Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 All Things Netheril
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2015 :  20:05:32  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Figured out how to deal with the conundrum of Shade.

What I mean is that in my rewrite very few enclaves are city sized (because that's how Ed had it I believe), only the first 4 enclaves and the last two were capable of holding more than 1000 inhabitants (the first four being Xinlenal, Anauria, Asram, and Hlondath. The last two being Eileanar and Jiksidur. This is because several of those are city sized and affect other areas of Faerun so have to remain city sized) The size of the enclaves represented a mastery of the art that only the original masters possessed or later truly exceptional individuals. My reasoning is that with each successive generation of Archwizard they understood less and less of the Art but were able to advance it more and more by building upon the discoveries of their predecessors (kind of like how we can build super computers but very few understand how they actually work and certainly couldn't make one ourselves using relays and transistors).

So Ioulaum taught Raumark, Laummas, and Twyluth whose enclaves were slightly smaller than Ioulaum's. Their students were smaller still, until the Shadowed Age where the norm for enclaves was to have a single building that could hold no more than 50 individuals.

Truly exceptional beings like Larloch and Karsus (both blessed by the divine I believe - one Jergal the other Mystryl) exceeded those limits and made enclaves that rivalled the likes of Anauria, Asram, or Hlondath (none were ever as big as Xinlenal though).

However the problems come with Shade in that it returns to Faerun in 1370+ and is obviously city sized with several thousand inhabitants (I'm sure the novels detail tens of thousands but that can be put down to exaggeration).

So how does a small building sized enclave like Thultanthar turn into a city sized enclave, and survive in a hostile, lightless, alien environment like the Demi-Plane of Shadow with only 50 people on it.

What I'm picturing is that the enclave travels to the Demi-Plane through a planar portal (kind of like a planar rift or tear but more permanent). The Avatar spell goes off and the rift seals up, but not completely. It leaves a tiny pin prick hole in the fabric of the Demi-Plane that lets through the light of Toril from the Hidden Vale where it was created.

So the people of Thultanthar are protected from the shadowy inhabitants and effects of the Demi-Plane so long as they stay in the ray of light that comes through this tiny rip. Moreso it provides them with a means to grow food to survive.

The only problem left is where does the big city come from. Its not made of Shadow Stuff which probably wouldn't survive well upon its return to Toril (and it is clearly made of rock in the pictures). So what if they recycled the dead. After 2000 years a lot of people would have died and rotted. That's a lot of extra material that could be used to grow food and ultimately be used to form rock (Rock to Mud).

So the city grows outwards from a single tower to a large ring like city with each ring connected to an inner ring by tunnels.

Oh and I turn the Demi-Plane into the Plane because the destruction of the Weave unravels effects of the Sundering that then brings Faerie (and conversely) Shadow back into alignment with Toril thus making them full fledged transitional planes, it just takes several thousand years. Or you could spin it that Shar tried to steal the Weave but it failed and instead tied a portion of the Weave to the Demi-Plane causing it to grow back into a full fledged transitional plane and brought Faerie (its opposite) along with it.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2015 :  00:30:45  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stone exists in the Plane of Shadow.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2015 :  08:45:30  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And there was me thinking you weren't going to read about netheril.

Of all the things to pick up on this thread you chose stone in the shadow plane.

Since I'm taking a few liberties with the history of faerun I don't see any harm in taking a few liberties with the planes.

Since faerie was once more closely connected to toril and drifted away, then the Demi plane of shadow became the plane of shadow. Plus you have fey crossroads, I'm pretty sure the 3e shadow dale adventure had the players or npcs use faerie to travel distance in the material plane (which is signs of a transitional plane) and more than a few sources have shown the shadow plane can be used to move a distance in the material plane, I decided to come up with an explanation for the change.

At the same time why not reinvent the shadow plane. I don't want it to be just another material plane like place but darker, that's not very interesting. So this plane of shadow is infused with negative energy (which allows me to have shadows behave like ghosts and be able to manifest incorporeal lay through the transitional shadow plane like the ethereal). Furthermore the shadow matter is a pale shadowy version of the material plane.

