Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Aegis-Fang vs. Mjolnir
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2015 :  00:34:10  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Apart from the thunderbolts, seems to be a variant on the dwarven thrower. Thoughts?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2015 :  01:09:53  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mjolnir 3.5 anybody thought about it?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2015 :  04:59:49  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mjolnir for v3.5?

+5 Throwing Thundering Darksteel Warhammer of Impact with a greater crystal of return. 3/day the user can use call lightning, gust of wind, and wind wall and 2/day control weather as spell-like abilities with a Caster Level 17th.

I have no idea how much this would cost or the XP needed to create it. But that's my take on the item.

Edited by - Diffan on 28 Apr 2015 05:20:23
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2015 :  19:42:38  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fellfire, I'm not sure what you mean by "vs.", or what kind of thoughts you're looking for.

Mjolnir continuously flies back to the wielder's hand. In the comics/movies, if the wielder holds onto the hammer's sling, he can use this flying ability to fling himself through the air.

Aegis-fang, OTOH, does not fly. It dematerializes from a remote location and then rematerializes in the wielder's hand, sorta like a Star Trek transporter. Therefore, the wielder cannot use Aegis-fang to effectively fly. Nor can he use it to teleport himself out of harm's way off to some remote location.

Aegis-fang has a long handle, useful for parrying, as Bruenor always intended for Wulfgar to learn good combat tactics from Drizzt, including defensive ones. But Mjolnir is always portrayed as having a massive head and a stout little hilt, giving it cartoonish proportions, as a part of the origin myth.

When Bruenor forged Aegis-fang, we are specifically told that he rounded the corners of a solid block of mithral to form the hammer's dual heads. This passage can be taken in a variety of ways, but I've always read that as meaning that Aegis-fang has rounded, cylindrical heads on either end.

Contrast that against Mjolnir, which tends to be depicted as a rather simplistic, chunky, rectangular slab with beveled edges.

In Norse mythology, Mjolnir was made of iron; in the comics, of a metal called uru; and in the movies, of star-stuff. Bruenor crafted the head of Aegis-fang from a solid block of mithral, and then attached the rod handle made from adamantine.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2015 :  22:44:57  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Deities&Demigods it's stats are +5 chaotic distance ghost touch holy mighty cleaving returning thundering warhammer
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2015 :  18:34:35  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Directly from 1st edition:

THOR's MJOLNIR (Deities and Demigods, Legends & Lore)

Mjolnir, Thor’s +5 magic hammer, has the following abilities:
It does 10-100 points of damage. It can be thrown up to 200 yards, and it never misses when thrown. It returns to Thor’s hand automatically. (If Thor throws Mjolnir, that is his only attack in that round.)
It can cast lightning bolts at any target within sight, up to a total of 100 dice of lightning bolts per day. This base 100 dice can be broken up into lightning bolts of any size Thor desires, i.e., 25 4 dice bolts, or 10 3 dice bolts and 1 70 dice balt,etc.
It is so heavy that only beings with a strength of 25 can even lift it, and it requires more than a 25 strength to wield it as a weapon.
When Thor throws Mjolnir, it trails o lightning bolt behind it, and when it hits, there is a large clap of thunder which affects all beings within 30’ as a power word, stun (save vs. magic negates).

Note: Thor's normal strength is 25, but he has a magical girdle and a magical glove which enable him to exceed even this limit.

WULFGAR's AEGIS FANG (Hall of Heroes)

The war hammer is fully +5 and scores double-damage dice (2d4 + 2 / 2d4) on a hit, gaining full to hit and damage bonuses, including Wulfgar's Strength bonus, even when thrown! Furthermore, Aegis-fang unerringly reappears in Wulfgar's hand (and only in Wulfgar's hand) whenever he desires it, even if it has to disappear from someone else's hand to get there.
The war hammer's magic and power are tuned perfectly to Wulfgar alone, designed especially to match his great size and strength. In the hands of another, Aegis-fang is only +3, loses its special throwing bonuses, and does not score double-damage dice.

