and although I put much more effort into getting them perfect on this particular map, there are still a couple of spots that need 'touching up' (like between islands and the coast of Aglarond - thats the biggest one that jumped right out at me when I took a fresh look at it).

And the way layer masks work (for those interested), they are an INCREDIBLY useful tool in map-making. The water terrain and land terrain actually fill the entirety of the canvas - you use 'masks' to hide the parts you don't want to see. Layer Masks are B&W, and they work like switches for pixels - 'white' makes the mask transparent, and 'black' makes the mask opaque. I first learned how to use them when I made the Rivlands map for the World of Ark setting (by Ravenlore Press), and they are ideal for 'satellite image' style maps (actually, they are ideal for any type of map). I'll be using that same technique moving forward with the hills, trees, and mountains (entire layers filled with them, and then I can just 'paint in' the areas I want covered - making that PERFECT for changing, historic style maps, because EVERYTHING can be adjusted 'on the fly').

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Jun 2017 14:51:44
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2017 :  18:22:22  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fantastic! Glad to see more realmsian cartographic contributions from you, Markus! (The daggerford region one is also super splendid! Did you cooperate with Eric Boyd on that one?)

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2017 :  19:02:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The original Daggerford Environs Map - which got change to 'The Shining Vale' - was worked on by myself and Erik Boyd, with contributions by George Krashos and Ed Greenwood, and even a teensy tiny bit of input from Steven Schend (almost entirely regarding the High Moor, and what he pictures it being like now).

And if you ever felt like the most insignificant pebble in a very big pond, YEAH, it was like that... and it was GRAND.

But my recent musings/works of Daggerford are of my own making, and even contradicts a bit of what Erik and I had done (I tossed out the 'Daggerford isle' concept, which was only created in order to explain some odd references to Daggerford being on the South side of the river). I fixed it instead by using the Darkness over Daggerford video game material and town map and made all that a small 'outpost' (extension?) of Daggerford itself on the other side of the river (called 'Daggerfort', because it was literally built around a fortress of the same name).

I DO plan on doing a Daggerford project of my own, for the DM's Guild, but I couldn't even begin to put a date on that. I have lots and LOTS of ideas for it, and want to include references to at least some of the stuff Erik did in Under Illefarn Anew, just to tie it all together and bring it into 5e. I even have the new settlement mapped, and have mapped a keep further up the coast (that one is actually for the Nentir Vale conversion map, come to think of it). So there's tons of stuff no-one else ever gets to see 'in the works'. I just wanted to get this latest one complete, so others can get on with their own projects (that hopefully will bear juicy fruit we can all partake of). I have to lay the rivers down, which takes time. The hills, mountains, and forest should actually go very quickly. Then I have to polish another map that is 99.999% done (so maybe a day, if that), maybe put polish on another (its an older one - my map of the North, which might be worth taking another pass on), and of course, finishing the Nentir Vale conversion... all before actually getting back to the project i started nearly a year ago, mapping the entirety of Faerūn all over again, in exquisite detail, starting with the northern sea of Fallen stars (so Cormyr and Impiltur). That is going to be along a 'map of the month' paradigm, if I manage to keep that pace. We'll see.

And then someday, Daggerford and everything else.

I'm also mapping safehold... and another world... just for me...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Jun 2017 19:04:31
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2017 :  20:00:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shaarech Map, Final Version (thats right... you read that right - I finished something!)

This started out as a small project (as they all do) that grew and grew. Originally I wanted to place the Elsir Vale (which really belongs there) and Darkmoon Vale (from Golarion/PF) in the Shaar, and also finally have a map that shows all the Border Kingdoms (amongst many other details that have been missing). I ditched Darkmoon Vale early-on, and I eventually decided to place the RHoD/SoW AP's (Elsir Vale) in my version of The North (my homebrewed 'Misbegotten Realms'), and stopped working on this... which was a shame, because it was almost finished.

There are a few non-canon locales in Sespech from another scribe's campaign, and technically, the Elsir Vale stuff isn't canon (even though the geography is exactly the same as the 3e FR map's). Even if you don't like those bits, I hope some of you find this useful. I felt it was finally worth finishing, and working with the 3e style map textures again gave me the 'warm fuzzies'.

