Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 ''The Realms will be updated''
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2015 :  23:57:06  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?442821-The-Realms-WILL-Be-Updated!

WotC's Chris Perkins and Mike Mearls both mentioned the possibility of Forgotten Realms updates on Twitter today. A chap called Montgomery Headstrom tweeted at both of them - to Perkins he said "I don't understand why you guys did the Sundering if you weren't going to update the Realms. Can you clarify that for me?" and the Mearls he said "if WOTC isn't interested in updating the realms would corporate allow kickstarter drive to let Ed Greenwood do it?" Both replied to his his comments, confirming that they do, in fact, intend to update the Realms. Thanks to Adrian for the scoop.

Montgomery: if WOTC isn't interested in updating the realms would corporate allow kickstarter drive to let Ed Greenwood do it?
Mike Mearls: who sez we aren't interested in updating it?

Montgomery: I don't understand why you guys did the Sundering if you weren't going to update the Realms. Can you clarify that for me?
Chris Perkins: The Sundering allowed us to bring back things that the setting had lost over the years. We ARE updating the Realms.

Well, nothing really new on a possible FRCS, since these ''updates'' may take any form, including the ''it will be something'' that Perkins referred in a previous interview.

Anyway, I thought that some of you might have wanted to read this, so I posted it here.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2015 :  00:28:52  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was hoping for more from an answer but honestly, I guess I'm lucky they even answered my questions in the first place.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2015 :  00:34:29  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update. Now we just need to worm out what form... a single source, or spread across multiple sources?

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2015 :  00:39:17  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would be the big question looming question Delwa
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2015 :  00:43:30  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, technically ToD and PotA are updating the realms
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2015 :  01:15:47  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

Well, technically ToD and PotA are updating the realms

Yes, that's why I said that this doesn't tell us much about their intentions. At this point I feel like it's rather pointless to ask questions about what kind of support the Realms will get (beyond novels/modules), as we'll only receive vague answers. I feel kinda resigned about that...

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2015 :  01:25:33  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbitfan

That would be the big question looming question Delwa

As long as the question doesn't loom so long I grow dizzy from looking up at it, I'll be ok. At the moment, I'm fighting a crick in my neck.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2015 :  01:29:52  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Until they announce a new Realms product, all they can give us are vague answers because they are prohibited from letting the cat out of the bag early.

Give it time guys, give it time.

Thankee Irennan for the update!

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2015 :  01:34:47  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tried. A weak attempt perhaps but I tried.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2015 :  01:36:07  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbitfan

I tried. A weak attempt perhaps but I tried.

Didn't seem weak to me. You asked the questions and got the answers. We wouldn't have the info without your effort, so...

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2015 :  01:36:21  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to hobbitfan as well, since the tweets to Mearls and Perkins are his.

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2015 :  04:12:54  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm siding with Jeremy again, in suggesting patience.

They still have an insane juggling act to do.

They have some customers going "4e was the worst constellation of eff-ups in the history of gaming. zomgwtfbbqlazors!" (I know they have those customers, because I am one.) Even if Hasbro lays off the entire WotC staff tonight, and sits on all D&D and FR copyrights (paying Ed for one novel a year or whatever they have to do, to keep the rights) --even in this worst case scenario-- they have fixed what 4e broke. For that, in spite of all my vitriol, I thank them. I still rage over the whole debacle happening in the first place, but I acknowledge that they gave us the best possible fix.

Well... kinda. The problem is that there are other camps of customers. Like, say, those who prefer the 4e Realms over the 3e Realms. For those folks, it's the Sundering that's the worst thing to happen in the history of gaming. Or maybe they aren't so dramatic, but I'm guessing some of them are.

So WotC has a dilemma. Now that they've got my camp back... how do they get the other camps back... while still hanging onto mine? Their goal, after all, is an incarnation of the Realms that appeals to all Realms fans. They shot themselves in the foot by creating a version of the Realms which is far removed from previous versions... and now they have to deal with it.

And, just when they have all this scrambling to do, it appears (just looking at things from the outside) that they're down to a skeleton crew and a greatly reduced budget. And they still have to keep M:TG going. Not exactly an advantageous position.

