Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Spellstorm - a mini review (spoilery)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2015 :  22:51:23  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've just finished Spellstorm, Ed's first post-Sundering novel, courtesy of Net Galley. Overall, I really enjoyed it, and would recommend it to Realms fans when it comes out in print in early June:

http://www.amazon.com/Spellstorm-Forgotten-Realms-Ed-Greenwood/dp/0786965711

In some ways, it's a vintage Realms novel - set in Cormyr, so the Purple Dragons and Wizards of War are present & correct, and some of Ed's favourite characters (El, Mirt & others) play central roles. But in other ways, it's quite unique:

Imagine a game of Cluedo, or better yet, an Agatha Christie novel set in Cormyr; Mirt as Hercule Poirot? Elminster as Miss Marple? The story is mostly set in a large, dilapidated noble's mansion, with a collection of the most villainous and/or powerful archmages of the Realms shut inside, assembled like moths to a flame by the attraction & intrigue of the most powerful spell in the Realms. Oh, and their awesome magical powers are somewhat unreliable, so they must rely on their wits, biting tongues, sharp daggers (and fingernails!) and hapless hireswords to survive & compete.

As you can probably tell, it follows some Agatha Christie conventions - imagine a collection of mysterious people, each with their own motivation, drawn together for the reading of a will, unable to leave the house because of a storm etc outside.

Also, there is a very intriguing tidbit, which will (I think) be of interest to fans of one of the gods who previously got killed off. The bit of text, and my interpretation, is spoilered below; if you want to see it, highlight the following area:
quote:
.....the deity that was Mystra......with other deities, or what remained of them, like Eilistraee
END QUOTE
It's interesting that Ed chose to put this in the novel; Eilistraee has nothing to do with the story, and it confirms previous rumours to the effect that Eilistraee survived, at least in some diminished form.

Edited by - BenN on 13 Apr 2015 22:54:33

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2015 :  22:59:05  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenN

I've just finished Spellstorm, Ed's first post-Sundering novel, courtesy of Net Galley. Overall, I really enjoyed it, and would recommend it to Realms fans when it comes out in print in early June:

http://www.amazon.com/Spellstorm-Forgotten-Realms-Ed-Greenwood/dp/0786965711

In some ways, it's a vintage Realms novel - set in Cormyr, so the Purple Dragons and Wizards of War are present & correct, and some of Ed's favourite characters (El, Mirt & others) play central roles. But in other ways, it's quite unique:

Imagine a game of Cluedo, or better yet, an Agatha Christie novel set in Cormyr; Mirt as Hercule Poirot? Elminster as Miss Marple? The story is mostly set in a large, dilapidated noble's mansion, with a collection of the most villainous and/or powerful archmages of the Realms shut inside, assembled like moths to a flame by the attraction & intrigue of the most powerful spell in the Realms. Oh, and their awesome magical powers are somewhat unreliable, so they must rely on their wits, biting tongues, sharp daggers (and fingernails!) and hapless hireswords to survive & compete.

As you can probably tell, it follows some Agatha Christie conventions - imagine a collection of mysterious people, each with their own motivation, drawn together for the reading of a will, unable to leave the house because of a storm etc outside.

Also, there is a very intriguing tidbit, which will (I think) be of interest to fans of one of the gods who previously got killed off. The bit of text, and my interpretation, is spoilered below; if you want to see it, highlight the following area:
quote:
.....the deity that was Mystra......with other deities, or what remained of them, like Eilistraee
END QUOTE
It's interesting that Ed chose to put this in the novel; Eilistraee has nothing to do with the story, and it confirms previous rumours to the effect that Eilistraee survived, at least in some diminished form.

OMG! Could you give me the context of that statement (or its entirety)? I'm so damn excited about this, I just need to know more.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2015 :  23:13:29  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, the complete paragraph is as follows (highlight to see):
quote:
'Twas no easy thing, being the goddess of magic. A different deity than the rest, in a world so steeped in the Art, a divinity that had to care more for mortals, or embrace utter tyranny. And at the same time share the Weave - the Weave that was Mystra, as well as being so much more - with other deities, or what remained of them, like Eilistraee, and -

So it's about Mystra, but I think it's telling that Ed chose to insert this mention of Eilistraee; why would he do this, other than to signal that she survived? That's my reading of the tea-leaves, anyway,
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2015 :  23:16:58  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, what period of time does the phrase refer to (and what does the '' 0twas no easy thing'' refers to, if you can share)? if it is post Mystra's return and restoration of the Weave, then by all purposes it would mean that Eilistraee lives, and that would be freaking awesome...

Also, big thanks for sharing.

