Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Moonwood/Glimmerwood lore
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cudi
Acolyte

Germany
21 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2015 :  23:15:21  Show Profile Send cudi a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

Hi!
I am starting a new campaign set in the Silvery Marches which will begin around late 1483.
Two characters of the party are a wood elf druid and moon elf rogue from the Moonwood/Glimmerwood.
I have searched extensively for any elven/fey lore which could be interesting to flesh out these characters but I have some doubts especially since I have not read the latest books of Salvatore but just a few of the free chapters.

This will be a lot of questions... but even tips of answers to a few could really help!

- Is there any info on why/hpw the Moonwood and Coldwood grew into the Glimmerwood in the last century? If not I was flirting with the idea to make the result of a collaboration between elven and human druids that summoned Nature Elementals.

- Voadkyns used to roam the Coldwood, probably on good terms with the Moonwood elves... are there any other interesting elven/fey related animals in any of the forersts that now comprise the Glimmerwood?

- Sinnafain is the "Lady of Glimmerwood", is this a hereditary title? What exactly does it entail? Is she like some sort of queen? How aristocratic does she appear? Does she represents non-Silverymoon elves in the Luruar alliance?

- Elven settlements: I found only Moonvines... is that some sort of small capital? How should I imagine it? Otherwise I just found mention of "roaming bands" of elves. Is there any other elven settlements ever described?

- Is there any info on the relationship between Moon and Wood Elves in the area? My guess is that the Moon elves have more political power.

- I read somewhere by this time Glimmerwood elves and Old Delzoun dwarves had political issues, maybe on a free chapter of a Companion book... does anyone know more?

Thank you so much!

------

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2015 :  00:14:19  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cudi

- Is there any info on why/hpw the Moonwood and Coldwood grew into the Glimmerwood in the last century? If not I was flirting with the idea to make the result of a collaboration between elven and human druids that summoned Nature Elementals.

"Favorable growing conditions over the last century have allowed these individual woods to become a single forest" (FRCS, C6:p146).

That sounds like a mundane change in weather/climate to me. But I don't see why you couldn't spin a magical yarn into it.

quote:
- Sinnafain is the "Lady of Glimmerwood", is this a hereditary title? What exactly does it entail? Is she like some sort of queen? How aristocratic does she appear? Does she represents non-Silverymoon elves in the Luruar alliance?

I was under the impression that Lord Hralien was the senior elf of the Moonwood/Glimmerwood ("The Hunter's Blades Trilogy", The Orc King). (I haven't read the most recent Drizzt books, yet).

I have no idea whether there is a hereditary leadership or not with the elves.

quote:
- I read somewhere by this time Glimmerwood elves and Old Delzoun dwarves had political issues, maybe on a free chapter of a Companion book... does anyone know more?

There was talk of the Old Delzoun and elves working together long ago to link the Hosttower of the Arcane and the Great Forge of Gauntlgrym to create a magical cage for a fire primordial (Gauntlgrym), who was named Maegera the Inferno (Neverwinter Campaign Setting).

I don't know of any recent beef between them.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2015 :  01:55:42  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1) Sinnafein appears to be the leader of the Glimmerwood elves. No idea of her title is hereditary, but as there is no mention anywhere that she was related to Lord Hralien, I guess not. She certainly does not appear to be aristocratic at all.

2) There is no mention of any elven settlement in the wood apart from Moonvines. In the latest book, it is mentioned that during wartime the elves scatter & constantly move around, so that they cannot be cornered in any particular place. In the graphic novel 'Cutter', the settlement of the elves appears to consist of tents.

3) No mention (as far as I know) of any wood elves in Glimmerwood. Doesn't mean there aren't any, of course.
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2015 :  14:44:26  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its not uncommon for moon elven families/clans to be roaming from place to place, scattering the forest with occasional encampements in a trek driven by wanderlust...

I would imagine the wood elven tribes would follow their preferred hunting animals, and would occasionally chance upon roaming moon elven bands or voadkyn outposts. Some would choose to mingle, others might not reveal themselves at all.

