Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Book with best overview of 5e FR?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kolpo
Acolyte

Belgium
2 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2015 :  23:13:05  Show Profile Send kolpo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello,

If I know little about FR what is then the best book to get an overview of current FR. Many things in 4e get reversed later, all important human characters of 3e books should be dead by 5e and I found no 5e book of FR.

Any book you would suggest to get an overview of FR in 5e?

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2015 :  23:30:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sadly, we are all waiting on that book. And we don't have any info on when we're getting it, or the format it will take.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2015 :  23:31:27  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a fan of many editions, I think it's difficult to say in a generalized sense. Yes they reversed parts that 4e changed but to what extent? I haven't read the Sundering books so I'm not sure how extensive the changes are: Did they bring back Maztica, Mulhorand, and Unther? People say yes because those places are discussed in the Player's Handbook but to what capacity? What happened to Akanûl, Returned Abeir, and Tymanther? What about the people there? What's happened to Thay? Netheril took a serious blow to their empire and now their main city is crushed into Myth Drannor, so what implications does that have on the Shadovar and Elves, let alone the Dalelands and surrounding areas?

Best advise I can give is you is stick to a specific area to start, find info about that area first and grab any related material. For example, if you start in Neverwinter then it might be a good idea to pick up the Neverwinter Campaign Guide (4E supplement) for content and material contained therein. You might also want to look at the relevant novels that depict the city and surrounding area.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2015 :  23:41:49  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Currently, the best book is Ed Greenwood's The Herald. It covers the most details of the year surrounding the Sundering.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2015 :  00:08:18  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Much of what's known about the Realms (less any info on the Sundering) can be found in the sourcebook Ed Greenwood Presents:: Elminster's Forgotten Realms.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2015 :  01:49:31  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you have questions on a specific matter, you can also directly ask Ed here: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19841&whichpage=1

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 23 Apr 2015 01:49:47
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2015 :  16:49:31  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

Much of what's known about the Realms (less any info on the Sundering) can be found in the sourcebook Ed Greenwood Presents:: Elminster's Forgotten Realms.

This. And honestly, I'm finding myself referring to this book more than my 3E Campaign Setting for getting a feel of daily life and how to present the Realms.
I'd highly recommend it.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2015 :  17:32:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

quote:

This. And honestly, I'm finding myself referring to this book more than my 3E Campaign Setting for getting a feel of daily life and how to present the Realms.
I'd highly recommend it.

Indeed. It's the best thing for a slice of life approach -- nothing rules related, it's all about living in the Realms.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 23 Apr 2015 19:01:58
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2015 :  18:14:51  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Slice of lice?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2015 :  19:02:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Slice of lice?

I've no idea what you're talking about.

Go to Top of Page

kolpo
Acolyte

Belgium
2 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2015 :  08:39:43  Show Profile Send kolpo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just discovered that I could buy the 3e FR campaign guide for only 15(at dndclassics). After I have read that book shall I check out Elminster's Forgotten Realms, is it a completely different world in that book?

Edited by - kolpo on 25 Apr 2015 08:40:45
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2015 :  14:12:19  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not at all. The Elminster's Realms book updates how life is currently lived in the Realms, including how some deities are worshipped, talks about magic and why evil is tolerated to a degree in otherwise goodly places, and provides the DM with an idea of the history of how the Realms was first designed for use by DMs.

The 3E FR Campaign guide is a great place to start, of course, and A LOT of information. If you take it slow, learning about the Realms can be an enjoyable experience all by itself.

Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2015 :  21:36:55  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would it be an idea to make a thread or something here at Candlekeep where people can contribute to a list of all things 5E Realms?
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2015 :  22:37:45  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

Would it be an idea to make a thread or something here at Candlekeep where people can contribute to a list of all things 5E Realms?

It's a good idea.

See the Timeline 1450-Present (SPOILERS) scroll for a start. All of the sources are listed in the second post in that scroll.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 25 Apr 2015 22:38:27
Go to Top of Page

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2015 :  23:10:04  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's a good idea too.
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2015 :  16:23:36  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aha I knew it was too good to not have been thought of already :) Thanks for the link. I am curious about the Sundering because I still don't understand what it really entails. I tried reading "The Companions" but - no offense intended - I prefer well-written fantasy and had to put it down.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000