Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 New WotC's story: Rage of Demons (and Underdark)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2015 :  04:54:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Derulbaskul

Sadly, it probably doesn't have the broad appeal of simply regurgitating plots based on Tiamat (who is even more overused than Lolth

Gonna have to disagree with you, on that one. WotC's love affair with drow has meant that Lolth has gotten a lot of screen time -- including a sextet of novels that are quite popular among FR readers for reasons that quite frankly elude me.

Tiamat, on the other hand, has been largely ignored, until recently, in the Realms. We had some core adventurers dealing with her that were shoehorned into the setting, some mostly offscreen material with her as a deity (her appearance during the ToT, her actions to subvert the Cult of the Dragon, etc...), and then a recent focus on her for another adventure.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2015 :  06:13:35  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Derulbaskul

Sadly, it probably doesn't have the broad appeal of simply regurgitating plots based on Tiamat (who is even more overused than Lolth

Gonna have to disagree with you, on that one. WotC's love affair with drow has meant that Lolth has gotten a lot of screen time -- including a sextet of novels that are quite popular among FR readers for reasons that quite frankly elude me.

Tiamat, on the other hand, has been largely ignored, until recently, in the Realms. We had some core adventurers dealing with her that were shoehorned into the setting, some mostly offscreen material with her as a deity (her appearance during the ToT, her actions to subvert the Cult of the Dragon, etc...), and then a recent focus on her for another adventure.

I wasn't referring to the Realms, per se, but to the broader D&D product line.

Look at how much Tiamat we've had: Dragonlance (Tiamat by another name but still Tiamat), crappy D&D cartoon, Red Hand of Doom, Scales of War, and then Tyranny of Dragons. I've also missed a couple of things.

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2015 :  07:15:33  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Figured you meant core and not the Realms specifically. And that is true, albeit split over almost 40 years of gaming and multimedia history. Dark elves have been in the same since the Greyhawk days, but didn't really pick up in popularity, especially as a playable race, until one very particular dark elf ranger. They've become a repeat occurrence ever since, often accompanied by their spider imagery.

We had one Year of the Dragon event in 3E, but something like two Drow-themed periods, one for 3E and one for 3.5E if I recall correctly. Not to mentioned the scads of novels. Tiamat doesn't have a mopey good blue dragon paladin of Tyr wandering the North foiling the plots of her minions.

Recall the game is called Dungeons and Dragons and what bigger dragon at the end of the dungeon than the goddess of evil chromatics herself.

I see the three mentioned adventures as their respective edition's rendition of the Tiamat theme, Red Hand of Doom (3.5E), Scales of War (4E), and Tyranny of Dragons (5E). It's the requisite dragon themed adventure per edition. Or maybe they can't quite get the adventure right on each edition and the next edition is a reboot/reimagining.

Just like the game has umpteen Liches masterminding some crisis or another, or yet another demonic and/or diabolical incursion. The benefit of these latter two is the antagonist is usually more diverse in character as there is no singular deity (Tiamat or Lolth) pushing their agenda. There are in comparison a lot of demon lords and noble devils and many more liches (these guys seem disposable for the most part). Sure we bring back a famed lich every now and again, but how much staying power do they really have?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000