So you have geographical features on the shadow plane that match those on the material plane but it's all made if shadow stuff, even the creatures are infuse with shadow stuff, and shadow stuff having a link to negative energy drains positive energy (otherwise known as life).

So there is stone and water and trees in the shadow plane, but it is mostly shadowy imitations of the real thing. They are made of shadow stuff but in the shadow plane are almost indistinguishable from the real thing, and prolonged exposure drains life away from living beings (which the early denizens of shade discovered after some time and a few deaths).

There is also some real matter in the plane. Planar tears allow real matter in but such resources are precious and rare.

So in sum up, the shades decided against using shadow stone because it weakened them, and so had to rely on their own resources. Life was really harsh for shade in the first century. After the princes discovered how to infuse themselves with shadow stuff they started incorporating shadow stone into the enclave to stop the commoners trespassing into secret areas.

At least that's how I'm spinning it for my rewrite.

One major problem I'm encountering (apart from the names which I still suck at) is that I'm running out of enclaves. I've got far more arch wizards than enclaves

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2015 :  12:31:12  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Latest lore mining result. Wild talents begin appearing during the age of discovery thanks to the constant exposure to energy fields (the nexus) over many generations.
They appear in both high and low netherese people.

The authorities begin to crack down on the wild talents because they can be dangerous and unpredictable, but some survive and gives a magical edge to those with them. As a result this age sees a rise in the numbers of low netherese arch wiZards.

Buoyances (renamed Beyanc) takes it upon himself to eliminate these new arch wizards (because like most high netherese he is a racist) and so assassinates kartaklys, lesten, and felious just as they create their enclaves.

Secretly Beyanc is a wild talent himself and switches form between himself and his twin sister (merged before birth) at will.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2015 :  20:42:58  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if Delia is not what is hidden in Evereska (supposedly something from Netheril is hidden in the vale that the elves thought needed possessing/hiding/protecting).

So either its a hidden enclave with mythallar, or perhaps a sleeping tarrasque. I know official lore says there can only be one tarrasque per planet but I find that limit a bit annoying and I'm dying to try and come up with another origin for another tarrasque - there can still be one running around beneath the Northdark/Heralds Hold - I'm thinking some kind of crazy experiment that was the Netherese version of Tenser's Transformation that they did to try and beat the phaerimm but it went horribly wrong.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2015 :  00:16:44  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not either of those things. And what is hidden/guarded is in the Greycloak Hills, not Evereska itself.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2015 :  12:31:19  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

It's not either of those things. And what is hidden/guarded is in the Greycloak Hills, not Evereska itself.

-- George Krashos

O.O .... please, go on....

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2015 :  19:10:09  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just figured out what I'm going to do with thiefsward.
It's one of those problem settlements that spring up in a land far away from netherils supply centres at a time when netherils magic was just emerging and the enclaves and mythallar were in their infancy.

So, I may well change it's founding date to fit in more with my slightly altered timeline. But I'm going to make thiefsward a secret regional headquarters of the ashwind assassins who hire themselves out to kill arcanists and arch wizards.

So the ashassins establish "assassins blade" in the empty lands left after thaeravels collapse. It remains hidden from the authorities until the end of the shadowed age. But the angardt do discover them and relations are strained and occasionally hostile

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2015 :  20:20:51  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Came up with a name for Thiefsward.

Bomaich, or Bomaych, or Bomaish. Something along those lines that roughly translates to Roguesword, which could also be Rogues Word (depending upon how you read it), which is a corruption of Thiefs Ward. However Roguesword is also a phonetic corruption of Thiefsward.

A double code meant to catch out the unwary and depending upon how you pronounce it depends on if you are allowed in.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2015 :  20:24:30  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm also thinking of turning Scourge into another secret base for the Ashwind Assassins.

