Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Vengeance of the Iron Dwarf. Spoilers!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Schreckstoff
Seeker

53 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2015 :  20:48:44  Show Profile Send Schreckstoff a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DandelionClock

Hm, last we've seen him was in the Underdark, where he remained to exact revenge. Until then, his story was pretty much covered.
Do you think in-story-wise, he left the Underdark already?
Because with the CotH heading for Gauntlgrym, Artemis having stayed behind there, Dahlia still there, Effron gods-know-where after Beniago picked him up.... and "The Archmage" (Gromph I guess)... I guess the next story unfolds mainly underground.

And that we'll meet them all again there.

PS: By "covered", I mean we know where he was, not that we've been told much about it.

Does he even know she still lives?`

We know Effron does know, but even if they were to meet I doubt Entreri would venture into the Underdark to save her. As much as he desired to, the Underdark wasn't his turf after all.

Complete Drizzt Saga - Check
In love with Farideh's Saga - Check
Disappointed at Erevis' Saga's apparent end - Check
Go to Top of Page

DandelionClock
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2015 :  21:50:44  Show Profile Send DandelionClock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Entreri doesn't know, unless he runs into someone who tells him. Jarlaxle has people looking for Entreri, as is mentioned in a dialogue between him and Kimmuriel (not in ths book, I think, but in RotK).

And didn't Entreri just venture into the underdark willingly the last time we saw him, to kill more of their captors? He killed that priestess who wasn't only involved in their capture, but also abused him the first time he stayed in Menzo.

I guess more than anything else I am just impatient, and worried he and the other characters whose story line is unresolved so far just dissapear out of the story for a few books. I want them all tied up nicely. I mean, narration wise, of course!
Go to Top of Page

Schreckstoff
Seeker

53 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2015 :  22:53:18  Show Profile Send Schreckstoff a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Entreri doesn't know, unless he runs into someone who tells him. Jarlaxle has people looking for Entreri, as is mentioned in a dialogue between him and Kimmuriel (not in ths book, I think, but in RotK).

And didn't Entreri just venture into the underdark willingly the last time we saw him, to kill more of their captors? He killed that priestess who wasn't only involved in their capture, but also abused him the first time he stayed in Menzo.

I guess more than anything else I am just impatient, and worried he and the other characters whose story line is unresolved so far just dissapear out of the story for a few books. I want them all tied up nicely. I mean, narration wise, of course!

He went to Gauntlgrym to kill her a place he's been to multiple times already and was in complete disarray at the time, incomparable to traveling to Menzoberranzan to get out Dahlia.

Only way would be with Gromnph's blessing, maybe it's part of his plan to shame Quenthel and subsequently Lolth but alas do we even want Dahlia saved, she tried to kill Cattie-Brie.

Edited by - Schreckstoff on 17 Mar 2015 22:54:47
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2015 :  09:08:09  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Schreckstoff

Cattie-Brie titled, in that very book by the narrator, chosen of goddess Mielikki, doesn't know it wasn't the work of her goddess?
Well, in RAS' books the only deity with the slightest inkling of what's going on with the mortal world is Lolth.

To the point where the minions of Lolth are actually telling the clergy of Gruumsh and Thrym what their respective deities want from them with neither Gruumsh nor Thrym bothering to tell their followers that something is not right. Again as opposed to Lolth who seems to even tell her priestesses whether their shoes match their dresses

Edited by - Mirtek on 18 Mar 2015 09:09:43
Go to Top of Page

Ryld
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2015 :  03:09:56  Show Profile Send Ryld a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Entreri's Dagger is lying in a gutter right now.
Go to Top of Page

Ryld
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2015 :  03:19:03  Show Profile Send Ryld a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Loth's worshipers would kill each other over night if she didn't guide them. No worship no power.
Go to Top of Page

Ryld
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2015 :  03:22:33  Show Profile Send Ryld a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Merrith

quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

I agree. Catti-brie, at least, should have noticed. She should have felt the absence of Mielikki's power in thatdisplay.

Who's to say it wasn't all part of Mielikki's plan though? I know Jarlaxle and his extended...I don't know if friends/allies is the right word...are sort of being portrayed as separate or against the machinations of the gods, but with all of the contradictions Lloth has brought into play over Drizzt being such a contested individual for her, I see no reason why Mielikki couldn't have feints in play that wouldn't make sense at face value.

Go to Top of Page

Ryld
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2015 :  03:34:34  Show Profile Send Ryld a Private Message  Reply with Quote
People are pissed off with Drizzt because of Duke tiago using the do'urden name, him being a spy for the DE etc. Gromph's spell would have helped to restore his good name, he removed the darkening. If i was Catti-brie and knew it wasn't Mielikki id stay quiet and go along with it for Drizzt.

Just a guess.
Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2015 :  02:24:01  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me, the most interesting characters are not named Drizz't whatsoever.

The machinations of the drow, particularly Gromph, Jarlaxle, Kimmuriel; even the 'in-over-there-head' drow of Tiago, Ravin, and Saribel are far, far more interesting that RAS longstanding protagonists.

I will say, however, that Bruenor is far more interesting as a dwarf of vision, than a simple orc splitting warrior yelling 'bah' for much of his publishing history. His return has finally marked him as a character I enjoy reading about-something that has not happened for a long, long time.

Same with Regis; although, the build up he had as Spider Paraffin seems to not really matter that much once he's back amongst the Companions. When he was truly Spider, there seemed to be no one that would mess with him (re: The Companions novel). But with his old friends, he still seems to always be saved. At least the end of this book seemed to reverse that, and even Wulfgar came to understand and believe this too. I could see those 2 taking off and leaving the family trio to their own devices. Especially if a certain Knight of Silver joins their duo.

Catt-brie? Boring as all hell. A weak character built up by all the toys she finds to make her useful (spellplague scars of power, super elemental ring, a robe of archmage? Please). Bore-ring. No personality; she simpers and coos for Drizz't in the background, but is always able to provide a deux ex machina.

Speaking of ex machina...Drizz't himself. I'm so bored of him. Invincible, untouchable, blah blah blah amazing fast. Whatever. I was hoping Tiago would meet him, beat him, steal his weapons or gear, wreck some of it, and humiliate him. He's even like Legolas from 'The Hobbit' movies. The scene of him riding the shield down, flipping in the air, skiing on the shield to not get wet made me put the book down. RAS is fan-ficing his own work with junk like that.

Manipulations of the drow, the dwarves rising on their own as their own peoples, the side characters of Doum'wielle's struggles, To'sun's failures, seeing Sinnafein, and all the other factions? I'll say; RAS does some great writing here.

But his hero needs to find a path.

That's my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2015 :  04:38:29  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Renin
The machinations of the drow, particularly Gromph, Jarlaxle, Kimmuriel; even the 'in-over-there-head' drow of Tiago, Ravin, and Saribel are far, far more interesting that RAS longstanding protagonists.....

...Manipulations of the drow, the dwarves rising on their own as their own peoples, the side characters of Doum'wielle's struggles, To'sun's failures, seeing Sinnafein, and all the other factions? I'll say; RAS does some great writing here.

I agree with you. Regarding the drow, I especially like the relationship dynamic between Tiago, Ravin & Saribel.

Among the other side characters, I'm looking forward most of all to finding out what happens to Doum'wielle & Sinnafein.

Regarding Catt-Brie: according to a recent podcast, RAS based her on his wife, so I guess he had to play it safe! Just imagine if he'd said that he based the character of Dahlia on his wife....
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2015 :  21:23:53  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenN

Regarding Catt-Brie: according to a recent podcast, RAS based her on his wife, so I guess he had to play it safe! Just imagine if he'd said that he based the character of Dahlia on his wife....

OK, first off, if you've ever met his wife Diane, she's blonde!

But more importantly, she's got a helluva sense of humor, too. Cat strikes me as too serious too much of the time.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2015 :  22:18:02  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

quote:
Originally posted by BenN

OK, first off, if you've ever met his wife Diane, she's blonde!

But more importantly, she's got a helluva sense of humor, too. Cat strikes me as too serious too much of the time.

No, I haven't met her, but the podcast was an interview with him. Just sayin'.
Go to Top of Page

Schreckstoff
Seeker

53 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2015 :  14:52:59  Show Profile Send Schreckstoff a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Renin

For me, the most interesting characters are not named Drizz't whatsoever.