However, that worst case scenario is unlikely. I'm sure Hasbro would rather play with its portfolio and generate some revenue rather than sit on its thumbs. And as much as I'd like to see official statements coming from someone who's more passionate about the Realms specifically, I respect their commitment to D&D. Lesser companies might have shut their doors and gone into hiding after 4e. Not these folks. I'm glad to see them keep on trying.

And given what we've seen in the past, the choice between a rushed 5e FRCS and a well-considered product line is not a difficult choice, in my mind. They should take all the time they need.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2015 :  11:05:14  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

I'm siding with Jeremy again, in suggesting patience.

They still have an insane juggling act to do.

They have some customers going "4e was the worst constellation of eff-ups in the history of gaming. zomgwtfbbqlazors!" (I know they have those customers, because I am one.) Even if Hasbro lays off the entire WotC staff tonight, and sits on all D&D and FR copyrights (paying Ed for one novel a year or whatever they have to do, to keep the rights) --even in this worst case scenario-- they have fixed what 4e broke. For that, in spite of all my vitriol, I thank them. I still rage over the whole debacle happening in the first place, but I acknowledge that they gave us the best possible fix.

Well... kinda. The problem is that there are other camps of customers. Like, say, those who prefer the 4e Realms over the 3e Realms. For those folks, it's the Sundering that's the worst thing to happen in the history of gaming. Or maybe they aren't so dramatic, but I'm guessing some of them are.

So WotC has a dilemma. Now that they've got my camp back... how do they get the other camps back... while still hanging onto mine? Their goal, after all, is an incarnation of the Realms that appeals to all Realms fans. They shot themselves in the foot by creating a version of the Realms which is far removed from previous versions... and now they have to deal with it.

And, just when they have all this scrambling to do, it appears (just looking at things from the outside) that they're down to a skeleton crew and a greatly reduced budget. And they still have to keep M:TG going. Not exactly an advantageous position.

However, that worst case scenario is unlikely. I'm sure Hasbro would rather play with its portfolio and generate some revenue rather than sit on its thumbs. And as much as I'd like to see official statements coming from someone who's more passionate about the Realms specifically, I respect their commitment to D&D. Lesser companies might have shut their doors and gone into hiding after 4e. Not these folks. I'm glad to see them keep on trying.

And given what we've seen in the past, the choice between a rushed 5e FRCS and a well-considered product line is not a difficult choice, in my mind. They should take all the time they need.

Why all the sympathy and excuses for Wizards?

It's there own fault for going at this edition with such a small team. They should have known better to be honest. Personally, I don't think their intention was to do much at all, but I would say the amount of complaints have actually forced them to reconsider, not to mention the fact that maybe the sales of their AP'S aren't what they thought they would be.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2015 :  13:06:14  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are updating the Realms. It's called Tyranny of Dragons, Princes of Elemental Evil, etc. etc.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2015 :  14:27:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

To me, the better question is, why all the hostility for WotC? We bitch about what they tell us, we bitch about what they don't tell us, we bitch because of assumptions we make based on vague statements, and we bitch because of decisions based on things we are not privy to.

Being willing to give someone a chance is not showing sympathy and providing excuses.

quote:

It's there own fault for going at this edition with such a small team. They should have known better to be honest.

And do you have proof that these decisions were entirely internal to WotC and had no outside influences -- namely, from Hasbro? Do you have any proof at all that they were utterly unaware of the fact that a small staff can only accomplish so much?

quote:

Personally, I don't think their intention was to do much at all, but I would say the amount of complaints have actually forced them to reconsider, not to mention the fact that maybe the sales of their AP'S aren't what they thought they would be.

Yeah, the fact that they've said since the beginning that they were going to try to do things right this time -- that's clear proof of their intentions otherwise.

I am as willing as the next person to bash WotC or any other company for mistakes that they have made. I have personally come under a lot of fire, including blatant personal attacks, some from people still active here, for my sometimes negative opinions on things that they have done. You will find few people who disliked the 4E ruleset more than I, and fewer still who disliked what they did to the Realms during that timeframe.