It would translate as Thiefs Whip. Whip of course being another word for a scourge

The name would be Bokoith or Bokoth.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2015 :  12:23:58  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone have any thoughts when Tharlagaunt Bale (aka Bhaal) should be born.
I've made him low netherese in origin to give him a reason to be an assassin and member of the ashwind assassins instead of becoming an arch wizard (the netherese discriminated against their low netherese kin and so hindered their training in the magical arts, and Buoyances had a habit of murdering low netherese that tried to become arch wizards.

So that makes Tharlagaunt bale was alive during the silver age at the earliest when the low netherese came to be recognised as a distinct racial group (made from ulou, talfir, and netherese mingling).

But should he be present at the start of the ashwind assassins from -2300 dr onwards, or should he arrive much later in the discovery or shadowed age.

With netherese longevity magics it really doesn't matter he could live for a thousand years or more without a problem. I guess it's just a matter of personal taste

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2015 :  12:55:27  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone have any Netheril inconsistencies, conundrums, or just annoyingly unclear bits that I could try and address while I'm at it (I hope I've got most of them anyway but I'd just like to check and see what bugs other people).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2015 :  11:37:47  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I'm looking at the region around heip lake and have decided it is going to become the birth place of the low netherese people and culture. And because it is situated at the centre of two trade routes then low netherese people and culture quickly spreads throughout the empire.

Thus the worship of jannath and tyche (derived from old talfir deities but not the same) spread throughout the empire as well.

I've just read about jannath and remembrance and I reckon I could merge remembrance with the monastery of jannath on the glorifier mountain without too much trouble. I note that the monastery (which I might call natures remembrance) has an evil band of murdering ranger associated with it, and a group of Druids that poly morphed people they didn't like into animals. Furthermore the monks of jannath were not very cooperative with netheril so I'm wondering if something more sinister could be going on here.

Perhaps the monastery was taken over in later years by nefarious individuals, perhaps it was a front for the arcanist seditionist society who used it to secretly train low netherese arcanists.

Any ideas?

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2015 :  11:55:20  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just had another thought after reading a few teaser chapters of The Herald.
I wonder if Candlekeep was established by netherese, It could have been one of the seven monasteries of amaunator, or a secret facility of the selskar order where arcanists could practise dangerous magic in safety (I wonder if dragonspear castle was not another) .

The main part of my musing however is what larloch was trying to drain and the descriptions of it. Could a number of the nether scrolls be hidden in its depths and that is what the prefects are guarding.

The titles of the prefects are semi religious and do imply a protection of or from books. Their use of sceptres is very netherese too.

We know a number of scrolls were stolen, pounded to baubles and then sold. Perhaps someone recognised them, bought them, and hid them in Candlekeep. I'm thinking this takes place at the end of the shadowed age or after.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2015 :  12:37:00  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The founding date of Candlekeep is -200 DR. Some Netherese influence in terms of its founding would be realistic. Look at the "Wyrms of the North" write-up for Miirym: I'd always thought that the arch sorcerer Torth was Netherese.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2015 :  12:45:47  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dammit, not another arch wizard, I ran out of enclaves to give archwizards to about ten archwizards ago (and I don't have land bound enclaves, they are something different).

Cheers for the pointer though George, I'm going to look that one up now.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2015 :  16:32:49  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm struggling here, I can't seem to find anything interesting about the discovery age.
All the trends from previous ages continue, they find some new frontiers and new resources, but nothing truly noteworthy defines this age.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2015 :  08:46:58  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sigh, I have to agree that arch sorcerer torth does seem a likely candidate for a netherese arch wizard.

His title of arch sorcerer is a good indicator, it is a similar title given to lady saharel (obviously she has the female version). His ability to work powerful magics few others can do even today is also important. The timeframe of just after the Fall means there are few other places he could have come from.
Then there is the mention of magic to bind miirym when she escaped her bonds that it says is possessed only by a few netherese liches and some red wizards.
Netherese had more than a bit of experience at taming and mastering dragons (orogoth, dragon shape, and another dragon from the wyrms of the north series)
So I'll have to look at my enclaves and figure out which one he is from, probably a slightly religious one.

