Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Bans
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2015 :  11:53:20  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Cormyr has a ban on hunting on private areas. Can you come up or point me to other non-obvious bans around the cities and countrysides of Faerun?

Anything is elligable, from a ban on wearing noisy shoes after nightfall to leaving carriages on the streets, lets discuss strange things banned around the Realms. Things that get you fined or even jailed.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2015 :  18:56:56  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know Amn doesn't allow spellcasting in the city without authorization from the Cowled Wizards, or purchasing a license to use magic (of course, I'm basing that off the Baldur's Gate 2 video game, I'd have to double-check my Lands of Intrigue stuff to see if that's true for the PnP setting).

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage

Edited by - ZeshinX on 07 May 2015 18:58:51
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2015 :  22:04:24  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The City of Westgate supposedly banned all animals from within the city walls once, after an incident where a horde of animals burst forth from a Leiran temple, overrunning Westgates citizens (current clack from a candlekeep article; pg 56).

Port cities in Kara Tur have been knowns to close their portgates for all vessels during incidents. Some have managed to stiffle or ban all sea traffic for up to several years. Chunming in T'u Lung had strange fires after some spelljamming vessels had ported there, so its council decreed their ports closed, leaving all maritimes and spelljamming boats drifting on the Shoals of the Hanchi Seas and the Xi-Fung reefs.

Waterdeep has had magic weapons banned on the streets for periods of time. Lots of shady arms dealers sold human bane weapons in the evenings, and teams of mages and/or acolytes were/are sent into the streets every eve, to light dark alleys with light spells.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2015 :  20:25:28  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another interesting one from Kara-Tur.

The certain wandering troopes or cults were banned in Shou-Lung, and T'u-Lung responded by lifting their bans as long as they supported the T'u-Lung generals. The (pro-freedom/anti-establishment) Black Leopard cults' witchdocters became infamous in the following 'Uncountable Wars'.

I think I read in Power of Fearun that Heralds had the duty of keeping count of outlawed groups and their heraldry. So I imagine certain colored clothing and flags are effectively banned in large parts of the Sword Coast, Western Hearthlands and Cormyr.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2015 :  16:45:14  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bladewind, where have you found this info about Chunming? I'm collecting lore on Kara-Tur, and just noticed this city, which appears in Realmspace as part of Shou Lung, but in the maps belong to T'u Lung. Since there is nothing that makes you believe the mentions are old, from a time when T'u Lung was part of the Shou empire, I'd like to know of more sources on the city and its port (and maybe on other Shou spelljamming ports).

And yes, I know Spelljammer is not necessarily canon in the Realms... But I'd appreciate your help anyway.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2015 :  18:49:09  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it was Brian James' old grand history of the realms pdf that I used to (crtl+f) search for lore quickly. I have to get back at you for its reference (I think it was the Eastern Realms boxed set) as I dont have that file at the moment. I might have cross referenced some of the more acceptable (to me) fan lore on an unofficial fansite on spelljamming

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2015 :  22:17:27  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember a short story called Gunn Runner which was about smuggling smoke powder gunns in Waterdeep, so I assume those are banned as well.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2015 :  22:44:29  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spelljammers are said to call on ports like Waterdeep and Baldur's Gate - always "landing" somewhere at sea or away from the cities so that the local groundlings remain unaware.

Why? Spelljammers certainly don't care what groundlings know or think, not all Spelljammers anyhow. I can understand wanting to keep a low profile for many reasons, but I think many a trader would happily advertise exotic vehicles carrying exotic wares, what better way to announce you're setting up shop than a casual fly-by over the cityfolk?

Is there a sort of ban on spelljammers in/near cities? If so, then why? And, honestly, how could such a ban be effectively enforced?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Cyrinishad
Learned Scribe

300 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2015 :  01:55:39  Show Profile Send Cyrinishad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used the Isle of Nimbral in my 3e campaign, and recall that they had banned organized religion after Leira's death.

To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. -Socrates

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2015 :  17:54:34  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Spelljammers are said to call on ports like Waterdeep and Baldur's Gate - always "landing" somewhere at sea or away from the cities so that the local groundlings remain unaware.

Why? Spelljammers certainly don't care what groundlings know or think, not all Spelljammers anyhow. I can understand wanting to keep a low profile for many reasons, but I think many a trader would happily advertise exotic vehicles carrying exotic wares, what better way to announce you're setting up shop than a casual fly-by over the cityfolk?

Is there a sort of ban on spelljammers in/near cities? If so, then why? And, honestly, how could such a ban be effectively enforced?

