Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Seeking crafting advise from my fellow Sages.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2015 :  02:36:19  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met!
As the subject suggests, I'm working on an art project that I would like to run past my fellow sages. Perhaps I'm over thinking some things, or perhaps there's an idea that I've overlooked.

I'm creating my own DM Screen. I'm using wood and a wood burner as my medium. The screen will be three panels, and I need advise for the two side panels.

I have two goals: first, to make the screen as rules/edition neutral as possible. Second, to make it useful to me and my players.

The first goal is easy enough. My side (the DM's side) is not a problem at all. I already know what I'm going to put there.

It's the player's side I am having trouble with.
I don't just want to do cool art on the front of the screen. I want easy referenced visual aids that are Realms wide in their utility.

In the center panel on the Player's side, I've got the Calendar of Harptos. I plan on using a little bit of magnetic paint to make it possible for me to place a magnet with the day of the month on the appropriate month.
I also have a simple diagram of the phases of the moon that the PC's will be able to glance at and see what phase the moon is in, as well as the time of day.
The whole thing is big enough to be read at a glance from across the room, unless you've got old man eyes (like me,) but even then you will be able to get a sense for the season, moon phase, etc at a glance. You just might not be able to read "Marpenoth" without some effort.

That brings me to my question. What should I put on the side panels? I want something useful and yet artistic.

I thought about a world map, but I'm concerned about usefulness there. If there's any map referencing, it's usually over a more regional map.

I've considered doing a panel of the major deities' emblems, but I'm worried that won't be very useful, as any time I describe an NPC, if such a detail is pertinent, I include it in my verbal description.

I've also considered doing major organizations and kingdoms/cities, such as the Zhents, Harpers, Cormyr, Waterdeep, etc, but I run into the same kind of problem there that I do with the deities.

I also thought about doing Espruar, Dethek, and Thorass alphabets on the panels, or all three on one. You'd at least have a visual idea of what kind of script you're looking at if the subject comes up.

I could also do some nice quotes, like the quote about the One True Spell from Elminster or something like that on either panel.

I'm just not sure which way to jump, and since I am wood burning this, it's going to be permanent.

Any input, ideas, insight would be appreciated. I could be second guessing myself too much, and I do welcome any kindly intended smacks upside the head if I need to do, say, deities or something.

I am on the DM's side of the screen so much, and my player's don't dig into Realmslore as deep as I do, so any of my arguments could very well be just talking myself out of things.

Shutting up now. What do my fellow sages think?

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

Edited by - Delwa on 03 May 2015 02:42:57

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2015 :  07:00:13  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have a clear picture in my head of what the end product will look like, but it sounds pretty awesome.

My personal opinion:

I like your phases of the moon plan. Sounds very cool.

Thumbs-down to the map, because players shouldn't be trying to measure distances on the back of the DM's screen. Not that that's the only reason to put it up there, but the poster maps are probably better for leaning over and examining.

Clever quotes: neat, but they're going to learn (and tire of) those quotes pretty quickly.

I also don't see much value in the alphabets -- kinda for the same reason: once you've seen Dethek you know what it looks like forever. For actual translation they can look up the alphabets in the FRCS or (better imo) hand-copy the alphabets onto an extra sheet for the characters that have the appropriate languages.

Thumbs-up to the deity and organization symbols, because they're an avenue into the lore for players. You can tell them there's a symbol on a corpse's cloak, and show them an approximation on a player-handout, and they can look at their cheat-sheet when they need it but the point is that they can triumphantly identify it without looking after a while. Thus emboldened, they may go looking for other challenges. With regard to the deity symbols, if you have space, it could be cool to include something about their portfolios (nothing else, imo) because that's pretty relevant.

All just my two cents.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 03 May 2015 07:03:16
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2015 :  15:20:02  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the feedback! Here's the front panel, and the album I'll be uploading "in progress" pictures to.
On the whole deity note, I'm considering putting Selune and Shar on the left and right of the calendar in the center panel, as they are the two "creator" gods, at least according to one creation myth. Do you think that would be too crowded?

I definitely agree about the map. The more I think about it, the less I feel like I should even consider that idea, barring any strong arguments to the contrary.

