Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Troy Denning - Throne of the Dead
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

fish321
Acolyte

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2015 :  03:14:02  Show Profile Send fish321 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Came across this while looking through upcoming releases on edelweis. I recall a few threads asking about upcoming novels so I thought this may be of interest to you realms fans.
http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/ProductDetailPage.aspx?sequence=455&group=catalog&mailingID=0&mailingGroupID=0&catalogID=2267269&org=CXAL&sku=0786965746

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2015 :  03:22:57  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome, I usually enjoy Troy's books.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

fish321
Acolyte

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2015 :  03:31:06  Show Profile Send fish321 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems like after Spellstorm, which was great and I will be posting a review when we are closer to release, there are 3 more novels coming out this year. In order I see Salvatore's next novel Archmage, Erin Evans has Ashes of the Tyrant coming out and Troy Denning's novel which I linked above. While there aren't a lot of different authors working for WotC right now which I've seen any number of complaints about it does seem like the novels are being released at a steady pace. We got 5 or 6 novels in the sundering and since then another from Ed Greenwood, 3 from Salvatore with a 4th coming, 1 from Erin Evans with another coming and 1 coming from Troy Denning. If they could get things worked out with Kemp and perhaps a couple of people like Richard Lee Byers and Elaine Cunningham there would be a steady stream of novels coming out by talented authors. Every author I've mentioned there has written quality novels repeatedly and to have them driving the story lines of the realms in the future would have me sleeping outside of bookstores waiting for release days. Metaphorically. I've got a Kindle.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2015 :  04:26:32  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fish321

It seems like after Spellstorm, which was great and I will be posting a review when we are closer to release, there are 3 more novels coming out this year. In order I see Salvatore's next novel Archmage, Erin Evans has Ashes of the Tyrant coming out and Troy Denning's novel which I linked above. While there aren't a lot of different authors working for WotC right now which I've seen any number of complaints about it does seem like the novels are being released at a steady pace. We got 5 or 6 novels in the sundering and since then another from Ed Greenwood, 3 from Salvatore with a 4th coming, 1 from Erin Evans with another coming and 1 coming from Troy Denning. If they could get things worked out with Kemp and perhaps a couple of people like Richard Lee Byers and Elaine Cunningham there would be a steady stream of novels coming out by talented authors. Every author I've mentioned there has written quality novels repeatedly and to have them driving the story lines of the realms in the future would have me sleeping outside of bookstores waiting for release days. Metaphorically. I've got a Kindle.

Give me 6-8 novels a year and I'll grudgingly be sated. BUT, I don't really want to see those 6-8 novels be about the same group of characters year in and year out. Right now it's Drizzt & Crew, Elminster & Crew, The Tieflings & Crew, and now Kleef the paladin. There's nothing wrong with those characters, but I always loved the flavor of getting random stories here and there. Plus I miss always having a Realms novel around to pick up and read.
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2015 :  04:30:29  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's great news!

I really liked The Sentinel, so I'm glad that there will be a follow-up. Among Troy's other work, I also loved the Return of the Archwizards trilogy.

Keep 'em coming!
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2015 :  04:42:30  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenN

That's great news!

I really liked The Sentinel, so I'm glad that there will be a follow-up. Among Troy's other work, I also loved the Return of the Archwizards trilogy.

Keep 'em coming!

Same here. I want to see follow-up on that novel.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

fish321
Acolyte

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2015 :  05:42:45  Show Profile Send fish321 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

quote:

Give me 6-8 novels a year and I'll grudgingly be sated. BUT, I don't really want to see those 6-8 novels be about the same group of characters year in and year out. Right now it's Drizzt & Crew, Elminster & Crew, The Tieflings & Crew, and now Kleef the paladin. There's nothing wrong with those characters, but I always loved the flavor of getting random stories here and there. Plus I miss always having a Realms novel around to pick up and read.

I think the best way for them to handle it is to build from this point on. Get a solid core, which it seems at the moment consists of these 4 authors, then parlay their success into bringing in other authors for the one shot novels. The random authors writing novels won't drive the world's process but it can add spice to it. It seems to me that the first step needs to be exactly what they're doing right now until they have built a solid base to replace what was eroded with the spell plague era
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2015 :  18:15:17  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would be nice if besides novels we'd get short stories again too.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

fish321
Acolyte

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2015 :  18:52:36  Show Profile Send fish321 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

