Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Trying to create a character
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ocule
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2015 :  16:03:26  Show Profile Send Ocule a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So other than a drow i made for forgotten realms im still pretty new to the lore and im having some difficulty creating a character in the world so im looking for some advice over what fits well into the world out of the concepts i have. The DM is largely doing a sandbox game and we are probably heading to err, starmantle? i think thats what its called. And there is a lot of talk of going to Amn. Right now the party consists of a monk and a rogue who im not entirely sure what their deal is and a druid who is probably there half the time.

So far my concepts for this are,
A noble knight, very much focused on chivalry and knighthood in the classic sense. Protector of the innocent and upholder of the king's peace.
-Can paladins be knights in the truest sense and hold lands and titles associated?

A wandering bard collecting the stories of great heroes and villains alike
-Probably from candlekeep or something

Ranger who acts as a guide for the party traveling from place to place and hunting for a certain evil
-I dont know my DM suggested it, but i like nature themed characters.

Sorcerer in search of self fulfillment, unsatisfied with a normal life.
-He adventures because he doesn't really know what he wants but is sure he will find it somewhere in Faerun.

The character i originally rolled up is a cleric but i cant seem to find a good character concept i like with it so im rerolling. Character felt a bit gimmicky so im trying to tie the character into the world. So I suppose which one of these sounds the most fun to have around in a party?

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2015 :  16:15:56  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If a cleric, try a priest of Tymora. Priests of the Goddess of Luck are a welcome addition to adventuring parties.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2015 :  16:40:49  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you are the only magic-user in a party then there is a ton of loot than only you will be able to use.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2015 :  16:42:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll echo Jeremy. For clerics, I also strongly favor Lathander the Morninglord. Lathander has a particular beef with the undead, so perhaps your character entered Lathander's priesthood in order to learn enough to be able lay to rest some powerful undead foe. This undead foe may have allies, which really complicates the entire thing.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2015 :  16:51:40  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I second third (!) the Tymora recommendation... can't go wrong following Lady Luck. Lathander is okay (I'm not a morning person), and I like Lliira too.

Yes, paladins are often knights, and can receive lands and titles awarded by lieges. Anyone can, really. But land means responsibilities, and that might tend to limit adventuring. I don't think there are any rules regarding this; it's up to your DM.

Each of the possibilities you listed could be a lot of fun... it's up to you. I wouldn't worry too much about what everyone else wants you to play; their enjoyment of the game is their responsibility. Your task is your fun, so go with what you think will be fun for you.

The more you play, the more comfortable you'll get with the answer to "what's the most fun?" I would say don't even worry about it at first. Pick something (roll d10 for race and d12 for class) and do your best with it... find all the ways to make it fun.

Here's an idea that has worked for me. At the end of each gaming night jot down something about what was most fun for you that night, and what was the most uncomfortable... forget the other players and their possible immaturity -- this is just about what you like/dislike about each class/race/whatever. Then, the next time you have to make a new character, you have some things to remember and consider. (For example: "Flinging firebolts every round is really cool but I wish I had more hit points." "Sneak attack is SO AWESOME!" And so forth.) If you keep that notebook going for a while, you'll get a good picture of what works for you and what doesn't. For me, it turned out that playing isn't really my thing; I'm much more interested in designing the encounters and dungeons and monsters; that's the fun stuff for me. Which worked out well because there's always a demand for DMs who think DMing is the best thing in the world.

Have fun!

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 27 Apr 2015 16:53:21
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2015 :  17:46:37  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always play from a "what the party needs" aspect and in most cases, I'm the last one to make a character which is beneficial since I'm usually the one that can do so the fastest. What that said, you have a LOT of room here.

Without knowing the edition you're using, it's harder to help you make a good decision considering that each one plays differently and the needs of the party will vary from one to another. It also changes what's available in terms of options. But to go by what you've suggested, I'll do my best.

You already have two party members who are very skillful, regardless of edition but neither of them are all that great in toe-to-toe combat. The Druid can help with this (depending on edition) though you might want someone else that is better. On this front I'd clearly suggest the Paladin. His heavy armor proficiency and martial prowess is great plus his healing can keep people on their feet long enough for the party to receive healing from the Druid or potions (or Surges / Hit Die if you're using 4E or 5E).

Sorcerer is another good option because you lack any magical aid other than the sometimes there druid. With a sorcerer you can lend help to your monk and rogue allies and really play up the stealthy, quick kill aspect. If you go this route I'd suggest getting spells that are both good for utility and help make your allies more effective (like Haste). Again it's hard to give you good advise without knowing the edition. I know in v3.5 there's a feat that you can grab that will give you domain spells if you have a decent Wisdom score (Arcane Disciple, Complete Divine) in which case grabbing the Healing domain might be helpful for a few healing spells.

Lastly the bard, which I like from a conceptual angle however they lack severely from a mechanical angle in v3.5 (a little less so in Pathfinder) and they're pretty darn awesome in 4E. I haven't played one in 5E but they look pretty decent here too. This option will give you overwhelming support at skills area and probably exploration too, depending on spells picked. Like the sorcerer you're best chance is to make your other two allies the best they can be at combat by using Bardic Music (in v3.5 and Pathfinder) or support spells if 4E.

