Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Do you read out loud?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2015 :  05:56:07  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
As the subject line: do you read out loud, either to yourself or to a spouse, significant other or someone else?

If yes, where?

I am sure many of us read to our children, I am just curious if any of us do more than that.

I enjoy reading some (not all) of Neil Gaiman's stories out loud to my wife when we have time at home. I would like to read to her at a coffee shop someday.

Some of my author choices have been flops, too: I love reading stories by Steve Martin, but read aloud they don't have the same humor or effect.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2015 :  08:08:29  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
99% of the time, no.

But on occasion, yeah, I catch myself reading some passages out loud.

Sometimes it's because those passages don't seem to flow very well in my head as I read them off the page. So I try reading them aloud to see if I can affect an audible rhythm or cadence that had not occurred to me previously when merely reading silently. Sometimes that actually works, and I am able to prove to myself that the passage actually does flow pretty well, and then I can move on with the rest of the story.

Other times, I just get carried away with imagining a scene adapted for the big screen, and I find myself reading the dialog parts aloud and visualizing the associated actions playing out. Hearing dialog like that helps me to gauge which lines are really necessary to the plot versus which ones are effectively superfluous filler and can be dropped with no ill effect.

And anytime I come across a line by Bruenor or Arthrogate, I read those out loud merely because I loves me some pseudo-Scottish Brogue!

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2015 :  13:10:14  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of the time, no. But given the occasion, yes. I did Public Speaking, drama, and theatre in High School and college, so given the right venue, I'll read out loud. I like to do dramatized readings.
I'll do something like that for my D&D games when I'm DM; makes the "read this" text more fun. I also write dialogue for key NPCs that I'll mostly memorize and read as the character I'm portraying.
I haven't read an actual book book aloud since I was a Respite Caregiver for the local disability board several years ago.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2015 :  14:45:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can do the public speaking gig without too much of a problem -- but reading out loud, even a children's book, is not something I can do well. All of us read faster than we can speak, and I read a lot faster than most folks do. So reading aloud forces a major slowdown that I simply do not do well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2015 :  19:13:00  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2015 :  04:32:00  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

So reading aloud forces a major slowdown that I simply do not do well.

I took a decade before I moved on to my second Realms work after The Crystal Shard. I'm A-O-K with slow!

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2015 :  05:06:47  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

I'll do something like that for my D&D games when I'm DM; makes the "read this" text more fun. I also write dialogue for key NPCs that I'll mostly memorize and read as the character I'm portraying.

If I am stealing an NPC from a novel to use for D&D, I like to borrow dialogue right from the book and practice that NPC's voice ahead of time. My accents are not that great, but I try.

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2015 :  15:18:57  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

If I am stealing an NPC from a novel to use for D&D, I like to borrow dialogue right from the book and practice that NPC's voice ahead of time. My accents are not that great, but I try.

Mine aren't either. Especially among my English speaking accents. My Australian will morph into Irish accidentally from time to time unless I read the words in IPA, then my delivery slows down.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2015 :  15:09:57  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I rarely read out loud.
Go to Top of Page

Scimitars of Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2015 :  04:12:51  Show Profile Send Scimitars of Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm pretty much with the consensus as I do not read out loud. I'd agree with Beast that on occasion I will find myself reading a passage out loud, only because it may help me in understanding what's going on. If I'm having trouble picturing a certain scene in my head, then I will likely read the passage out loud and slowly, as it helps me visualize and understand what is happening.

"Surrender now, or we will slay you!" the leader of the creatures called, a bit louder and more forcefully.
"A moment, please, my friend," Zasian said, motioning to the dwarf for patience. "We are discussing your terms."

"Ye heading off with Invo . . . Inno . . . that durned elf?"
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  01:52:06  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read out loud to my spouse on occasion either from Realms source books or from whatever realms novel I happen to be reading. I've gotten her hooked on the Realms as well so she is also reading a Realms novel while we go off to sleepy land
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  01:56:11  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

I read out loud to my spouse on occasion either from Realms source books or from whatever realms novel I happen to be reading. I've gotten her hooked on the Realms as well so she is also reading a Realms novel while we go off to sleepy land

That's pretty cool.

Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2015 :  16:46:50  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read much faster than most other people (I have been known to read an entire Harry Potter novel (one of the thicker ones) in an entire school day when I was in high school, and this was with a full course load and no study-hall period--started the book in homeroom at 8:05 am, and it was finished before last bell was rung around 2:40 pm), and I pretty much never read out loud unless it's to my younger cousins/nieces/nephews and always to a book they want read. I do occasionally read dialogue out loud (still can't quite get Danilo's drawl right, but it's coming), and I always read riddles or songs out loud, to help with rhythm and flow (Elminster's Jest, in its entireity, is quite hilarious when read out loud), and to help figure out the riddles. I've had a few strange looks given to me from reading out loud, but I'm not bothered by it.

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet." - traditional elven farewell

Please forgive any spelling and grammer errors, as my android touch-screen phone has no spellchecker. If I do make a grammer mistake, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

New laptop, still trying to sort my "scrolls" on its shelves...and when will this cursed thing stop doing things I tell it not to?
Go to Top of Page

Finglas Leaflock
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2015 :  19:14:45  Show Profile Send Finglas Leaflock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read The Hobbit to my son, and now we're working on The Lord of the Rings. And I try to read Goodnight Moon to my daughter, but she often grabs it away and "reads" to me instead. :-)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2015 :  21:12:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Finglas Leaflock

I read The Hobbit to my son, and now we're working on The Lord of the Rings. And I try to read Goodnight Moon to my daughter, but she often grabs it away and "reads" to me instead. :-)

Nifty thing about Goodnight Moon: pretty much every color picture in that book, there is a mouse, somewhere. A high schooler in Greenville, SC, got some inspiration from that... And as his high school project, he raised the funds and worked thru the obligatory red tape, and now there are several bronze mice scattered on Main Street, in Greenville -- one for every mouse in the book. There's even a website, with hints, for looking for the mice:

http://www.miceonmain.com/mousehunthints.html

I did this last year, with my son, and he enjoyed the hunt.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000