Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Request for info about Dwarf tattoos.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Doge
Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2015 :  16:48:06  Show Profile Send Doge a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Do Dwarves tattoo themselves?
If so what are the subjects of their tattoos? Runes? Symbols?
Any particular color for their tattoos?
Any particular locations for their tattoos?
Who can have tattoos?
Does Dwarf society accept tattoos or shun it?

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2015 :  16:57:54  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some dwarves prefer a sexy bearded centerfold laying across some freshly mined ore.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2015 :  11:35:09  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't recall any information ever being released on this subject so I think, in general, the answer is they most likely don't. However, this is actually a good topic and I would pose the question to Ed's thread. I wouldn't be surprised if some clans tattoo themselves.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2015 :  11:49:19  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Races of Faerun (i think) mentions wild dwarves as being heavily tattooed. It also mentions that dwarven outcasts, criminals, and exiles have their faces and arms tattooed (before they are chucked out to die).

Dwarves Deep (i think) mentions the following.

quote:
Messengers are used throughout the Deep Realm as a matter of course and on the surface when matters of import must be communicated (i.e. news of the death of a dwarf to his or her kin). Dwarven messengers carry small iron bucklers as badges of their office, and may also bear a circle-inside-a-circle tattoo at the base of their throat.

quote:
The Handsome Dwarf: Almost all dwarves are hirsute; covered with at least some hair all over their bodies. Jungle dwarves have the least hair, and shield dwarves the most. Dwarves of both sexes may shave, perfume, trim, and comb all their hair, or tattoo themselves. Their growth may be inhibited by treating areas of the body with a paste of secret ingredients, then searing the area in open flame. Tattoos also inhibit the growth of hair.

quote:
Wild Dwarves are dark-skinned, short, and stout. Their bodies are covered with tattoos and grease which serves to keep off insects, and also makes them hard to hold (reflected in their armour class). They wear nothing except their long, woven hair which serves as adequate clothing, which they plaster with mud into crude armour when going to war.

Thats all i've got in my archives

I should have said duergar exiles and outcasts are tattoed, not dwarves (doesnt mean they arent i just havent found anything to indicate they are)

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 26 Jun 2015 14:01:08
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2015 :  12:39:18  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Complete Book of Dwarves is not a specific Realms sourcebook, but there you find these two passages:

"Battleragers are the most distinctive of warriors. With rings through their noses, ears, and sometimes lips, they will dye their hair and beards vivid colors. They often shave their faces and heads, sometimes leaving long tufts of hair which are stiffened with lime or thick grease. Tattoos on the face and body in the form of spirals and abstract designs are a source of intense pride for all Battleragers."

and

"The Vindicator is imbued with the spiritual power of his deity. When this power is manifested, he becomes a fearless and powerful warrior. He is able to enter a rage similar to that experienced by Battleragers; his face becomes contorted and he grinds his teeth together.
(...)
Distinctive Appearance: They usually have
facial and body tattoos."

Since there are known Battleragers in the Realms (see Salvatore's novels) and Clangeddin's entry in Demihuman Deities states that fighter/specialty priests can be of any fighter/cleric kit, which includes vindicators, I think both would apply for Realmsian dwarves.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2015 :  13:40:13  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Demihumans of the realms' talk about the yellow dethek runes that are carved on duergar exiles (there's even an illustration)

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

Snow
Learned Scribe

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2015 :  17:51:03  Show Profile Send Snow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would think that Dwarven fascination with runic script and rune magic would be a logical connection to them liking runic tattoos.

Edited by - Snow on 26 Jun 2015 19:31:52
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2015 :  00:39:29  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tattooed runes (mundane or magical) does make sense. Dwarven priests extensively employ runes in their spells and magical constructs, so it's conceivable that they might be tattooed on when the target of the magic is an individual.

Some AD&D-era lore described dwarves who'd branded themselves with clan symbols. (Although this might have been specific to a non-FR setting.)
I suppose that while some humans like to decorate their flesh with injected ink, some dwarves might like to decorate their flesh with burnt scar tissue - so long as it's done with the appropriate degree of dwarven artistry, skill, and craftsmanship, of course. And then there's piercings - dwarves might like to dangle miniature chisels and tongs from themselves.

I suppose that common and cheap dwarven tattoos/markings might be the boring stereotypical stuff you'd expect: axes and hammers and anvils and such. While humans are often known to tattoo images of their mates and children onto themselves, dwarves might instead tattoo images of their clan's most revered figures of industry, craft, and war. Any race could tattoo religious images onto themselves. Dwarves might even mark themselves with some insignia of rank and accomplishment. No dwarf would ever be caught dead wearing a tattoo of roses or flowers, lol.

I recall a dwarf who's entire beard (except for two strands) was shaved off and his face tattooed with a ritual marking as a mark of shame. But I cannot recall the source, I think it was an early (and forgettable) FR novel or Dragon article.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 04 Jul 2015 00:48:33
Go to Top of Page

Snow
Learned Scribe

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2015 :  21:47:11  Show Profile Send Snow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interestingly, from a generalized D&D/Fantasy perspective, a Google Image Search of "Tattooed Dwarf" does return a ton of images. The predominant theme seems to say that dwarf berserkers, barbarians, primitives, etc. love being heavily tattooed. Lol.

That prompted me to Google a search for dwarves and the Runescarred Berserker PrC (3.5 Unapproachable East book) ... but it doesn't look like there are any being talked about.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2015 :  02:24:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snow

Interestingly, from a generalized D&D/Fantasy perspective, a Google Image Search of "Tattooed Dwarf" does return a ton of images. The predominant theme seems to say that dwarf berserkers, barbarians, primitives, etc. love being heavily tattooed. Lol.

That prompted me to Google a search for dwarves and the Runescarred Berserker PrC (3.5 Unapproachable East book) ... but it doesn't look like there are any being talked about.

Probably because Rashemen isn't known to have many dwarves and that prestige class is aimed towards the human Rashemi of the country. Also, that general area is known for tattoo magic (i.e. the red wizards are all tattooed in order to become a red wizard, plus they have several tattoo spells.... I also wouldn't be surprised to find that they have a temple of monks teaching the tattooed monk prestige class (and I could see some wizards and/or clerics of a martial bent possibly joining it just for the saves... wizards then going enlightened fist.... I can definitely see the tattoos to not have to eat/sleep/drink and/or the immunity to detect thoughts, lies, or determine alignment with a +10 bluff bonus being favored by some illusionists and enchanters)

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000