Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 hand crossbow
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2015 :  08:04:17  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
It just bugs me.
Given:
1) Hand crossbows have pistol grip. It's not just illustrations, it also ergonomically doesn't make sense not to on a weapon too small for proper stock and/or used in one hand.
2) Hand crossbows are mainly made by the Drow and even pieces carried by someone else often are referred to as drow [hand] crossbows.
3) Elves are explicitly said to have fingers and hands 1.5x as long as humans. Drow are never said to be anatomically different from the rest in this.
Question: how the Pandemonium does one use the trigger group on a weapon with pistol grip designed for someone with hands and fingers 1.5x longer - without using two hands and the process being no less awkward than tying a string to the trigger and pulling it would be?
And of course, that's average - there are humans with small hands and small demihumans.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2015 :  09:36:10  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You start thinking like that and you might as well be playing under the FATAL system wherein all sorts of rules exist for the specific relative sizes of every body part you can think of. And I do mean EVERY body part *shudders*

It either never crossed anyone's mind or it was ignored for streamlining purposes.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 02 Mar 2015 09:36:48
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2015 :  12:09:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where is it said that elven hands are different?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2015 :  12:59:21  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ditto'ing Wooly's question. Where's it said that elven hands are different? They're actually shorter than humans usually, so if they had longer hands, that would be unusual.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2015 :  13:22:19  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think there's something in Cormanthyr, in a piece of lore dealing with sword grips. An elves in the Realms tend to be human-sized, too.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2015 :  15:49:44  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can post a picture when I get home, but I have a wooden hand crossbow that doesn't have a pistol grip, and it works quite well, even for friends with stubby fingers.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2015 :  09:10:32  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Both Grey Box and AD&D2 FR box include "Their fingers and hands are half-again as long as (men|a human's), and delicately tapered" in the description of elves.
Cormanthyr says "Elves' hands and fingers (and feet and toes) are slim, delicately tapered, and about 50% longer than human hands".

Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2015 :  10:02:20  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I now have an image of elves wearing clown shoes, that I can't get out of my head.....
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2015 :  14:11:52  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can see your points but I reject some of the premises.

1. I think it would work fine to use a modified version of standard crossbow stocks. Cut the stock in half and hollow it out a bit, so that it cradles/grips the forearm. Pistol grips are not used for any other weapon in D&D (except firearms, which don't exist unless the DM says otherwise) and I see no reason why the pistol grip would have been invented just for small crossbows when a serviceable stock design already existed. I think the pistol grip started as artistic license/laziness, and other artists haven't bothered to fix it.

2. Not saying that elves can't engineer anything, because sure they can, but hand crossbows make far more sense to me as a dwarven or gnomish invention. Even if it was a drow idea, it was probably duergar or svirfneblin slaves who did the work and ironed out the bugs. Drow then adopted it, and it's easy to explain surface-dwellers making an association between drow and hand crossbows due to the higher likelihood of surface settlements being attacked by drow than by duergar or svirfneblin.

3. Regardless of who invented it, different races will manufacture it with their own needs in mind. A halfling might have trouble using a hand crossbow which was built for elves, but a halfling who wants one bad enough can make his own.

4. While other elven subtypes are taller, drow use the height/weight numbers in the PH and thus are noticeably smaller than humans. (Races of Faerun, bottom of page 34)

Just my opinion/workaround. YMMV, obviously.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2015 :  15:51:40  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't let things like that bother you in a world where magic, dragons, etc exist.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2015 :  17:07:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Both Grey Box and AD&D2 FR box include "Their fingers and hands are half-again as long as (men|a human's), and delicately tapered" in the description of elves.
Cormanthyr says "Elves' hands and fingers (and feet and toes) are slim, delicately tapered, and about 50% longer than human hands".

Thank you. I was not aware of this lore.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2015 :  17:37:03  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So with those large fingers elves would be good basketball players? I guess being taller would help too.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2015 :  18:23:07  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elven bows would need different grips, too.

