Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 drizzet demons and dungeons OH MY!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  16:04:11  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/rageofdemons

New realms stuff

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  16:28:42  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm as excited as the next person for new realms stuff, but I'm more than a little concerned about what's been said so far. Now, I realize that all of this is conjecture, and I'm withholding further judgment until after it all comes out and we experience it, but I figured some preemptive grumbling won't offend anyone too much, right? >_>

I can understand their usage of Drizzt for marketing purposes, and even though the dark elf series is what introduced me to the realms, I'm quite frankly sick of hearing about him. A lot of people who are only peripherally aware of the existence of the Forgotten Realms believe that they're all about Drizzt, and only about Drizzt. This is really frustrating to me, as someone who loves the realms as a whole and the various other heroes (and villains!) that have existed in it and shaped it. There are also, in my opinion, a ton of characters who are better written and more developed than Drizzt (including ones from the same series), but it's the whole, "THE FIRST DROW WHO DECIDED NOT TO BE EVIL" that will probably forever cement him as one of the most iconic characters in D&D. :

Within the Drizzt storyline itself, I believe that this has been discussed elsewhere already both here on Candlekeep forums and other forums, but the whole thing is just getting repetitive. Does anyone else get de ja vu from the whole the Companions are back and it's time to go into the Underdark again? Sure, the reason's different this time, but in my opinion the whole revival was pretty lame in the first place. Even though in a recent book it was strongly implied that Mielikki wouldn't revive the companions again after they die this time, I can't help but anticipate the day, decades from now, in which I'd be groaning because the companions are back, again, and probably for the fourth or fifth time.

All right, sorry for the rant. I'm super excited for Sword Coast legends. I'm curious how much lore will be hidden away in the Neverwinter MMO and if all of that's considered canon.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  16:39:48  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooh, maybe we'll get some nice pretty maps of Gauntlgrym. Now that would be nice! Drow are big money, not surprised we'd see an Underdark themed adventure. To quote Salvatore (more or less): "Oh Gromph, what have you done?"

Makes me wonder if he's the source of all this.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  16:43:58  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Err, just saw the adventure synopsis, it is Gromph!
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  17:53:37  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just threw up in my mouth a little.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

The Last Zulkir
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  18:02:59  Show Profile Send The Last Zulkir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
... Huh.

Well, not my thing, but I'm curious who this is trying to target. Novel readers who aren't into the wider Realms? Because... this seems more like that than an attempt to get people who currently play other games/settings into FR. Drizzt doesn't get much bleedover beyond people making jokes about how common redeemed drow are. :P

Again though, this isn't my thing. I don't hold a grudge against the pointy eared one, but got into the Realms without reading of his adventures and I've never really seen anything since ncouraging me to seek them out. A module where he's a GMPC is not a big deal to me, positive or negative, though the press release's phrasing doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. DmPCs aren't usually a good thing, or fun to run.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  21:46:34  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not going to complain. I have really liked the recent Drizzt novels, especially all the dwarven love. I'm not a buff on the old 1E era adventures, but this doesn't come across as any sort of "redo of X module". More toys for the toy box.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2015 :  00:33:39  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This product release shows that D&D has finally moved on from the halcyon days of the campaign setting being the focal point and TSR/WotC providing you with the setting detail leaving it up to the individual DM to come up with the adventures and the story arc. The wheel has now come full circle. WotC provide you with the adventures and the story arc and it's up to individual DMs to bring the setting alive and flesh out the detail around those adventures.

It's an interesting set-up and relies on I suppose two key aspects: players who like to follow the script and/or DMs who have the smarts and versatility to make stuff up on the fly to facilitate the players actions. If I was being cruel, I'd draw a comparison to Paizo and describe WotC's approach as "Adventure Path Lite". It's clear that WotC has gone with the Realms because all of that "old school" setting background material can translate to their new approach and help DMs pad out the 'edges' around the adventures. If it wasn't for the 4E time jump, I think that approach would have been a good one; in the post Spellplague world it is ... less good. Paizo have had to provide the setting detail because they didn't have decades of incremental information to fall back on.

