Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Thoughts of Princes of the Apocalypse
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2015 :  23:41:35  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What do you guys think of Princes of the Apocalypse?

I really like it so far, with a few minor complaints. So SPOILERS for those who haven't picked it up yet!

1. I wish the elemental temples weren't all in the same place. Having them in far distant or at least seperate locations would have been more interesting. It's a little lame for an adventure this big to remain in such a small area of the Realms. Some variety would have been nice.

2. While the bad guys are pretty well detailed....your allies and other friendly and neutral NPCs are not. A whole lot of the NPcs only get a name, sex and class. I thought this was pretty weak. Advnetures need compelling characters on the friendly side too!

3. Connection with the Elemental Evil is pretty weak in the end. The elemntal cults are good villains but the mysterious force behind them is barely even hinted at..it's so nebulous that I think they either intend to follow this up or are leving it open for DMs to. I wish I knew which way they intended.
Another lame thing about the end is that is flat out says that the Elemental Evil will rise again stronger under drow leadership. That's pretty uninspiraed writing as that's how the back story said the cult rose up last time-the drow. And it makes the player's actions not totally meaningless but not of lasting impact.

4. There aren't enough red herrings in terms of people, groups, etc you investigate that don't turn out to be cultists. The cultist are being smart and pretending to be other than htye are but the adventure isn't exactly subtle in where the cult is hiding.

Overall I really like it, more than Tyranny of Dragons actually but it's going to need some of work to get ready to run.

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2015 :  06:07:44  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not the same, but I still think you should play any product named "Princes of the Apocalypse" with <"Princes of the Universe"> going in the background.

You could pretty much do anything with that going in the background!

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2015 :  12:16:01  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've only seen the first two chapters so far (the ones released for Expeditions) and so all I can comment on is the proximity of the temples. I agree it's ridiculous and is a real missed opportunity to explore other parts of Faerūn. Hopefully something interesting will come out of the Mulmaster stuff for Expeditions.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2015 :  17:36:28  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where does this adventure take place geographically? I've seen Mulmaster listed, and if all the temple locations are near each other, I'm gussing everything is in the Moonsea region?
If so, it still furthers my idea that they are leaving the areas touched by the Spellplague most (geographically speaking) alone until they figure out how "fixed" the Realms is in those areas post-sundering.

I kinda like hearing that the NPC's aren't terribly detailed. It will make them easier to tailor to my group.

The Red Herrings could be an issue, though. I don't come up with those very easily.

How is the adventure in terms of tidbits of lore? Come across anything juicy like we did with the Tyranny adventures with Laeral becoming open lord of Waterdeep?

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2015 :  19:02:38  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, the actual Princes of the Apocalypse campaign takes place around the town of Red Larch near the Dessarin Valley in, you guessed it, the Sword Coast region.

Only Expeditions and the Neverwinter MMO really focus on other regions.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2015 :  21:09:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PF/Golarion 'grew' outward from Varisia, and I think they are taking that sort of approach.

While the die-hard Realms fans like us would have loved if the temples were spread all over the world (with appropriate portals to get the charatcers to the next stop quickly... unless the DM doesn't want that), I think the idea is to pull new fans into the Realms slowly, in bite-sized chunks. They've been up & down the Sword Coast now from the Shining Vale (Daggerford region) all the way up to Luskan and now they are startng to move inland - that last map of Mike Schley's is the 'connecting piece' needed to get folks from the coast over to the High forest.

And if and when THAT sees print... OH BOY... everyone is in for a real treat. More history of the High Forest kingdoms, and a history of Delzoun! Many secrets revealed! But in true 'Ed fashion', three new mysteries take the place of each.

What these 5e adventures are doing is whetting the appetites of new fans. For us, the best is yet to come.

Oh, Jergal... we hardly knew ye'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Apr 2015 21:10:18
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2015 :  21:11:40  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd not thought of it from that perspective before. Now that you've pointed it out, I feel silly. I should have seen it all along. They're expanding the world from a point outward.

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2015 :  23:09:16  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We don't really know if the point outward is the approach or not. It's a good guess that makes sense.
But they haven't said squat about their approach and what they want to do so its best guess.

It might just be that they're focusing on the Sword Coast becuase Neverwinter online and upcoming Swords Coast Legends is set there.
I hope Markustay is right but I don't see a whole lot of evidence either way.
Go to Top of Page

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2015 :  01:53:50  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another interesting thing is that in the sidetreks chapter (6) they utilize the Kraken Society as bad guys but the adventure strangely doesn't tell you anything about the Society. Not sure if that's an oversight or they are assuming DMs have requisite FR knowledge.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2015 :  04:39:24  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I need to read this before I got shooting off my mouth, but here I am anyway.

No assumptions should be made at this early stage in an edition. Especially after they changed the nature of the Cult of the Dragon so completely in Tyranny of Dragons... we can't take it for granted that the Kraken Society has the same goals it used to, and they shouldn't be asking us to make that assumption. These adventure paths should be playable and DMable by folks who are new to D&D and new to the Realms, and who don't have previous-edition books to refer to.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2015 :  19:19:51  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or they're whetting the appetite of new fans for something up and coming....

I'm away from my book at the moment. Does the sidequest go into enough depth on the Kraken Society that such detail is needed? Because if the DM comes up with filler that's "wrong," then you can just spin it later as a rogue cult.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2015 :  02:47:20  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

then you can just spin it later as a rogue cult.

I like this. Delwa for President!

(2017: that was just a rogue cult of candlekeep.)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000