The deal between mystra and oghma regarding Candlekeep is interesting and gives me more reason to suspect a few of the nether scrolls lie beneath it or are even prt of its foundations.
Of course gods take no actions in my world but it seems simple to imagine to prominent figures in a shattered church of mystrl and a shattered church of oghma might sign a pact in blood and magic.
Now I just need to check and see where oghmas worship originates, and hopefully it's jhaamdath.
As I approach the diaspora age I find the mixing of netherese and jhaam peoples in the heartlands becomes more and more important.
I do wish we had more information about how the vilhon reach was reclaimed after the tsunami, because I'd love to do an alternate version of that involving the dark three and lathanders church and a bunch of innocent bystanders

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2015 :  12:22:12  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Sigh, I have to agree that arch sorcerer torth does seem a likely candidate for a netherese archmage.

Told you so.

Btw, for what it's worth, Ed's original concept for "enclaves" did not require them to be flying cities. It was simply the name for any particular archwizard's territory/holding.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2015 :  12:25:45  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Sigh, I have to agree that arch sorcerer torth does seem a likely candidate for a netherese archmage.

Told you so.

Btw, for what it's worth, Ed's original concept for "enclaves" did not require them to be flying cities. It was simply the name for any particular archwizard's territory/holding.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2015 :  12:37:44  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I have departed somewhat from that vision in order to enable me to clearly define what an archwizard is and in order to keep netherils borders well defined and separate from the enclaves.

So to be an archwizard you must create an enclave which is a floating piece of land that is outside of netherils sovereign territory (most achieve that by flying above it but one could phase through rock and so existed beneath it)

Places like quesseer and sargauth and the three undersea settlements of deep netheril are actually part of the outpost program. When someone finds a resource of value they establish a settlement with their own funds and resources. If it is successful, commercially viable, and passes the admonistrative inspection then the empire would buy the place as part of the outpost program. It would then become part of empire territory and no longer the property of the founding archwizard or arcanist (although many stayed around to oversea the project).

That's just my work around however, but it was the only way I could reconcile bits of the lore to make cohesive sense (as far as an empire goes).

Still working on where torth will come from. Perhaps he was the next most powerful on synod and so took charge for a few years after alithar and the other candidates withdrew to ascore to oversea construction of the pyramids.

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 14 Oct 2015 12:38:44
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2015 :  22:44:16  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The founding date of Candlekeep is -200 DR. Some Netherese influence in terms of its founding would be realistic. Look at the "Wyrms of the North" write-up for Miirym: I'd always thought that the arch sorcerer Torth was Netherese.

-- George Krashos

I am now looking into this also and my current version is that Candlekeep was actualy founded by mortal Deneir as a repository of written knowledge he was obsessed with even during his life. Interesting for me is also that he ascended 25DR and in 75DR unknown Alaundo came to candlekeep...
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2015 :  21:22:35  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well a mortal ascension seems the most likely scenario.

I am leaning towards an accident that resulted in the creation of Deneir.

I have some ideas floating in my head about Candlekeep being setup by the Selskar Order as a secure experimental facility (like the Mines of Dekanter became).

When the Selskar Order was outlaw the keep was abandoned.

Around -339 DR the Archsorcerer Torth flees west and finds candlekeep and a few remaining prefects (what members of the Selskar Order were called since they monitored the experimental facilities).

Around -200 DR Archsorcerer Torth binds Miirym. 15 years later he dies in a magical accident establishing complex wards around the site (the wards require tokens and wards were a favourite of the Netherese).

What Torth didn't know is that the site was home to a number of the Nether Scrolls that Aldlas Sodhese (founder of the Selskar Order) had hidden here while he tried to find the rest of the stolen scrolls so he could become a hero to the people of Netheril.

So Torth Deneir merges with the wards, and the Nether scrolls. His whisperings over the centuries to the prefects result in the foundation of a religion.