The machinations of the drow, particularly Gromph, Jarlaxle, Kimmuriel; even the 'in-over-there-head' drow of Tiago, Ravin, and Saribel are far, far more interesting that RAS longstanding protagonists.

I will say, however, that Bruenor is far more interesting as a dwarf of vision, than a simple orc splitting warrior yelling 'bah' for much of his publishing history. His return has finally marked him as a character I enjoy reading about-something that has not happened for a long, long time.

Same with Regis; although, the build up he had as Spider Paraffin seems to not really matter that much once he's back amongst the Companions. When he was truly Spider, there seemed to be no one that would mess with him (re: The Companions novel). But with his old friends, he still seems to always be saved. At least the end of this book seemed to reverse that, and even Wulfgar came to understand and believe this too. I could see those 2 taking off and leaving the family trio to their own devices. Especially if a certain Knight of Silver joins their duo.

Catt-brie? Boring as all hell. A weak character built up by all the toys she finds to make her useful (spellplague scars of power, super elemental ring, a robe of archmage? Please). Bore-ring. No personality; she simpers and coos for Drizz't in the background, but is always able to provide a deux ex machina.

Speaking of ex machina...Drizz't himself. I'm so bored of him. Invincible, untouchable, blah blah blah amazing fast. Whatever. I was hoping Tiago would meet him, beat him, steal his weapons or gear, wreck some of it, and humiliate him. He's even like Legolas from 'The Hobbit' movies. The scene of him riding the shield down, flipping in the air, skiing on the shield to not get wet made me put the book down. RAS is fan-ficing his own work with junk like that.

Manipulations of the drow, the dwarves rising on their own as their own peoples, the side characters of Doum'wielle's struggles, To'sun's failures, seeing Sinnafein, and all the other factions? I'll say; RAS does some great writing here.

But his hero needs to find a path.

That's my opinion.

Sounds like character hate/bias to me, Regis easily had more Dei Ex Machina than Cattie but you seem to welcome that.

The old guard scheming of Drow is as intriguing as ever but also par for the course already, the new generation is disappointing though none of them is even on the level of Pharaun.

Wulfgar and Regis are a great pair and they seem more detached from the tight knit group that is Bruenor, Cattie and Drizzt so I could see them traveling just by themselves as well.

Cattie Brie becoming a mage has been long foreshadowed, close to a decade already and she doesn't have any more magical items than any of the rest of the companions. Nonetheless I'd be interested why she got Mystra's spellscar.

Drizzt is far from invincible he's probably one of the most often running away from a fight main characters in Faerun. He even had to resort to tricks against Tiago instead of slaughtering him and his acts don't seem to stand that out compared to other drow, especially if you consider his magical ankles. What's so weird on surfing the shield, it might be corny but it's hardly an impossible task. Heck a real life human could probably pull it off if he tried enough.
Legolas in the Hobbit outright defies gravity to an extent that he's flying.

Also Drizzt found his path at the end of Sojourn and we've been reading about his struggles along it since.

Go to Top of Page

DandelionClock
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2015 :  22:35:21  Show Profile Send DandelionClock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Schreckstoff

quote:

Hm, last we've seen him was in the Underdark, where he remained to exact revenge. Until then, his story was pretty much covered.
Do you think in-story-wise, he left the Underdark already?
Because with the CotH heading for Gauntlgrym, Artemis having stayed behind there, Dahlia still there, Effron gods-know-where after Beniago picked him up.... and "The Archmage" (Gromph I guess)... I guess the next story unfolds mainly underground.

And that we'll meet them all again there.

PS: By "covered", I mean we know where he was, not that we've been told much about it.

Does he even know she still lives?`

We know Effron does know, but even if they were to meet I doubt Entreri would venture into the Underdark to save her. As much as he desired to, the Underdark wasn't his turf after all.

PS: Last we saw him, Effron didn't know, either. Quite the contrary.

