Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Archmage cover
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fish321
Acolyte

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2015 :  19:46:49  Show Profile Send fish321 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/ProductDetailPage.aspx?sequence=2&group=catalog&mailingID=0&mailingGroupID=0&catalogID=2156640&org=CXAL&sku=0786965754

I know there are a lot of you that are not salvatore fans but personally I can't wait for this book. The title of the series leads me to believe it should be fun.

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2015 :  03:56:39  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yay, Drizzt!

Boo, no Gromph: The actual Archmage!

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2015 :  04:24:46  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drizzt is an archmage now? If so, I can't wait for Elminster to become a barbarian!

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2015 :  04:25:55  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(That was a joke, btw.)

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2015 :  04:26:07  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gromph won't be in it?

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2015 :  04:57:56  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Archmage has everything Drizzt’s fans crave: action, adventure, characters that resonate with equal measures of warrior spirit and deep compassion, and no shortage of wicked dark elves!"

Gods I hate crap like this. It makes the readers seem stupid and juvenile. I want a good story....period.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2015 :  05:34:02  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

Gods I hate crap like this. It makes the readers seem stupid and juvenile. I want a good story....period.

One, it's about Goth Emo Conan series in the first place.
Two, we are seaking of the same folk who order covers with chainmail bikinis? It would be insulting our intelligence only if there was any reason to think it's not simply their own level. And... well... you know?
That said, cover of The North still makes me chuckle. I'd believe it's intentional if ogres roasted her with fig leaves, but as it is...

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2015 :  13:57:29  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is Tyler Jacobson still illustrating these covers, or is it a new artist? The style looks a bit different from Jacobson's other works but it could just be the dark palette.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2015 :  15:29:43  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ugh, not a fan of the cover art.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2015 :  04:29:20  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am rarely insulted by chainmail bikinis, lol.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2015 :  05:09:09  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aulduron

Gromph won't be in it?

Yes, of course. He's the title character.

He's just not the money-maker, so he doesn't get the cover.

Think of FR cover art cameos as kinda like high fashion models. It's not about who does the most work, or even about what's really going on within the pages of the publication that follows. It's about whoever has that "It" factor that marketing and advertising folks like.

I wonder if we'll ever get a sneak peak behind the curtain of cover art sessions, where the different NPCs are all sitting in their high chairs at fancy lit-up mirrors, getting their hair and make-up done, having some lackey feed them grapes and chocolates and serving them cocktails, as they bicker about who deserves the cover the most, and who's sleeping with which writer, who's on drugs, who's secretly a cutter, etc. ...

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2015 :  05:20:18  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Two, we are seaking of the same folk who order covers with chainmail bikinis?

Hmph, I will have you know that Drizzt has NEVER been caught wearing a chainmail bikini--on a book cover or otherwise!

Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2015 :  14:00:48  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Yes, of course. He's the title character.

Gotcha. You meant on the cover, not in the book. Makes much more sense now.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2015 :  15:09:01  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think I've ever seen Drizzt look more emo outside of satirical works with the intention of making him look that way.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

charger_ss24
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2015 :  15:15:51  Show Profile Send charger_ss24 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Ugh, not a fan of the cover art."

It's a hell of a lot better than Drizzt's Fabio covers in the Companions Codex Trilogy!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2015 :  18:43:11  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by charger_ss24

"Ugh, not a fan of the cover art."

It's a hell of a lot better than Drizzt's Fabio covers in the Companions Codex Trilogy!

Yep, those sucked as well. I miss Easley, Caldwell, Brom, Parkinson, etc.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

fish321
Acolyte

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2015 :  01:04:24  Show Profile Send fish321 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think my favorite covers in this series were the never winter books.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2015 :  03:32:37  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not really wowed by this art. It doesn't strike me as particularly accurate to the books, nor does it feature an exciting pose or moment. It's just Drizzt mugging for the "camera".

But I also don't find it bad, per sé.

I guess it reminds me of some of the better fan art of Drizzt that I've seen, over the years. It's a pic inspired by the Drizzt character of RAS, which means that it conveys how the artist feels. So I don't really want to knock that, when it's clearly packaged as fan art.

But when it's slapped on a book cover, well, I'm a little disappointed. It doesn't look finished. It just looks...meh.

