Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Drakhon?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

novaseven
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2015 :  15:46:26  Show Profile Send novaseven a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was readying about Calimshan's history and saw references to "Drakhon warrior-priests". What exactly are Drakhon? Some kind of half-dragon or dragon humanoid? Google is surprisingly little help. Thanks for any help you can give me!

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2015 :  16:10:21  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only found a few references to them in all my archives, Steven Schend is probably the man who would know, but they sound like a noble family of priests (no idea what deity they could be), that united the people of Calimshan behind their banner and fought and ousted the beholders.

It is stated that the beholders were ousted by warrior priests of faerunian gods more commonly recognised in the modern day. Given that Tempus was Illuskan it would have to be another militant deity, perhaps Helm, or Garagos. It is noted that they ousted the beholders because of a stubborn refusal to submit to the rule of non humans (and because the beholders were busy in the Lake of Steam), so perhaps that stubborness or human supremacy is a clue to their patron deity.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 29 May 2015 16:10:38
Go to Top of Page

Cyrinishad
Learned Scribe

300 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2015 :  17:00:06  Show Profile Send Cyrinishad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think dazzlerdal's on the right track here. The Drakhon are the calimshan dynasty that followed the Bakkal dynasty.

Nothing to do with racial templates.

To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. -Socrates

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss
Go to Top of Page

novaseven
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2015 :  17:07:49  Show Profile Send novaseven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys!
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2015 :  23:53:52  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by novaseven

I was readying about Calimshan's history and saw references to "Drakhon warrior-priests". What exactly are Drakhon? Some kind of half-dragon or dragon humanoid?

A family, Calimshan dynasty. They installed themselves in the palace via removing beholders from it in -1402 DR.
Drakhon Sabban in Caravan Ward specialized in horse (and other mounts) trade in Calimport is obviously named after them. Possibly created by them in the first place (since they did massive renovations after fires), but not necessarily - after this the city became a trade hub and doubled in size, and it's closer to the outside.
quote:
Google is surprisingly little help.

What's surprising?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: