Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Cancelled products
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Magor
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2015 :  14:07:50  Show Profile Send Magor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Can anyone share his(/her) knowledge about 1E/2E material that was planned to be released at some time or even in the making but then finally was abandoned/not released? I'm interested in topics, names, authors, rumors, a story behind the cancellation and so on.

(Just to point this out clearly: not interested in anything 3E/4E)

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2015 :  15:21:48  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some cancelled novels are Reclamation, Pride of the Lion, Neverwinter Nights, Rise of the Blade, and The Shores of Dusk. I think only the last two on the list are 2E though.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Magor
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2015 :  18:39:34  Show Profile Send Magor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was more interested in rpg-stuff, not novels. Should have said so.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2015 :  18:48:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think there were plans for move Volo's Guides, but those never happened.

And the promised Phlan web enhancement never materialized, either... Nor did we ever get the rest of many bits of Edlore, like the Border Kingdoms articles or the more recent Forging the Realms.

I would have liked to have seen the DC/TSR comics go longer, too. Spelljammer, in particular, was starting to get really interesting, but then abruptly ended.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2015 :  00:37:53  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The next product in the Arcane Age line was likely going to be "Shanatar" or "Telantiwar". I know what Steven Schend planned for 3E but none of that came to fruition as he was moved to the Alternity line and Rich Baker took over the Realms.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Magor
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2015 :  07:26:22  Show Profile Send Magor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly, were there any particular Volo's Guides, well let's say in discussion? Also: what Border Kingdom articles are you referring to (something out from Dragon mag or Polyhedron)?

George, 'Shanatar' as in 'Deep Shanatar'? Do you know of the reason Arcane Age was dropped? By the way, I always felt that more information about the dwarven culture, especially the kingdoms, was needed.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2015 :  08:05:03  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And there's Jakandor novel, ready but unpublished (they managed to release game material just at the last moment).

quote:
Originally posted by Magor

what Border Kingdom articles are you referring to (something out from Dragon mag or Polyhedron)?

The Border Kingdoms Archive

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2015 :  14:05:06  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The "Arcane Age" line ceased with the advent of 3E. As to why, I think with the new edition, they were looking to revisit parts of the Realms and provide a 3E rules framework to them. By the time they did that to places like Waterdeep, the Shining South, the Underdark, the Unapproachable East, etc. it was time for 4E and the great 100 year jump.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2015 :  14:35:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wooly, were there any particular Volo's Guides, well let's say in discussion?

Several years back, WotC did a web article listing books of the Realms -- books that existed in the setting. Several Volo's Guides were on there, covering areas the real-world ones did not. As I recall, Steven Schend said that at least some of them were once planned, but then plans changed and we never got them.

Here's the list, in alphabetical order:

* Volo's Guide to All Things Magical -- (Rewrite with aid of Elminster)
Volo's Guide to the Bloodstone Lands -- unreleased
Volo's Guide to Calimport -- notes & old draft; all final drafts destroyed by pashas and Rundeen agents
Volo's Guide to Cormyr
Volo's Guide to the Dalelands
Volo’s Guide to the Lands of Intrigue -- (excerpts and partial draft of which released by Elminster to chroniclers as “Volo’s Guide to Baldur’s Gate II”)
Volo's Guide to the Moonsea -- unreleased and suppressed by Zhentarim agents
Volo's Guide to the North
Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast
Volo's Guide to the Vast -- unreleased
Volo's Guide to Waterdeep
Volo's Guide to Westgate & the Dragon Coast -- unreleased

Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2015 :  15:39:34  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still have a few of those Dragonlance comics. I wonder if they are worth anything?

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2015 :  15:42:21  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

The next product in the Arcane Age line was likely going to be "Shanatar" or "Telantiwar". I know what Steven Schend planned for 3E but none of that came to fruition as he was moved to the Alternity line and Rich Baker took over the Realms.

-- George Krashos

I am absolutely dying for more Arcane Age stuff. I still hug my Cormanthyr book tightly to my chest ever so often.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2015 :  16:56:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

I still have a few of those Dragonlance comics. I wonder if they are worth anything?

Likely not. I replaced almost the entire run of DC/TSR comics for like $50, after I lost my originals in the fire. So that was Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, and Spelljammer. Since it was in lots, that was less than a dollar per issue. Plus, I see the two FR titles sold on eBay quite frequently, rarely for more than a couple bucks an issue.