Edited by - Irennan on 13 Apr 2015 23:27:07
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2015 :  23:27:02  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Oh, what period of time does the phrase refer to? if it is post Mystra's return and restoration of the Weave, then by all purposes it would mean that Eilistraee lives, and that would be freaking awesome...

My take is that it's referring to the present day. So yeah, awesome......
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2015 :  23:27:57  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Oh, what period of time does the phrase refer to? if it is post Mystra's return and restoration of the Weave, then by all purposes it would mean that Eilistraee lives, and that would be freaking awesome...

My take is that it's referring to the present day. So yeah, awesome......

Hm, what does the '' 'twas no easy thing '' refer to? It might help.

Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2015 :  23:33:14  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hm, what does the '' 'twas no easy thing '' refer to?

Being the goddess of magic.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2015 :  23:36:10  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I see, but I meant -if you can share it- what's the general context of that statement? For example, is it an observation caused by some event in the book? This might help to frame ''the having to share the Weave with other deities, like Eilistraee'' in a given period of time. I'm bringing this to Ed, to see if he can share more. And thanks again for the info.

Edited by - Irennan on 13 Apr 2015 23:36:58
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2015 :  23:39:53  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's Elminster's inner voice, thinking about the current manifestation of Mystra. It is not connected with any event in the book. Which, IMHO, makes it all the more striking......
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2015 :  23:42:19  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, so he's thinking about the current manifestation of Mystra. If so, that would mean that Eilistraee is definitely alive

Edited by - Irennan on 13 Apr 2015 23:46:42
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2015 :  23:44:50  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might want to spoiler-hide that......
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2015 :  23:47:18  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You might want to spoiler-hide that......

Done, forgot about that before, sorry.

Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2015 :  00:34:05  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Anyway, this is kinda icing on the cake. The book itself is a fun, good read, further develops the relationships between several of Ed's main characters, and is done in a way which should bring a smile to the faces of Agatha Christie fans.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2015 :  00:44:09  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yes, sorry if I made it look like the rest of the book didn't matter, but Eilistraee means a lot to me, and I was carried away by the joy for the news about her (and by wanting to be certain that it referred to the ''present'').

Edited by - Irennan on 14 Apr 2015 00:52:24
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2015 :  06:24:27  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a great book. Ed definitely hasn't lost his touch. Continuously exciting throughout with the humor and wit that is classic Ed/El. No spoilers until the book is released to the public. But if you are excited for this novel you won't be disappointed. Thank you Mr Greenwood.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2015 :  03:08:35  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed's reference to XXX in a book where he "didn't need to" is standard fare. In his last 10 or so novels he's taken the opportunity to address little and large issues that have been raised by the fanbase over many years. The inclusions have been subtle in the main, but are there for those who look hard and read deep. Enjoy spotting them when you do.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2015 :  22:39:04  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished it today. It was excellent. I caught the part yall are mentioning, but I glossed over it. While I do love that particular character, it's a given that they were bringing her back, so I didn't really get excited about it. What excited me was the underlying mystery, and trying to figure out who would survive. There is 1 character whose fate surprised me, and another whose development surprised me. As I always enjoy being surprised, this enhanced my reading experience. I also really enjoyed the depiction of events from The Herald. I'm a lot more comfortable with the way that novel ended now, and I found the extra insight into the Weave very intriguing. All in all, I thought it stood up there with Ed's best work.
Go to Top of Page

Ryld
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2015 :  11:17:00  Show Profile Send Ryld a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Post Sundering, Eilistraee is alive once again and she is one of the deities with whom the returned Mystra is currently sharing the Weave [21]. She and her brother Vhaeraun are separate again and mortals are aware of her reappearence, but her power, conditions and what she is currently up to are not clear yet[22]. There are also reports of mortal worshippers personally meeting manifestations of and avatars of Eilistraee[23]
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2015 :  15:23:36  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ryld

Post Sundering, Eilistraee is alive once again and she is one of the deities with whom the returned Mystra is currently sharing the Weave [21]. She and her brother Vhaeraun are separate again and mortals are aware of her reappearence, but her power, conditions and what she is currently up to are not clear yet[22]. There are also reports of mortal worshippers personally meeting manifestations of and avatars of Eilistraee[23]

I... I honestly don't know what to say about this. I don't think there are any words to express how happy I am right now. This is the best news I've ever heard!

Edited by - Drustan Dwnhaedan on 22 Apr 2015 15:24:51
Go to Top of Page

fish321
Acolyte

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2015 :  16:11:08  Show Profile Send fish321 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Instead of starting a whole new thread I'll just put the short non spoiler review here.

