Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Who would you rather pick as a companion?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2015 :  07:07:05  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Wulfgar or Thor?

Drizzt or Jarlaxle?

Catti or Alustriel

Regis or Pikel the Druid dwarf?

Also I had a question about racism in the realms.
Why does catti believe all goblin and orcs are evil? Drizzt is a clear example of why racism doesn't work in the realms?

Does anyone know of any peaceful Orc settlements in the realms?

“Change is not always growth, but growth is often rooted in change.
Drizzt Do'Urden”

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2015 :  07:51:00  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thor's not in the realms.

cause all orcs and goblins are evil in the realms

even manyarrows fell, though it fell through manipulation and greed of a few orcs than its leader.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2015 :  07:56:06  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alustriel for me. As wise as Jarlaxle but not nearly as likely to get me killed.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Magor
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2015 :  15:02:01  Show Profile Send Magor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wulfgar - mentally unstable
Thor - Marvel...
Drizzt - do-gooder, not flexible enough...concerning morals. Wouldn't make it through the first year in real life. Doesn't do it for me.
Jarlaxle - better, but still a no go cause you'd have to look over your shoulder constantly. Generally speaking ridiculously high chance to get ripped off when he's around.
Catti - incompetent, nag
Alustriel - if I would have to choose, I'd pick her, but I'd have reservations
Regis - nah, not dependable
Pikel the Druid dwarf - druid sounds fine.

Edited by - Magor on 25 Apr 2015 15:05:57
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2015 :  16:11:00  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Berkthgar

Why does catti believe all goblin and orcs are evil? Drizzt is a clear example of why racism doesn't work in the realms?

Because she believes a goddess told her so.

With or without religious complication, racism occurs wherever there are creatures who are intelligent enough to discern differences between themselves and similar "others." Beholders are maybe extreme in this regard, but the mulan humans of Mulhorand/Unther/Thay are also renowned for it.

We're free to decide how much it figures into our own campaigns, but the official Realms has not been written as a kumbaya place where everyone lives in harmony. We might think that those who've met Drizzt or another exception to the general rule should be strong enough to reject racism, but generally they aren't. They just make a single exception to the rule, and perhaps hope for other exceptions, but their instincts and precautions still follow the rule. And in a situation where 99% of drow will flay you and sacrifice you to the glory of something gross, and 99% of orcs will skewer your children and roast them for dinner, perhaps it's wise to prepare for the "all are evil" to be true of all of the ones you'll meet in your lifetime.

All just my 2 cents on the topic.
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2015 :  16:34:37  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, as it was said, Catti believes it because Mielikki told her so.
Although that's very odd, seeing how Mielikki's best friend, Eldath, is worshipped by a whole race of peacefull orcs(ondonti).
Ed explained somewere(I don't remember exacly well), that the Sundering was affecting the gods behaviour, so this could be the case with Mielikki.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2015 :  18:44:18  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

quote:

Because she believes a goddess told her so.

With or without religious complication, racism occurs wherever there are creatures who are intelligent enough to discern differences between themselves and similar "others." Beholders are maybe extreme in this regard, but the mulan humans of Mulhorand/Unther/Thay are also renowned for it.

We're free to decide how much it figures into our own campaigns, but the official Realms has not been written as a kumbaya place where everyone lives in harmony. We might think that those who've met Drizzt or another exception to the general rule should be strong enough to reject racism, but generally they aren't. They just make a single exception to the rule, and perhaps hope for other exceptions, but their instincts and precautions still follow the rule. And in a situation where 99% of drow will flay you and sacrifice you to the glory of something gross, and 99% of orcs will skewer your children and roast them for dinner, perhaps it's wise to prepare for the "all are evil" to be true of all of the ones you'll meet in your lifetime.

All just my 2 cents on the topic.

Agreed.

Thor, Jarlaxle, Alustriel, Regis after the Companions. Pikel before.

Goblinkin according to one of the 5e core books were created by an evil god. Evil gods have no reason to craft minons with free will.
Any exceptions to the orcs are evil trope are just that, and don't require the entire race to suddenly have free will, just that exception.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

Edited by - Delwa on 25 Apr 2015 18:44:57
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2015 :  22:49:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure why Thor is on this list... But there aren't many scenarios where I would pick a mortal over a deity.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2015 :  03:23:48  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wulfgar, Jarlaxle, Alustriel, and neither of those two.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2015 :  08:13:26  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All but Jarlaxle. Just can't trust that dude.

