Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 ''The Realms will be updated''
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2015 :  14:49:28  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh right, that was kind of obvious

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

GungHo
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2015 :  16:07:52  Show Profile  Visit GungHo's Homepage Send GungHo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would just like a map.
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2015 :  20:15:27  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GungHo

I would just like a map.

In the style of Mike Schley would be nice. His style and coloring complements the Realms maps that came before, with the exception of the dull palette used in 4E (Still don't understand why they choose that).
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2015 :  22:56:04  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

People will forgive and forget the 'Jar Jar Binks' in time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFu_dxwU-sk

Let the hate flow through you.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Baptor
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2015 :  04:25:02  Show Profile  Visit Baptor's Homepage Send Baptor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

quote:

I would just like a map.

In the style of Mike Schley would be nice. His style and coloring complements the Realms maps that came before, with the exception of the dull palette used in 4E (Still don't understand why they choose that).

His maps are nice, but nothing beats the map from 3E. That was, hands down, the most perfect fantasy map I've ever seen.

Jesus said, "I am the Ressurection and the Life. Anyone who believes in Me will live even if he dies, and those who live and believe in Me will never die. Do you believe this?"
Go to Top of Page

GungHo
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2015 :  15:32:23  Show Profile  Visit GungHo's Homepage Send GungHo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baptor

quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

quote:

I would just like a map.

His maps are nice, but nothing beats the map from 3E. That was, hands down, the most perfect fantasy map I've ever seen.

Agreed. And that's why I want the map. The map tells plenty of stories. The map tells me what's changed. The map tells me if some of the weird Abeir-Toril collision was undone and how much was undone. I can fill in a lot of the details, but the map tells me where they were/are expecting things to go.
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2015 :  08:00:25  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is it a bad thing that I still prefer the vastness of the 2e maps? Don't get me wrong, I like the cleanness of the 3e map, but at the same time it shrunk spaces that DMs could play without being disturbed by future products.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2015 :  16:52:18  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rymac

quote:

Is it a bad thing that I still prefer the vastness of the 2e maps? Don't get me wrong, I like the cleanness of the 3e map, but at the same time it shrunk spaces that DMs could play without being disturbed by future products.

I am torn between both. It just depends ob whether I'm DMing and want to plop an extra small hamlet on the map or I want to get to the next town quicker. I solve my dilemma by calling both maps innacurate depictions of the actual distance. They are instead fair approximations.
I do agree that a simple map would suffice for me. I'm making my own political changes myself.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2015 :  20:00:38  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to see more info about 5e. I actually think it holds some promise. I think a lot of the negativity stems from the fact that there was a lot of hype and buildup for 5e, and while the novels were pretty good, I don't think they delivered exactly what people were expecting, and while there has been some product release, it didn't live up to our expectations. At this point, I think both Wizards and fans are gun-shy. As fans, we're emotionally and financially invested in the Realms. We care about what happens, and we want to buy products, but only if we think they're good.

This is going to show my naivete, but what are the best sites for finding info on the Realms (like new lore and other updates?) I honestly find the Wizards site hard to navigate, and thr last time I went on there, it didn't like my password, and when I tried to retrieve it, I never got the "change password" email. But I suppose their site is a logical place. I keep meaning to check out Enworld, but I don't have time to spend hours on various sites looking for info. I am a fan of the Realms, but sometimes I feel so out of the loop.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2015 :  20:07:24  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
EN World usually has the latest news shortly after WotC themselves publish it. If you want lore, then you have many people willing to help you here and (with some luck, namely not running into NDAs) Ed can even give you official lore on what you wish to know (so, if you have questions regarding the 5e FR, then try to ask, Ed's answers and novels may very well be the only real source of updated lore for the Realms for a long time...).

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 30 May 2015 20:08:11
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2015 :  20:12:59  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, thanks. I will check out Enworld. It's mainly newer lore I am looking for, so I am pretty much am in the same boat as everyone else. But there seems to be at least a little 5e lore that has been released outside the Sundering novels, which so far, has been my best source of knowledge on 5e (this is why I really want a FRCG for 5e).