EDIT: format

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 29 Apr 2015 18:51:43
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2015 :  10:37:44  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hard to tell which of those is the better weapon, as both are very strong, but also have very specialized requirements to wield them.
Although technicaly, someone other than Thor could wield Mjolnir, and use t to it's full power. It's very di9fficult, but possible.
One the other hand, Aegis Fang only has it's full strenght in Wulfgar's hands.
Mjolnir wins in terms of share power, but Aegis Fang seems more verstaile.

Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2015 :  15:26:38  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with Baltas on this, it's a little difficult to say which one is the better weapon.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2015 :  17:48:23  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And here are their 2e versions:

THOR's MJOLNIR (Legends & Lore)

Thor’s avatar (...) often carries Mjolnir, which can be thrown up to 200 yards and never misses, returns to the thrower’s hand in the same round, can cast 100 points of lightning bolts per day (broken up any way wielder desires), and requires a Strength of 25 to lift and wield.
When wielding his magic hammer, Mjolnir, Thor can break any object. He usually wears a magical girdle, Meginjarder, which gives him a Strength of 25.

Note: When in Midgard, he carries Mjolnir, and wears both Meginjarder and the glove Jarn Grieper which allows him to attack three times per round and renders him immune to fire.

WULFGAR's AEGIS FANG (Heroes' Lorebook)

Aegis-fang [is] a war hammer +5 forged by Bruenor Battlehammer for the young warrior [Wulfgar]. The weapon's base damage is twice that of a normal war hammer (2d4+2/2d4), with modifiers for Wulfgar's Strength and the weapon's magical bonus applied in addition to that. Wulfgar may hurl the weapon, and when he does it always reappears in his (and only his) hand whenever he wills it. The hammer was made specially for Wulfgar; anyone else wields it as a war hammer +3, without the double damage and returning abilities.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 30 Apr 2015 17:50:56
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2015 :  18:00:17  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Both are mighty weapons, but Mjolnir is the weapon of a God (or an avatar, in its 2e weaker version). Game adaptations used to depend on the eye of the writer, though, and I think I would made Wulfgar's hammer a bit different. Its description fits more a maul, for example, and I'd give it a minimum STR score to wield it (or to wield without a penalty to hit), instead of taking out the double-damage for others than Wulfgar, since I think its double damage is the result of being a hammer made for a big and strong barbarian.

I'd say Mjolnir is mightier, but as a more reachable magical item Aegis Fang would be better. In my campaign, a Dwarven thrower would be mighty enough to impress my players (as any special weapon, like a dragonslayer or holy avenger), but I'm thinking of introducing a moonblade, and maybe the mighty hammer Delzoun's Fist, in a very distant - and epic - future!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 30 Apr 2015 18:03:31
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2015 :  13:29:53  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Mjolnir for v3.5?

+5 Throwing Thundering Darksteel Warhammer of Impact with a greater crystal of return. 3/day the user can use call lightning, gust of wind, and wind wall and 2/day control weather as spell-like abilities with a Caster Level 17th.

I have no idea how much this would cost or the XP needed to create it. But that's my take on the item.

Make the call lightning a "call lightning storm" spell. Throw in the ability to cast whirlwind 1/day, chain lightning 1/day, thunderous roar 3/day, and lightning bolt 3/day.

Also, add shock, knockback, and energy aura to the weapon. Also, make it a large weapon with the balanced weapon special ability to represent it being abnormally large (in PF this would be impact).

Granted, someone already noted that its listed in deities and demigods, but I agree with Diffan for his take.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2015 :  23:15:14  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Contrast that against Mjolnir, which tends to be depicted as a rather simplistic, chunky, rectangular slab with beveled edges.

I think it elegant in its simplicity. Perfect edges and angles, knot-work, runes and delicate engravings.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2015 :  23:16:19  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I think it elegant in its simplicity. Perfect edges and angles, knot-work, runes and delicate engravings.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000