One trouble I have found is a line in Races of Faerun which states
quote:
Ancient Jhaamdath was one of the first human cultures to develop the written word, and, as such, literate Chondathans have long honoured Deneir, the Lord of All Glyphs and Images.
The church of Deneir has spread to other cultures as Chondathan traders spread the trade tongues of Common or its antecedent,

and

quote:
Chondathan merchants carried with them the teachings of Deneir, Helm, and Waukeen.

However I believe I have an explanation. It all hinges on what you define as Chondathan, and how you interpret the first quote which doesn't specifically state that Deneir's worship originated in Jhaamdath, merely that the Chondathans have long venerated Deneir. Surely the people of Jhaamdath would be known as Jhaamdathi. So what if Chondathans are the merging of Jhaamdathi and Netherese (thus giving rise to the trade tongue which merchants spread).

So Deneir's worship starts in Candlekeep, the mixing of Netherese and Jhaamdathi people in the Heartlands carries Deneir's worship back to the Vilhon Reach and beyond. So the Chondathan merchants did spread Deneir's worship and the trade tongue, but Deneir originated in candlekeep after -200 DR.

The church formally forms in -25 DR, probably somewhere in Cormyr (where the orthodox church is centred I believe).

Just a rough idea, and not really connected to Netheril, but its part of the Diaspora which I'm focusing on as well.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2015 :  14:14:44  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just had an odd thought after reading a totally unrelated thread about the srinshee and myth drannor.

Does anyone know what the elven word for midnight is?

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2015 :  15:42:52  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Best i can come up with is ened'ome or ened'ur

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2015 :  20:44:35  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some more musings, this time about Shar and Gorothir.

quote:
The inside of this black leather corset contains the sacred tale of how the mythical Shar worshiper Gorothir felled an empire with only a lie and a secret.

quote:
The Girdle is named for its reputed maker, the priest Gorothir (who may in fact have been given the belt by Shar herself or by one of her servants). What is certain is that in his role as “Dark Prophet of the Night,” Gorothir wore the Girdle for some seven centuries, from the waning of Netheril (in Dalereckoning, around the year -310). The belt is obviously protected by very powerful (some say divine) preservative magic that has survived to this day, and it is probably one of the oldest garments in Faerūn.
Gorothir was a cunning, energetically evil man, given to sensual excesses and sudden orgies of violence. He was widely feared, even among Sharran clergy, and Shar gave him seemingly endless powers with which to lead her church, hoping to keep it strong and flourishing as the sophisticated might of Netheril was dashed away. Gorothir is known to have had the ability to turn himself at will into a “man-stag” twice as tall as a man and to twist spells hurled against him so that their effects went “wild.” Darkly handsome and a lover of intrigues, Gorothir sired countless children and ruled the faithful of Shar (and the lands they held sway over) like a mad tyrant.
In the end, that was his undoing. His descendants hated and feared him. For one thing, he regarded his bloodkin as his personal slaves, and often appeared to snatch lovely young ladies away from their chosen grooms and whisk them afar, into servitudes of his own cruelly whimsical selections, never to be seen again. Ultimately, his own grandchildren plotted to bring Gorothir down. They met with the mages he was fond of forcing to yield up their best magics, the rulers of lands who did not wish to be under the Shadow of Shar forever, and the clergy of rival gods. Together they lured the Dark Prophet to a place of power sacred to Selūne. Gorothir hoped to desecrate the place and steal its magics for his own, corrupting its guardian priestess and subverting her best spells to serve him.
He was busily carrying out those ends on a hot night in Mirtul of 446 DR when his foes revealed themselves in force, acting in concert against him. The Dark Prophet was destroyed, torn apart and blasted simultaneously in the heart of a massive conflagration of warring magic in which many died.
Out of that Night of Dark Fire, the protective magics of Shar preserved Gorothir’s staff, which was angrily seized and broken by an arch-wizard who paid for the act with his life, and the Girdle, snatched up and hidden away by one of Gorothir’s kin as booty.

quote:
Gorothir of Shar, the Dark Prophet of the Night, dominated
the Church of the Dark Lady from the waning of Netheril (circa –310 DR) until his death in the Year of the Unblinking Eye (446 DR). Hated by his countless descendants for his tyrannical ways, the Dark Prophet
was destroyed by his own grandchildren, who arranged for his foes (mages whose magics he had commandeered, clergy of rival gods, and rulers whose thrones he had usurped) to ambush him while he raided a place of power sacred to Selūne. The massive conflagration of warring magic destroyed Shar’s servant, leaving only his staff and girdle untouched. An archwizard of Selūne shattered the Shadowstaff of Gorothir - an act for which he paid with his life—but Gorothir’s girdle survived and has since passed through many hands.