Edited by - Markustay on 30 Jun 2017 20:06:10
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2017 :  00:21:30  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm looking at the FRIA and it shows Roosting Griffon Inn as being west of Floshin Estates and not all the way south as on your deviantart map.

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2017 :  00:50:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Erik Boyd and I had to tweak quite a few things.
And since Erik is the one who had most of the locales placed on the FRIA maps in the first place, I think he gets final say. There were a few things he admitted he was "never quite happy with the placement" (or that the people over at ProFantasy were getting tired of his constant updates LOL).

EDIT:
I've been checking the three sources involved (the original novel, the game module, and the Fonstad Atlas), and none give a precise location for it. Its not even on the map in the module, even though there is an encounter there. I believe that when we re-worked some things, we did a lot of it by travel-times from the books (which is also highly inaccurate, but when you have nothing else, other than 'halfway to Waterdeep' as your guide, you gotta do what you gotta do).

EDIT2:
The one thing I hadn't looked at was my map - YIKES!
Yeah, I definitely would NOT have moved it that far south if I wasn't directed to by Erik. Consider the placement in the FRIA incorrect - we worked everything out going by the sources. The party wound up there after leaving Dragonspear, and there is no mention of Daggerford, so the assumption here is that the inn must have been encountered before passing Daggerford.

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Jul 2017 00:59:25
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2017 :  01:47:55  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gotcha! Thanks! Also I just looked at the Shaarech map you posted. Amazing! I'm so happy to see you churn out realms stuff!

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2017 :  13:05:54  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

In case someone missed this that I posted in the other thread.

New Faerūn Continent map WIP

The explanation is below it - its bare-bones on purpose, because its meant to be used for historic maps (things like tribal migration patterns, etc), and its very High res so that you can just used the part of it you need without losing any definition. I will be placing the rivers on it (even though some of them have changed over time as well).

EDIT:
The thing I really like about this particular one is that it covers more area than any one single map ever did before - you can see bits and pieces of every other Torillian setting (those two bits off to the lower left are Maztica AND Katashaka!) I added more islands to the chain along the NW edge to better match what Ed had envisioned there (although his island chains - Eskember, Anchormé, etc. - were much further south, but one does what one can, and it also helps explain the Northmen better).

I see the Corsair Domains! :)

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2017 :  20:14:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup.

I've been pluggin' away at the rivers, whenever I have the time, and today, because I liked what I had so far, I started to work on the color-palette for the rest of the terrain. I'm pretty damn happy with the results. A couple of the colors are actually the textures from the old 3e maps, so it has a bit of a nostalgic feel, and yet, is something entirely new.

I really like how Faerūn looks without all the roads and settlements, etc. Its very pretty. And seeing each layer of terrain separately gives one a better awareness of the 'flow' of the geography. I'll have to make sure I post WIPS with each layer separately (and maybe finally do one of those pdf thingies - with layers - that I've been talking about the last couple of years). We'll see. The main thing you notice is how often hills (and sometimes even mountains) run 'under' the forest. The 3e style art was terrible at illustrating that, and even other styles are hard-pressed to really show it right. With layers, you can SEE whats going on.

I've already discovered I need two different layers for mountains (hills are also separate). I have the normal layer under the ice layer (so I can have the glaciers in the mountains), but the problem with that is then I can't have any mountains on a glacier. The only place that becomes a real problem is on the Great Glacier (Pelvuria). Otherwise, though, the Great Glacier is looking pretty shwifty.

I guess I could eventually add another mountain layer for very tall mountains (ones that are snow-capped). We'll see. I've already been toying with the idea of separating the forest terrain after I am done (or rather, adding a layer to darken it in places, to denote Burneal {pine} forests and jungles).

But first I got to get it all roughed-in, before I start with the 'ultimate beautification process'. LOL

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Jul 2017 03:05:15
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2017 :  01:05:07  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This has me salivating Mark.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2017 :  03:16:31  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
this looks great. is the "new" Daggerford Region map like 4e timeline? sorry if that's supposed to be obvious. The locations are so different that I'm not clear if your map is a CORRECT 3e or everything changed around like in 4e..
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2017 :  05:57:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Daggerford region map - if you are referring to the very polished one (with a map key and everything) that I did awhile back but only posted recently, it says right on it, right under where it says 'Shining Vale'. Its "Circa 1357 DR" (hence why the Roosting Griffon Inn is NOT a ruin). It was made specifically for a 2e era campaign using 3e rules (as was the next AP in the series - the Map of the High Forest). The geography used the 1e/2e layout (and now 5e), with various 'corrections' by Erik Boyd.There is an entire AP to go with it - Under Illefarn Anew, which was never released (although bits of it were used in something else).

