Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Hag Deities/communities/involvement of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2015 :  17:49:27  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, a while back, I was theorizing that way back in -26400 DR that Narathmault (later Dun-Tharos where the Rotting Man overthrew the Nentyarch) was actually a hag city known then as Bheuristahl. My thoughts were that at the time the Unapproachable east was known as the "Spirit Realms" and was a land filled with all kinds of fey, beast creatures, plant creatures... and the hags, ogres, and giants were the "humanoids" of the region along with some interloping elves. So, my view was that hags were a big influence in the east and that influence has waned but is still strong in Rashemen.

However, it occurs to me that the hags may have had several deities they worshipped... and not necessarily all evil. It also occurs to me that the Finnish pantheon perfectly fits "hag" since its filled with old crone witches. Thus, I submit the idea that in addition to Cegilune, perhaps Loviatar and Kiputytto were actually hag deities who eventually became less well known.

Another interesting idea is that Loviatar was noted in our lore as "wife of the wind".... so I wonder if at some point she and Talos weren't an item.

Louhi would also fit well in this lore as a hag goddess (possibly as another name for Cegilune, but that might chalk some people off). Given that the idea is there are two "lands"... the Kalevala, the land of good heroes, and Pohjola, the land of evil and wizardry. If we believe that the hags are interlopers from the feywild, then Pohjola might be in the feywild (or be another name for it).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2015 :  18:27:21  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Louhi in D&D lore, is one of Iggwilv's names...
Although Iggwilv was brough up by the legendary hag Baba Yaga.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2015 :  16:23:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baltas

Well, Louhi in D&D lore, is one of Iggwilv's names...
Although Iggwilv was brough up by the legendary hag Baba Yaga.

Interesting. So, do we have any inkling as to her age from Greyhawk lore? It could also be something where Iggwilv eventually slew Louhi and took on her name.

I really need to read some Finnish mythology, as it and Norse bear a strong resemblance in many ways (probably due to closeness). I've been so focused on Greek, Norse, and Egyptian that I've only barely looked at Celtic, Finnish, and Babylonian other than what I find in Wiki's or gaming books.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000