In 5E the Realms is a placeholder for adventures. It works brilliantly in that fashion because of the decades of that incremental setting information at WotC's disposal - WotC refers people to it in every current 5E product. That it is outdated isn't clearly something that concerns them. The thing that interested me about the Realms - the lore and back story and sense of a deep, deep setting with a zillion things going on all around you - is not present in the 5E Realms. It makes me doubt that there will ever be such a thing as a 5E FRCS. WotC don't need it for the products they now produce. Of course this is all my opinion and not meant to be a WotC bash. I think they have moved on. The fans have to choose whether they like and want to follow this new direction. I consider it to be a D&D direction, not a Forgotten Realms one. For what it's worth, Impiltur in my Realms remains in the 1370s DR. It's far, far away from the Sword Coast.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2015 :  02:51:08  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
this will likely be the only drizzt line that I will skip or atleast in hard back

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2015 :  03:59:03  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, the iconic demon princes are loose in Faerun and running wild in the underdark. Sounds like an interesting campaign idea. I will definitely be buying this one.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2015 :  04:26:37  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So will we get some novels from RA based on this? Two things I will never tire of, the Underdark and Demons!

Edited by - jordanz on 07 May 2015 04:27:36
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2015 :  06:03:41  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The storyline looks pretty freaking awesome! To the naysayers, I'm not sure what you want. WOTC needs to bring in money to keep the Realms going, and Drizzt is a cash cow. Sure, I think characters like Erevis Cale, Aoth Fezim, and Kalen Shadowbane are just as compelling as Drizzt in their own ways. But RAS brings in huge dollars for a reason; Drizzt connects with people.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2015 :  07:21:03  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

The storyline looks pretty freaking awesome! To the naysayers, I'm not sure what you want. WOTC needs to bring in money to keep the Realms going, and Drizzt is a cash cow. Sure, I think characters like Erevis Cale, Aoth Fezim, and Kalen Shadowbane are just as compelling as Drizzt in their own ways. But RAS brings in huge dollars for a reason; Drizzt connects with people.

The problem is I believe Drizzt is a cash cow for mostly non gamers so I wouldn't say this will draw in any more sales than usual. We already had a Drizzt guide before and I don't remember it selling a lot.

I think they are really overplaying the threat to the world thing as well as AP's in general. I say when the quarterly reports come out they will see these AP's aren't selling as well as they would like.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2015 :  08:54:12  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

This product release shows that D&D has finally moved on from the halcyon days of the campaign setting being the focal point and TSR/WotC providing you with the setting detail leaving it up to the individual DM to come up with the adventures and the story arc. The wheel has now come full circle. WotC provide you with the adventures and the story arc and it's up to individual DMs to bring the setting alive and flesh out the detail around those adventures.

It's an interesting set-up and relies on I suppose two key aspects: players who like to follow the script and/or DMs who have the smarts and versatility to make stuff up on the fly to facilitate the players actions. If I was being cruel, I'd draw a comparison to Paizo and describe WotC's approach as "Adventure Path Lite". It's clear that WotC has gone with the Realms because all of that "old school" setting background material can translate to their new approach and help DMs pad out the 'edges' around the adventures. If it wasn't for the 4E time jump, I think that approach would have been a good one; in the post Spellplague world it is ... less good. Paizo have had to provide the setting detail because they didn't have decades of incremental information to fall back on.

In 5E the Realms is a placeholder for adventures. It works brilliantly in that fashion because of the decades of that incremental setting information at WotC's disposal - WotC refers people to it in every current 5E product. That it is outdated isn't clearly something that concerns them. The thing that interested me about the Realms - the lore and back story and sense of a deep, deep setting with a zillion things going on all around you - is not present in the 5E Realms. It makes me doubt that there will ever be such a thing as a 5E FRCS. WotC don't need it for the products they now produce. Of course this is all my opinion and not meant to be a WotC bash. I think they have moved on. The fans have to choose whether they like and want to follow this new direction. I consider it to be a D&D direction, not a Forgotten Realms one. For what it's worth, Impiltur in my Realms remains in the 1370s DR. It's far, far away from the Sword Coast.