I will say, however, that that is one very detailed-looking face! Good job on the artist, for that. So I guess I am KINDA wowed, after all.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2015 :  15:25:37  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

I'm not really wowed by this art. It doesn't strike me as particularly accurate to the books, nor does it feature an exciting pose or moment. It's just Drizzt mugging for the "camera".

But I also don't find it bad, per sé.

I guess it reminds me of some of the better fan art of Drizzt that I've seen, over the years. It's a pic inspired by the Drizzt character of RAS, which means that it conveys how the artist feels. So I don't really want to knock that, when it's clearly packaged as fan art.

But when it's slapped on a book cover, well, I'm a little disappointed. It doesn't look finished. It just looks...meh.

I will say, however, that that is one very detailed-looking face! Good job on the artist, for that. So I guess I am KINDA wowed, after all.

I will say that it's certainly better than the cover of Starless Night.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2015 :  16:21:13  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The cover dosesn't look that bad (face it, some of the previous Drizzt covers are not that good). I'm reading Spellstorm right now, and it has a cool cover too.

A have a like-hate relationship with Gromph. There are times when I like him, but then he turns around and does something nasty. I'm kind of excited for this story

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2015 :  20:35:35  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On its own, I'd agree that the cover of Archmage isn't that bad. As charger_ss24 noted earlier, at least it's not Drizzt posing for a hair product commercial. :P

I do miss Lockwood's covers, though. I didn't mind when Drizzt's face was all over on them, because there was context. It wasn't just "handsome dark elf posing with scimitars with dark and mysterious backdrop", which seems to be the trend of what we'll be getting from now on...
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2015 :  12:07:34  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmph, I will have you know that Drizzt has NEVER been caught wearing a chainmail bikini--on a book cover or otherwise!

You'll jinx it. "We did a survey on Tumblr as to what fans want to see of Drizzt..."
Remember 4e and then feeble attempts to figure out how to "improve" it by asking 4e fans after others mostly left those columns long ago? So it's plausible.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2015 :  21:01:50  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You'll jinx it. "We did a survey on Tumblr as to what fans want to see of Drizzt..."
Remember 4e and then feeble attempts to figure out how to "improve" it by asking 4e fans after others mostly left those columns long ago? So it's plausible.

Now that you mention it, we really don't know what he's sporting under all that leather. I do recall that RAS has said that Drizzt wears a mithral chain "shirt", but for all we know, it could hang really low and be cut really high at the abs. My gods, we might have just uncovered Realms-Shaking Events News!

Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2015 :  21:11:16  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Now that you mention it, we really don't know what he's sporting under all that leather. I do recall that RAS has said that Drizzt wears a mithral chain "shirt", but for all we know, it could hang really low and be cut really high at the abs. My gods, we might have just uncovered Realms-Shaking Events News!

Does anybody have any brain-soap to spare? My gray matter is in need of some deep exfoliation after thinking about this image.
Go to Top of Page

Schreckstoff
Seeker

53 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2015 :  15:17:55  Show Profile Send Schreckstoff a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Already ordered a signed copy, shipping costing as much as the book but worth it.

Complete Drizzt Saga - Check
In love with Farideh's Saga - Check
Disappointed at Erevis' Saga's apparent end - Check
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2015 :  15:46:25  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Schreckstoff

Already ordered a signed copy, shipping costing as much as the book but worth it.

How much is the shipping? I HATE when online retailers overcharge for shipping.

Go to Top of Page

Schreckstoff
Seeker

53 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2015 :  10:29:10  Show Profile Send Schreckstoff a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

quote:

$27 to europe iirc

Edited by - Schreckstoff on 12 Jun 2015 10:29:56
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2015 :  15:35:55  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

$27 to europe iirc

Ah,well international shipping is a bit different.

Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2015 :  20:43:12  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm really not a fan of the covers for the more recent Drizzt books. I miss Tod Lockwood.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Schreckstoff
Seeker

53 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2015 :  00:32:31  Show Profile Send Schreckstoff a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah,well international shipping is a bit different.

I'd still forego first class if I could. I've had much bigger packages shipped much faster at lower costs.
Like a CE of a game arrived the day of release for me, just 5 minutes after the console I ordered it for.

But still worth it for me.

quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

I'm really not a fan of the covers for the more recent Drizzt books. I miss Tod Lockwood.

We all do.

Ghost King, while being probably my least favourite RAS book still has the frontseat in my bookshelf because of that cover.

Edited by - Schreckstoff on 13 Jun 2015 00:32:57
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000