Not to mention shortswords, longswords, etc. Which were designed - in much of human history - to accomodate rather thick and heavy gauntlets. Even a pair of leather gloves (of the sort which would actually be useful for protection in combat) can weapons, tools, and pistol-sized triggers more difficult to operate.

And think of dwarven hands. Thick, stocky, strong. How could those pudgy little hamfists possibly use a drow crossbow (one-handed) with any accuracy?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2015 :  19:06:47  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's probably best not to over-think the different sizes and shapes of humans, elven, dwarven, and such hands and the how the tools and weapons are designed for them. Although it certainly explains, exempting size-alteration magic, why armor isn't interchangeable between different sized people, let alone the different character races.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2015 :  21:08:58  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Short fingers really don't factor in much with most types of crossbow triggers. I have long, nimble digits, and my hand crossbow is like a smaller, more blocky version of the English Standard in the linked image. I have a friend who has your classic ham fist hands; short, pudgy fingers, meaty palms, etc. They have to grip the crossbow a little differently, but are just as capable of using it with accuracy as anyone else who takes the time to become proficient.
Crafting a smaller scale version a "normal" crossbow isn't impossible, it just takes know-how. There was a lady from the local SCA chapter at my local renfaire several years ago who sold small hand crossbows. In fact, it's where I got mine. Her hands weren't noticeably nimble, nor were they pudgy, but she crafted some nice, inexpensive crossbows with a wheel and trigger lock, no pistol grip.
They were designed to shoot Nerf darts, but I've found they shoot wooden pencils about 60 feet with enough oomph to pierce an archery target.
I'm far from what I'd call a crossbow expert. I'm barely practiced enough to hit a running cat with a nerf dart, but I really don't understand how a pistol grip is necessary, and the hand crossbow designs pictured aren't any trouble for people with varying finger lengths to use.

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

Edited by - Delwa on 06 Mar 2015 01:23:04
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2015 :  23:37:56  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In some ways I suspect a pistol grip hand bow is a modern invention. That was developed after the hand held pistol was developed. In the Realms it strikes me as odd that the few smoke powder guns that exist that hand cross bows or any other would use a pistol grip.
The pistol handle was designed to help user hold the weapon against recoil, much like the stock of a rifle is designed to handle recoil of a bullet fired.

Arrows or bolts were most likely loosed as shooting something appears more likely occurring. after guns enjoyed wide use.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2015 :  01:16:25  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

In some ways I suspect a pistol grip hand bow is a modern invention. That was developed after the hand held pistol was developed. In the Realms it strikes me as odd that the few smoke powder guns that exist that hand cross bows or any other would use a pistol grip.
The pistol handle was designed to help user hold the weapon against recoil, much like the stock of a rifle is designed to handle recoil of a bullet fired.

Arrows or bolts were most likely loosed as shooting something appears more likely occurring. after guns enjoyed wide use.

I agree. Most medieval crossbows had simple levers to compress that acted as the trigger. (Like the one Joffrey use in GoT)

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2015 :  07:31:53  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

I can see your points but I reject some of the premises.

Those always need looking-into, too.
quote:
1. I think it would work fine to use a modified version of standard crossbow stocks. Cut the stock in half and hollow it out a bit, so that it cradles/grips the forearm.

This seems to describe either bracer mount (which would be viable options, if not without disadvantages) or fist mount a la climbing claws (which also strongly depends on the hand shape).
Either way, not what "hand crossbow" is supposed to be.
quote:
and I see no reason why the pistol grip would have been invented just for small crossbows when a serviceable stock design already existed. I think the pistol grip started as artistic license/laziness, and other artists haven't bothered to fix it.

How much of an innovation it is to fit the angle of bend convenient for the specific movements of an intended user?
quote:
3. Regardless of who invented it, different races will manufacture it with their own needs in mind. A halfling might have trouble using a hand crossbow which was built for elves, but a halfling who wants one bad enough can make his own.

...using materials and design solutions different enough that the result will be rather obviously not of the same make?
My problem here is exactly with the cases of this weapon being called "drow hand crossbow" when used by others.

quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

Short fingers really don't factor in much with most types of crossbow triggers.

