Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Border Kingdoms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mr Dark
Seeker

50 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2015 :  18:25:11  Show Profile Send Mr Dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Normally, I run my games along the Sword Coast or in NW Faerun. However, I have been looking over some things and have been attracted to the Border Kingdoms. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find much information on the area and would like to know a bit more on climate, what monsters tend to be present and the cultural make up of the area.

Can anyone help?

Canon stops where the table begins.

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2015 :  19:18:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of the info on them were in old polyhedron articles, but there is a pretty good section on them in Powers of Faerūn.

I thought I had a WIP of my FR Shaareach map (which includes the Border Kingdoms) uploaded, but I can't find it anywhere on the web.

If you want, I can look through my files and post it somewhere - it isn't finished (what else is new ), but I believe the Border Kingdoms part is done.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Jun 2015 19:22:39
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2015 :  22:19:25  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are also articles on Wizards site - see The Border Kingdoms Archive.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2015 :  23:18:00  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh, the Border Kingdoms - one of my favorite regions in the Realms. At one point, I had made photocopies and printouts of all the Border Kingdom articles, and assembled them in a binder. I think I lost it during a move. If I was to do it again, a comprehensive PDF would be the way to go. There used to be an index of all the Polyhedron issues where locations in the Border Kingdoms were detailed. The rest, as pointed out by TBeholder, are archived online.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2015 :  00:18:29  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just turned all my photocopies into PDFs.

I also queried Ed whether there were any "lost" Border Kingdom articles and he advised me that there were none, although he planned to finish the series "one day".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2015 :  19:56:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, looking for this old project (map) made me yearn to do maps again, so I slapped some labels on this WIP to make it useable. Its still far from done - other features need to be labeled, roads added, etc... but it is functional. The Border Kingdoms are actually just a small part of this (and I believe all of that is canon - I just made the Powers of Faerūn material work with the older 1e/2e layout).

My old Shaareach project map

Note that I had added Nentir Vale onto this map (amongst other things). Just read my notes under the map at DeviantART - that should explain everything. Sometimes my epic ADD astounds even me - this project ran in several different directions at once, and completely shifted from its original intent (to simply put Shaareach back on the map).

So Shaareach is called 'Elsir Vale' by the folks who have settled in the region. At least, thats my fix for all the conflicts. I figure 'Shaareach' was an ancient elven name for the region, but the Elves have all but disappeared in the past couple of centuries, and thats why the area is very different then presented in 1e (and 2e). I'm still not thrilled by the road passing through the Misty Vale, but we can assume it is some sort of new 'compromise' brokered by the dwarves (dwarves have a very large and powerful presence in The Shaar).

I am in the processing of finishing this one. Then I will finish at least two others that are near completion. After that, who knows.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Jun 2015 19:57:15
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2015 :  20:35:31  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh, more Markustay maps are always a good thing.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Lothlos
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2015 :  21:06:18  Show Profile Send Lothlos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Amen brother

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2015 :  03:30:10  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

More Misbegotten Realms would be a good thing. Sorry, just had to let you know I'm still watiently paiting for your work to be released.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2015 :  13:22:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will be getting back to the Misbegotten realms shortly. I have another map I would REALLY like to finish between this one and that, though. That one is also 95% finished, so like this one should not take me long to polish and post.

This map actually disagrees with my Misbegotten Realms, so they are not compatible, AT ALL. In fact, looking back, this may have been the inspiration for that (because this is where I first tried pasting other realms into THE Realms). In the MR maps, Nentir (and Darkmoon) Vale(s) were placed in The North. In fact, my most recent add to that map placed Elsir vale (re-envisioned) up around Mirabar. The Shaar was simply too far away to be relevant. The purpose of the Misbegotten Realms is that no matter what direction you head in, there is an adventure waiting for you, so the whole Red Hand of Doom and Scales of war thing fit that need perfectly up around the Spine of the World.

This map shows the Border Kingdoms accurately, using a tweaked version of the 3e map, which is why I posted it here. The Nentir Vale stuff can just be ignored or used, as DMs see fit. I did use a couple of Mapolq's settlements up in Sespech, just to flesh it out.

Edited by - Markustay on 30 Jun 2015 15:00:55
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2015 :  17:20:54  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dazzler may have it. I know he tries to store anything he can related to the Realms, including fan-made stuff I think. He gave me many of his files a few months ago, I'll have a look and see if I can't come up with it for you.

And I'm glad to hear that your MR is still in the works.

Edit: Sorry this post was supposed to go you Markus' thread. Moving it there.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

Edited by - The Arcanamach on 25 Jun 2015 17:23:38
Go to Top of Page

Mr Dark
Seeker

50 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2015 :  20:27:41  Show Profile Send Mr Dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the info. I am going through everything you good people posted and am digesting it now. Of course my active campaign and real life has me tied up so I will post thoughts later.

Canon stops where the table begins.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2015 :  15:08:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know of any 'Border Kingdoms' that did not appear ON the map in Power of Faerūn?

Either from old Polyhedron articles, other sources, or even accidental omission?

Thanks --- Mark

Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2015 :  17:36:43  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Does anyone know of any 'Border Kingdoms' that did not appear ON the map in Power of Faerūn?

Either from old Polyhedron articles, other sources, or even accidental omission?

Thanks --- Mark

As far as i can tell examining the Polyhedron 109 map and comparing it to the Power of Faerun one, the only thing missing in the latter is the label "The Sward" (like the labels for the other kingdoms/realms like "Barony of the Black Saddle) in the nothern part of the triangle formed by Waernd, Thur and Sorndorn, west of Ondeeme.

I don't think we know anything about "The Sward" because the Polyhedron articles were in alphabetical order and stopped at "Owlhold" thus never got the the S. But the name rings a bell so i'll check the issues about near Kingdoms and see if it's mentioned somewhere.

EDIT: hasty research turned up nothing on "The Sward", could be the bell i heard ringing was from the Swagdar of Dambrath ...

Edited by - Demzer on 30 Jun 2015 17:49:59
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2015 :  03:41:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Demzer.

New map is going to have a lot of locales I left out of older maps.

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2015 :  13:01:29  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

I don't think we know anything about "The Sward" because the Polyhedron articles were in alphabetical order and stopped at "Owlhold" thus never got the the S. But the name rings a bell so i'll check the issues about near Kingdoms and see if it's mentioned somewhere.

EDIT: hasty research turned up nothing on "The Sward", could be the bell i heard ringing was from the Swagdar of Dambrath ...

Check out the articles on High Emmerock, they have tidbits on The Sward:

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frbk/20061108a
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frbk/20061115
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frbk/20061122

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2015 :  15:07:34  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo
Check out the articles on High Emmerock, they have tidbits on The Sward:

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frbk/20061108a
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frbk/20061115
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frbk/20061122

Thanks for the pick up, hashimashadoo!

Turns out "The Sward" isn't out of the Power of Faerun map, apparently it moved quite a lot west. In the Polyhedron map it's where i said, in the PoF map it's waaay west, between Themasult and Dunbridges! That's why i found nothing looking at the articles about Ondeeme, the Mukshars and the other neighboring Kingdoms, come 3E they aren't neighboring anymore!

Sorry for the confusion, Markustay!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000