-- George Krashos

It does remind me a lot of the old basic dnd adventure books like Sword and Shield and other adventure pamphlets. They expanded the world a little bit but you never got enough detail to run long standing campaigns within that world and so never really got to use the same characters more than a few times.

Then they decided that fleshed out campaign settings with continuing themes were the way forward.

Its all been done before, i dont doubt they will still encounter the same problems as TSR and probably try and solve them in the same way (and fail). People never learn.

I'm sticking with George. Seeing as they are using all the old stuff for extraneous detail anyway i might as well stick with the old stuff, its much better.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

The Last Zulkir
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2015 :  09:58:59  Show Profile Send The Last Zulkir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Something not rooted in an idea that has a kinda rocky history at tabletop: an adventure focused around an NPC ally?

I mean... I've been trying to talk one of my oldest friends into getting into the Realms recently. He's big into 5E, really loves the system and has been playing D&D for even longer than I have. But one of the things he cites as a turnoff from the Realms is that old idea people have: Faerun is full of high level NPCs who do all the important stuff themselves leaving the party as bit players. That stereotype is still there amongst people, and stuff like this really doesn't do much to counter it.

They could avert that here. Sure. I just finished up Dragon Ball: Xenoverse, and the secret ending there is a great example of how to deal with tying a story to canon characters whilst keeping the focus on the PC(s). But the pitching for this, emphasising "Adventure alongside Drizzt" really doesn't sell me on this being some bold new reinterpretation of getting a DMPC to work.
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2015 :  11:19:08  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think the adventure focuses on Drizzt as much as the press release indicates. He probably will be a major quest giver in the MMO like Minsc is with elemental evil. Maybe he cameos in the Sword Coast game and in the tabletop rpg. The PC get to fight alongside Sir Isteval in Ghosts of Dragonspear castle for one fight. It hardly ruins the adventure.

quote:
Originally posted by The Last Zulkir
Something not rooted in an idea that has a kinda rocky history at tabletop: an adventure focused around an NPC ally?

I mean... I've been trying to talk one of my oldest friends into getting into the Realms recently. He's big into 5E, really loves the system and has been playing D&D for even longer than I have. But one of the things he cites as a turnoff from the Realms is that old idea people have: Faerun is full of high level NPCs who do all the important stuff themselves leaving the party as bit players. That stereotype is still there amongst people, and stuff like this really doesn't do much to counter it.

They could avert that here. Sure. I just finished up Dragon Ball: Xenoverse, and the secret ending there is a great example of how to deal with tying a story to canon characters whilst keeping the focus on the PC(s). But the pitching for this, emphasising "Adventure alongside Drizzt" really doesn't sell me on this being some bold new reinterpretation of getting a DMPC to work.

Iconic NPCs definitely don't have a lot of middle ground to them. Especially on the internet forums, people either hate them or love them. However, every edition of the Realms that I have enjoyed has had interesting and capable NPCs that served to flesh out the world. So, I am not intimidated by getting to see Drizzt in the rpg. I kind of hope that they publish a really sweet ranger build with epic boons to represent him. The last two adventure paths end at 15th and 13th level respectively. It isn't like the PCs are going to be level 1 and dismally ineffective fighting next to Drizzt.