Common crossbow designs, yes. But there's a difference. My assumptions are:
1) Hand crossbow's primary purpose is short-range snap shooting at mobile targets and quick reload, as opposed to sparse sighted shooting normal for full-sized crossbows. Those who plan to snipe can jolly well get a stronger weapon - and it will be cheaper, too.
2) Drow have precise mechanics advanced more than enough to make triggers that don't have such hard pull they need a "bike brake" style lever to operate without jostling the whole weapon - especially for relatively weak hand crossbow. What's with those artificial limbs and pneumatic holdouts. And even before drow are involved, the greater cost have to reflect mostly a more complex and compact trigger mechanism - everything else there is just smaller and weaker than in a heavy crossbow.
3) I'm not a crossbow expert, but... It's all about ergonomics.
3.1) The "bike brake" design doesn't look conducive to quick reload, even with better mechanism: shooter have to apply force to the weapon and hold it by the trigger at the same time - or change grip back and forth.
3.2) Conversely, bending handle at a greater angle makes the "apply force" part easier.
3.3) Holding any weapon at too obtuse an angle is not very convenient for quick pointing at anything. While semi-auto pistols with magazine in handle are different, it's the main factor determining the form of revolver handles and e.g. Mauser "Broomhandle". The empirical data we have is: many, many variation of the same simple shapes through the centuries.

How objects are used is what defines ergonomics.
The early pistols tended toward an intermediate slanted/hooked shape - though due to reload time and elements like pan, those were used more as sawn-off muskets/carbines than snap shooting weapons.
Now, a "proper" crossbow is bulky and slow enough to be used like a carbine, but hand crossbow is not - it's both short-ranged and relatively quick to reload.
quote:
and the hand crossbow designs pictured aren't any trouble for people with varying finger lengths to use.

Obviously. But that's just a working copy of larger crossbows before anyone started to optimize it for very different usage.

quote:

1) Not only recoil, but the force applied while arming the bow. Which applies to the weak hand crossbow and pump action firearms, but not to crossbows with reloading mechanisms nor muzzle-loaded firearms - and in those cases the shooter won't want to mantain the grip.
1.1) Conversely, if a crossbow is used with the goat's foot, the force is applied perpendicular to its stock, which makes a more obtuse angle more convenient - for the same reason.
2) It's as much or more about quickly pointing the business end at the target. The pieces with negligible recoil (BB guns) or no recoil (light guns) don't leave the same comfort zone. No matter how "futuristic" look manufacturers may want, in the end the handle is shaped for the hand and any silly-looking random gubbinz invariably end up added to the parts where the user won't have to touch them.
As in, not even trekkies actually want to use something shaped like a shaver to try and shoot stuff. One needs to be noticeably less humanoid than "rubber forehead" for that.

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2015 :  15:18:21  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More good points, but I'm not caving yet.

quote:

This seems to describe either bracer mount (which would be viable options, if not without disadvantages) or fist mount a la climbing claws (which also strongly depends on the hand shape).
Either way, not what "hand crossbow" is supposed to be.

Sorry, I was unclear, but this brings up another tangent. bracer/fist mounts seem like very "drow" innovations to me, and I hadn't considered them before. I agree that they're not hand crossbows, but I think I might like them better. But that wasn't what I meant... I just meant that the standard stock could be trimmed down to where it would provide stability by laying against the forearm rather than interfering with aim by being bulbous like a traditional rifle stock.

quote:

How much of an innovation it is to fit the angle of bend convenient for the specific movements of an intended user?

Well, it's easy to look back and say "that's an easy tweak." Both the different usage and the tweak had to occur to someone with the dissatisfaction, motivation, and engineering ability to accomplish it. In our world, such coincidences have sometimes taken centuries to happen. Some changes catch on and become widespread, many live only as long as their creator and then wait to be accomplished again. I don't have any specific real-world examples, but I'm sure someone who paid more attention in history classes will.

quote:

...using materials and design solutions different enough that the result will be rather obviously not of the same make?
My problem here is exactly with the cases of this weapon being called "drow hand crossbow" when used by others.

