Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Rai'guy
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Finglas Leaflock
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2015 :  15:38:16  Show Profile Send Finglas Leaflock a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all!

I'm re-reading the entire Drizzt series at the moment, so that when I read the newer stuff that I've never read, the older stuff will be fresh again. Anyway, I'm on the Paths of Darkness series, reading the collectors' edition this time, and Jarlaxle has a lieutenant named Rai'gy. I could have sworn it was Rai'guy when I read the books originally, using the original releases.

I guess my question is, does anyone know why they changed it? My best guess is that it had something to do with the similarity to former Oakland Raiders punter Ray Guy (probably the best punter ever, btw), or else it could be that I've hit my head too many times and it's always been Rai'gy. :-) Thanks!

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2015 :  16:08:41  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the wiki page noting the change, but they don't say why it was changed.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Rai-guy_Bondalek

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2015 :  05:41:00  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There were actually three different variant spellings:

* Rai'gy (The Silent Blade)
* Rai-gy (The Spine of the World)
* Rai-guy (Servant of the Shard)

It looks like editorial inconsistency to me.

Given the drow penchant for apostrophes, I'd tend to trust the first spelling the most. Those hyphens just look off to me, as parts of would-be drow names.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Finglas Leaflock
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2015 :  23:02:40  Show Profile Send Finglas Leaflock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! The apostrophe thing makes sense. I still wonder if it wasn't a hidden-in-plain-sight sports reference, kind of like Glensather of Easthaven (who coached the great Edmonton Oilers hockey teams of the 1980s, under the name Glen Sather http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Sather), hehe.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2015 :  01:26:49  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given Bob's fondness for silly dwarf names, that could very well be.

I wasn't familiar with the football player, though. My initial thought was simply "wry guy", as in a sarcastic, neener-neener, snarling drow dude.

Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2015 :  21:44:16  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

There were actually three different variant spellings:

* Rai'gy (The Silent Blade)
* Rai-gy (The Spine of the World)
* Rai-guy (Servant of the Shard)

It looks like editorial inconsistency to me.

Given the drow penchant for apostrophes, I'd tend to trust the first spelling the most. Those hyphens just look off to me, as parts of would-be drow names.

don't remember rai-guy in spine of the world.what was he doing in it.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2015 :  02:56:26  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

don't remember rai-guy in spine of the world.what was he doing in it.

He and the other Bregan D'aerthe heavies show up right at the end to punish Morik the Rogue for not following through with his promise to feed them information in a timely fashion. You could say that Rai-guy had some burning questions for Morik...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000