If you are referring to the much more recent - and unfinished - map of the 'Daggerford Environs', thats 5e era (I'll eventually have that finished and some lore to go with it, explaining everything I did).

Added a lot more stuff to the continental map today as well. Had to fiddle with Zakhara (or, at least, that small portion of it thats showing). The rivers from the Al Qadim maps don't match the rivers from the FR maps (some even cross!). Thats where 'artistic license' (and a basic understanding of geography) comes in. I also tweaked a bunch of lakes (and added some), and tweaked the coasts of Yal Tengri (my original outline came from the Fonstad atlas maps, but The Great Ice Sea was 'fatter' than any of the other maps I have, so thats why I adjusted the coast a bit). Once I add all those tiny island near Waterdeep (The Red Rocks) I'll re-do the layer masks.

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Jul 2017 06:00:20
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11692 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2017 :  15:08:32  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Shaarech Map, Final Version (thats right... you read that right - I finished something!)

This started out as a small project (as they all do) that grew and grew. Originally I wanted to place the Elsir Vale (which really belongs there) and Darkmoon Vale (from Golarion/PF) in the Shaar, and also finally have a map that shows all the Border Kingdoms (amongst many other details that have been missing). I ditched Darkmoon Vale early-on, and I eventually decided to place the RHoD/SoW AP's (Elsir Vale) in my version of The North (my homebrewed 'Misbegotten Realms'), and stopped working on this... which was a shame, because it was almost finished.

There are a few non-canon locales in Sespech from another scribe's campaign, and technically, the Elsir Vale stuff isn't canon (even though the geography is exactly the same as the 3e FR map's). Even if you don't like those bits, I hope some of you find this useful. I felt it was finally worth finishing, and working with the 3e style map textures again gave me the 'warm fuzzies'.

God but this is beautiful. What the hell do you do this in?

Oh, and if anyone says "why are updated maps so important"... here's the exact reason why. Looking over this, I see so many entries that I didn't know or had forgotten about or simply had not linked.... and I was making up names to fill spots. Now, I have some to throw in.

Couple questions. Myth Valorthae in the Methwood? I see that in the Dungeon #178 map of Chessenta. Is there ANY prior lore regarding this or did Brian R. James just add it as an easter egg?

Hmmm, also, good to note that the Imaskari outpost that Madryoch held (Metos) was down near there. It might make a nice place for some of the High Imaskari that flee Mulhorand to hole up in.

I see info on Hardcastle and Kholtar in Shining South. Anywhere else?

Any info really on the city of Three Swords? Where did Kisha, Maerior, Saden, and Paz-Tibura come from?

You have a misspelling on one city (Torsh should be Torsch from what I can tell). I've only found two references to the city (one in Prayer's from the Faithful and one in Vilhon Reach, but both are spelled this way). Any chance anyone has seen anything even remotely approaching lore for Torsch? The only thing I see is that somewhere beneath the city according to Prayers from the Faithful is a drow city a hundred miles long made of interconnected caves and lakes (the drow city is Vaerndoun... and now I'm hunting for info on it).

From Prayers of the Faithful
The much-copied, bawdy narrative Life of Rebrum (evidently penned circa 1210 DR by a traveling merchant, Rebrum of Sheirtalar) mentions a drow trading band trying to barter away the chain to dark elves from a distant city at a trade-fair in the great subterranean cavern-complex of Vaerndoun. (The complex is a network of interconnected caves, many containing lakes, that stretch in a northeast/southwest line for over a hundred miles, with the midpoint deep beneath the surface city of Torsch.)

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 04 Jul 2017 16:15:22
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2017 :  18:08:28  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Daggerford region map - if you are referring to the very polished one (with a map key and everything) that I did awhile back but only posted recently, it says right on it, right under where it says 'Shining Vale'. Its "Circa 1357 DR" (hence why the Roosting Griffon Inn is NOT a ruin). It was made specifically for a 2e era campaign using 3e rules (as was the next AP in the series - the Map of the High Forest). The geography used the 1e/2e layout (and now 5e), with various 'corrections' by Erik Boyd.There is an entire AP to go with it - Under Illefarn Anew, which was never released (although bits of it were used in something else).