I always thought an intestine thing for authors with long series and complex world's to do would be to put out a series of short stories based on the side characters in their novels in between the large works. For someone like Brandon Sanderson or Steven Erikson their are a lot of details fans are interested in that they could fill in by following side characters through short stories. In the realms it would be neat as well, the authors could fill in gaps and tell stories that occur at the edges of what's happening with their main characters. I'd read a Valas HUNE story or a Ivan story from Salvatore or a story from Allusair POV from greenwood. Evans could do stories in the Cormyr court or in the hells and so on. It would all tie in to their main stories but give us different characters and small events to follow
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2015 :  19:08:55  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
YESS!!!!!!!! I kept hearing about a new Denning book, so I'm glad we finally got some details. I LOVE me some illithids, so I will gladly be reading this novel. And the thought of something "far darker" than illithids has me salivating. I'm not sure which evil groups will be the focus of 5e, so I'm interested in seeing who the big villain is in this book. I thought it was cool that Denning used phaerimm to enslave illithids and beholders in the Return of the Archwizards books. The idea that anything could enslave either of those races was scarier to me than any spell of destruction a phaerimm could cast in battle. I also liked how he made Telamont an absolute beast. I always remember the end of the trilogy when Telamont magically dominated that blue dracolich. That was freaking awesome! I'm not as much a fan of Denning as I am RAS or Elaine, but the guy knows how to craft an interesting story, and he really knows how to build up villains. I'm excited for this book.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2015 :  19:09:04  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Indeed. Personally, I enjoy short stories more than novels, and they would also give ample opportunity to cover and explore the huge variety that the FR offer.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2015 :  19:14:38  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

And the thought of something "far darker" than illithids has me salivating.
Well, given the title and the content of the last book, I am pretty sure we'll read about Myrkul's comeback to divnity in this novel.

Would be cool if Cyric was helping him to spite Kelemvor

Edited by - Mirtek on 07 Apr 2015 19:15:24
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2015 :  19:19:31  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I always thought an intestine thing for authors with long series and complex world's to do would be to put out a series of short stories based on the side characters in their novels in between the large works. For someone like Brandon Sanderson or Steven Erikson their are a lot of details fans are interested in that they could fill in by following side characters through short stories. In the realms it would be neat as well, the authors could fill in gaps and tell stories that occur at the edges of what's happening with their main characters. I'd read a Valas HUNE story or a Ivan story from Salvatore or a story from Allusair POV from greenwood. Evans could do stories in the Cormyr court or in the hells and so on. It would all tie in to their main stories but give us different characters and small events to follow

I am completely with both of you on this. I understand that WOTC doesn't have the budget to write a novel about every region of Faerun, every race, every plane, a follower of every god, etc. In a world this enormous, you really need short stories to fill in the gaps.

Elaine's canceled book that was to be title "The Serpent's Daughter" is a wonderful example. If, for whatever reason, we can't get a full novel updating on us on Elaith, Danilo, and co., I can live with that. But is there any good reason we can't get a short story every 2-3 years to keep us updated on characters we've come to love?

I'm glad you mentioned Valas Hune, because he's pure awesomeness. I'm really intrigued, because his last mention was in one of the Neverwinter novels, and Beniago said that only Jarlaxle, Kimmuriel, and Valas sat above him in the hierarchy of Bregan Daerthe. But we haven't seen Valas since, which makes me wonder what he's up to. On that note, I also marked out when RAS mentioned Shakti Hunzrin making a play for Menzo's Ruling Council. I've been waiting years for an update on her. We could use more short stories for characters like that, who probably don't merit full novels, but are still really cool.

And one more idea. How about a short story giving us just a little detail on Jarlaxle's long ago betrayal of Zaknafein?
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2015 :  19:29:19  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

quote:

I think the best way for them to handle it is to build from this point on. Get a solid core, which it seems at the moment consists of these 4 authors, then parlay their success into bringing in other authors for the one shot novels. The random authors writing novels won't drive the world's process but it can add spice to it. It seems to me that the first step needs to be exactly what they're doing right now until they have built a solid base to replace what was eroded with the spell plague era

I like your optimism, but I just don't see that happening. Ed and RAS have been a very reliable core, selling lots of novels and keeping a consistent writing pace for many years. Elaine, Kemp, and a few others built up a good base of fan support over the years as well. WOTC has had a good base of writers for a LONG time. They have also had a bunch of freelancers come in and write 1 or 2 novels for them that were excellent. They need to find a way to keep these people around. I have always been impressed by the level of FR writing, even from the writers who didn't have big names in the industry. But landing talent is only half the battle. They aren't doing the right things to keep good writers working under their umbrella.
Go to Top of Page

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2015 :  00:15:02  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad to see we have word on a 2nd book with Kleef.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2015 :  01:10:57  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the synopsis. Maybe WotC are sticking to their statement that after the Sundering, the novels would showcase stories that were smaller in scope and not 'blow up the world' jobs. Marsember is a cool place (although a part of me wishes they'd find a different sandbox to play in) and I can only hope that Troy has liaised extensively with Ed and Brian Cortijo for the background lore.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

XavierDharke
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2015 :  21:14:19  Show Profile Send XavierDharke a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm down for this. I'd also like Richard Lee Byers to pick back up with the adventures of Aoth Fezim.
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2015 :  03:49:25  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

quote:

Well, given the title and the content of the last book, I am pretty sure we'll read about Myrkul's comeback to divnity in this novel.