The Eldreth Veluuthra used to have some lycathropic members active in the area, but they were chased out by the People of the Black Blood, who in turn were run down by Knights in Silver in the years after 1372 DR and on.

Even some drow are accepted by the moon elves of Moonvines, so I don't see a problem with any racial tensions between moon elves and dwarves.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

cudi
Acolyte

Germany
21 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2015 :  09:23:07  Show Profile Send cudi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you guys! I never heard about Moonvines and adding it will make my description of the Moonwood/Western Glimmerwood more complete.

Regarding Wood Elves in the Moonwood I found the reference in "The Silver Marches" page 11:
"It's southern fringes are peaceful enough, home to small bands of moon elves and wood elves who roam its green depths and fair meadows..."

Then relating to the Cold Wood/Eastern Glimmerwood I found this in Giantcraft:
"Wood Giants can be found living with trants and wood elves deep in the Cold Wood" page 37.

Interestingly Kellindel , a solitary elf Dritz meets in "Sojourn" (I think...), claims to come from nomadic elves which live in a forest which, although never mentioned, could only be the Cold Wood. This matches Giantcraft's reference though unfortunately "The Silver Marches" does not mention any elf (or Voadkyn) in this forest (but luckily never states the opposite either).

I found something interesting in chapter one of Salvatore's Rise of the King ( http://media.wizards.com/downloads/dnd/RiseKing_Ch1.pdf ); the drow To'sun, who dwelled in the Moonwood for many years and knows it well says:

“This is no minor enemy (Luruar), with three dwarf citadels, a forest
full of elves, and three mighty cities.”

The forest is Glimmerwood (in the 1480ies) and it seems to hint to a population larger than the one described by "The Silver Marches" around the 1370ies. I will interpret this as an increase due to natural growth (just as the forests themselves did) and new arrivals.

So summarizing all my findings:

Western Glimmerwood, especially its southern part,is populated with many nomadic moon elves and to a lesser extent nomadic wood elves (and a few good drows such as Tos'un - cough - or the Mouth of Song drows).
Eastern Glimmerwood is populated exclusively by very isolated wood elves who coexist with wood giants and treants.Although some, like Kellindel's tribe, are nomadic, I imagine most of these to be sedentary (as wood elves usually are).
Moonvines is a mostly Moon elf sedentary settlement (the only one in the Moonwood) which is the unofficial capital of the elven Glimmerwood. The moon elf Sinnafein resides there and claims ruleship over the entire forest (how Cold Wood copper elves feel about this will be one of my side-quest hooks...).
Somewhere in the nortwest there could still be possibly a few moon/wood elven lycanthropes (belonging to the "Eldereth Veluuthra", not sure where I read this though).

Regarding the tension I mentioned, I found the following info relating to "the diplomatic and military squabbles" that the two new kings of Citadel Adbar had been facing recently (as 1484~):
"a land dispute with the elves of the Moonwood that had become so hostile the leaders of Silverymoon and Sundabar had ridden north to intervene"

Interestingly if the land dispute was in eastern Glimmerwood (close to Adbar), there is even more reason to think that the moon elf lordship of Glimmerwood claims all of what used to be called Cold Wood.

Thanks again! *gets back to fleshing out details and selecting soundtracks for the coming campaign*

------

Edited by - cudi on 01 May 2015 09:27:34
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2015 :  16:35:17  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you noticed there is another Glimmerwood in Faerūn history? In Champions of Valor, this is the name of the woods where live the elves of Askavar, that would be later known as the Woods of the Sharp Teeth (page 62, IIRC).

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2015 :  17:56:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Glimmerwood' may have been the name of the settlement/capitol rather then the wood itself. That would be my 'fix' for that. YMMV

If you wanted to take it a step further, one could even postulate that the elves of Glimmerwood (The Askavar) migrated north and eventually settled in the Moonwood.

There is more about that region (Moonwood area) in Forest of Blood in Dungeon #103. In fact, I believe one of the smaller forests are also named (The Laednon).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2015 :  19:43:32  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or you could just say that there are two Glimmerwoods.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000