However, I also believe in not acting without all of the information, and in giving credit where credit is due. WotC has said they want to make things right. WotC has taken steps in that direction. I'm not going to bitch about them not doing it all at once, especially at the same time that I'm pointing out that their small staff makes that difficult.

In other words, I'm going to give them a chance, and I'm not going to attack them without definitive reason to do so.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2015 :  17:13:50  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

They are updating the Realms. It's called Tyranny of Dragons, Princes of Elemental Evil, etc. etc.

-- George Krashos

Updating is not quite the word I would use in this context

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2015 :  02:29:25  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Because I can try to get into other people's heads, in an effort to understand them when they're not being forthcoming about what they're thinking. This "putting myself in their shoes" thing is related to roleplaying, and I strongly believe that it's something every one of us should excel in.

That being said, I have more animosity and disgust toward the 4e Realms than anyone, and I still hold that either (A) it was someone's intent to destroy the Realms, or (B) someone was so braindead that the rocks in my rain gutter are geniuses in comparison. I don't see a C that leaves room for that person being competent and benevolent.

So... sympathy? Excuses? No. I'm just tired of the poorly aimed criticism. They're not stupid or incompetent for taking things slow. Publishing a flood of books while they're in literal or figurative debt might be stupid, but looking for more feedback and spending more time in playtesting... those are actually good calls. (I will call them stupid for not doing all of this before releasing the 3e and 4e storylines, but I'm glad they're doing it now.)

WotC seems to be making better choices now with regard to the FR setting -- better for me, that is, but it should make sense that this means I have less to actively criticize them for.

quote:

It's there own fault for going at this edition with such a small team. They should have known better to be honest. Personally, I don't think their intention was to do much at all, but I would say the amount of complaints have actually forced them to reconsider, not to mention the fact that maybe the sales of their AP'S aren't what they thought they would be.

Well, yes and no. It's not WotC's fault that they tackled 5e with a skeleton crew. They cranked the core rules out as best they could with the people they could spare for it, and then they outsourced adventure paths for it. Given the resources they had, they did the best they could, and I recognize that and appreciate it. It is WotC's fault that they're in this mess: absolutely yes. The 4e changes to the Realms are barely fit to be used as toilet paper. That's definitely somebody's fault, and I hope those responsible have been permanently removed from WotC's future endeavors. But again, given the situation, I'm willing to believe that WotC is doing the best it can now... you can believe whatever ya like, but I see no evidence that they're deliberately screwing the Realms over in this edition.

What do you think their plan was? If they were planning to sit on their thumbs after the Sundering, why would they go through the hassle of publishing the Sundering in the first place? If they care so little about the story, why not save all the time and expense of publishing by simply saying (on wizards.com because that's free) "hey, the Spellplague unhappens. Everything's back to normal. Have fun."

So they must care, to some extent, right? They obviously want to do something with the Realms... because it's cheaper and easier (ie more profitable) to do nothing, so anything at all demonstrates that they have some kind of plan.

What you're reading as sympathy and excuses is just me saying (1) it's clear that they have some kind of plan/hope for the Realms in the new edition, (2) fixing the Spellplague tells me that they're on a correct path rather than an incorrect one, and (3) the sorta "timid" release of products suggests that they're trying to be more economically smart and/or they are extensively playtesting new Realms material in spite of there being no public playtest like the one they had for the core rules.

I still rage like an avatar of Malar over the Spellplague and the return of Shade and the Time of Troubles, but I'm chillin with Eldath when it comes to 5e.

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2015 :  02:41:50  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

We bitch about what they tell us, we bitch about what they don't tell us, we bitch because of assumptions we make based on vague statements, and we bitch because of decisions based on things we are not privy to.

However, I also believe in not acting without all of the information, and in giving credit where credit is due. WotC has said they want to make things right. WotC has taken steps in that direction. I'm not going to bitch about them not doing it all at once, especially at the same time that I'm pointing out that their small staff makes that difficult.

