Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Edverse has returned
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2015 :  17:56:30  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
As per title, with many new projects by Ed and others. There's a lot of stuff, but the link to a general overview of what's new is:

http://edverse.officeedgreenwood.com/

However, one thing that should be noted is:

http://realmssecretariat.com/ and in particular http://realmssecretariat.com/unofficial-history/.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2015 :  18:38:42  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you sir!

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2015 :  18:55:13  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was wondering what would happen with realmssecretariat. There was supposed to be a version of Under Illefarn Anew on there but I don't see it.

Though maybe that's a good thing...

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2015 :  20:26:52  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm really intrigued by this.

The "Unofficial history of FR" is particularly compelling.

Another thing that popped out was the "All is Lust" idea with THO. It made me wonder if it's more of a collection of "real life" snapshots of flirting playfulness, or if it it's more about lusty fictional characters (for example, Alustriel's romps in Silverymoon). If it's the former, might be a little bit TMI for some people given how people already give Ed grief about sexuality in the Realms. Interesting idea, though, either way.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2015 :  22:01:12  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The gist that I got from this (rightly or wrongly) is that this is strictly for non-Realms material. If this means, in turn, that Ed will concentrate on non-Realms projects from now on, I would be a sad panda. Hope it ain't so.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2015 :  22:25:37  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There will be a range of Realms and non-Realms material. I know that Ed plans to do a series of Blog posts about the Realms starting soon.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2015 :  22:38:27  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

There will be a range of Realms and non-Realms material. I know that Ed plans to do a series of Blog posts about the Realms starting soon.

-- George Krashos

Is that the unofficial history of the Realms, or something else?

Edited by - Irennan on 02 Mar 2015 22:38:53
Go to Top of Page

daarkknight
Seeker

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2015 :  00:23:43  Show Profile Send daarkknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This might be the most excited I've been about the Realms in a long time. And I realize that much of this will involve other projects non-Realms related. But the opportunity to see so many of my favorite designers (and old hands like Krash) working together again really is exciting!

"That's it!"
Quote attributed to Talor Stormhammer, paladin of Helm, when fighting a frost giant.
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2015 :  01:16:15  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenN

The gist that I got from this (rightly or wrongly) is that this is strictly for non-Realms material. If this means, in turn, that Ed will concentrate on non-Realms projects from now on, I would be a sad panda. Hope it ain't so.

He did say that he already has another FR book that he's working on after Spellstorm.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2015 :  02:37:10  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm wondering what this news will mean in regards to Ed working on 5E Realms stuff.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2015 :  08:10:27  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My new aim in life is to get my name on the list of Grognards before I die. I realise it is likely impossible but it is important to aim high otherwise if you set your goals too low you run the risk of underachieving them.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2015 :  09:27:02  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Is that the unofficial history of the Realms, or something else?

I assume that the Unofficial History is what Ed was referring to. But I did send through something the other day which might be one of the first "fan contributions".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2015 :  09:30:24  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

My new aim in life is to get my name on the list of Grognards before I die. I realise it is likely impossible but it is important to aim high otherwise if you set your goals too low you run the risk of underachieving them.

Well, it only took me 20 or so years, so hang in there!

I must say I'm honoured and chuffed to be an inaugural "grognard" - although I think Ed should check his sources: a grognard is a "grumbler", made famous by Napoleon's Old Guard because time after time he refused to commit them to battle - which made them quite unhappy.

Now to keep working on my Candlekeep Seminar contribution ...

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2015 :  09:34:22  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is excellent news, looking forward to seeing the Home Campaign's Anchorome, errr a series of islands that have adventures on them for a while now as my players are itching to play in a buckle swashing sea faring privateer/pirate game - sound just the thing!.

What is better though is the 50 years of unofficial lore about the Realms, this is what I had hoped to see in Ed's Guide to the Forgotten Realms, we got glimpses of the home campaign (the old maps and typed up notes etc) but the rest seemed 'tidied up' and corporate and revisions/expansions of previous official published works over the last 25 years or so after TSR bought the Realms Lock Stock and Spellbook from Ed.

Great to see other creatives getting involved, this looks special

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2015 :  09:43:56  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I must say I'm honoured and chuffed to be an inaugural "grognard" - although I think Ed should check his sources: a grognard is a "grumbler", made famous by Napoleon's Old Guard because time after time he refused to commit them to battle - which made them quite unhappy.

