Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Dark Avenger, champion of Shevarash home brew 3.5
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

diogrigor
Acolyte

21 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2015 :  11:12:14  Show Profile Send diogrigor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Shevarash#8230; oh, bitter #8211;sweet vengeful god. No PrC for his followers? Well, here¢s my contribution.
I realize that to make a PrC totally focused in combating drow would make sense only flavor-wise. So I tried to reflect this focus, but make it playable by PCs as well. I studied the 2nd edition specialty priests from Demihuman Deities (Dhaeraowathila) and the Legacy Weapon Bow of the Black Archer from Weapons of Legacy (p36). So, to make a long story short, here¢s my 3.5 edition version of Dhaeraowathila, aka Dark Avengers.

Dark Avenger

Hit die: d10

REQUIREMENTS

To qualify to become a dark avenger, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Race: Elf or Half-elf (cannot be drow, half-drow or crinti)

Patron: Shevarash

Alignment: Any chaotic

Base Attack Bonus: +6

Weapon Proficiencies: Proficient with any bow (short-, long-, great- composite or not)

Skills: Hide 5 ranks, Knowledge (dungeoneering) 8 ranks, Move Silently 5 ranks, Survival 8 ranks

Feats: Iron Will, Track

Special: Must have favored enemy as a class feature and have humanoids (elves) as one of her favored enemies

CLASS SKILLS

Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (dungeoneering), Knowledge (local), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Use Rope (Dex)

Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier

CLASS FEATURES

All the following are class features of the dark avenger prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Dark avengers gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Spells: A dark avenger has the ability to cast a small number of divine spells. To cast a dark avenger spell, the dark avenger must have a Wisdom score of at least 10 + the spell's level, so a dark avenger with a Wisdom of 10 or lower cannot cast these spells. Dark avenger bonus spells are based on Wisdom, and saving throws against these spells have a DC of 10 + spell level + the avenger 's Wisdom modifier. When the dark avenger gets 0 spells of a given spell level (for instance, 1st-level spells for a 1st level dark avenger), she gets only the bonus spells she would be entitled to based on her Wisdom score for that spell level.

The dark avenger spell list appears below. A dark avenger prepares and casts spells just as a cleric does (though an avenger cannot spontaneously cast cure spells).

1st level #8211; Accelerated Movement, Arrow Mind, Bless Weapon, Cure Light Wounds, Detect poison, Divine Favor, Guided Shot, Magic Weapon, Protection from Evil, Remove Fear, Resistance, True Strike

2nd level #8211; Cat¢s Grace, Delay Poison, Detect Favored Enemy, Exacting Shot, Lesser Restoration, Owl¢s Wisdom, Resist Energy, Spellslayer Arrow

3rd level #8211; Arrow Storm, Arrowsplit, Daylight, Discern Lies, Dispel Magic, Doublestrike Arrow, Invisibility, Neutralize Poison, Tremorsense

4th level #8211; Bloodfreeze Arrow, Break Enchantment, Cursed Bow , Dismissal, Foebane, Freedom of Movement, Implacable Pursuer, Lower Spell Resistance, Nondetection, See Invisibility

Dark Favored enemy (Ex): This ability functions just like the favored enemy class feature of the ranger, with the following exceptions: whenever you get to add a new favored enemy to your list it must be chosen from among creatures that traditionally help or are allied with the drow. These include aberrations, monstrous humanoids, undead and evil subtyped outsiders. The favored enemy: elves must always have the highest mod of all (or tied for the highest). If the character has levels of ranger or another class that grants favored enemy those levels stack with the ones from dark avenger to determine the effective ranger level regarding favored enemy. For example a 6th level ranger/4th level dark avenger has 3 favored enemies (+6, +2, +2 or +4, +4, +2).

Smite drow (Su): Once per day, a dark avenger may attempt to smite a drow opponent. She adds her charisma bonus (if any) to her attack roll and deals 1 extra point of damage per dark avenger level. If she accidentally smites a creature that is not a drow, the smiting has no effect but the ability is still used up for that day.
The dark avenger gains additional uses of this ability as she gains levels, according to the table below.

Pierce the darkness (Ex): A dark avenger spends so much time underground looking for drow to kill, that he gets fully accustomed to underdark¢s lighting conditions. At 2nd level she gains darkvision 60¢.

At 5th level the avenger¢s darkvision extends another 30¢ granting her darkvision 90¢.

At 8th level the dark avenger can see normally (black and white) in a 120¢ radius, even in magical darkness.

Improved favored enemy (Ex): At 3rd level a dark avenger gains Improved Favored Enemy as a bonus feat.

Mark of the Hunter (Sp): 1/day, a 3rd level dark avenger may use Mark of the Hunter (SpCo 138) as a spell #8211; like ability, but only against drow.

At 6th level, an avenger may use the ability 2/day.

Determined Soul (Su): A 4th level dark avenger adds his Wis bonus (if any) to his saving throws.

Stalker of the deep (Ex): Beginning at 4th level, a dark avenger learns to use the underdark terrain to his best advantage when stalking or trying to escape an enemy. She gets a +2 circumstance bonus on Hide, Move Silently and Survival checks when in natural subterranean surroundings.

This bonus becomes +4 at 8th lvl.

Venom immunity (Ex): At 6th level, a dark avenger gains immunity to all poisons.