Tarlyn Embersun

Edited by - Tarlyn on 07 May 2015 11:20:40
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2015 :  12:06:15  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kinda interested how Lolth would act during the rampage of Demogorgon and cohorts through her domain.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2015 :  12:43:22  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I said in the other thread, I would be more interested in seeing at least something on Eilistraee and Vhaeraun rather than Lolth again, since their recent return is no small thing for the drow and since this seems to be a drow storyline among the other things.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2015 :  13:03:45  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With Demogorgon, Grazzt and Orcus around I think Eilistraee and Vhaeraun better keep their heads low, I doubt they can confront demonprinces even at half of their power. But seeing all the Dark Seldarines reactions would be awesome, indeed.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2015 :  13:14:12  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't want any god battle or anything, but I'd like to see -as you say- their reaction and what they followers will do (also, since they are releasing new FR info through these adventures, it would be cool to see what Eilistraee, Vhaeraun and followers are up to in general).

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2015 :  14:09:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

One issue with continual focus on a single cash cow is that it doesn't give much chance for a new cash cow to be developed. Every character you listed was new, once.

Not creating new characters is a great path to stagnation.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Last Zulkir
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2015 :  14:32:21  Show Profile Send The Last Zulkir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tarlyn

I don't think the adventure focuses on Drizzt as much as the press release indicates. He probably will be a major quest giver in the MMO like Minsc is with elemental evil. Maybe he cameos in the Sword Coast game and in the tabletop rpg. The PC get to fight alongside Sir Isteval in Ghosts of Dragonspear castle for one fight. It hardly ruins the adventure.

Iconic NPCs definitely don't have a lot of middle ground to them. Especially on the internet forums, people either hate them or love them. However, every edition of the Realms that I have enjoyed has had interesting and capable NPCs that served to flesh out the world. So, I am not intimidated by getting to see Drizzt in the rpg. I kind of hope that they publish a really sweet ranger build with epic boons to represent him. The last two adventure paths end at 15th and 13th level respectively. It isn't like the PCs are going to be level 1 and dismally ineffective fighting next to Drizzt.

Thing is, I'm struggling to see the middle ground here. 'Adventure where you fight alongside Drizzt for one battle' or 'adventure where you get sent to do something by Drizzt' isn't really what the press release promised us. For someone unfamiliar with the Realms, who joined/put together a group for this AP, I'd think they'd feel cheated by him having a small role like that. But doing more leaves Drizzt in long term DMPC territory, which is rocky ground.

Personally? I'm hoping this is the Cars 2 of WotC products. Something easy to do, put together to generate cash, whilst the focus is on a new FRCS. Dunno if there's anything to really suggest that, but... *shrugs* That's my dream

Edit: Also, I'd disagree with the idea that you have to either hate or love iconic characters. I'm ambivilant towards Drizzt. Him having a role in the adventure isn't enough to drive me away. But... that's all this thing is being sold on. That and unspecified demon lords. As someone who isn't a fan of the pointy eared one specifically, there's just... nothing drawing me in here. Unlike something like Tyranny, which had a load of different hero and villain factions involved. Enough that there was something for everyone, IMO at least.

Edited by - The Last Zulkir on 07 May 2015 14:35:17
Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2015 :  18:35:41  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Meh, looks more like a Magic the Gathering expansion than a D&D adventure to me.

I wish them well enough with it, but I'm looking for designers to provide the stage (i.e. setting), not the props (i.e. story line/adventures) when it comes to TT RPG materials. Back to Golarion to stay then (where either or both can be had). :)

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2015 :  21:51:21  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

It does remind me a lot of the old basic dnd adventure books like Sword and Shield and other adventure pamphlets. They expanded the world a little bit but you never got enough detail to run long standing campaigns within that world and so never really got to use the same characters more than a few times.

Then they decided that fleshed out campaign settings with continuing themes were the way forward.

Its all been done before, i dont doubt they will still encounter the same problems as TSR and probably try and solve them in the same way (and fail). People never learn.

I'm sticking with George. Seeing as they are using all the old stuff for extraneous detail anyway i might as well stick with the old stuff, its much better.

This!

The huge problem I see is Forgotten Realms is not a setting this will work with. You can't go from providing a huge, lore rich world and then try to go back to the old adventures that gave you bits of campaign with lots of adventure.

