Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Reading recommendations?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sunsword
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2015 :  21:55:57  Show Profile  Visit Sunsword's Homepage Send Sunsword a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, I've been devouring Forgotten Realms novels since the Companions, reading all of the Sundering novels and Mr. Salvatore's latest and about to finish Ms. Evans' latest.

My question, as I wait for the next new novel, any suggestions on what I should read next?

Before this I've read a few of Robert Lee Byers' works and a bit of Richard Baker.

Should I start at the beginning with Drizzt? Or with Faridah? Or somewhere else?

Any suggestions are appreciate!

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2015 :  17:36:59  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you read Richard Baker's Blades of the Moonsea trilogy? That one is in my opinion one of the best series in the FR franchise. The War of the Spider Queen series is also very good. Both of these take place before the present timeline. You could start from the beginning of Drizzt, but be forewarned, there are like 26? books and counting. ;P
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2015 :  17:39:36  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow there are tons of Realms books that you haven't read. If you want a great taste of older Realms style I'd rec the Finder's Stone Trilogy. For newer Realms series: I thought the Haunted Lands was pretty solid.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2015 :  19:29:59  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everything by Elaine Cunningham and everything by Paul S Kemp would be my first recommendations. I also recommend the Icewind Dale trilogy and the Dark Elf trilogy if you like Drizzt, you can continue on with the entire series if you really like him too and be set for a decent number of books.

I also agree that the Finder's Stone trilogy is a good series to read. There are other good series set in the Realms worth reading but I'd start with these, even if you don't read the entire Drizzt series if you read all the series recommended there'll be over 20 books.
Go to Top of Page

Sunsword
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2015 :  20:10:01  Show Profile  Visit Sunsword's Homepage Send Sunsword a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies! I've read Swordmage by Richard Baker and the first two books of the Byers' Haunted Lands. I really do need to finish those and then I'll look into the others.

One other question, do any of you recommend Spellfire by Greenwood?
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2015 :  22:59:11  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if I'd recommend Spellfire. I've read it, and it's ok, but I haven't bothered to reread it more than once maybe since the first reading. Generally I'm always reading and rereading books I really enjoy, but with Spellfire I haven't felt the urge to do that. There's some interesting parts of the Realms in it, if I am remembering right, and I think that book was the first time I had ever heard of the Cult of the Dragon. I don't want to tell you not to read it, but I wouldn't say it should be the first Realms book you grab for entertainment.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2015 :  20:24:19  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed Spellfire when I read it in the early 90s but I'm not sure if it would still hold up. If you enjoy the Forgotten Realms setting though, I would recommend reading every single Realms novel.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2015 :  20:38:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Though we never quite reached a consensus, this is a topic that was discussed at length in the Experienced help for recommending FR Novels thread. Perusing that scroll may be helpful for you.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2015 :  21:46:39  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed spellfire and crown of fire.hand of fire though

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000