Ed Greenwood has been placing Elminster into challenging situations for years and in Spellstorm the Sage of Shadowdale must be host, peacemaker, guardian, detective and warrior. Locked into a mansion with various arrogant archmages having only a fat, old adventurer, a former lady lord and a ghostly princess as allies it will take every bit of devious intelligence Old Weirdbeard has to bring them through the challenges his guests present. Mystra returning has clearly revived Elminsters spirit and though Greenwood still has him playing the ancient world weary sage there is a smirk behind his words and you get the feeling that El is laughing on the inside. Familiar faces round out the cast of characters and much like Salvatore, the other long time realms author, Greenwood seems to relish the opportunity to bring back some of the major players in his earlier novels. Spellstorm reads like a game of Clue with a fantasy twist. This mystery isn't simply solved by figuring out it was colonel mustard in the library with the lead pipe, it is a mystery that seems to have a different solution depending on the chapter you are reading. With magic unreliable even the sage seems unable to pin down the culprits and it's great fun as a reader to try and put together the pieces. Even with magic wild we have spells and weave work, poison and swordplay, intrigue and hints at the troubles the realms will be facing in the future. While not an adventure novel in the purest sense this novel is an adventure in miniature. The battles and intrigue may be taking place within a small area but the implications are huge. El is put into an impossible situation with an impossible goal with Mirt, Myrmeen and the ghost of Allusair on his side facing off against great archmages such as Manshoon, Shaaan and Malchor. With a knowing smile here, an implication that he knows more than he does there El does all he can to see to his goddesses wishes. It's a rumbling mystery novel that is a joy to read and though there are few looks into the greater happenings of the realms it hits the mark perfectly in bringing El into the new setting.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2015 :  01:54:50  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did you find out who Mirt is the chosen of?
Go to Top of Page

jmason107
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2015 :  01:56:27  Show Profile Send jmason107 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am definitely going to have to get this! It sounds pretty freaking awesome! Nice to see that Malchor Harpell survived the Spellplague (I figured he did). I wonder how much more powerful he has grown. I remember first reading of him in The Halfling's Gem when he aided Drizzt and Wulfgar and hooked up Drizzt with Twinkle. I'm sure he would be happy to know that Drizzt still has the Elven blade, actually I'm sure he does since all of the COTH visited Longsaddle and stayed with his kin in their mansion. Anyway Spellstorm seems like it's one of those must read books so I'm getting it when it comes out. I wish I could be a reviewer like some of you and get these works early....oh well I can be patient and wait! The blurb on Amazon says an Archmage is killed, I wonder who it is, and if any more are also killed by the end of the novel. Of course a character dying, especially an Archmage doesn't mean it's permanent. Some of the characters have supposedly been killed a few times and somehow keep coming back, especially the undead ones lol. It almost takes a god to truly kill them beyond them coming back. That's my two-cents. :)

V/R,

JMason
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2015 :  02:20:17  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

Did you find out who Mirt is the chosen of?

Whichever god has the domains of belching, food stains, goosing barmaids & fighting dirty, I guess!
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2015 :  02:41:50  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha, that could be alot of Gods.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2015 :  21:03:41  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jmason107

I am definitely going to have to get this! It sounds pretty freaking awesome! Nice to see that Malchor Harpell survived the Spellplague (I figured he did). I wonder how much more powerful he has grown. I remember first reading of him in The Halfling's Gem when he aided Drizzt and Wulfgar and hooked up Drizzt with Twinkle. I'm sure he would be happy to know that Drizzt still has the Elven blade, actually I'm sure he does since all of the COTH visited Longsaddle and stayed with his kin in their mansion. Anyway Spellstorm seems like it's one of those must read books so I'm getting it when it comes out. I wish I could be a reviewer like some of you and get these works early....oh well I can be patient and wait! The blurb on Amazon says an Archmage is killed, I wonder who it is, and if any more are also killed by the end of the novel. Of course a character dying, especially an Archmage doesn't mean it's permanent. Some of the characters have supposedly been killed a few times and somehow keep coming back, especially the undead ones lol. It almost takes a god to truly kill them beyond them coming back. That's my two-cents. :)

Rofl. Malchor probably never visits home....EVER. He is the one normal mage to come out of the nuthouse :)
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2015 :  22:58:22  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished the book a few minutes ago. It was decent enough. There was a lot intrigue, but I felt the result was anticlimactic, and a lot of the scenes were mainly dialogue, with characters describing what was going on, rather than have readers experience it for themselves. There was good build-up, but I felt it could be have been presented better. Still, it was good enough as a whole, and I enjoyed reading it. Though I don't really read mystery novels, I like a good mystery in my fantasy novels.