I personally don't like the Ranger because he doesn't really add anything to this party that isn't already covered by the Rogue or Monk. His spells are "meh" and his class features don't particularly lend themselves to be supportive to the other two in the group. Lastly it heavily depends on the monsters you fight (if playing with v3.5/Pathfinder) and I've always found that Favored Enemy only comes up every so often, leaving it there to sit and do nothing over 50% of the time). This is even true with 5E as well, considering the Ranger has been the weakest of all the PHB classes so far. However if you're playing 4E, the Ranger is awesome and you'll be out-damaging both characters easily so it might be route you'd want to take.

This is, however, ALL based on combat and mechanics. I think the options you listed can all easily be incorporated into the setting and I'm a particular fan of Paladins (regardless of edition) and think a Paladin of Lathander/Amaunator who aspires to be apart of the Order of Aster is a noble cause and sounds like a lot of fun.

You can also go with the Sorcerer who's trying to find out more about his lineage and bloodline and possibly where his arcane power comes from? Maybe his parents hail from southern Calimshan and his powers are tied to the efreet/Djinn or maybe from the Dragoncoast and the powers are derived from an ancient draconic bloodline? You can also make the case for fiendish heritage too, coming from the people of Nar and delve into the Nar Demonbinders.
Go to Top of Page

Ocule
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2015 :  18:40:59  Show Profile Send Ocule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Playing 5th edition right now. The order of aster is kind of cool so far im leaning sorcerer. Thats a good idea to keep track of what i like and dont like in terms of roleplaying. So far i know i tend to favor anti-heroes or heroes with some kind of internal struggle. Rarely do i ever set out to play the pinnacle of good who can do no wrong. Like a knight who has to balance duty with honor even when his lord is asking him to do nothings less than honorable, or the sorcerer prone to corruption because of the power granted to him.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2015 :  18:48:12  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ocule

Playing 5th edition right now. The order of aster is kind of cool so far im leaning sorcerer. Thats a good idea to keep track of what i like and dont like in terms of roleplaying. So far i know i tend to favor anti-heroes or heroes with some kind of internal struggle. Rarely do i ever set out to play the pinnacle of good who can do no wrong. Like a knight who has to balance duty with honor even when his lord is asking him to do nothings less than honorable, or the sorcerer prone to corruption because of the power granted to him.

Personally I'll try the off-shoot angle every once in a while just for something different to do. I tend to play divine characters like Paladins and Clerics, though I've changed up their Deity and scope a lot for more variety. So in our Pathfinder game I played a Rogue and it was a lot of fun, sort of refreshing that I wasn't acting all honorably and noble.

With that said, the 5E Sorcerer looks like a lot of fun. I haven't played one yet but I think the Draconic bloodline looks really interesting. I enjoy the fact that they made Sorcerers awesome with Metamagic features, something unique unto themselves outside the bloodline element.

Edited by - Diffan on 27 Apr 2015 18:51:42
Go to Top of Page

Riley37
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2015 :  19:15:33  Show Profile Send Riley37 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've played a bard in 5E. Bards get as many spell slots per level as wizards, clerics, etc. Plus Bardic Inspiration, plus light armor, plus skills. I took the Sage background: already knew a lot of history and lore, wanted to learn more, and write more songs; that is a GREAT motivation for going into ANY interesting situation, in the company of people who might do heroic deeds or epic fails.

At 3rd level, Lore bards get Cutting Words which is a great defensive ability. If neither you nor the DM wants PC death, then Cutting Words is your new best friend.

Bards can be devout, if you wanna play a devout character who happens not to be a cleric. Ogma, in my PC's case.

So far as I can tell, though, you can't go wrong. I'm not saying the classes are balanced, I'm just saying, they all have ENOUGH to be fun to play.
Go to Top of Page

Ocule
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2015 :  15:42:50  Show Profile Send Ocule a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looked up some stuff and both Lathander and the Knights of the Aster are both really cool for divine characters. Those knights might be what I'm looking for as I was thinking bout a character who was heavily tied into chivalry. I am a bit surprised paladins can hold land and titles since I imagine the people they are based on are the Knights Templar, who are into the whole poverty thing. Plus since in forgotten realms in most places looks like church and state are separate.

I was more or less trying to just be mindful of party needs but more looking for something I could get into for the long haul in terms of personality. The DM keeps recommending a half caster for some reason. In my other game, also set in the realms, I am playing a drow wizard (diviner) who was exiled from Menzoberranzan fleeing after being accused of heresy. Which is somewhat true, a rival wanted to usurp his position and tried to make him look like a heretic. So now on the surface he struggles to temper ambition with what is considered reasonable behavior. Over the course of the adventure he has made actual friends that he has sacrificed for and I haven't revealed this yet but he has turned to Eilistraee because he can relate well to her.

So basically trying to make something that feels different from that character so I'm not running around with two wizards.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000