Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Whatever happened to Aurora...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2015 :  23:26:59  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just had an idea strike me, and I thought I'd bring the brainstorming ball over here.

Aurora, of Aurora's Whole Realms Catalog, and Volo of the Volo's Guides, are presumably long gone in the current Realms of the late 1400's DR.

So, whatever became of them? I know something happened to Volo after one of his works, I can't remember what, but that's beside the point.

Their legacy continued.

Aurora, if she didn't lengthen her life with magic, did leave a wonderful business setup, nearly akin to the Walmart of Faerun. Who was her successor? Who became CEO of Aurora's Shops after she left the scene? Did her business expand beyond the mundane?

As for Volo... what if someone decided to update his famous travel books? Who did it? Did he take a pen name of his own, or did he start publishing revised works as Volo? Did they write more than just revisions?

I'm not asking for canon details, though those are most welcome, but rather opening the floor up to speculation.
If you were to do something like this for your home Realms game, who would these fresh faces be?

Is there a Volo the Second?
Is there a great granddaughter to Aurora?

What are they like? What have they done with the legacy they picked up?
Or did both individuals in question survive the Spellplague, Sundering, et cetera somehow? If so, how?

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2015 :  23:41:11  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would guess that the teleportation magics that were the cornerstone of her business failed during the Spellplague.
Aurora would have most likely died a wealthy woman but her business probably suffered a terrible (but likely not a killing) blow.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2015 :  23:50:24  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. How long did the teleportation magics not work? I'm not well-versed in that period. Would it be feasible for the company to switch to, say, wagons that have been Hasted?

Could she have had a relative or business partner more gifted in mundane arts (perhaps a Gondite?) that invented a horseless carriage that transports goods great distances very quickly on steam power? If this were my world, I wouldn't want to go too Steampunk in my solutions, but I'm just brainstorming here.

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2015 :  01:02:03  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

Hmm. How long did the teleportation magics not work? I'm not well-versed in that period. Would it be feasible for the company to switch to, say, wagons that have been Hasted?

Could she have had a relative or business partner more gifted in mundane arts (perhaps a Gondite?) that invented a horseless carriage that transports goods great distances very quickly on steam power? If this were my world, I wouldn't want to go too Steampunk in my solutions, but I'm just brainstorming here.

Unsure about the exact length of time but probably for the entirety of the Wailing Years (a decade).

She did retain the services of Nadul DaRoni who was quite similar to a gondite in that he created mundane mechanical contraptions (basically a gnomish Leonardo DaVinci).

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 04 May 2015 01:03:55
Go to Top of Page

Iahn Qoyllor
Acolyte

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2015 :  13:42:23  Show Profile Send Iahn Qoyllor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the novel Shadowbane: Eye of Justice which is set in 1480 there is a shop in Westgate called Aurora's Emporium which is a "fashionable curio shop that sold exotic treasures from all sorts of lands unfamiliar" and the long-lived elf Lady Nathalan says that its been "far too long indeed" when she meets Aurora....
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2015 :  14:06:11  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Iahn Qoyllor

In the novel Shadowbane: Eye of Justice which is set in 1480 there is a shop in Westgate called Aurora's Emporium which is a "fashionable curio shop that sold exotic treasures from all sorts of lands unfamiliar" and the long-lived elf Lady Nathalan says that its been "far too long indeed" when she meets Aurora....

So the business did survive. And possibly Aurora as well, unless it is someone by the same name. Interesting. I'm going to have to stew on that one. Is it ever hinted as to whether the Aurora is the same woman?

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000