If you are referring to the much more recent - and unfinished - map of the 'Daggerford Environs', thats 5e era (I'll eventually have that finished and some lore to go with it, explaining everything I did).

Added a lot more stuff to the continental map today as well. Had to fiddle with Zakhara (or, at least, that small portion of it thats showing). The rivers from the Al Qadim maps don't match the rivers from the FR maps (some even cross!). Thats where 'artistic license' (and a basic understanding of geography) comes in. I also tweaked a bunch of lakes (and added some), and tweaked the coasts of Yal Tengri (my original outline came from the Fonstad atlas maps, but The Great Ice Sea was 'fatter' than any of the other maps I have, so thats why I adjusted the coast a bit). Once I add all those tiny island near Waterdeep (The Red Rocks) I'll re-do the layer masks.

I was referring to the polished up one. Amazing work. I LOVE that map. It just feels right, and much more realistic than random blobs of forest around here and there.

That's my new go to map for all my campaigns.

I'd love to play that AP, I hope it sees daylight some time. I'm mostly in the Marches but I am now moving to Daggerford just to use this map!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2017 :  19:00:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank You - thats precisely the kind of response that makes me keep doing this stuff!

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

God but this is beautiful. What the hell do you do this in?

Oh, and if anyone says "why are updated maps so important"... here's the exact reason why. Looking over this, I see so many entries that I didn't know or had forgotten about or simply had not linked.... and I was making up names to fill spots. Now, I have some to throw in.

Couple questions. Myth Valorthae in the Methwood? I see that in the Dungeon #178 map of Chessenta. Is there ANY prior lore regarding this or did Brian R. James just add it as an easter egg?

Hmmm, also, good to note that the Imaskari outpost that Madryoch held (Metos) was down near there. It might make a nice place for some of the High Imaskari that flee Mulhorand to hole up in.

I see info on Hardcastle and Kholtar in Shining South. Anywhere else?

Any info really on the city of Three Swords? Where did Kisha, Maerior, Saden, and Paz-Tibura come from?

You have a misspelling on one city (Torsh should be Torsch from what I can tell). I've only found two references to the city (one in Prayer's from the Faithful and one in Vilhon Reach, but both are spelled this way). Any chance anyone has seen anything even remotely approaching lore for Torsch? The only thing I see is that somewhere beneath the city according to Prayers from the Faithful is a drow city a hundred miles long made of interconnected caves and lakes (the drow city is Vaerndoun... and now I'm hunting for info on it).

From Prayers of the Faithful
The much-copied, bawdy narrative Life of Rebrum (evidently penned circa 1210 DR by a traveling merchant, Rebrum of Sheirtalar) mentions a drow trading band trying to barter away the chain to dark elves from a distant city at a trade-fair in the great subterranean cavern-complex of Vaerndoun. (The complex is a network of interconnected caves, many containing lakes, that stretch in a northeast/southwest line for over a hundred miles, with the midpoint deep beneath the surface city of Torsch.)

I'm going to check some of those for you, and thanks for the correction; there is another - down in Dambrath - it should be Prastuil, NOT 'Rastuil' (I forgot the damn 'P'!) Expect an update, and keep looking for more mistakes!

The only info I have on Torsh is the same that you have. As for Three Swords, I think it may have been mentioned in Ed's series of articles on Delzimmer (but maybe not). Its definitely mentioned in Dwarves Deep... I think...

Thats also the only official mention of Shaareach in post-1e lore (those articles originally appeared on the WotC boards). On this map I have Shaareach wedged into the Elsir Vale material. When I re-do this region for my new series of FR maps, The Overlook stuff is getting moved SW instead (since I am going back to the 1e/2e layout, because 5e did).

On the Old Empires map you can see Saden - I just placed it a little more 'artistically'. Maerior can also be found on that map, or rather, the one of the city of Luthcheq: You can see the road going off to the east says 'To Maerior' with an arrow. I used to have it almost straight east, but Brian James plunked down Heptios there, so rather than loose it, I moved it a bit south (or one could just say Maerior became Heptios... but I HATE losing perfectly good - and CANON - names like that).