Now I've moved Sepulchre somewhat and changed it from a city to a small shrine to Shar that is centred on the Cave of Whispers in the Fallen Lands (Sepulchre is a tomb and the cave of whispers could easily be the last resting place of a godling).

So that makes Gorothir the high priest of Sepulchre from -310 DR onwards.

It also puts him near to the Eight Throned Realm that I've been working on in the Tunlands, High Moors, Goblin Marches region.
When people fled the fall of Netheril they didn't all run straight to the Western Heartlands. The first to flee established realms in the Tunlands, others that arrived after were forced to move further on into the Backlands, then others even further into the Sunset Vale. This pushed the ffolk towards the coast (and the Moonshae Isles later).

So horse nomads from the northern reaches of Jhaamdath (although not part of Jhaamdath), angarth barbarians, and a bunch of city states created by natives from lost Thaeravel and Low Netherese all end up living in close proximity in this region. They eventually become united into a federation of states.

Now I had originally envisaged this realm perishing before 1 DR after intrigues from various successors of the code of reversion plotted to gain power. But I wonder if I could not use Gorothir.

He felled an empire with a lie and a secret. Now it may not have been an actual empire, but it could be the last remains of an empire (ie the last successor of netheril) if the eight throned realm survived until 446 DR.

It did state he was destroyed by his children, rival clergy, and the rulers of thrones he usurped. Now its unlikely Gorothir could usurp multiple thrones at once unless he claimed a federation of thrones (eight thrones to be exact). The "thrones" is crucial.

So perhaps I can weave in the imprisonment of Elah Nydra/Eldath (from Anauroch) with an Eldathan attempt to reclaim the Anauroch Desert at Elah Zad (one of the artefacts of the nature gods was used to reclaim a portion of the desert), and the eight throned realm of Nyrax in the depths of the Marsh of Tun, and the death/imprisonment of a god in the High Moors, and Gorothir's death.

All I need is a convincing lie and a secret. Perhaps no one knew Elah was an archlich except Gorothir. Perhaps he spread dissent among the other rulers with a lie . The end result was that the realm fought itself and he claimed the ruins before finally being destroyed by Nyrax and Selune's clergy.

I vaguely remember an inn that was home to the first Harpers in the Tunlands that was destroyed by Gargauth (or a battle between Elminster and Gargauth/Gargoth). I wonder if that inn could not provide some help here

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2015 :  08:59:58  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Made an interesting discovery yesterday.
I found a website that had a timeline of toril that included names for all the years from -700 to 1500 dr (it had been contributed to by George Krashos and a few others and was compiled from something on the realms L list).

It has quite a few nice bits about west gates timeline. The bit that stood out for me though was a date shortly after tzindylspar was connected to calimshan which spoke of the appearance of worship of a sun god in calimshan.

Now lathander worship appears suddenly before the dawn cataclysm and I reckon he was made when the people of fallen netheril and jhaamdath began mixing in the western heartlands and dragon coast.
Netheril had amaunator but his worship was unpopular because of the fall and his church's harsh treatment of people.
Jhaamdath's pantheon was by this time a mixture of jhaam and calishite gods and calimshan is known to have had an unnamed sun god in the past.
What if the mixing at tzindylspar originally brought the idea of organised sun worship to the calishites (they struck me as particularly devout - to greedy and self serving) and the name amaunator was translated and corrupted to something like lathander that eventually became lathander when the jhaam and netherese mixed.