What I'd find interesting to read: The companions realizing how much their outlooks have changed and that as much as they're happy to be united, and as much as history repeats itself, they're a bit estranged after all. This one was a lot more an action book than a character study, but it's been hinted at - Drizzt's inner conflict about Cattie-Brie's harsher stance (The babies' room?) - the Companions as a whole, with the exception of Regis of all people, not being quite comfortable with some of the people Drizzt has teamed up with in his recent past; Regis being more homesick for his second life sometimes than for his first one... etc pp. As in, yeah, here's the old team back, but you can't continue where you stopped last time. That would be interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Schreckstoff
Seeker

53 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2015 :  10:49:32  Show Profile Send Schreckstoff a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

PS: Last we saw him, Effron didn't know, either. Quite the contrary.

Didn't Drizzt tell Effron she died and then he met Beniago who told him she lives?

Go to Top of Page

DandelionClock
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2015 :  10:56:47  Show Profile Send DandelionClock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, Beniago told him he was getting Effron across the Sea of Stars, on Jarlaxle's behalf, to meet up with Ambergris and Affafrenfere.

He never mentioned Dahlia's alive.

Jarlaxle also mentioned, later in the book when they're at the monastery, he was waiting for news of Effron, to Affafrenfere and Ambergris, but never followed up. That's when they learned Effron was still alive.

Book-officially, no one outside Menzo -none on the good side- seem to know she's still alive, or whatever you'd call that state.

Edited by - DandelionClock on 13 Apr 2015 10:58:43
Go to Top of Page

Schreckstoff
Seeker

53 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2015 :  13:55:50  Show Profile Send Schreckstoff a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No, Beniago told him he was getting Effron across the Sea of Stars, on Jarlaxle's behalf, to meet up with Ambergris and Affafrenfere.

He never mentioned Dahlia's alive.

Jarlaxle also mentioned, later in the book when they're at the monastery, he was waiting for news of Effron, to Affafrenfere and Ambergris, but never followed up. That's when they learned Effron was still alive.

Book-officially, no one outside Menzo -none on the good side- seem to know she's still alive, or whatever you'd call that state.

You remember it better than I do then. I assumed RAS was setting up a spin off book or two but that doesn't seem likely now, which I'd be glad for.

Did I mention how great Ambergris and Afafrenfere are, editors must hate his name btw, and I want to know what Athrogate talked about with his king, he seems to have been banished for not returning.
Yet it didn't seem like he made complete peace with it even after joining Bregan D'aerthe and approaching the 500 years.

Go to Top of Page

DandelionClock
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2015 :  19:53:15  Show Profile Send DandelionClock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd prefer the remaining open ended stories of the whole lot be resolved, to a degree, in the Archmage. :) I don't see a spin off (of Ambergris and Afafrenfere and Effron) anymore. After the Night of the Hunter? Possibly so. But they seem to be in such different places now. Afafrenfere should be in good graces with his monastery again, Entreri's back to lone wolf mode, Ambergris has been seen with Athrogate a lot, and wasn't too keen on staying in the monastery if I remember correctly, and God knows where Effron's turning up, and if - and he was only trying to catch up because he thought of them as "looking for a better way" and searching characters like him, which apparently they stopped being in his absence. Afafrenfere certainly seems to have redeemed himself officially and found his place.

It's a bit sad, I actually had started to find them interesting *after* the Last Threshold. I'd hate for them to dissapear or become entirely cameo-characters.
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2015 :  20:34:50  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally got around to reading this book.

It was a nice read, but I didn't find it anything special.

My favorite parts of the book were Gromph, Kimmuriel and Jarlaxle's machinations. The other drow just felt boring because they were acting like idiots. Tos'un and Doum'wielle were the worst of the bunch and I was glad when Tos'un died because it meant not seeing him again. He was a lot more interesting when he was on a path to redemption than when he went back to his old ways for no real good reason. Which leads into the worse (but expected) part of the book: the end of the Kingdom of Many-Arrows. Obould was a fantastic character. Hartusk went back to the boring "Me stupid, me get manipulated by drow, me end up dead, oops". Yet another good thing in the Realms that got axed in their crusade to make part of their fanbase forget about 4E, while ignoring the other part of the fanbase that liked these things.

