Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 New Dessarin Valley hexmap by Mike Schley
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2015 :  04:16:20  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've extracted a reasonable resolution version of the regional hexmap from the D&D Adventurers League version of Princes of the Apocalypse. Mike Schley has done a great job again: http://my-realms.blogspot.com/2015/03/princes-of-apocalypse-dessarin-valley.html

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2015 :  04:44:37  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beautiful... but I note "Womford."

Very cool to see it (and Westwood!) on a new map, though. And it is purty.
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2015 :  08:04:18  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

Beautiful... but I note "Womford."

Very cool to see it (and Westwood!) on a new map, though. And it is purty.

What's wrong with "Womford"?

Edit: Scratch that. I thought THO had confirmed that "Womford" was correct. My mistake. She confirmed it was supposed to be "Wormford".

Cheers
D

Edited by - Derulbaskul on 18 Mar 2015 08:07:07
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2015 :  13:25:51  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks great! I've seen a lot I'm going to like about this module, even if running it isn't on the charts for me.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2015 :  13:27:14  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking good!

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2015 :  04:54:51  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree the map looks good. It does seem strange that this sort of local area map is not oriented to a regional map like that given in Lost Mine of Phandelver or Hoard of the Dragon Queen.

Intentional oversight do you think?

Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2015 :  20:28:04  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbitfan

I agree the map looks good. It does seem strange that this sort of local area map is not oriented to a regional map like that given in Lost Mine of Phandelver or Hoard of the Dragon Queen.

I don't understand your question.

That is the regional map and it even overlaps in a small way with the regional map in Lost of Mine of Phandelver that you mention.

Am I missing something?

Cheers
D

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2015 :  17:22:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmmm...

It looks VERY familiar. Almost as if someone with more artistic talent used one of my (unreleased) maps for accuracy. Several corrections I made (from old canon maps) even appear on it - for example, "Lance Rock" was misnamed on old maps 'Larch Rock'.

I had a dream once where I would do preliminary maps that would get the 'Schley' touch. Now that (I think) thats happened, I'm not really sure how I feel. I never did them for anything other then the fan-base, but a little nod in my direction wouldn't hurt, either.

Regardless, Mike Schley did a bang-up job, just like he always does, and I am enjoying his work.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Apr 2015 17:23:27
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2015 :  17:29:32  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Derulbaskul

quote:
Originally posted by hobbitfan

I don't understand your question.

That is the regional map and it even overlaps in a small way with the regional map in Lost of Mine of Phandelver that you mention.

Am I missing something?

I think that it may be part of something that will be eventually released. I think thats what hobbitfan meant - it doesn't 'go' with anything (yet). I am no longer 'in the loop' (not that I ever saw the whole loop in the 1st place LOL), but I think something that was promised is going to see print, and we have something very much to look forward to.

I don't think I am spilling any beans here, but stop and think a moment. Ed has recently made a digital initiative on the Internet (The 'Edverse'), and we know that WotC is now farming its projects out. Think long and hard about that, and about what that might mean.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2015 :  19:41:01  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice hint there, Markustay. I live in hope that means something from Ed....

BTW, I've updated the post with more maps from Pinterest. I think I have the full set there now in a decent resolution even if they're not as good as the ones you can actually buy.

Cheers
D

Go to Top of Page

Lord Kristivas
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2015 :  05:52:24  Show Profile Send Lord Kristivas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone else notice how the distances and the map don't line up by a wide margin? Mild spoilers ahead.

For instance, the Dellmon Ranch is supposed to be "a few hours" from the Anderil's Farm. According to the map, almost 30 miles.

The "Shallow Graves" are supposed to be located "have appeared on a windswept hilltop in the Sumber Hills, a few miles outside of town."

ALmost 40 miles. I don't see a shepherd grazing his flock 40 freakin' miles outside of town, then being a regular in the barber shop.
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2015 :  16:27:59  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Kristivas

Anyone else notice how the distances and the map don't line up by a wide margin? Mild spoilers ahead.

For instance, the Dellmon Ranch is supposed to be "a few hours" from the Anderil's Farm. According to the map, almost 30 miles.

The "Shallow Graves" are supposed to be located "have appeared on a windswept hilltop in the Sumber Hills, a few miles outside of town."

ALmost 40 miles. I don't see a shepherd grazing his flock 40 freakin' miles outside of town, then being a regular in the barber shop.

At least one fan has done a lot of work to try and reconcile all the errors caused by the map scale... and the fact that is appears the designer had a different map to work from.

I know there is a post on the WotC boards but I cannot access them right now. I'll try and remember to track down the links and post them here... but consider that a Sage-like commitment.

Cheers
D

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2015 :  15:51:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
People don't seem to comprehend the shear SIZE of the Realms. The authors are terrible at it, and the designers (some, anyway) are only slightly better at it.

For example, I recently discovered you could fit the whole of England into The High Forest. Seriously.

Nentir Vale campaign? Looks fairly large, right? You can squeeze that right in between The High Forest and The High Moor (which on the canon FR maps looks quite small... because it is).

The entirety of Ansalon (Dragonlance) could fit in the Shining South. The entirety of the original Dark Sun campaign could fit in the Raurin Desert.

One of our most beloved authors (noted for her detail to keeping ALL the lore consistent) has characters crossing hundreds of miles in a few hours in one novel.

Bottom Line: The Realms are FREAKIN' HUGE, and in MANY CASES (and ALL editions) those kinds of mistakes have crept in. Not only are Torillians healthier and longer-lived (then anyone in the Middle Ages, and even compared to our modern times), but they apparently have MUCH better horses and can walk incredible distances themselves. Abeir-Toril is a planet full of Olympic cross-country runners!

So just use your imagination, and chalk it up to 'people of the Realms are very similar to Earth Humans... but AREN'T Earth Humans.' Earth Humans do NOT stand toe-to-toe with 100-ton intelligent, flying lizards, fire-breathing lizards and win. Torillians are like demi-gods compared to us.

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Aug 2015 01:15:59
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2015 :  23:52:30  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay (snip)For example, I recently discovered you could fit the whole of England into The High Forest. Seriously. (snip)

I come from Australia: We have bushfires bigger than England. But I know what you mean.

It's actually a lot like Oz in that very few people realise how large it really is. (Oz is basically the same size as the contiguous USA... but with only about 25 million people. And some of our bushfires do grow larger than many European countries.)

Cheers
D

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2015 :  07:39:50  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the old 1st edition grey boxset theres a page with a map of the lower 48 US states and a map of Faerun.

If you lined Seattle up with where Luskan is
San Diego would be around where Daggerford is
Washington DC would be near Zhentil Keep
and Miami would be near Scardale

Oddly enough this map seems to be one FR map that hant been put up on the Internet yet

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2015 :  15:49:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did something similar with one of my Timezones Map. You can see that Osse is WAY bigger then Oz.

I was also looking into using Pangea as a setting, and I noticed that the theorized Pangea continent looks a LOT like The Realms. Then I noticed that if we extrapolate the positions of the modern continents on that map, Ed's house fell out precisely where Shadowdale does.

I mentioned that to him, and his only response (with a big smile) was, "so it does... so it does".

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Aug 2015 15:50:30
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000