Might explain how the whole cycle myth came about because the two gods were idealogically related.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2015 :  23:51:36  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wrigley

quote:

-- George Krashos

I am now looking into this also and my current version is that Candlekeep was actualy founded by mortal Deneir as a repository of written knowledge he was obsessed with even during his life. Interesting for me is also that he ascended 25DR and in 75DR unknown Alaundo came to candlekeep...

That's an interesting take (that mortal Deneir helped found Candlekeep). I really do like that one, and if the times do fit around it, that definitely could be something that could be tweaked. For instance, was Deneir involved in raising the mythal around Candlekeep that Larloch later tries to draw on..... and did this somehow have a linkage to Deneir returning?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2015 :  09:15:46  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I'm having a go at reinventing the various gods and their origins to try and sort of the mess of deific nonsense we have had in the past.

For Netheril I have Selune and Shar come into existence from old cave paintings found in the Anauroch Basin.

The fact that those paintings depicted old gods from the talfir and the proto talfir before them does not necessarily mean they are the same gods.

Amaunator comes into existence shortly after the raising of the first enclave. The sun god idea then spreads to Calimshan through Tsindylspar (although Calimshan probably had lots of minor sun cults, but I think for the most part the calishites are not particularly devout and so most of their gods were little more than demigods). From there the sun god of Calimshan spreads to Jhaamdath and then when Jhaamdath is destroyed the Jhaam people move to the dragon coast and western heartlands and the mixing of netherese and jhaam also causes the mixing of faithful of amaunator and the calishite sun god (probably now called L'athun). The result is Lathaunatar, later Lathander.

Targus is a minor giant godling of war that was worshipped by the barbarians of the Ride which the Netherese borrowed for their own god.

Kozah is a deific cast off of Sseth, discovered in the depths of Monikar (which I renamed) who birthed a cult of maniacs intent on destroying Netheril. It was originally part of Sseth (an alias) but he later cast it free when Netheril fell and it slowly dwindled into a nothingness.

Tyche and Jannath are born out of the creation of the low netherese subgroup of humans (the mixing of rengarth, talfir, and netherese). The people of Thaeravel had a number of gods that were all but lost when Thaeravel fell. The memory of them persisted in myths and legends that were passed on to the low netherese descendants and eventually became Jannath the Great Earthmother and Tyche the goddess of luck (she was originally a god of fate). Their original names and portfolios are unknown, and there is no real connection between the original talfir deities and the reborn netherese deities. Incidentally the Earthmother survived in the ffolk people that fled the fall of Thaeravel into the western heartlands, pushed ever further westward by Netherese expansion until finally they crossed the sword coast.

Moander isn't even a god at all during Netheril's time. He was an ancient primordial born out of the rot and decay from the fall of Isstosseffifil, that ran out of fuel somewhere in the Desertsmouth Mountains and dwindled into almost nothingness.

During Netheril's golden age various groups fled the growing empire (the ones that founded Monikar for instance) and one such group came across the remains of Moander and started a cult. It wasn't until the fall of netheril however that Moander became a deity, when one Alithar Chonis relinquished his divinity to Moander as part of a bargain that Moander instantly reneged on. Moander became a demigod that marched on Cormanthor, and Alithar Chonis became his unwitting and unwilling servant.

As for the other gods I'm loosely basing my redesign on the Races of Faerun excerpts like this.