-- George Krashos

I have seen the occasional grumble from you George (although it was very skilfully disguised). I think in this case grognard has been reinvented somewhat to mean those devoted to safeguarding the realms, a title for which you definitely qualify.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2015 :  20:22:51  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is anyone else running into a 404 error when trying to enter the Realms secretariat?

EDIT: NVM, it's fine now.

Edited by - Irennan on 14 Mar 2015 23:19:51
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2015 :  06:47:31  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

quote:

-- George Krashos

I have seen the occasional grumble from you George (although it was very skilfully disguised). I think in this case grognard has been reinvented somewhat to mean those devoted to safeguarding the realms, a title for which you definitely qualify.

Or maybe the title applies because TPTB of the Realms are reluctant to unleash the loremasters to work on and release product to their fullest potential, and said loremasters are just scratching to be let loose--which is very similar to Krash's Napoleon example. Ed's blog can be the turn of the key that unlocks another door...

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 15 Mar 2015 07:17:14
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2015 :  09:06:06  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the site is up. With extra goodies.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2015 :  16:55:33  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Including:

Den of Dreams

and

Meet Mirt

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 15 Mar 2015 16:55:47
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2015 :  17:58:46  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The third installment is about Elminster:

http://realmssecretariat.com/unhistory-3/

Edited by - Irennan on 25 Mar 2015 17:58:59
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2015 :  23:58:58  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure about the erotic stuff lol
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2015 :  14:33:25  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arcanus

Why not, Arcanus? I still haven't stumbled into it, over there, yet. But what's questionable about it? Sex is just as real and powerful of a motivator for (in)human behavior as anything else we might think of. Heck, since it's hardwired into our DNA, it's probably a whole heckuvalot stronger of a motivator than a lot of other things we might think of! And it's fun to explore that side of people's thoughts and feelings.

Why is it OK to read/game about chopping limbs off and sending blood spurting into the air; or barbequeing enemies alive in this, that, or the other form of Technicolor energy whats-it; but somehow uncomfortable to bring some erotic titillation or inuendo into the mix?

Pathos, Thanatos, and Êros, my friend!

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2015 :  17:25:50  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

quote:
Originally posted by Arcanus

Why not, Arcanus? I still haven't stumbled into it, over there, yet. But what's questionable about it? Sex is just as real and powerful of a motivator for (in)human behavior as anything else we might think of. Heck, since it's hardwired into our DNA, it's probably a whole heckuvalot stronger of a motivator than a lot of other things we might think of! And it's fun to explore that side of people's thoughts and feelings.

Why is it OK to read/game about chopping limbs off and sending blood spurting into the air; or barbequeing enemies alive in this, that, or the other form of Technicolor energy whats-it; but somehow uncomfortable to bring some erotic titillation or inuendo into the mix?

Pathos, Thanatos, and Êros, my friend!

It's probably because I'm just not used to Ed writing about nookie. It's not something I associate with him.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2015 :  06:39:10  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Episode the 4th is now available:
Very Much Here, Yet Forgotten

The way these articles are written, you can build a reading list of SF stories by reading just a couple of them.

Good stuff too. I had no idea there was originally an in between world aka nexus of gates. That's an idea worth stealing for a D&D campaign right there.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 13 Apr 2015 06:40:23
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2019 :  11:18:24  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi!
Does someone have save the archive of those websites. Is the lore still available somewhere ?
Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2019 :  14:18:42  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go to the Internet Archive (https://archive.org/index.php), and copy in the URL from Grenemyer's post (the one above yours) into the Wayback Machine. You will be able to find some of it, I think, but not all of it.
Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2019 :  02:11:03  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jeremy's link keeps sending me to some redirect to a chrome store. I'm leery of going further for fear of installing some unwanted app.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2019 :  02:38:15  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElfBane

Go to the Internet Archive (https://archive.org/index.php), and copy in the URL from Grenemyer's post (the one above yours) into the Wayback Machine.

Or the easy way: https://web.archive.org/web/*/realmssecretariat.com/* (with JS on), and then just choose via filter box.

quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Jeremy's link keeps sending me to some redirect to a chrome store. I'm leery of going further for fear of installing some unwanted app.

Teh domain is devoured by Goolag.
And if you always visit sites you are told are defunct with JS allowed, you are asking for it, yes.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000