+10. Perspective is everything. For all of us who can't prove omniscience, we're just theorycrafting and it might make all the sense in the world to us but at some point we need to acknowledge that we don't really know what's going on... or else we belong in the looney bin.
Go to Top of Page

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2015 :  03:09:49  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Part of the problem is us just not knowing much at all. Without real information, from our perspective outisde looking in there's not a whole lot of difference between a measured approach and other less hopefull guesses.
I'd like to think they know what they are doing but...4E events give me pause.
The fat that they can't or won't give a straight answer on campaign settings and future releases is suspicious.
Not damning...just suspicious.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2015 :  03:54:01  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm gonna head into dangerous devils-advocate territory again. No author wants to give spoilers on their own work... even after it's published but especially beforehand. They want you to read it. Sure, they want you to buy it because they want to put spaghetti on the table, but they also hope to hear that you like it. For an author, there's no bigger high-five than someone loving something you wrote enough to go looking for anything else you might have written. For the feels, not for the paycheck. People who are greedy go into business, not writing.

So the fact that they're not sharing their strategy with us doesn't mean they don't know what they're doing. They want us to read the story, and they want to build up some anticipation.

They were undoubtedly hoping that the feedback on the adventure paths would be overwhelmingly positive. That would make them look good to Hasbro, and it's probably impossible to overstate the importance of looking good to Hasbro right now.

I dunno what WotC's actual "approval rating" looks like, but I'm sure the handful of us here aren't the only ones complaining... and not just complaining about not getting a 5e FRCS yet, but also complaining about the adventure paths we've seen so far and especially the fact that that seems to be their focus right now. We're complaining about what we understand of their strategy.

It's possible that it's making someone sweat a bit. We're complaining about what they're not doing, but we're also complaining about what they are doing. It's always been that way, but it might be a big deal now specifically because (1) they were never listening before, and (2) everyone is more suspicious of them, and more doubtful of their ability to write anything good, after 4e.

It's enough to make a guy sit on his thumbs and waste time trying to figure out how to please people.

So... ultimately... complaining is just giving us more to complain about.
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2015 :  02:43:18  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm gonna head into dangerous devils-advocate territory again. No author wants to give spoilers on their own work... even after it's published but especially beforehand. [snip]
It's enough to make a guy sit on his thumbs and waste time trying to figure out how to please people.

Have you heard of George R.R. Martin? I wouldn't cast with such a huge brush as "no author" because there are many authors who share bits of upcoming novels or works, just like movies have evolving trailers (which are poorly named since they come before a movie... I digress)

quote:
So... ultimately... complaining is just giving us more to complain about.

I couldn't agree more. I agree with Wooly that WOTC is damned if it does and damned if it doesn't. I would challenge Wooly for the title of "I hate 4E Realms the Most," but I haven't found anything to hate about the Realms in 5E - just nothing to love about them, yet.

But back to that original quote -

TSR used to advertise products months or even a year before a product was released. I remember reading about the Maztica trilogy in the back of some of the other paperback trades for the Realms of the time. It would take less than a day to put together a PR announcement that they were releasing a 5E FRCG "coming in 2016" or whatever - they don't even need real artwork.

For those that actively tweet, perhaps try asking Chris Perkins or Mike Mearls when we're getting the FRCG for 5E specifically. If they don't answer, that's an answer. If they say "sometime soon" or "we're working on it," that's an answer. If they say, "Watch GENCon to hear our plans for the Realms," that's an answer. Unlike Ed, they're not bound by NDAs. They don't need to give a specific date, but we cannot act like it is unprecedented for a company to have a "coming soon" announcement months or years before a product ships.

And for those that use Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/EdsRealms

Asking is better than bitching, IMHO.

Kudos to Irennan for asking.

Azuth
The First Magister
"Offense can never be given; it can only be taken."

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2015 :  06:51:03  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
btw: the reason why they may not be telling us anything is to hopefully not have another issue with 5e like 4e did before its release.

remember the richard baker must be stopped lines?? yeah alot of us said it before 4e realms showed up.

do we really want to see that happen again??

no, cant say I do

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2015 :  13:48:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, 4e promised the world and fell way short.

So I think this time out, they are going the other way - promise them nothing, and then anything we give them will be like a glass of water to a man crawling across the desert.

