Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Myth Drannor and wild magic
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fokker
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  09:21:35  Show Profile Send Fokker a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all, a few quick questions. In Ruins of Myth Drannor boxed set it is stated that in the city itself there's a 10% chance of magic spell going "wild" per spell level. Now, is this in effect everywhere within the mythal (city) or just in some specific areas?

Also, what about priest spells - are they also affected or is this only affecting arcane users? I do not use psionics, so those are not important to me.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  09:36:50  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All magic (wizard and priest both) has a 10% chance of going wild [i]per level of the spell.[i] It's not a flat percentage; the more powerful the magic, the more likely it goes wild. This happens everywhere within the mythal, except dead magic areas, and for magic that the mythal specifically augments (which are mostly conjuration/summoning spells). This is all on page 25-27 of the Campaign Guide, for further reference.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Fokker
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  13:27:50  Show Profile Send Fokker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah yes, that would be my interpretation as well. Sounds very....hm, let' say problematic, but that is how I read/understood it. Just wanted to check if my understanding is correct. Thanks a lot for the clarification.

I guess this applies to item created/related magic as well? Wands, rods, scrolls and alike?
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  16:24:49  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Myth Drannor is a death trap. Having your magic go out of control most times you cast it only serves to heighten the death trap atmosphere. No one's forcing characters to go to the city, so if they do go, they deserve everything they get.

I don't think there's a hard and fast ruling on magical items, but they likely have at least some chance of going wild. To save myself hassle, I would probably assign a flat chance, like maybe 30%, for all items with the possible exception of some very powerful ones.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  20:36:17  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fokker

Ah yes, that would be my interpretation as well. Sounds very....hm, let' say problematic
I always wondered about the supposed "reacquisition" of MD in this context.
quote:
I guess this applies to item created/related magic as well? Wands, rods, scrolls and alike?

Wild magic zones (as in, messed up Weave) are like this, yes. IIRC, non-specific effects of a rotten mythal fall under this, because it's too deeply rooted in the Weave and twists it. Specific distorted functions of a mythal (see also Myth Glaurach) can be more quirky, though if it interferes with outgoing translocation, it interferes with any outgoing translocation.
"Static" enchantments such as weapons/armor are another matter.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  20:57:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:
Originally posted by Fokker

Ah yes, that would be my interpretation as well. Sounds very....hm, let' say problematic
I always wondered about the supposed "reacquisition" of MD in this context.

Well, keep in mind that the mythal was repaired, so that would negate most of the wild magic.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000