*spoilers*

In regards to the Eilistraee passage, now that I have read it in context, I am excited, like everyone else, to see that Eilistraee is alive, but I am holding some reservations. "And at the same time share the Weave - the Weave that was Mystra, as well as being so much more - with other deities, or what remained of them, like Eilistraee," seems to me that Eilistraee, while alive, is not strong enough to be active. She is currently a part of the Weave, and perhaps using it to regain her strength/powers. To me "or what remained of them, like Eilistraee", sounds as though the Weave contains the remains of Eilistraee. So, she is not dead, but is unable to be a true goddess yet. I could be wrong (and hope I am), but that was my interpretation of the text. Still, I am glad Ed shared this tidbit with us, and it gives me hope that E isn't completely gone, and will return.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2015 :  23:04:47  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SPOILERS

Ed has already clarified on the passage (here: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19841&whichpage=13#468322) Eilistraee (as well as Vhaeraun) has already manifested to her followers through avatar, she is back (and this is canon, as all that Ed says is canon. THO explained that multiple times, here: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17833&whichpage=1#422069 for example). Mystra is sharing the Weave with Eilistraee, among others, it's not like the Weave contains Eilistraee. Also, ''what remained of them'' doesn't necessarily include Eilistraee, and if it did it would simply mean that she is not as powerful as before.

Edited by - Irennan on 14 Jun 2015 23:17:06
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2015 :  23:21:21  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right, I commented on that, but as I said, my interpretation of that passage is that Eilistraee is using the Weave to regain her strength, because of the way the passage is written. "What remained of them, like Eilistraee", suggests that it does include Eilistraee. Ed said here on Candlekeep that mortals followers have seen manifestations of V and E, which is awesome, but my excitement is still tempered. Am I happy? Of course, but it also makes me wonder. My hope is that Ed (or another author) reveals more, but we shall see.n

I suspected Vhaeraun, and thus likely his sister was alive, because in The Adversay, there was the Chosen drow Phalar, and though it was never explicitly stated, it was obvious he was a Chosen of Vhaeraun. I am not contesting that Eilistraee is alive, but that passage makes me think she is weak and "not whole" yet, though perhaps that isn't true, since she has to have enough strength to send manifestations. I am grateful to see her name in the the newest Realms novel, but all it really tells me is "Eilistraee exists". Which, I supposes, is better than nothing.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2015 :  23:26:51  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Eilistraee is strong enough to send avatar, then she must be at least a demigoddess, which would prove you right, as that would mean that she is not whole yet (since she used to be a step above that). Ed also said, quite explicitly, that both Eilistraee and her brother are ''back''.

The passage is ''with other deities, or what remained of them, like Eilistraee''. As I read it means that there is a group of deities with whom Mystra is currently sharing the Weave, that some of them are diminished (or, as you put it, not whole) and that Eilistraee is an example of deities that belong to this group, but it doesn't specify if she is diminished or not.

Combining the info in both the passage and in Ed's explanation of it, then there are only 2 possibilities:

1)Eilistraee belongs to the diminished/''not whole'' group of deities sharing the Weave, but she can make and send avatars, and -since her former status was that of ''lesser power''- that leaves only 1 option open: she is an exarch/demigoddess.

2)Eilistraee doesn't belong to the diminished/''not whole'' group of deities sharing the Weave, so she could be any divine rank (most likely her former ''lesser goddess'' rank).

Of course, I too hope to see more info about her in future novels, but, since it is a given that the Sundering restored her, I'd like to have clarification on what happened at the end of the LP books.

Edited by - Irennan on 15 Jun 2015 00:14:27
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2015 :  00:36:26  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regardless of how that passage can be interpreted, all that really matters (to me, at least) is that Eilistraee is back. Whether she's a demigoddess, or a lesser goddess, or possibly something else entirely, I'm just happy that Ed has confirmed her return to the Realms.
It's also going to make things in an ongoing Realms fanfic of mine... well, let's say it'll be getting very interesting, to say the least.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2015 :  01:20:36  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drustan Dwnhaedan

Regardless of how that passage can be interpreted, all that really matters (to me, at least) is that Eilistraee is back. Whether she's a demigoddess, or a lesser goddess, or possibly something else entirely, I'm just happy that Ed has confirmed her return to the Realms.
It's also going to make things in an ongoing Realms fanfic of mine... well, let's say it'll be getting very interesting, to say the least.

I don't care about Eilistraee's power either, but it matters to whatever kind of entity she is, she still is a drow (or one of the transformed drow, even if I'd prefer not). It also matters to me that the events in LP get some kind of explanation, because they are really messy.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000