Like Garak the Cardassian from DS9.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 26 Apr 2015 08:14:35
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2015 :  13:26:31  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, about Marvel's Thor, I guess his closest counterpart in the Realms, would be Valkur, or rather an avatar of him.
Both are protectors(just like mythological Thor was a protector from Giants who personifient the destructive side of Nature, Valkur protects against the Deities of Fury, who have similar role to Jotun, and of course the Marvel's Thor, protects mortals from various villains). Both are connected to Weather.
Both Valkur, and the Marvel's Thor, also share the epitet of The Mighty.

Edited by - Baltas on 26 Apr 2015 14:21:05
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2015 :  01:28:11  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thor
Jarlaxle
Alustriel and getting a nice feather bed
Pikel

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2015 :  16:00:31  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What was that one Orc dwarf settlement bruenor, Regis and drizzt found? I believe it was during the transition series.

Drizzt Do'Urden”
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2015 :  23:50:15  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What was that one Orc dwarf settlement bruenor, Regis and drizzt found? I believe it was during the transition series.

Baffenburg.

Why?

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2015 :  23:33:54  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well it just goes to show that orcs and dwarfs can get along. Wasnt that the inspiration for the treaty of garums gorge?

Drizzt Do'Urden”
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2015 :  23:37:36  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I dislike all of R.A. Salvatore's hero characters.
The idea of having to be around any of them is painfully insufferable

All orcs and goblins are evil. They should be exterminated.
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2015 :  23:58:00  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrHedgehog

I dislike all of R.A. Salvatore's hero characters.
The idea of having to be around any of them is painfully insufferable

All orcs and goblins are evil. They should be exterminated.

Well, there are evidence against the all All orcs and goblins are evil thesis. We have counterexamples, like Nojheim, General Vrakk, or the whole Ondonti race.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2015 :  00:15:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please, let's not have that debate again. It got ugly, last time.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Last Zulkir
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2015 :  07:02:30  Show Profile Send The Last Zulkir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An Orc focused debate, getting ugly? [;P]

Yeah, the only character on that list I know well is Alustriel, who I like. Tomi Undergallows over either of the Drow; same basic skill set, more fun at parties. I nominate mortal Red Knight over the first two, and the last... I don't know either enough to have a preference or an alternative.

I should read more novels.
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2015 :  10:27:34  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Please, let's not have that debate again. It got ugly, last time.

I must've somehow missed that one...
But if so, then let's not discuss the Goblinoid/Orc race are or not topic.
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2015 :  15:32:18  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alustriel.
Go to Top of Page

Finglas Leaflock
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2015 :  21:19:44  Show Profile Send Finglas Leaflock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wulfgar, because he's a Realms character

Drizzt

Alustriel, because she seems beyond normal-mortal cool, but no problem for me with Catti-brie.

Regis, probably a nice guy to hang with.

Go to Top of Page

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2015 :  00:42:57  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How powerful is wulfgar?

Does he really get infused with the power of tempus every time he battles?

Drizzt Do'Urden”
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2015 :  19:41:52  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure why Thor is on this list either, but I agree with Wooly about there not being many scenarios where I'd go with a mortal over a god. XD

That being said, I am sad that Artemis Entreri was not one of the options. Sure, he'd probably kill me within the first day, but most of the others would annoy me to the point of offing myself, so hey, stab me sempai, my body is ready? >_>
Go to Top of Page

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2015 :  06:42:40  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just put Thor cause he has a massive hammer too haha

Drizzt Do'Urden”
Go to Top of Page

DandelionClock
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2015 :  17:33:59  Show Profile Send DandelionClock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

All but Jarlaxle. Just can't trust that dude.

Like Garak the Cardassian from DS9.

YES! Both cool characters. But you'd have to be stupid to make them your travel companions. I wouldn't sleep too well.

Now, a nice chat out of curiosity...

I suppose Regis would be the most tolerable travelling companion... Too much politics and godly machinations around the rest for my taste.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  00:45:12  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wulfgar or Thor?

Drizzt or Jarlaxle?

Catti or Alustriel

Regis or Pikel the Druid dwarf?

Also I had a question about racism in the realms.

Does anyone know of any peaceful Orc settlements in the realms?

Neither Wulfgar or thor would appeal to me.

Drizzt. Jarlaxle would intentionally get us into trouble. I avoid friend like that. Mind you, I would not want Drizzt much more. Not a fan of goodie two shoes who would insist on fighting for causes and seeking adventure. And I am not the sort Drizzt would want for a friend.

I'd be the kind of jerk who ends up as a mafia fence in Waterdeep. Jannaxil Serpentil style.

Alustriel. Most Drizzt fans don't realize just how powerful she is because Bob generally ignores her superpowers and has her riding a fiery chariot. She is more powerful than Gromph Baerne. She can obliterate armies

Pikel. More amusing and less likely to need you to bail him out of messes

Edited by - Firestorm on 06 May 2015 00:47:51
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000