Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Extradimensional Exit Extension
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2015 :  13:07:24  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, picture this spell for 3.5

You can cast it and it can work exactly like rope trick OR

You can cast it and link it to an existing and still functioning rope trick spell you've already cast in range, such that when the people inside of said rope trick exit, they exit out of the new casting.

What level do you think that would be? I'm thinking this would be a nice spell that might only be learnable by people that can craft portals (based on the concepts I presented a few weeks back where there could be certain spells only to people with a background represented by having certain feats).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2015 :  01:43:15  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rope trick is a 2nd level spell which just creates a small extra-dimensional space with an entry/exit point anchored to a fixed location in normal-dimensional space.

A modified rope trick with a movable extra-dimensional location is somewhat pointless, since an extra-dimensional space is just an extra-dimensional space regardless of "wherever" it might be, extra-dimensional spaces theoretically have no spatial limits (in D&D, anyways) aside from being unable to be created/located within other extra-dimensional spaces - ie, every extra-dimensional space is isolated from any others unless perhaps they share the same location(s) in normal-dimensional space.
A modified rope trick with a movable normal-dimensional location would be (I'd say) a 3rd level spell.
A modified rope trick which could connect (with extra-dimensional ropes, lol?) to other/existing extra-dimensional spaces would also be (I'd say) a 3rd level spell.
A modified rope trick which could do it all, as you suggest, would be (I'd say) a 4th level spell.

In fact, I would even suggest a variant dimensional portal spell which could allow the caster to sense and/or connect to any/all "nearby" extra-dimensional locations (instead of normal-dimensional locations) and perhaps also happen to be useful, as a secondary function, as a simple (or enlarged?) rope trick spell.
An "unlimited" version of such a spell - which could allow a caster to "reach into" or "travel into" extra-dimensional spaces (to invade rope trick hideouts, steal from deeppockets and bags of holding, etc, mwoohaha) - would be (I'd say) 5th level. A "basic" version of such a spell - as described above - would be (I'd say) 4th level. A "limited" version of such a spell - which can only interact with extra-dimensional spaces created by rope trick magics - would be (I'd say) 3rd level.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 27 Apr 2015 01:54:36
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2015 :  02:04:13  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bear in mind the possibilities here though. Party is facing some hazard. They climb into rope trick and leave spellcaster on the outside. Spellcaster uses some trick to bypass hazard (walking through the earth, etc...). On the other side, he casts the spell to link to that other rope trick and let's everyone out. Also, there's the possibility to transport hazardous materials this way. Essentially, this is like teleporting the whole party.

I do like the idea of being able to modify other people's rope tricks as well, and that definitely could be a nice high level spell. Moving their rope trick to exit above some lava, a pool of acid, or a sphere of annihilation would be a mean way of killing a party.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2015 :  02:37:15  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the ability to invade other people's extradimensional spaces, lol. Whatcha got in your bag of holding, eh?

Or the ability to move extradimensional "locations". Reach into your bag of holding and find that it's just a ... bag. Hide in a rope trick then discover that your opponent can seal it and move it around (to a bad place, of course) or perhaps just invert the entry point so you have to climb out or something.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2015 :  13:41:51  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would be tempted to add a mechanical step in the spell where the original casters casterlevel would have to be bested, and/or limit the amount of extradimensional cubes the EEE's caster can effectively manipulate, to have the spells power scale with level a bit.

Perhaps a lower level version that works in cubic feet at touch range, a medium level version in cubic squares (5ft^3) at close range, and a high level version that works in 10 cubic feet per level at medium range. This way the spell is first a way to 'scout out' extradimensional spaces (allowing scrying sensors in), then one that can alter exits and such when near the original casting, then one that allows manipulation of portals and extradimensional chambers at high speed within a dungeon scale.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2015 :  04:04:53  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Higher level spells typically trump lower level spells, but there are many exceptions. I sometimes apply some version of the dispel magic rules when needed.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2015 :  13:33:33  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good point on the having to best the other caster if you modify someone else's extradimensional space. I hadn't originally considered allowing that version of spell, because I can see some nastiness.... but the more I think it through the more I'm warming up to it.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000