The drow part is exactly what I think you're putting too much confidence in.

1. It's just "hand crossbow" in the weapons table on page 117 of the 3.5 PH, and in the picture on pg 118, and in the text description on pg 115... no mention of drow.

2. I guarantee there are dwarves somewhere who are wielding double axes, in spite of the double axe being identified as orc double axe in the PH. On the flipside, there are definitely orcs wielding "dwarven" waraxes and urgroshes. For that matter, urgrosh sounds to me like an orcish name, not a dwarven one.

3. If hand crossbows were being made only by drow, how could this weapon logically appear in the PH? Likewise orcish double axes? Their presence in the PH means that they are available to PCs of any race, limited only by what sorts of weapons their local smithy produces. A PC in Waterdeep can get a hand crossbow, or a double axe, or an urgrosh.

When someone sees a weapon they like, but which is sized or shaped wrong... if they have the motivation and means to make a version for themselves, they do it. Re-engineering a drow hand crossbow for use by humans, for instance, is just a matter of sizing the grip and spacing the trigger properly. Some people still think of it as a drow weapon, for reasons mentioned in an earlier post, but so what? In the case of the "dwarven" waraxe, it's still thought of as a dwarven weapon, due to some combination of dwarves coming up with the design first and more dwarves using them than any other race, but that ultimately means nothing.

In my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2015 :  15:54:00  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still not sure I'm following. If you're looking to fire rapidly, a crossbow, even a hand crossbow, is not the way to go. Regardless of the mechanical method, you still have to draw back and set the bow string, load a bolt, aim, and release.
Even a repeating crossbow is going to be slow compared to the time it takes a foe to cross ground to your position and engage you in melee.
The way I've always read Drow hand crossbows is their primary use is to deliver a potent poison to the target.
Crossbows, hand or no, are historically slow. Their best use is for a single, well aimed shot. They are much more quiet than a pistol, have good range compared to a throwing dart or dagger, and are easier to aim for your average joe when compared to a bow, dagger, or dart.
The bike brake design is fairly simple to use with practice. On my hand crossbow, I turn the wheel back and push the lever down to lock the wheel in place. Then, I pull the string back and set it, placing a dart in the trough, aim by bracing the stock against my forearm, and press the trigger. The trigger takes very little pressure to release, in fact setting the crossbow on the floor would probably set it off if you aren't careful when you set it down.

- Delwa Aunglor

Edited by - Delwa on 06 Mar 2015 16:09:07
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2015 :  04:36:54  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just meant that the standard stock could be trimmed down to where it would provide stability by laying against the forearm rather than interfering with aim by being bulbous like a traditional rifle stock.

You describe bullpup configuration.
Which is yet another "valid in its own niche" option, but:
1) Needs a handle set even closer to perpendicular. Because the range of acceptable wrist angles is more constrained.
2) Needs measures to prevent string snagging, especially when used by people fond of silken cloaks. Either the string high above the handle (which works better for full sized crossbows) or solid screen under the string.

Making a piece noticeably bullpup-ier than shotguns with pistol handle and stock or typical modern crossbows design would be useful mostly in [more] forward-heavy designs, especially ones intended to be useable from hip. Like piston flamethrowers (needs a lamp for reliable pilot flame) or torsion machines ("mini-ballista"), depending on mechanism design.
For a pistol sized weapon... it would probably interfere with movements while snap shooting, while advantages aren't clear.

quote:
quote:

Well, it's easy to look back and say "that's an easy tweak." Both the different usage and the tweak had to occur to someone with the dissatisfaction, motivation, and engineering ability to accomplish it.

Accomplishment of increasing the handle's angle is minimal: it's reachable from the basic design incrementally via common "fit to the customer" process.
The specific niche of hand crossbow only adds more incentives to do more extreme modifications and removes incentives to avoid it.