I really like Kelemvor as the god of death, but I would enjoy the storyline you conceived. I can see Kelemvor and Myrkul splitting death, maybe with Kelemvor getting the "good" stuff like honorable deaths (battle, defense of people or ideals, and self sacrifice), natural deaths (old age), and acceptance of death. Then Myrkul could get the "bad" stuff like murder, suicide, and betrayals leading to death. Of course, Bhaal being back complicates things, as he will likely reassume murder.
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2015 :  07:25:53  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to the foreword from the Out of the Abyss adventure Troy is writting about Orcus.

So not Myrkul but something with the return if Kiaranshalee?
Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2015 :  19:49:50  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I preordered the Throne of the Dead hardcover back in July, and Amazon just sent me an email informing me that its status has been changed to "currently unavailable". However, the Kindle edition is still showing as scheduled for March 8th, 2016. I hope this doesn't mean what I think it means. I really do not like this e-book only direction WOTC has been headed in. I've never paid for a digital copy of anything, and won't change my stance even for this, as much as I wanted to read it. If you want my money, you need to give me a physical book.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2015 :  02:26:21  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree about Valas. I would love to see more of him, whether Salvatore writes about him or another author. The question is, where would these short stories be featured? I know short stories of the Realms have been collected into anthologies (some of which I have read), but usually those stories are featured elsewhere first, right? Not everyone reads Dragon magazine, so if they were going to do short stories, I would hope they would make them readily available.

I would like to see some of the other authors come back too, and have unfinished series be completed.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2015 :  02:34:18  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I hope not. Troy Denning needs to stay far away from my favorite deity (Myrkul).

I'd be happy to never see a Denning Realms novel again.

Give the writing contract to someone else. Anyone else.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2015 :  04:14:13  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I really like Kelemvor as the god of death, but I would enjoy the storyline you conceived. I can see Kelemvor and Myrkul splitting death, maybe with Kelemvor getting the "good" stuff like honorable deaths (battle, defense of people or ideals, and self sacrifice), natural deaths (old age), and acceptance of death. Then Myrkul could get the "bad" stuff like murder, suicide, and betrayals leading to death. Of course, Bhaal being back complicates things, as he will likely reassume murder.

I meant to comment on this earlier as well, but I forgot. I agree with you. I like Kelemvor as the god of death. I think the god of death should be neutral, but Myrkul could get the "bad" stop. Or Bhaal could, and then Myrkul could be the god of the physical aspects of death, like decay, rot, etc.

Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2015 :  04:37:12  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

According to the foreword from the Out of the Abyss adventure Troy is writting about Orcus.

So not Myrkul but something with the return if Kiaranshalee?

Oh, that makes sense, because Orcus resurrected the elder brain and now controls that colony of illithids. So he would be the "far worse" monster in this scenario. I like it!
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2015 :  04:40:45  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CylverSaber

I preordered the Throne of the Dead hardcover back in July, and Amazon just sent me an email informing me that its status has been changed to "currently unavailable". However, the Kindle edition is still showing as scheduled for March 8th, 2016. I hope this doesn't mean what I think it means. I really do not like this e-book only direction WOTC has been headed in. I've never paid for a digital copy of anything, and won't change my stance even for this, as much as I wanted to read it. If you want my money, you need to give me a physical book.

Oh, it was supposed to be out in December! Looking now, Ashes of the Tyrant will be out December 29th, and we're getting Throne of the Dead next spring. I hope this Denning novel has great sales, because the Realms novel line has been reduced to Ed, RAS, and Erin. Great storytellers all, but I need more Realms novels!!!
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2015 :  04:44:09  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree. I know the game is Wizards main target, but I support more novels!

Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2015 :  06:47:29  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by CylverSaber

Oh, it was supposed to be out in December! Looking now, Ashes of the Tyrant will be out December 29th, and we're getting Throne of the Dead next spring. I hope this Denning novel has great sales, because the Realms novel line has been reduced to Ed, RAS, and Erin. Great storytellers all, but I need more Realms novels!!!

I'm still seeing the hardcover as "currently unavailable". Only the Kindle edition looks like it's scheduled for March. Are you seeing it listed somewhere else?
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2015 :  18:59:01  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/ProductDetailPage.aspx?sequence=455&group=catalog&mailingID=0&mailingGroupID=0&catalogID=2267269&org=CXAL&sku=0786965746

It appears to not be available for preorder yet on amazon, but is scheduled to be released on March 8, 2016.

My guess is when the release date got changed the preorder got messed up on amazon. If you email amazon, they may be able to help you.
Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2015 :  09:04:11  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, now Amazon sent me an update completely cancelling the order, and even the Kindle edition is no longer available. So I guess the book has been cancelled altogether. Very disappointing.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2015 :  14:11:40  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't find it on Amazon, either. Huh, that is so strange. It would be ashamed to have it cancelled now.

Go to Top of Page

Lamora
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2015 :  20:05:56  Show Profile Send Lamora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it has been cancelled, that is bad for Wizards since they are trying to revitalize the novels. I don't believe 3 writers can do it by themselves. Hopefully it will come out sometime in 2016.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000