Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Liam's Hold ...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2017 :  16:30:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just read on this site that the draft of a coaster is only about 5' - that means that they could theoretically pass over a ford at the town itself, but nothing larger than that. Even a cog should be able to make it, and Norse-type ships would have no problem.

The ship I was actually looking at was the Royal Clipper when designing my bridge - I figure if I took the largest sailing ship in the world as a base, everything else could make it through. The draft on that is 18.5 feet, and I allowed 20' deep water under normal conditions (it might have trouble in a dry season).

So, ummmm... yeah. THAT monster could dock at Daggerford, even without me doubling the size of my bridge.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 30 Mar 2017 16:32:32
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2017 :  19:43:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am going to continue this conversation over in the new Daggerford thread I created - we've gone WAY off topic here. Plus, I needed to post my Daggerford map, and a link to it, for this discussion, and you can find that there.

Also, I want ChoucrouteGarnieDu42 to post more stuff about Darkness over Daggerford, which the thread should be about. I wanna see more screenshots and maps!

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 30 Mar 2017 19:45:02
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2017 :  22:07:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nothing new, ChoucrouteGarnieDu42?

I was hoping to get some more info about the town itself, and mostly the "Stop Hole Abbey" - the other two temples have the god's name on them, but I don't know what deity that one is dedicated to, if any.

Any and all help would be appreciated (if anyone else has this old game - I may have to get it myself to finish this).

Go to Top of Page

LordXenophon
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2017 :  05:27:46  Show Profile Send LordXenophon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have never found any official maps for most towns in the realms. Small towns don't really need them, unless you intend to have a major battle in the middle of Main Street.

Even if you did find official maps, they tend not to be consistant. I have several different maps of Baldur's Gate, for example, all with major contraditions in the size of the city and the locations of the major buildings - one doesn't even have the Wide.

What most DM's do is just draw up a map and make that the official map for their campaign.

Now, if you want an ultra-nasty version of the wraith of Liam himself, augmented with Van Richten's Guide to Ghosts, so you can turn Liam's Hold into your own version of Sleepy Hollow, I have you covered.

Stop Hole Abbey isn't a temple, by the way. It's the guild hall of the thieves' guild. If there's a shrine in it, it's probably to Mask.

Disintegration is in the eye of the Beholder.

Edited by - LordXenophon on 30 Apr 2017 05:32:11
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2017 :  07:31:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info.

I would imagine it should have some sort of shrine (to Mask) in it, unless the name is supposed to be a joke.

Oh, and I do have maps for about half the settlements in the Realms - you'd be surprised. I chalk the contradictions up to 'changes over time' (if you think of them as 'in-game', maybe some maps are few decades out of date).

Edited by - Markustay on 30 Apr 2017 07:34:49
Go to Top of Page

LordXenophon
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2017 :  14:32:37  Show Profile Send LordXenophon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The name is a reference to the hole in the top of a keg. I don't know about the "abbey" part.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2017 :  17:14:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, then - I could just spin it as a temple to Saint Dionysius, but in reality its actually a front for mask/the thieves. It would be a great way for them to 'hide in plain sight' (which they are obviously doing right there).

I doubt Dionysius would care much - just pay him some lip-serving and serve booze and he's good.

EDIT:
Now you have me thinking about a tavern of sorts, above a temple to Mask, which is also the thieves guild, and of course, considering all the trade and nearby river, you have tunnels that lead to the river's edge downstream (maybe near or under the bridge?) for smuggling.

Heck, if I REALLY wanted to go nuts, we could just say there never really was a Saint Dionysius (slightly re-writing Krash's lore on the subject) - Mask took on that persona in order to do things like this. Drunks and thieves - they go together.
He's called 'Mask' for a reason.

Edited by - Markustay on 03 May 2017 17:18:36
Go to Top of Page

LordXenophon
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2017 :  15:27:45  Show Profile Send LordXenophon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that's pretty much what the place is supposed to be. The tavern, I mean.

Edited by - LordXenophon on 04 May 2017 15:28:29
Go to Top of Page

ChoucrouteGarnieDu42
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2017 :  07:26:27  Show Profile Send ChoucrouteGarnieDu42 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(A lil' short of time right now, I'll get back to the cartography early July buddy boys!).
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2017 :  18:25:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool, Thank You for the heads-up. I've put the Daggerford stuff on the back-burner for now, so that works out perfect.

See you then.

Go to Top of Page

ChoucrouteGarnieDu42
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2017 :  15:15:19  Show Profile Send ChoucrouteGarnieDu42 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heyyo boys! Things are still crazy on my side, but I don't forget my promise! Going back into the fray as soon as able (let's say around early/mid-September). See ya!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2017 :  15:49:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No worries - like I said, I'm busy with other stuff ATM (doing 'historical era' maps for FR). I still want to finish this, but I needed this time-away anyhow.

Cheers

Go to Top of Page

ChoucrouteGarnieDu42
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2019 :  19:22:15  Show Profile Send ChoucrouteGarnieDu42 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ultraquick post, I'm still in the thick of it but I haven't forgotten my promise. Whether in a month or in a year I'll see it done!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2019 :  22:10:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChoucrouteGarnieDu42

Ultraquick post, I'm still in the thick of it but I haven't forgotten my promise. Whether in a month or in a year I'll see it done!

Markus seems to go through cycles of being very active here, then not visiting for months at a time. He's currently in the latter phase of that cycle.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000