Go to Top of Page

Magor
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2015 :  19:28:27  Show Profile Send Magor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The "Arcane Age" line ceased with the advent of 3E. As to why, I think with the new edition, they were looking to revisit parts of the Realms and provide a 3E rules framework to them.

That's not much of an explanation, because it's true for most of the 2E stuff anyway. Considering that there were only but 4 items altogether - again only interested in rpg stuff here - in the arcane age product line it puzzles me how this was handled. Netheril and How the Mighty... came out both in 1996, Cormanthor and Fall of Myth Drannor in 1998. That'd be almost 5 years of 2E-time for producing arcane age material yet it didn't happen. I guess there must have been another reason behind this.
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2015 :  21:35:10  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Slightly off-topic but not entirely, did "Volo's Guide to BG II" ever get a PDF release?
Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2015 :  21:43:51  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really would like a Dragon Coast book, as it's a real shame there's no sourcebook for that setting. Could've maybe included Cormyr and Sembia in that too.

Edited by - deserk on 25 Apr 2015 21:44:22
Go to Top of Page

Magor
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2015 :  22:14:17  Show Profile Send Magor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

Slightly off-topic but not entirely, did "Volo's Guide to BG II" ever get a PDF release?

I do have an ocr one here, so I guess there is one.
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2015 :  06:08:33  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Several years back, WotC did a web article listing books of the Realms -- books that existed in the setting. Several Volo's Guides were on there, covering areas the real-world ones did not. As I recall, Steven Schend said that at least some of them were once planned, but then plans changed and we never got them.

Here's the list, in alphabetical order:

* Volo's Guide to All Things Magical -- (Rewrite with aid of Elminster)
Volo's Guide to the Bloodstone Lands -- unreleased
Volo's Guide to Calimport -- notes & old draft; all final drafts destroyed by pashas and Rundeen agents
Volo's Guide to Cormyr
Volo's Guide to the Dalelands
Volo’s Guide to the Lands of Intrigue -- (excerpts and partial draft of which released by Elminster to chroniclers as “Volo’s Guide to Baldur’s Gate II”)
Volo's Guide to the Moonsea -- unreleased and suppressed by Zhentarim agents
Volo's Guide to the North
Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast
Volo's Guide to the Vast -- unreleased
Volo's Guide to Waterdeep
Volo's Guide to Westgate & the Dragon Coast -- unreleased

Reading that list reminds me of this quote by Kurt Vonnegut: “Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are, "It might have been.”

It's probably safe to say Westgate and the Dragon Coast, The Moonsea, and the Lands of Intrigue would have been among the next Volo's Guides.

Edited by - Rymac on 26 Apr 2015 06:11:22
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2015 :  09:52:52  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
That's not much of an explanation, because it's true for most of the 2E stuff anyway. Considering that there were only but 4 items altogether - again only interested in rpg stuff here - in the arcane age product line it puzzles me how this was handled. Netheril and How the Mighty... came out both in 1996, Cormanthor and Fall of Myth Drannor in 1998. That'd be almost 5 years of 2E-time for producing arcane age material yet it didn't happen. I guess there must have been another reason behind this.

FR 3E came out in 2001. It was being planned from 1998. The 1999 product schedule was already in place. Shanatar was put up for possible release in mid-2000. Steven Schend got shifted off the Realms. There was no one else interested in doing Arcane Age. Line ends. What other reason do you think makes more sense?

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2015 :  14:41:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

FR 3E came out in 2001. It was being planned from 1998. The 1999 product schedule was already in place. Shanatar was put up for possible release in mid-2000. Steven Schend got shifted off the Realms. There was no one else interested in doing Arcane Age. Line ends. What other reason do you think makes more sense?

-- George Krashos

Gods, I wish they'd not shifted Steven away... The 3E era really, really needed a traffic cop... Of course, I'm also convinced that the removal of that position was deliberate, and that they specifically chose to pay less attention (if any at all) to prior continuity.

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2015 :  20:40:10  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

-- George Krashos

Gods, I wish they'd not shifted Steven away... The 3E era really, really needed a traffic cop... Of course, I'm also convinced that the removal of that position was deliberate, and that they specifically chose to pay less attention (if any at all) to prior continuity.

Same.
It kind of breaks my heart to see so many warcraft novels on the bookshelves selling in the place forgotten realms used to occupy.

A simple MMORPG based on a real time strategy game generated enough interest for them to have a bunch of books come out, while DnD continues to die before our eyes because most gamers interested in DnD shifted towards gaming in the past decade.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000