Regis is starting to get boring because I feel the other companions just overshadow him. Wulfgar was also underwhelming in this one. I think both him and Regis need their own storyline to explore. Cattie-Brie was really off-putting in this novel. This character really needs more independence because her whole existence revolves around Drizzt. Drizzt himself was still fun in this book, but I didn't like that we only saw him musing about his misgivings about Mielikki in the diary parts. Other than that we only saw a hint of this when he prevented the dwarfs from torturing the orc prisoner.

Of all the companions, Bruenor was the most interesting in this book. He was actually displaying wisdom in this one instead of being a blind idiot. I didn't like the end result of the campaign, but I loved Bruenor. Though, I find it strange that the mortal injury he received at the bridge was never talked about again. Bruenor is looking like a Chosen too these days, and instead of easily dispatching the idiot Hartusk, a return of the original Obould to have a showdown with the powered up Bruenor would have been a much more interesting fight to see.

Concerning all the other minor characters in the book, I wish we could have seen more of them. Would be nice to know about Arthrogate's past instead of getting more hints about it that really don't tell us much. On the other hand, I think Afafrenfere is getting too powerful too quickly.

I hope the Archmage is more interesting to read.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2015 :  20:41:46  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree about Tos' un, though I wish he hadn't died. Killing him just seemed a cheap way of getting rid of him. I liked it when he was on the road to redemption, and then, like you said, for no real reason, he goes back to being "drow". It just seems like another cheap way of saying "all drow are evil except Drizzt", when this is clearly not the case. I got my hopes up about Tos' un.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2015 :  01:39:22  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

I agree about Tos' un, though I wish he hadn't died. Killing him just seemed a cheap way of getting rid of him. I liked it when he was on the road to redemption, and then, like you said, for no real reason, he goes back to being "drow". It just seems like another cheap way of saying "all drow are evil except Drizzt", when this is clearly not the case. I got my hopes up about Tos' un.

I also agree about Tos'un, and I liked him in that he wasn't as goody-goody as Drizzt is. He definitely had some moral ambiguities to him, which made him an interesting character.
Go to Top of Page

Schreckstoff
Seeker

53 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2015 :  02:27:54  Show Profile Send Schreckstoff a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The worst part is that Drizzt and Tos'un, didn't have a proper confrontation. Drizzt knows of his family, he mentions it in the prologue to the orc king.

Well maybe it's for the better since he'd chase after Doum'wielle if he had.

Go to Top of Page

DandelionClock
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2015 :  20:19:27  Show Profile Send DandelionClock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After reading "Cutter", I am not sure he'd not just feel terribly sorry for her.
I really hope they don't set her up as another Ellifain, seeing she seems to want to get revenge for her father on him, for some reason.
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2015 :  00:51:56  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's always possible that Cutter is manipulating her so it can get closer to Drizzt, in another attempt to get Drizzt to wield it.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Schreckstoff
Seeker

53 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2015 :  11:11:14  Show Profile Send Schreckstoff a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

After reading "Cutter", I am not sure he'd not just feel terribly sorry for her.
I really hope they don't set her up as another Ellifain, seeing she seems to want to get revenge for her father on him, for some reason.

I liked that fight but at the same time the whole ordeal made no sense to me. Why was Tos'Un even there, he never seemed like a particular remarkable Drow and he really should have bailed the moment he realized he had to confront Drizzt again.

Doum'wielles incapability, and reluctance, to escape Khazid'hea was just annoying after the umpteenth time and just made me not care for her at all.

Also makes me wonder what Tos'Un told her what Drow were like.

Go to Top of Page

Count Roland
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2015 :  12:47:36  Show Profile Send Count Roland a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like Tiago and his magic weapons - his interaction with his dragon and the captive was cruel but in character. I'd love to read a Tiago and Ryld Argith (the Drow Great Sword Master in the War of the Spider Queen Books) adventure. It could be an anti-hero adventure above ground that involved magic disguise/ polymorph and some long convoluted quest that involved them killing a lot of paladins, wizards, clerics. They could throw in Artemis Entritri in there somewhere as an ally or foe too. (this would be impossible as Ryld Argith was killed - and Tiago will soon likely be killed in the next book.)