As for the other two - Kisha & Paz-Tibura - its been awhile since I did that section of the map, but I'm pretty sure those were my own adds. Unther has always been ridiculously underrepresented settlement-wise for an 'ancient, monolithic empire'. There are literally NO settlements in the middle of Unther... so I put two there. There really should be hundreds, but i just couldn't stand seeing that area - right in the middle of a powerful empire - completely bare of civilization. Sorry for the confusion.

Myth Valorthae - No clue. I must have gotten it off the 4e map. You could always ask BRJ.

'Kunrad's Rest' is another add - its a very large Inn + Waystop (hostelry, provisioners, and a few artisans/blacksmiths to repair stuff). Its probably even grander than the Way Inn (so pretty much a full settlement at this point). It handles all the caravan traffic between Innarlith and parts south (like the Elsir/Channath Vale and beyond) - its literally a halfway point between that city and Shaarmid, and also provides the Border Kingdoms with an overland trade route (since many of them do not like to pay the taxes imposed by competitors to use their ports). It just made sense for something like that to be there.

Kunrad himself is a portly, jovial, red-haired (but now balding) fellow who can trace his ancestry to the Moonshaes (half Northman, half Ffolk). He occasionally tells stories to entertain guests of his 'adventuring days', but he is also prone to bouts of melancholy (something in his past he refuses to talk about). Nor does anyone know how he came to own the inn that had always existed at this spot, but it has grown and become a very popular stop along the trade road there.

Wemic, Loxo, Shaaran tribesmen, and even a few rare orcs (and other goblinoids) out of the local hills and forests, are all welcome to come in the gates and trade, or enjoy the Inn's hospitality (Cunrad gives free drinks to tribesmen, but won't allow them to get outright drunk - he feels it helps keep the place from being attacked by the local tribes). Thri_kreen are NOT allowed inside (they make everyone else nervous), but they may set up outside the walls, if they wish to trade. Absolutely NO violence is tolerated anywhere inside or within sight of the walls, or risk punishment of being permanently banned from coming back. The occasional 'good natured' bar-fight is to be expected, however, and Kunrad even joins in from time to time (NO weapons!)

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Jul 2017 19:08:19
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11692 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2017 :  05:49:30  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, will hunt in Ed's stuff for three swords tomorrow. Both it and Torsch are almost literally where I was putting two other settlements. Hardcastle is also a little more north of a castle I was putting in... so sliding that north and letting it have grown over the past century.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2017 :  04:56:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An update on the Continental Map.

All update notes are on the page below the map. Still far from complete, of course.

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Jul 2017 04:56:58
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2017 :  12:25:10  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That map is becoming even better the more you work on it. Really a beautiful thing.

I have a question, though. Is this map set in the pre-Spellplague era, or the post-Sundering 2.0 era? I ask because, seeing the forms of terrain, it must be one of two those eras. However, if is the post-Sundering 2.0, you should include at least the Ash Lake (the lake near Djerad Thymar in the Old Empires area), as that lake is mentioned in the SCAG (p.14). I should include the Lance Lake as well, for completion's sake... but, unlike the Ash Lake, that one isn't mentioned in SCAG or Erin's novels.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 16 Jul 2017 12:32:58
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2017 :  17:05:46  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Enjoyed the progress update.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2017 :  17:21:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its supposed to be 5e, which is causing me to scratch my head a bit (since technically, we only 'know' for sure about the stuff Mike Schley has done in his map of the western heartlands).

The one thing I meant to add (but forgot about) was the new lake on the High Moor.

Which means re-doing all my layer masks again.

On the other hand, the way in which this map is being done is so that it can be adaptable to any edition, so that I can produce historic maps. Thats part of the reason why I expanded it so much (despite the fact the finished map will show less than this WIP does) - I NEED to be able to see EVERYTHING in order to better picture "large, sweeping events" (population migrations, the rise of fall of mighty empires, geographic catastrophes {*cough* ELVES *cough*}, and even just natural erosion (we lost quite a bit of 'coastal stuff' over the past millennia, according to Ed's 2e sources).

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Jul 2017 17:22:03
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2017 :  17:46:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've also been playing with color-variations in the different kinds of forest. None of the terrain 'swatches' are set-in-stone as of now. I'm still playing with stuff. I wanted just plain, solid colors for the initial release, but I realize some are just way too close to others and could cause confusion (like the 'rolling hills' terrain I have going on over in K-T - K-T always had that, and its been sorely missing from Faerūn, although mike schley has been doing a bang-up job of adding some of it in in his more recent maps).