I think they may be taking them "lets let them build anticipation' thing a bit TOO far, though...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Mr Dark
Seeker

50 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2015 :  17:24:57  Show Profile Send Mr Dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm divided on whether or not I will get it if it comes out. On one hand new material is always welcome. On the other I hated the 4e Realms and my 5e campaign is set in the 1370s with no intention of using the Spellplague at all.

If they keep the promise of being able to play in any era I will be more apt to buy in. Until then I am content to use what I have.

Canon stops where the table begins.
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2015 :  22:56:14  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Dark

I'm divided on whether or not I will get it if it comes out. On one hand new material is always welcome. On the other I hated the 4e Realms and my 5e campaign is set in the 1370s with no intention of using the Spellplague at all.

If they keep the promise of being able to play in any era I will be more apt to buy in. Until then I am content to use what I have.

Well, the 4E sourcebooks have the unique trait of being the only D&D books I ever returned after purchase. My players and I are still happily playing 3E and won't switch to 5E until they release an FRCG. The fact that Ed is going so above and beyond his normal secrecy both here and at frsecretariat.com (IMHO) show he is likely fed up with the lack of anything from WOTC in an "official" format.

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

Baptor
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2015 :  00:23:31  Show Profile  Visit Baptor's Homepage Send Baptor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

remember the richard baker must be stopped lines?? yeah alot of us said it before 4e realms showed up.

Sorry for the naivete, but I searched and searched to find out what the "Richard Baker must be stopped!" movement was all about. Was he blamed for the Spellplague or something?

Jesus said, "I am the Ressurection and the Life. Anyone who believes in Me will live even if he dies, and those who live and believe in Me will never die. Do you believe this?"
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2015 :  01:33:05  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baptor

quote:

Sorry for the naivete, but I searched and searched to find out what the "Richard Baker must be stopped!" movement was all about. Was he blamed for the Spellplague or something?

Yes.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2015 :  01:44:37  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been wondering to myself whether it's possible to do a "generic" FRCS. A book that doesn't focus on a temporal Realms, but on a detailed Realms at a level that is applicable to all eras of play. A description of kingdoms/places that gives you a good understanding of the location with some crunch in terms of 'regional feats', a list of deities that provides info on the religion/rites rather than the deity itself, a new host of 'thumbnail' NPCs like in the 1987 box, a discussion on magic in all its forms - again without any solid links to the 5E rules, a last 10 years timeline with a current year of detailed events, some new spells and magic items with attached realmslore and a solid, embedded in the lore discussion on the the big cataclysms of the gaming Realms - the ToT, the Spellplague, and the Sundering and what happened and why (Ed and Eric Boyd should get this) and I reckon you'd have something the fans might be interested in buying.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2015 :  02:43:52  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I've been wondering to myself whether it's possible to do a "generic" FRCS. A book that doesn't focus on a temporal Realms, but on a detailed Realms at a level that is applicable to all eras of play. A description of kingdoms/places that gives you a good understanding of the location with some crunch in terms of 'regional feats', a list of deities that provides info on the religion/rites rather than the deity itself, a new host of 'thumbnail' NPCs like in the 1987 box, a discussion on magic in all its forms - again without any solid links to the 5E rules, a last 10 years timeline with a current year of detailed events, some new spells and magic items with attached realmslore and a solid, embedded in the lore discussion on the the big cataclysms of the gaming Realms - the ToT, the Spellplague, and the Sundering and what happened and why (Ed and Eric Boyd should get this) and I reckon you'd have something the fans might be interested in buying.

-- George Krashos

I can't imagine WOTC letting anything get published that doesn't discuss and/or focus on their latest edition's rules. Can you imagine trying to describe Elminster in 5E HD/AC and also 2E with negative AC and THAC0? I like the idea, but I don't see Hasbo/Wizards doing it. Color me pessimistic on this one.

Lord of All Spells

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2015 :  03:50:02  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

that and everything else that went wrong with the $e realms.

thing is though, the comment was made mostly because he was the one who brought it to us, not the one who made the decisions.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2015 :  04:02:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

that and everything else that went wrong with the $e realms.

thing is though, the comment was made mostly because he was the one who brought it to us, not the one who made the decisions.

I don't know about the 4E Realms, but I find much fault with some of the decisions he made for the 3E Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000