Spell Turning (Sp): Once per day, as an immediate action, a dark avenger of 9th level gains the ability to invoke an effect identical to the spell turning spell. Caster level equals class level.

Arrow of death (Su): At 10th level, a dark avenger can imbue an arrow of at least masterwork quality with his god¢s fury and power and channel this power to slay his favored evemies. An arrow so imbued loses any other special quality it may have (including magical enhancement), while imbued so. If a creature whose type is among the favored enemies of the avenger is hit by this arrow, it must make a DC 15 + avenger¢s Wis modifier Fortitude save or be slain immediately. Even if the target creature makes it¢s saving throw, it still takes 3d6+10 points of divine damage. The effect is discharged whether the arrow hits or misses. A dark avenger can create one arrow of death per day, and the arrow only functions for the dark avenger who created it. The arrow of death lasts no longer than one year, and the avenger can only have one such arrow in existence at a time.
If the arrow of death is fired against a drow (and the avenger is aware of that) it gains a +4 insight bonus to the attack roll.

Table 1 The Dhaeraowathila
Level  Base  Fort  Ref  Will    Special                
      Attack Save  Save Save                           
       Bonus                                             

1st	+1    +0    +2	+2     Dark Favored Enemy, Smite drow 1/day	    
2nd	+2    +0    +3	+3     Pierce the darkness (darkvision 60¢)     
3rd	+3    +1    +3	+3     Improved Favored Enemy, Mark of the hunter 1/day            
4th	+4    +1    +4	+4     Determined Soul, Stalker of the Deep (+2)                 
5th	+5    +1    +4	+4     Pierce the darkness (darkvision 90¢), Smite drow 2/day 
6th	+6    +2    +5	+5     Venom Immunity, Mark of the hunter 2/day	
7th	+7    +2    +5	+5     Pierce the darkness (deeper darkvision 120¢)	
8th	+8    +2    +6	+6     Stalker of the Deep (+4) 
9th	+9    +3    +6	+6     Spell Turning 1/day, Smite drow 3/day	        
10th	+10    +3    +7	+7     Arrow of Death	

Table 2 Dark avenger spell progression

Class	Spells per day
level 	1st	2nd	3rd	4th
1	0	-	-	-
2	1	-	-	-
3	1	0	-	-
4	1	1	-	-
5	1	1	0	-
6	1	1	1	-
7	2	1	1	0
8	2	1	1	1
9	2	2	1	1
10	2	2	2	1

Cursed Bow

Necromancy
Level: Assassin 4, Ranger 4, Dark Avenger 4
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 swift action
Range: Touch
Target: One ranged weapon
Duration: 1 minute/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: None
Drawing upon dark powers, you whisper a vehement curse and draw your finger down the weapon.
A projectile fired by a weapon affected by this spell deals wounds that can't be healed in the usual fashion. Any damage dealt by the projectile (not including damage from special weapon properties such as flaming, holy, wounding, and so on) cannot be cured by any means until the damaged individual has received a remove curse spell (or some other effect that neutralizes a curse).
If a creature is slain by a projectile fired by a weapon that is under the effect of this spell, it can't be raised from the dead unless a remove curse spell (or similar effect) is cast on the body or a true resurrection spell is used.

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2015 :  01:50:22  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Overall I like it. While it is a bit specific there are so many drow - based campaign ideas in the Realms that I don't think it would be hard for this PrC to have some spotlight. We might be getting into the City of the Spiderqueen adventure in the near future and I have a perfect elf warrior in mind that this PrC would be amazing with.
Go to Top of Page

diogrigor
Acolyte

21 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2015 :  13:34:08  Show Profile Send diogrigor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Overall I like it. While it is a bit specific there are so many drow - based campaign ideas in the Realms that I don't think it would be hard for this PrC to have some spotlight. We might be getting into the City of the Spiderqueen adventure in the near future and I have a perfect elf warrior in mind that this PrC would be amazing with.

Oh, thanx a lot Diffan! Your opinion always appreciated! Hope you and your party have an exciting, epic time playing the adventure!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2015 :  13:47:54  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by diogrigor

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Oh, thanx a lot Diffan! Your opinion always appreciated! Hope you and your party have an exciting, epic time playing the adventure!

No problem, encouraging homebrew stuff is always something that is very important to the hobby. The adventure looks pretty awesome, despite being a 3.0 product. I don't foresee too many problems with a few technical differences here and there.
Go to Top of Page

Snow
Learned Scribe

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2015 :  15:00:00  Show Profile Send Snow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like this PrC. And some Shevarash love is always a good thing in my eyes.

One thing you may want to integrate into the class features somewhere ... is a feat-prerequisite or a minor benefit or a baneful spell against vermin. Of which followers of Shevarash are quite hateful of these utilitarian & ever-present pets of the Drow. Granted, a peripheral reference could be gleaned from the 6th level class feature, Immunity to Poison ... but I'd probably something more. Maybe add Vermin to the Dark Favored Enemy list? Or add the Dominate Vermin spell from DotU (p. 61) to the Dark Avenger spell list? And for comparison's sake, there's some conceptual similarity to the Dark Hunter PrC located in the Complete Warrior sourcebook. Worth a look as well.

Very nice work on this PrC.

And to Diffan, I'm jealous! I'd love to take a crack at the City of the Spider Queen adventure. Have fun!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000