But I would also like to know about WotC's latest moves, so it sounds like Enworld would be my best bet.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2015 :  23:38:11  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rymac

quote:

I don't get any "crowded" feel from the 3e maps. Even with Markustay's and HandsomeRob's additions of all the canon places they could find, it's a lot of really, really empty wilderness out there. Geographically, you can fit entire nations within other nations without stretching anything. Lore-wise, you need some work to figure out the interactions between your new stuff and what's out there, of course.

If you want an example, look at my post in the signature (that reminds me I didn't update it in ages...). It's not a new nation, strictly speaking, but I made up about fifteen polities and fit them into Sespech, and meshed everything into (most of) the canon lore. Geography was *by far* the easiest part. It actually helped me more than got in the way.

Doesn't mean I liked the warping of the map in 3e, though. I got used to it, and I can see the argument for it having been done, but ideally I'd have developed Erlkazar (for example) instead of smashing it into the end of the Deepwash and barely talking about its existence if at all.

Bottom line, like I often say, I don't think there's such thing as an over-developed world ("developed" in the sense of details being fleshed out for all places). I'm more of a Realms fan than a Realms DM, but when I do DM in the Realms, I'd rather have a place I can modify to suit my ideas than have a whole lot of empty space to put my stuff in. Empty places don't fire up my imagination - vivid, sensible and engaging descriptions do.

Never sleep under the jackfruit tree.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

My campaign thread: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447

Edited by - Mapolq on 30 May 2015 23:40:27
Go to Top of Page

Cyrinishad
Learned Scribe

300 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2015 :  17:17:56  Show Profile Send Cyrinishad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and say that new maps would be more useful to me than any book... I don't even want a retcon to eliminate the Spellplague, I'm ok with apocalypse level events. The spellplague seemed like exactly the kind of thing Cyric would want to unleash on Toril.

I could even live with them releasing piecemeal adventures that update the lore, if it is accompanied by a simple declaration that says the post-Sundering geography is now the same map from 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Edition. It would save WotC a ton of work, and probably satisfy the people that want to use the Forgotten Realms as a setting.

On the other hand, if that kind of simple declaration can't be made. I want a top-to-bottom fully detailed 5th Edition FRCS complete with exhaustively detailed new maps, new monsters, new spells, new feats, new class kits, new magic items, etc.

To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. -Socrates

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2015 :  20:59:27  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr.Markustay I am afraid that the window of opportunity has closed.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2015 :  02:37:45  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cyrinishad

I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and say that new maps would be more useful to me than any book... I don't even want a retcon to eliminate the Spellplague, I'm ok with apocalypse level events. The spellplague seemed like exactly the kind of thing Cyric would want to unleash on Toril.

I could even live with them releasing piecemeal adventures that update the lore, if it is accompanied by a simple declaration that says the post-Sundering geography is now the same map from 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Edition. It would save WotC a ton of work, and probably satisfy the people that want to use the Forgotten Realms as a setting.

On the other hand, if that kind of simple declaration can't be made. I want a top-to-bottom fully detailed 5th Edition FRCS complete with exhaustively detailed new maps, new monsters, new spells, new feats, new class kits, new magic items, etc.

The possibility that they intend piecemeal material and produce a comprehensive guide should be taken as something that could very well be in the cards. Consider:

What we have now is the bit-by-bit approach. They release a small amount of material, including a decent smattering of lore, on a quasi-regular timetable (like we see with Dragon Queen and Elemental Evil). Over time, the lore builds up, bit by bit, until all they have to do is assemble what they've already produced, take what Sire Greenwood has given them, fill in the gaps, and voila, instant FRCG. Granted, this may just be a hopeful byproduct of my 'new Realmslore'-starved brain, but the webz have produced more bizarre theories for other things that were much less likely and yet managed to materialize. I'm trying to keep an optimistic face on all of this.

As for maps, I would like everything on it, maybe even a separate 'Atlas of Toril'. Faerun, Kara-Tur, Zakhara, Anchorome, Katashaka, Osse - all of it. Even if we don't get comprehensive political information, natural geography should be something they could give us with relative (ymmv) ease.

I can dream, yes?

- OMH
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000