quote:
The melting pot nature of Tethyrian culture has ensured that
most deities of the Faerūnian pantheon are venerated in Tethyrian-
occupied lands. Tempus is believed to have been a Talfirian
deity who defeated the Netherese god Targus (Garagos).
Netherese refugees brought with them the faith of Amaunator
(reborn as Lathander), Chauntea, Talos, Mystryl (reborn as
Mystra), Selūne, and Shar. Illuskan invaders introduced worship
of Auril, Mielikki, and Oghma. Calishite armies introduced the
faiths of Ilmater and Tyr. Chondathan merchants carried with
them the teachings of Deneir, Helm, and Waukeen. Newer
deities have arisen and been adopted as well, including Cyric,
Kelemvor, and Siamorphe. Other deities that enjoy large Tethyrian
followings include Eldath, Milil, Shaundakul, and Torm. Six
of the most prominent churches in Tethyrian-occupied lands
include the faiths of Cyric, Helm, Ilmater, Kelemvor, Oghma,
and Siamorphe.
Siamorphe is originally a Tethyrian goddess, worshiped primarily
in Waterdeep, Baldur’s Gate, and Tethyr. Her church has
waxed and waned in centuries past as waves of idealism and cynicism
have swept the nobility, but Siamorphe is currently ascendant.
The church of the Divine Right is most popular among the
HUMANS
nobility, although Siamorphe is also seen as a guarantor of
just rule by many commoners.

As I noted before Deneir is stated as being Chondathan, but of course Chondathans as a people didn't really come into existence until after the fall of Jhaamdath (I reckon chondathan is actually a fusing of netherese and jhaam peoples).
It also states that Deneir is popular among chondathans because jhaamdath has long had the written word, it doesn't actually state that Deneir originated in Jhaamdath.
The fact that his organised church was only born in 25 DR says to me that he didn't exist too long before this date. Gods cannot exist without worshippers (canon might say otherwise, but illogical canon isn't canon to me, and canon doesn't mean much after 4e/5e).
For most lawful and benevolent gods you need a church in order to properly establish a presence and prevent conflict.

The fact that candlekeep is a prominent place for Deneir (as is Cormyr and Sembia) points to Deneir having at least some Netherese connection since the Western Heartlands were first settled by the Netherese.

I'm still sticking with Candlekeep being an outpost of Netheril, given that Netheril's actually control of the Western Heartlands was only as far as the Backlands.

It also seems sensible for one of the largest and most secure repositories of mundane and magical knowledge to also contain a few of the lost Nether Scrolls (it also explains the very strong ties to the weave that Larloch tried to consume).

Archsorcerer Torth died messing around with the wards of Candlekeep (probably creating them) so I think his death signified his merging with the weave and being bound to Candlekeep, then his whisperings to those nearby made people think he was a god. Belief begets divinity (with a little hidden extra) and so he becomes a god and a church is established beginning with candlekeep.

Now the chondathans settled Cormyr first from Impiltur, and these wouldn't have had Deneir and his teachings with them initially, but the chondathans from the Dragon Coast brought it to them and the orthodox Church of Deneir is most strong in Cormyr.

Deneir's Church also spread back into the Vilhon Reach as civilisation returned, and so when Chondath colonised Sembia it brought Deneir's church their as well (much removed from the one around the Dragon Coast). And that's the beginning of the schism between orthodox and non orthodox (amplified by missing heads of the church in recent years).

It is odd that Oghma is an illuskan deity originally, but probably has something to do with ancient Illusk and giantish influence from Tuern and Gundarlun. It is likely that Deneir's similarity to Oghma brought about some kind of clerical conflict which resulted in Deneir becoming subservient to Oghma, but it would seem that the Illuskan faiths were much more militant and so dominated their netherese, and jhaam analogues, either absorbing them or dominating them.

I think after Netheril I might work a bit on the Vilhon Reach after -255 DR, there is almost no information at all but it seems a very important gap in history as it involves the birth of the faerunian pantheon and the dark three and the dawn cataclysm.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2015 :  16:54:02  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The things you find when you dig.

I just noted a date in my archive relating to the fall of ooltul which I have as -350 dr.
I need to figure it out because ooltul is part of xun qoroth which exists beneath the survivor states and is one reason I have for the slower spread of the desert.

However the lore for ooltul states it fell when phaerimm from myth drannor arrived who sought to breach the Sharn wall using anti magic rays.
The problem is that the Sharn wall didn't come into existence until after that date and so did myth drannor.

So I'm moving the date of ooltuls fall to 350 dr.
The phaerimm fled to the myth drannan area around the time the orcs of vastar attacked cormanthor

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page