Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Elf name for the Dragonmere?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2015 :  07:12:03  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anyone know the common name given to the Dragonmere by the elves?

Was there a different name given to it by the elves that displaced Thauglomorious?

Thankee in advance! :)

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2015 :  20:34:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I now the Elves referred to the Moonsea as the 'Dragonsea' early-on, so it does make sense that they would NOT have named the Dragonmere something similar (to avoid confusion).

They also had myths about a 'giant empire' or some such in or around the Inner Sea, which could be another reason why they may have not named the (now) Dragonmere after dragons. What they would have called it is anybody's guess.

In fact - is there a different name for it on the Netherease maps? Does it even appear on them? (I have no time to check at this point). A lot of stuff had different names on those maps.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2015 :  20:57:21  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I checked out Grand History of the Realms and Lost Empires for a map of ancient times and found nothing on there.

I checked out my archive for Cormyr, the Dragon Coast, and the Sea of Fallen Stars and found nothing there either.

Cormanthor may have had limited contact with the elves of the sea of fallen stars in times gone by (given the various transformation rituals that took place and the transference of noble houses into and out of the inner sea from Cormanthor) and so the lake could have been named after a sea elven nation in the area.

At the moment Naramyr exists in that region but is a bit more recent, however it is named after something to do with a long dead sea elven kingdom in the area called Ryeniir (around during the time of Aryselmalyr). So if I were to hazard a guess I would name it Lake Ryeniir.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2015 :  22:34:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder what the dragons called it? The Usmere?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2015 :  00:34:21  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone and dazzler in particular. :)

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2015 :  07:43:31  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also as an after thought, ryeniir is not a million miles away from dragonmere, phonetically speaking.

Accidentally swap the y for a g then add a d at the front and an m in the middle and you have drgenmiir.

I found one source that says the lake has sea dragons in it but the only thing I found supporting that is the quelzarm in Westgate. Maybe the dragonmere is a spelling cockup and was never named after dragons at all.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2015 :  11:50:57  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

Does anyone know the common name given to the Dragonmere by the elves?

Was there a different name given to it by the elves that displaced Thauglomorious?

Thankee in advance! :)

I'd go with Ormaluraun.

Ed has told me in times past that the elvish word for dragon is "orm". The word for water is "alu" and large is "raun" (so for me, "aluraun" is the word for sea and "araluraun" is ocean [great sea]).

Hope this is helpful.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2015 :  12:48:42  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting. Orm is similar to worm or wyrm.
There are a few names that make some sense now. Cormyr itself for one. corm orp, ormserpent both may have a dragon association.
Osraun mountains may mean large.

good stuff to know. Cheers George

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2015 :  22:21:57  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good stuff!

I suppose there could have been multiple names among the elves for the Dragonmere, depending on the point in time and which elves you asked.

Hrm...must ask Ed a precise question, then.

Go to Top of Page

hilary31
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2015 :  09:04:28  Show Profile  Visit hilary31's Homepage Send hilary31 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
good stuff to know!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2015 :  17:55:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for the 'Cor' in Cormyr, that prefix has to do with forests, like 'wooded land', but not in the normal human context. There is a bit reverence/holiness placed upon it as well; something along the lines of 'exalted of nature' might be closer, if we go back into early elven (late Fey?) language. I have surmised this because the current (excepted by humans) translation is 'forest', but like any translation something is lost, and in this case, all the glory that elves put behind it. We also see it in the exalted elven positions, like Coronal. It is used in front of things that are worthy of some respect (which makes sense, because Elves revered the huge, primal forests of Faerūn). So something like Cormanthyr might translate (loosely) to 'blessed land', whereas Cormanthor might translate to 'Blessed kingdom of the elves' (once again, VERY loosely).

I suppose there may have been a water version as well, mainly used by sea elves - perhaps something like 'maer' (blessed water) that has devolved into the human 'mere'. Something like Aluormmaer - 'revered waters of the sea dragons'.

Just my 2¢.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

I suppose there could have been multiple names among the elves for the Dragonmere, depending on the point in time and which elves you asked.
Pretty much THIS.

The mythic 'giant kingdom' that existed in or around the Inner Sea may have just referred to it as 'The Giant Sea' (since the SoFS looked VERY different back - probably just a cluster of smaller bodies of water, like the Great Lakes) in their language. In fact, that 'arm' that is the Dragonmere probably didn't even exist then, so the whole region could have had different names for each smaller body of water.

I am sure the Sarrukh and Batrachi had their own names as well.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Apr 2015 17:39:10
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000