I'm also trying to stick with a somewhat darker palette - I want it all to seem 'grittier'. The 3e map was wonderful, and its what got me started doing this in the first place, but in hindsight, its too 'bright and cheery'. Its entirely the wrong vibe for a setting thats supposed to be ancient, and built on top of the bones of a thousand fallen civilizations. Even Mike Schely's maps (and god knows how much I love those) are a bit too 'happy' - they are perfect for an idyllic, sylvan setting (like the Feywild), but they just don't express that 'somber, brooding mood' I am trying to go for. I need people to look at the maps and think, "bad things have happened there".

And yet, life goes on, and light continues - barely - to prevail.

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Enjoyed the progress update.

-- George Krashos
And everyone can thank Krash for making me finally realize we have needed something like this a for a really long time.

I can only hope you (and others like you) do amazing things with it down the road.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2017 :  03:53:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Latest WIP of the continental map.

You can read the description under the map for any explanation (and if something is still confusing you, just ask).

Enjoy

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Aug 2017 03:53:55
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2017 :  04:28:33  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow... nuff said. That map is wonderful!

That said, how are you going to deal with the changes to the terrain in canon? (Luirien comes to mind).

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2017 :  05:03:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm actually looking forward to blowing it all up. LOL

I wanted to finish this first, but I don't really think I need too much more to do what needs doing down in the SE of Faerūn. The NW follows Mike Shley's map almost exactly (I fine-tuned a couple of things, but its the same layout - we both used the same base maps), so there is nothing to be done there. You'll notice I've already added-in the lakes that are new to 4e/5e. Next I'll have to do a version of 4e, and then I can do a version of 5e. Those should go quick (famous last words).

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11692 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2017 :  14:11:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm actually looking forward to blowing it all up. LOL

I wanted to finish this first, but I don't really think I need too much more to do what needs doing down in the SE of Faerūn. The NW follows Mike Shley's map almost exactly (I fine-tuned a couple of things, but its the same layout - we both used the same base maps), so there is nothing to be done there. You'll notice I've already added-in the lakes that are new to 4e/5e. Next I'll have to do a version of 4e, and then I can do a version of 5e. Those should go quick (famous last words).

Yes, this is beautiful, seeing it without the country names and such to distract you. I wish I had more options in CC3+ for things like cliff edges to have more of a curve... or wish there was a cliff edge tool that you could just drag a line across... because I can't get the curve of the landrise exactly right.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2017 :  23:16:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, cliffs are hard, but I am getting better at them. I've done the Great Rift itself, but not the Landrise, nor the escarpment in Thay (the line is there, but not all the fine detail I need to do to make them look like cliffs). I haven't bother to add the cliffs along the sword coast - its a rough place to put them, and it throws everything off (because if this is an 'overhead' view, then it should just be a thin line). I may add them eventually - we'll see. I want to get the base map done, and then i can always get back to it and 'pretty it up' at a later time.

But it does look VERY different without the roads and settlements - I had to stop myself from adding the Dragonwall. I plan to do a layered pdf, because you REALLY get the feel of the terrain when you can see each thing separately (like all those hills that run UNDER the forests). It might be fun to do a layer with realms labeled - maybe even borders, but FR doesn't really have 'hard' borders. You know what would be even more fun? Doing that for different time-periods. Now that I have a 'master map', I can do that sort of stuff.

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Aug 2017 03:36:02
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2017 :  01:11:58  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Holy smokes! Great work Markustay!

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2017 :  01:19:13  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks fantastic.

I've found cliffs are actually easier the more 'realistic' you draw the map because of the way light and shadow fall on the rock face. With mountains, you paint both side; but with cliffs, you can get away with only painting the dark or light "side" of the rock face and it works perfectly well.

Professional illustrator and comic book artist.
Portfolio
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2017 :  02:45:15  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man, hats off. This is looking magnificent. Once it's done and I get a tutorial from you how to use it "properly", I'm going to have so much fun.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2017 :  02:46:14  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

YYou know what would be even more fun? Doing that for different time=periods. Now that i have a 'master map', I can do that sort of stuff.

This.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000