The first reason coming to mind is mooring/parking space. Most spelljamming vessels are monstrously large. To effectively cross distances a vessel needs to have a large enough "air envelope" (the life sustaining breathable air bubble that surrounds spelljammers). Those envelopes' sizes are dependant on the type of material and most importantly the volume of the spelljamming vessel. The larger vessels (like the 45 ton githyanki Void Cruisers, or 60 ton Hammerships) can typically sustain a crew (of 40 or 60) for up to 4 months of space travel, while a small sparrow-style spelljammer (2 tons) can only stay in space with its pilot for a few days.

Another obstacle stopping most spelljammers from mooring on the surface of a world is the atmospheric weather conditions. Storms will easily destroy parts of a spelljamming vessel if it isn actively maneuvered and done properly. Faerun is notorious for having high speed high altitude winds (like earths jet streams), which makes most vessels consider orbital trajectures instead of touching down on land or sea, while the more agile and smaller craft tow any goods to and from the surface. These are far less impressive to spot in the sky from the surface. The many bird designs chosen by elves and men for these types of spelljammers probably confuse most onlookers, giving rise to onviewers dismissing the craft as a flight of a bird.

Against the hordes of the Kahan the Shou Lung empire did call in the aid of a Dragonship, a craft of some 80 tons, that -like most high ton spelljammers- is barely able to even land (on sea or soil). It did scare a very large horde of horsemen for a few days though, enough for the defence of the land to claim victory. So there certainly is value in letting the spelljammers brave the atmosphere to look impressive for a few days.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Go to Top of Page

Cyrinishad
Learned Scribe

300 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2015 :  02:52:07  Show Profile Send Cyrinishad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind
To effectively cross distances a vessel needs to have a large enough "air envelope" (the life sustaining breathable air bubble that surrounds spelljammers). Those envelopes' sizes are dependant on the type of material and most importantly the volume of the spelljamming vessel. The larger vessels (like the 45 ton githyanki Void Cruisers, or 60 ton Hammerships) can typically sustain a crew (of 40 or 60) for up to 4 months of space travel, while a small sparrow-style spelljammer (2 tons) can only stay in space with its pilot for a few days.

I am hoping that asking questions about Spelljammer doesn't derail the entire scroll... but I'm going to risk it.

How can there be a level of magical advancement that enables the creation Air Bubbles and Artifical Gravity Planes that enable Spelljammer Vessels to function in Space, yet not enough magical advancement to decipher a way to continuously renew the Air Supply?

An Eversmoking Bottle, and a Decanter of Endless Water are both Uncommon Magic Items. If you can fashion a magical spaceship, couldn't you modify these items into a "Bottle of Endless Air"?

My question isn't intended to be snarky or anything, I just don't have any real knowledge about Spelljammer.

To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. -Socrates

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2015 :  05:23:53  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

[...] I can understand wanting to keep a low profile for many reasons, but I think many a trader would happily advertise exotic vehicles carrying exotic wares, what better way to announce you're setting up shop than a casual fly-by over the cityfolk?
Is there a sort of ban on spelljammers in/near cities? If so, then why?

Yes. Waterdeep and Calimport both.
Why? You wrote it yourself: it's great advertisement - people jump at exotic wares. Do you think local merchants are very happy about this?.. In the long run, they are the ones who choose the tune.
Other than that, security considerations - not everyone likes to see stuff flying directly overhead, so even in ports where they don't have to land out of sight, spelljamming vessels often have to approach from the outside.

quote:

The first reason coming to mind is mooring/parking space. Most spelljamming vessels are monstrously large.

You are joking? Of relatively common spelljamming ships, most water-landing ones are either groundling ship hulls (Caravel, Cog, Galleon, Junk, Longship) or of comparable size (Barge of Ptah, Dragonship, Eel, Swan, Uspo, Whelk).
There are only three very long (250') vessels: Hammership, Squid (both are more military than trade oriented) and Whaleship - this one, yes, pure bulk/passenger hauler.

Anyway, at the "regular" SJ ports there's rarely a good reason to not simply build bigger docks. Conversely, bulk trade tend to happen along the established routes - it requires more investment and the merchant who made a bad choice ends up holding a bigger bag.
quote:
The larger vessels (like the 45 ton githyanki Void Cruisers, or 60 ton Hammerships) can typically sustain a crew (of 40 or 60) for up to 4 months of space travel, while a small sparrow-style spelljammer (2 tons) can only stay in space with its pilot for a few days.