If they wanted to go this route then they should have used a brand new campaign setting.

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Crai
Acolyte

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2015 :  22:40:43  Show Profile Send Crai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check this out:

" ... and D&D fans will get their mettle tested just like Drizzt when they come face-to-face with all the demon lords.”

So ... Demogorgon, Orcus & Graz'zt will be manifesting themselves on Faerun (or, technically, *under* Faerun). This very serious and terrifying scenario (involving, obviously, extremely high level PCs) sounds like an RSE to me, does it not? I thought we weren't going to see any RSE's in post-Sundering FR? Or are these heavyweight Demon Lords not interested in shaking up the Realms on the topside ... just down in the Underdark?
Go to Top of Page

Taurendil
Acolyte

Chile
43 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2015 :  01:00:04  Show Profile Send Taurendil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think we should wait to read the adventure first AND THEN draw some conclusions.

- Ideas desordenadas sin RPG en específico www.juegoconamnesia.blogspot.com (Spanish)
- Des idées en vrac pour n'importe quel JdR www.jeudeloubli.blogspot.com (French)
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2015 :  01:30:38  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love it if Bob focuses on the clergy ala his Demon Wars cycle of novels. He really loves that stuff.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2015 :  01:40:00  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Taurendil

I think we should wait to read the adventure first AND THEN draw some conclusions.

Agreed. To support that, I reference this Tweet from Chris Perkins.
quote:
Drizzt's role in the RoD story varies depending on the platform. In the TRPG adventure, the PCs are the stars.

I've yet to see how this'll play out. But it makes sense. Neverwinter hyped up Minsc and Boo for the Elemental Evil Expansion, and you do get to adventure with the dynamic duo as kind of a second fiddle for a few quests. For an MMO, that's ok. The Elemental Evil Table top, Minsc and Boo aren't really in the picture. If they are doing the same kind of thing with this new story, then the Drizzt hype is just to get the fanboys drooling.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Crai
Acolyte

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2015 :  01:50:09  Show Profile Send Crai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not drawing conclusions. I'm asking some valid questions. This is an adventure featuring the appearance of 3 greater demon lords who are putting tangible footprints on to the stone caverns of Faerun's Underdark. I'm curious as to if such a sizable incursion of such mega-powerful beings ON Faerun constitutes a RSE. Especially since there doesn't seem to be any official metric for what constitutes a RSE unless WotC actually states there is one.
Go to Top of Page

Crai
Acolyte

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2015 :  01:52:36  Show Profile Send Crai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(weird, unexpected duplicate)

Edited by - Crai on 08 May 2015 02:03:40
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2015 :  02:10:37  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crai

I'm not drawing conclusions. I'm asking some valid questions. This is an adventure featuring the appearance of 3 greater demon lords who are putting tangible footprints on to the stone caverns of Faerun's Underdark. I'm curious as to if such a sizable incursion of such mega-powerful beings ON Faerun constitutes a RSE. Especially since there doesn't seem to be any official metric for what constitutes a RSE unless WotC actually states there is one.

Aye. For my personal purposes, I don't count it as an RSE unless there's a change to the world that cannot be easily ignored. A god dead, a huge canyon in the middle of nowhere, magic not working, the return of a flying city that begins dominating the world, those are RSEs to me. But I must emphasize the to me part.
Others, the term is more widespread. It means any "big" event, from what I can tell.
I don't personally consider it "shaking" unless it leaves a noticeable footprint, unless it impacts life as usual beyond the "threat of the day."
From what I've seen, other than usual hardships of ambitious magic users in the region, the average commoner in Faerun has no clue that Tiamat was nearly summoned. The average commoner has no idea Elemental Evil was almost doing bad things. That's just business as usual, apparently.

Now, do I wish they'd do some more small, low level adventures and put the near-RSE adventures back to the Realm of the DM? Yes. I'd prefer smaller events that I can string together with my own villain as the mastermind behind it all. But that's not the way WotC is rolling this time.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000