The deities are growing on me, and you make some great suggestions. It's just a matter of deciding which ones to do in the limited space. I'm thinking maybe just doing the ones that appear on those cardboard visual aids that came in the 2E boxed Campaign Setting.

I could even split them up. Good deities on the left panel near the top, organizations near the bottom, bad gods and organizations on the right panel, top and bottom, and the more neutral you are, the closer to the middle panel you are.

I'm not sure that I'd be able to fit a god's portfolio, but if I arrange them loosely by alignment, that at least gives the PC a clue as to what the deity is all about. Also, if a PC only has common knowledge of a god, they may not know what their portfolio is, they may only know them in terms of good/bad, mean/nice.

Thanks again for the input, any further feedback is welcome.

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2015 :  18:44:41  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhh I see now. Nice. Yea the portfolios won't fit. I think words would have to be too small to read easily, and they would distract from the images anyway.

I like the alignment axis thing, for the deities. And Shar + Selune on the central panel is brilliant because they tie in with the phases of the moon as well as being central deities for that creation myth. That breaks with the neutral-toward the middle arrangement for the other deities though, since Selune and Shar are definitely not neutral. (Unless you decide they are.)

Maybe Shar on the left, as your players look at the screen (left being "sinister" in Latin and heraldry, bahaha wordplay) and evil deities on the left panel near her, proceeding to more neutral as you get to the far edge of the left panel. Selune on the right side of the central panel, with good deities radiating out from her to more neutral powers at the far edge of that panel.

This flip kinda makes sense from the angle that strongly good/evil deities will be central (Woohoo wordplay again!) to the players' objectives in-game, while the neutral deities are kinda just outliers and bystanders in the great conflicts.

However, you can still get the neutral-in-the-middle and extreme alignments at the edges effect by closing the screen with the side panels upward. Illustrating that the order of the cosmos is really in the eye of the beholder. Or somethin.

The calendar and the phases of the moon at the very center are also thematically related by their relation to time. Specifically: it's passing, and the gods are playing, and there's a lot of work for the PCs to do.

There are far more evil organizations than good ones, if we're talking about well-known groups and leaving out casual adventuring bands, and they lack a thematic connection to the gods and time, so if it were me I think I would leave them off. The players can make a cheat-sheat for organizations as their experience in the Realms grows.

Again, just my opinions.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 03 May 2015 18:48:00
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2015 :  18:55:51  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks again! I'm also finding that there are more "goodly" deities than there are major evil ones, at least for my purposes. I'm comparing the list of Forgotten Realms gods from the 5E PHB and the symbols on the cards that came with the 2E Campaign Setting, and I'm having to fill in the evil side with more racial gods, like Gruumsh and Luthic.

At the moment, I've got most of the gods on both panels drawn. I may have to rearrange a few. I managed to keep Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul together, as well as the House of the Triad in a group. I'm kinda happy about that.

I've also noticed a lot of skulls on a particular side of the screen. (Give you two guesses which one.) Trying to make each one distinct so they don't all blend together is fun.

Once I get done with the pencil sketches, I'll upload some more pictures to the album and see if any symbols need to be rearranged. I think I'm sticking with the neutral in the middle idea simply because I started drawing with that idea in mind, and it requires the least amount of rearranging. I think.

Edit
Uploaded a couple pictures of the side panels. The link in my above post should show them. I got a little distracted and focused more on getting related deities together rather than set by alignment towards the center.

I've got some blank space at the bottom of both panels. Debating what to do with that.

- Delwa Aunglor

Edited by - Delwa on 03 May 2015 19:12:48
Go to Top of Page

Corwyn the Errant
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2015 :  21:20:39  Show Profile  Visit Corwyn the Errant's Homepage Send Corwyn the Errant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love the idea of the calendar and moon phases. As for the side panels, I'd use them to post things relevant to the current adventure: a simple map of the village the pcs are in, a picture of the npc they are currently talking to, the macguffin they are searching for, a simple atmospheric pic, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2015 :  21:29:42  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a great idea. Pics when you are finished!