I like Wulfgar and his hammer throwing and I appreciate the nice touches- like his +5 hammer is unhindered by a protection from missiles spell a Drow wizard cast. Catti has a low wisdom score and thus makes an assumption on the Dark Cloud Clearing Act of Drittz - She might be able to tell if she did a priest action to find out but she was so awed her own favoring ideal duped her to think it was her nature god and not Gromph. I further your sweetie-girl souring on Catti - she is a dull character these days. I was touched with the truly sweet interactions with her new parents in the sands and I liked her wizard training stories but of late she is flat and sans a questioning heart in her breast- in the character sense only.

I also question the alignment chart on these dwarf want to torture guys. They have to be Lawful evil or maybe neutral any kind of Good aligned character can not torture a captive. "Marines don't torture or kill prisoners." So, I think in this case he is like a drow that went good ala a dwarf that went evil. His Dwarf King who approves to do pain quiz the on orc is Lawful Neutral at best- even if the Orc is evil by nature.

Speaking of evil. Back 20-30 years ago R. A. Slavatore would never even hint at a threesome rape.The culture of the USA has changed for the worse and allows him to write this and still get this in elementary school libraries. Now he eludes to a male drow-demon-female act who have cruel or at least unwanted intercourse with the frightened female character Doum'wielles(?) . And yes for the record I do skip and skim over parts of books like RR martin when he enacts sickening violence in his books. It disgusts me and makes me reflect that some writers never really experienced raw terrible screaming in agony violence except perhaps on TV. I still have not and will never watch some war movies that everyone says are great- and even got a bit hyper watching the rather tame beginning of the Wolverine and Sabertooth movie that goes from the Civil to the Vietnam War. Overall - I am not upset at Bob for putting that in there- I guess it would be something in character for evil Tiago to say and do in a fantasy setting where it is possible to act on. But, I am noting R.A. has expanded his writing to use rape and the results of rape=Effron as a whole huge theme I'd be pleased he declined to explore.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2015 :  16:02:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Count Roland

Speaking of evil. Back 20-30 years ago R. A. Slavatore would never even hint at a threesome rape.The culture of the USA has changed for the worse and allows him to write this and still get this in elementary school libraries.

I wouldn't say US culture has changed for the worst, as much as it has gotten more realistic about certain issues. In some areas, US culture has definitely improved.

Keep in mind that 20-30 years ago, TSR had its ridiculous Code of Ethics that had to apply to all books, which meant that bad guys had to somehow be a threat and yet wholly incapable of achieving even modest goals. That code drove what TSR printed a lot more than anything else, and it was all due to the ridiculous "D&D is evil!" craze of the 80s.

And I seriously doubt this or any other book by WotC is in elementary school libraries. That's not WotC's target audience, and most schools keep more age-appropriate material on hand, anyway.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2015 :  01:55:15  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm torn about this issue. On the one hand, I too have trouble reading about graphic rape or watching gruesome violence, but I also am glad WotC is now allowing for those issues to be expressed, because we can't pretend they don't happen. So I think there is a striking balance. Writers can allude to them, without being overly graphic.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2015 :  03:58:41  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't understand a particular aversion to rape in stories that also regularly feature dashing and bashing, slicing and dicing, hacking and slashing, and eviscerating and decapitating. Violence is violence. Evil is evil.

On a side note, a party of gnolls suggested rape as their intentions for human females way back in the novel Sojourn, as did goblins with Catti-brie in Sea of Swords. So Alegni and Tiago were hardly the first would-be rapists in RAS stories.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2015 :  19:32:44  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

I can't understand a particular aversion to rape in stories that also regularly feature dashing and bashing, slicing and dicing, hacking and slashing, and eviscerating and decapitating. Violence is violence. Evil is evil.

On a side note, a party of gnolls suggested rape as their intentions for human females way back in the novel Sojourn, as did goblins with Catti-brie in Sea of Swords. So Alegni and Tiago were hardly the first would-be rapists in RAS stories.

I think that there exists that particular aversion because in our society, rape victims are a lot more common than victims of "dashing and bashing, slicing and dicing, hacking and slashing and eviscerating and decapitating". ;P It's all a matter of what content is triggering to the audience.

That being said, I agree with the sentiment that you expressed.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000