Actually, the rule is simple: a vessel with given Spelljamming Tons rating can sustain this number of people for 4 months, then the air degrades by one step - and that's it.
Fresh air degrades to foul (not fatal yet, but already reduces performance), so it's somewhat viable for 8 months. Of course, given SJ speed, it takes months to get somewhere only in emergency, exploration, playing hide-and-seek or traveling between spheres. On an established route between the spheres stops are well within a month or two - unless someone did something horribly wrong.
quote:
Another obstacle stopping most spelljammers from mooring on the surface of a world is the atmospheric weather conditions.

Yup. Therefore only the known areas of relatively nice and stable weather can be a good choice for "regular" spelljamming ports, and exploring possible new ports, while lucrative, is risky. Intersect the set with "places safe and civilized enough to trade with", and there's not a lot.
quote:
Against the hordes of the Kahan the Shou Lung empire did call in the aid of a Dragonship, a craft of some 80 tons, that -like most high ton spelljammers- is barely able to even land (on sea or soil).
By the stats, Dragonship is 45 SJT (22 cargo), 150' keel, Landing: water only (seaworthines of anything that isn't a sea vessel in the first place is questionable at best, yes).

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 31 Jul 2015 05:26:13
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2015 :  13:44:59  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still, one sees alot of very large barges being built on Toril (T'u Lungs 600 ft long serpentine Tsunami, Shou Lungs 80 ton Dragonships, Elven ManoWars). Traffic to Toril is historically done through the larger vessels that ship and moor at one of the Tears of Selune. Netherese, Halruaan and Myth'Drannorian vessels are typically of the archaic types, that are bulky and less maneuverable.

It is indeed possible to replenish air through magic means. Spells like Wall of Fog and Obscuring Mists can replenish some of the air supply, as can magic items with similar effects. Plants do refresh air supplies aswell, albeit rather slowly. Some vessels, like archaic elven man'o'wars, have air refreshing gardens inside their hulls.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Go to Top of Page

Cyrinishad
Learned Scribe

300 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2015 :  17:10:28  Show Profile Send Cyrinishad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
It is indeed possible to replenish air through magic means. Spells like Wall of Fog and Obscuring Mists can replenish some of the air supply, as can magic items with similar effects. Plants do refresh air supplies aswell, albeit rather slowly. Some vessels, like archaic elven man'o'wars, have air refreshing gardens inside their hulls.

Ok, cool. Thanks for straightening me out on that Bladewind. I'm going to have to start tracking down some Spelljammer material, so that I can get up to speed on it.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2015 :  05:26:47  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Still, one sees alot of very large barges being built on Toril (T'u Lungs 600 ft long serpentine Tsunami,
Shou Lungs 80 ton Dragonships,
Elven ManoWars).
  • Tsunami is a relatively late development and a secret weapon, as such it's not supposed to visit foreign ports. And made in Wa rather than T'u Lung.

• Dragonship is less of a secret, but still not supposed to visit public port on Toril, and generally isn't very common. Stats from ship card see above. See also deckplans, more or less matching the given length.

• MoW is not capable of landing at all. There's Starwing - a lighter and weaker armed water-landing variant they use in Evermeet (and maybe other Elven ports), but it's rare. And EIN usually is unwilling to land on planets as much as a helmed flitter, unless the port in question is controlled by the elves.

quote:
Traffic to Toril is historically done through the larger vessels that ship and moor at one of the Tears of Selune. Netherese, Halruaan and Myth'Drannorian vessels are typically of the archaic types, that are bulky and less maneuverable.

• There's no official data on Netherese vessels AFAIK. We may assume the usual: groundling sea ships.

• Halruaan airship isn't built for 'jamming either, so effectively "groundling design", only more fragile than a sea ship.

• Not much on Cormanthyr. C:EoE says it had contact with EIN from 512 DR to the end, and was often visited. No mentions of types, or whether Cormanthyr itself ever built or owned any ships at all.

Edited by - TBeholder on 01 Aug 2015 10:41:14
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2015 :  12:40:09  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome. Thanks for straiting all that out.

I found a source showing that there are some crystal spheres that are rather far removed from others. Even those spheres that are clustered together, like Grey Space and Realmsspace, take over 15 full days of starjamming travel on the Radiant Flow.

For example travelling from Realmspace to the heart of the Illithid Empire with this constellation can take well over 225 days of continuous spelljamming travel, mostly along the the Radiant, Inner Arcane and the Known Flow untill it intersects with the Outer Arcane Flow. There is the opportunity to restock at least 3 times and additional 3 times at greater risk though.