If I was building something similar I'd leave open slits where you can slide laminated maps of the current area of the Realms (or any setting) that your party is traveling through so the players could have a nice visual of the area.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 04 May 2015 21:31:17
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2015 :  21:34:06  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Corwyn the Errant

Love the idea of the calendar and moon phases. As for the side panels, I'd use them to post things relevant to the current adventure: a simple map of the village the pcs are in, a picture of the npc they are currently talking to, the macguffin they are searching for, a simple atmospheric pic, etc.

That is part of the plan.
I found some magnetic paint online. I plan on doing a thin border across the top and I can stick printouts on the board with a small magnet. Same for the back. What I'm working on right now is a document that has all the charts and quick reference stuff I need in order.
When complete, I'll have goods, armor, wraps, etc on a couple of sheets of cardstock. My combat stats, such as improv damage, a small trap generator, etc will be on another sheet.
Exploration and survival rules on another sheet, etc.
I'll have them labeled with tabs so they can be quickly accessed.
Before each session, I pull the relevant sheets and magnetize them to my screen. As the enviroment changes, say we move from the city to the road or wilderness, I take down the sheets that are no longer relevant and put up the ones that are. That way I don't have to cram too much info into one tiny screen.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2015 :  21:43:10  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

Sounds like a great idea. Pics when you are finished!

If I was building something similar I'd leave open slits where you can slide laminated maps of the current area of the Realms (or any setting) that your party is traveling through so the players could have a nice visual of the area.

I'd considered that idea. It's not bad, but my current gaming area makes looking at a map pinned to the screen impractical. Something larger like a portrait is doable. The deity emblems are pushing it for size.
It's easier for me right npw to set the current map on an easel closer to the PC's, or just lay the map on the table.

We've got a sofa and loveseat set in an L shape, and a giant whiteboard laying flat on a coffee table for our game table.
My DM chair is a recliner on the other side of the room. Anything Displayed on the screen needs to be largeish, like a portrait. The deity emblems are almost too small, but I'm working on that.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

DandelionClock
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2015 :  16:28:04  Show Profile Send DandelionClock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, that looks nifty. Wood burning's cool! I'd love to see the progress.
I was thinking of doing something similar, but I was thinking of window like panels with paper or cloth as planes, a bit like the traditional screens of many cultures.
I like, creativity aside, the product's longevity and that it can still look good in the hosuehold, even if not used for roleplaying purposes (I'm lately trying to avoid one-use-only purchases...)
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2015 :  22:54:28  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the cloth screen idea. If you have old tshirts with art you'd like to preserve, that might be an option. That, or you could airbrush any design you want onto the fabric.
This screen I'm working on will eventually be part of a DMing set. I've got a lapboard I wood burned the FR logo into, as well as the crest of Baldur's Gate (forst major city I adventurered in in tyne Realms,) Waterdeep (favorite Sword Coast location) and my rendition of the Aunglor family Crest, as well as a few other designs. That lapboard is going to become the top of a small drawer / lecturn, and this DM Screen is going to lock into place on top.
In theory, I'll have a portable DM station I can roll dice on anywhere I go.

I'll upload photos to the above album as I go.

- Delwa Aunglor

Edited by - Delwa on 05 May 2015 22:55:22
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2015 :  02:07:47  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Progress Report. Here's the mostly finished product. I've still got to get the magnetic paint, but that is going to blend into the lines you see. I'm debating staining it, as well.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2015 :  02:19:18  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yet another progress report. This image shows you what the backside/DM side of the screen looks like. Not as glamourous as the front, for sure. Each table is printed on cardstock and attached to the screen by a magnetic strip on the top of the screen and the back of the card. In this way, I'm able to change out cards, regardless of what system or edition I'm running, as well as change out tables based on the session. If I need more tables for random NPC generation, I can have those handy. If I need more combat/exploration oriented cards, I put those up.
The tables pictured are in a Google Document, available here that I typed out for Fifth Edition D&D. I exported the Document to a pdf, then printed it in Landscape format at 80% size, then trimmed the cardstock sheet down to get the exact printouts you see.
All that's left now is the magnetic paint for the Day of the month and time of day indicators that will affix to the front of the screen. Maybe in two weeks.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2015 :  04:04:45  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice work!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000