Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Further Reading
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sir Loin
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2015 :  06:53:16  Show Profile Send Sir Loin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi,

After picking up a few novels, I'm wondering if you sages can point me to sourcebooks, novels, comics, and Dungeon / Dragon articles for further reading on a few topics:

1) Specific stories about Asmodeus himself, how he became a god and ended the Blood War by moving the Abyss, the origin of Glasya, and how/when she took over the 6th layer (I know about Brimstone Angels, the Fiendish Codex II from 3rd edition and the Glasya article from 4e, but that's it.)

2) Background on Calimshan, it's culture and society, and especially how the various types of genies interact with one another and with the resident humanoid population

3) Anything about the Abolethic Sovereignty: their culture, society, goals, and any specific individuals (I know about the Aboilethic Sovereignty trilogy of novels and Brimstone Angels, but that's it.)

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2015 :  07:35:53  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For 1 and 3 you're pretty much out of luck. Those were 4e ideas (and pretty awful ideas as well), and 4e did not get much support beyond the initial books. The 4e (and, sadly, 5e) philosophy seemed to be "here's an idea, now we won't support it at all."

But for 2, you've got a number of good sources from the 2e days. The two best are Empires of the Shining Sea and Calimport, although FR3 Empires of the Sands might also be of use. EotSS actually has a timeline of the genie occupation of Calimshan and Memnon, and explores a bit the culture of what was happening at the time. All of them are worth picking up, if you can find them.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2015 :  15:25:47  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forget to check in with the Forgotten Realms wiki too.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

The Last Zulkir
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2015 :  17:32:56  Show Profile Send The Last Zulkir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On 1: If you want more material on Asmodeus, you can't go badly wrong with oldschool Planescape. He doesn't feature much, but I'll admit, I like it in part for that reason. The old Baator was a more mysterious thing, where not everything was fully known. 4E tried to build up more stuff around him, but I don't feel the writers ever really had a clear vision for what they were doing.

Is there a good FR specific source for info on the origin of fiendkind in this cosmology? Because otherwise you have to try and work out how it fits into the Tree rather than the Wheel, and that gets... confusing. At least to me, as I'm more used to the Wheel, even now.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2015 :  18:51:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Asmodeus is a pretty big player in Golarion, too. Obviously, it's not the Realms, but it's still something that can be mined for ideas/inspiration.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Magor
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  07:13:52  Show Profile Send Magor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Loin 2) Background on Calimshan, it's culture and society, and especially how the various types of genies interact with one another and with the resident humanoid population

So for the trio 'Amn, Tethyr, Calimshan' (since there are connections I'd always go for the three together when doing research) you can grab:

a) FR3 Empires of the Sands
b) Calimport
c) Lands of Intrigue
d) Empires of the Shining Sea.

Edited by - Magor on 06 May 2015 07:14:26
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  18:54:50  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Magor
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Loin
2) Background on Calimshan, it's culture and society, and especially how the various types of genies interact with one another and with the resident humanoid population.
So for the trio 'Amn, Tethyr, Calimshan' (since there are connections I'd always go for the three together when doing research) you can grab:

b) Calimport
c) Lands of Intrigue

You don't need FR3 Empires of the Sands if you're getting Calimport, Lands of Intrigue, and Empires of the Shining Sea. What you will want is Cloak & Dagger, since it upgrades information on the power groups in the region.

Edited by - Rymac on 06 May 2015 19:24:45
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  19:54:33  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rymac

quote:
Originally posted by Magor
quote:
2) Background on Calimshan, it's culture and society, and especially how the various types of genies interact with one another and with the resident humanoid population.

b) Calimport
c) Lands of Intrigue

You don't need FR3 Empires of the Sands if you're getting Calimport, Lands of Intrigue, and Empires of the Shining Sea. What you will want is Cloak & Dagger, since it upgrades information on the power groups in the region.

I'd have to disagree. Those older Realms products (even if they are covering the same material) are presented with higher quality. But that's just my opinion of course.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  20:01:08  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And there are always a few pieces not converted over into the newer editions.

Lands of Intrigue and Empires of the Shining Sea are absolutely awesome, but there is always a handful of references worth reading the old edition stuff for.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  20:23:26  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

And there are always a few pieces not converted over into the newer editions.

Lands of Intrigue and Empires of the Shining Sea are absolutely awesome, but there is always a handful of references worth reading the old edition stuff for.

It does bring to mind the map error in FR3. Was there ever a 2nd printing that fixed it?
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  21:17:10  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi,

After picking up a few novels, I'm wondering if you sages can point me to sourcebooks, novels, comics, and Dungeon / Dragon articles for further reading on a few topics:

1) Specific stories about Asmodeus himself, how he became a god and ended the Blood War by moving the Abyss, the origin of Glasya, and how/when she took over the 6th layer (I know about Brimstone Angels, the Fiendish Codex II from 3rd edition and the Glasya article from 4e, but that's it.)

2) Background on Calimshan, it's culture and society, and especially how the various types of genies interact with one another and with the resident humanoid population

3) Anything about the Abolethic Sovereignty: their culture, society, goals, and any specific individuals (I know about the Aboilethic Sovereignty trilogy of novels and Brimstone Angels, but that's it.)

#2: If you want post-Spellplague (pre-Sundering) information as well, Sandstorm by Christopher Rowe is excellent. Includes details about the genasi/djinni and the human bastion of Almraiven. And some very excellent character. :)

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000