To get things a little bit more on track. Another strange ban I found is in the Kingdom of Cormyr.

Hurting cats is forbidden in Cormyr.

I have no clue why. Perhaps its the favored form of the Crowns' magical agents, allowing them better means to infiltrate.

In Semphar there is a popular religious code that prohibits vices, banning gambling, drinking and whoring. There is no real punishment except for losing the respect of those that follow the Muhjari code. There are rumors of an extremist spartan assassins guild though.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2015 :  13:22:42  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amn is a good place to guesstimate some more common bans on common criminal behavior in larger cities. It shows some cities can crack down pretty hard on crime if they can muster the organization.

(Failed) Bribery is a crime leading to a fine and a public edict (posted at every town gate and hall) stating the offender can not repeat his bribes.

Defacing or forging a Public Notice or Edict is a crime that leads to imprisonment with public work and a fine.

Forging currency leads to a fine, public edict and a branding of the offender.

Intimidating extortion leads to a fine and a public flogging.

Harmful Spellcasting leads to a fine paid in damages to kin or party; non citizens are exiled for a year. If the target was a guard or citywatchman it is an 'onthespot' death sentence(!).

Sedition (speaking against the crown or ruling council) leads to a fine and a single night in the deep-dungeons.

Impersonation of an Official leads to a fine and an lifetime exile(!).

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2015 :  13:39:42  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Surely there are spells developed to renew the air supply? Air is a pretty basic need after all lol.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2015 :  03:52:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arcanus

Surely there are spells developed to renew the air supply? Air is a pretty basic need after all lol.

At least one is mentioned but never detailed in the source material.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2015 :  05:09:56  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

At least one is mentioned but never detailed in the source material.

Isnt it mentioned in ECs Evermeet novel? I seem to recall an Elven Spelljammer crashing near Evermeet and the creatures (some sort of space faring fire elemental?) that attacked them damaging some part of the ship that forced them to land

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2015 :  05:22:16  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cormyr has a ban on hunting on private areas. Can you come up or point me to other non-obvious bans around the cities and countrysides of Faerun?

Anything is elligable, from a ban on wearing noisy shoes after nightfall to leaving carriages on the streets, lets discuss strange things banned around the Realms. Things that get you fined or even jailed.

Cormyr

List of Cormyrian laws

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Laws_of_Cormyr

Mulmaster requires you to join there Wizard guild if you can cast spells of a certain level or are staying in the city a certain amount of time.

Most non evil place probably have laws against using evocation (Fireballs and lightning etc, Necromancy spells and probably Enchantment spells (like Charm person)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

lsls
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2015 :  06:19:54  Show Profile Send lsls a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fire in the blood mentioned there were so many strange laws in Cormyr.

Commoners can¡¯t wear more than one kind of feather in their hats.

Adventurers need special permission to hunt monsters.

The strangest one is about resurrection spells. A resurrected noble lost all of their blood rights. A resurrected Obarskyr lost their place in the line of succession. If a king gets resurrected, he would be immediately deposed, magically neutered, and exiled from Cormyr, their would-be benefactor executed as a traitor.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2015 :  08:35:09  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The last one isnt so strange, its just good sense when it comes to succession laws

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2015 :  22:31:21  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Usually "legally dead" is considered enough, but, well, that's Cormyr. Also, see Ed's original answer from 2007 thread.

quote:

Surely there are spells developed to renew the air supply? Air is a pretty basic need

And not only in space, either. SJ sources have:
Wall of Fog, Fog Cloud, Wind Wall, Solid Fog, Conjure Elemental: Air, Obscurement.
There are also Airy Water (PHB) with some extra effort; Airsphere, Create Atmosphere (SJR1); Summon Wind Dragons (Arabian Adventures); Summon Wind (Dragon #220); Cloud Cushion, Airmantle (Dragon #244).
And there was plain "Create Air" in BD&D (Mystara materials).

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Isnt it mentioned in ECs Evermeet novel? I seem to recall an Elven Spelljammer crashing near Evermeet and the creatures (some sort of space faring fire elemental?) that attacked them damaging some part of the ship that forced them to land

Q'nidar (fire bats)?
Man-o-War is a living ship, specifically a young Starfly plant magically shaped and stunted (fixed at the certain stage of life cycle). As long as it's not overcrowded and doesn't hide too far from the local suns all the time, problems with air are mostly from external influences and things like fire on board.

Edited by - TBeholder on 03 Aug 2015 23:21:42
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000