Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Legends for the end of the world
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Taurendil
Acolyte

Chile
43 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2015 :  15:19:42  Show Profile Send Taurendil a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi guys! A little help.

What legends for the end of the world are in Toril? I'm talking about tales at a "mythological level", not the "mortal son of the demi-god will destroy the world".

At present, I know only about Dendar and how she will eat the sun, the world and the gods at the end of times.

Do you know any others? Thanks!

- Ideas desordenadas sin RPG en específico www.juegoconamnesia.blogspot.com (Spanish)
- Des idées en vrac pour n'importe quel JdR www.jeudeloubli.blogspot.com (French)

Edited by - Taurendil on 03 May 2015 15:23:53

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2015 :  14:09:17  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Taurendil

What legends for the end of the world are in Toril? I'm talking about tales at a "mythological level", not the "mortal son of the demi-god will destroy the world".

Isn't that the same when you know that gods are real?
For example shar who wants to end everything and bring back nothingness.

Edited by - _Jarlaxle_ on 04 May 2015 14:09:30
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2015 :  14:29:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

quote:
Originally posted by Taurendil

Isn't that the same when you know that gods are real?
For example shar who wants to end everything and bring back nothingness.

What a deity wants and what legend says will happen are not the same thing. Look at Norse mythology -- many of the Asgardians were going to die, during the fighting, according to legend. But I'm sure they would have preferred not to die.

Keeping it more FR-centric, Shar's ultimate end goal contrasts with everyone else's. XvimBane can't rule everything if Shar destroys him and everything else.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  11:21:12  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes but those who believe in shar and follow her also believe that the end of the world will come by her devouring it. It's their mythology.

Edited by - _Jarlaxle_ on 06 May 2015 11:21:32
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  13:57:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes but those who believe in shar and follow her also believe that the end of the world will come by her devouring it. It's their mythology.

Not really... Shar's end goal is the destruction of everything, but with her followers, her emphasis is on darkness, secrecy, and loss. Only her highest-ranking followers know her end goal. It takes an odd kind of person to find appeal in the "worship me, and I'll destroy you utterly!" shtick...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  14:42:46  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The demon Sertrous also wants to destroy the world but he just tells his followers that he wants to become a god (which he believes will give him the power to destroy the world) and don't get me started on Cthulhu cultists.

As for FR stuff - it's not quite a myth but Elder Evils posited that the 'World Born Dead' Atropus had destroyed the illithid planet Glyth and was last noted as being headed in the direction of Toril. If you presented it as a myth, it would have to be fairly recent (discovered in the 1370s Dale Reckoning) and few people outside of astronomer society would likely have heard of it.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

snowfox
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  16:10:07  Show Profile Send snowfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Not really... Shar's end goal is the destruction of everything, but with her followers, her emphasis is on darkness, secrecy, and loss. Only her highest-ranking followers know her end goal. It takes an odd kind of person to find appeal in the "worship me, and I'll destroy you utterly!" shtick...

I suppose it is somewhat akin to anti-natalist thought.
Go to Top of Page

Taurendil
Acolyte

Chile
43 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  18:04:33  Show Profile Send Taurendil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My bad, maybe I didn't asked for it correctly.

I'm looking for legends about how supposedly the world will end, not the plans of actual beings whose goals are to destroy the world.

hashimashadoo, not exactly what I was looking for, but Atropus could work perfectly with a little fix. I'll check it out, thanks!

- Ideas desordenadas sin RPG en específico www.juegoconamnesia.blogspot.com (Spanish)
- Des idées en vrac pour n'importe quel JdR www.jeudeloubli.blogspot.com (French)
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2015 :  10:46:23  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what you're looking for is faerûnian eschatological tales (real world Ragnarok, Apocalypse etc.). Great topic! I'd love know about those too! How do the elves envision the End Times... and how about the Dwarves, and so on?

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2015 :  16:52:42  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think "Mindflayed" had some.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000