Different usage of a hand crossbow is the main prerequisite for its very existence. It's a simple aposteriori consideration: someone made a weapon of inferior strength and range, more complex and expensive compared to a light crossbow - and this worked well enough that there's demand. Hence, those qualities are acceptable trade-offs to its advantages in the niche(s) where it's used.
Which allows us to backtrack those niches, via comparison with known competing solutions: find areas where either light crossbow, blowgun or hand-thrown dart (for the drow, also pneumatic sleeve-gun - FOR2 The Drow of the Underdark) isn't clearly better than a hand crossbow, and situation where these parameters matter more than drawbacks.

quote:
In our world, such coincidences have sometimes taken centuries to happen.
I can remember only one example of a no-brainer that failed to appear for decades: gangway mechanization on steamers (Life on the Mississippi) - but this at least required actually adding and rearranging components of a ship, rather than linear adjustment of something that's already here and then replacing some parts with ones that work better in the new geometry.
quote:
I don't have any specific real-world examples, but I'm sure someone who paid more attention in history classes will.

History classes? Tease. Anticipation builds up.
quote:
quote:

[...] 1. It's just "hand crossbow" in the weapons table on page 117 of the 3.5 PH, and in the picture on pg 118, and in the text description on pg 115... no mention of drow.

Therefore my original question doesn't apply to those specific mentions of hand crossbows, right?
If, for example, a halfling living in Neverwinter carries a non-magical hand crossbow, the reasonable assumption would be that he got the piece made to order in a local mechanical workshop that churns them out for local militia - what's with clockwork being one of main exports - so it was fit to hand then and there, and that's it, until proven otherwise.
If (also for example) a halfling got specialization in "the drow hand crossbow" (Grey Box), this raises the question of how he uses it.
quote:
When someone sees a weapon they like, but which is sized or shaped wrong... if they have the motivation and means to make a version for themselves, they do it.
Re-engineering a drow hand crossbow for use by humans, for instance, is just a matter of sizing the grip and spacing the trigger properly.

My point exactly.

quote:

I'm still not sure I'm following. If you're looking to fire rapidly, a crossbow, even a hand crossbow, is not the way to go.
So it got to have advantages over a thrown dart and blowgun.
quote:
The way I've always read Drow hand crossbows is their primary use is to deliver a potent poison to the target.

Yes. So does a thrown dart, blowgun, etc.
So the question #0 is when someone would choose a hand crossbow, given the alternatives.

quote:
Crossbows, hand or no, are historically slow. Their best use is for a single, well aimed shot.

Yes. And a bigger crossbow does this better. Even if the user relies more on the poison, there's a matter of range.
Conclusion: hand crossbow is not carried for sniping.

quote:
They are much more quiet than a pistol, have good range compared to a throwing dart or dagger, and are easier to aim for your average joe when compared to a bow, dagger, or dart.

Pistols don't even enter the competition. Given that SJ wheel lock pistol is comparable to light crossbow, at best.

Hand crossbow is rarely carried by "average joe", with exception of home defense. And the drow, whose designs are discussed, usually are not average joes.

quote:
On my hand crossbow, I turn the wheel back and push the lever down to lock the wheel in place. Then, I pull the string back and set it, placing a dart in the trough, aim by bracing the stock against my forearm, and press the trigger.

And that's why the most obvious way to speed it up is reducing this to:
1. Pull the string until it enters the nut and pushes it back, at which point the mechanism locks it.
2. Put a dart into the trough.
Which is how it's going to work with spring-reset trigger mechanism and pistol handle. Not unlike a single-action nerf gun, only with bow.

"A more complex mechanism" remains the only explanation here for higher price of a hand crossbow. It's not clear why it would be worth this if it didn't improve performance, but it needs other changes to do so. It's also not obvious what characteristics other than reload time and ergonomics could possibly be improved at all for a hand crossbow with its weak pull. Thus, the most likely answer is the above.

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2015 :  05:49:23  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Crossbows, hand or no, are historically slow. Their best use is for a single, well aimed shot.

Yes. And a bigger crossbow does this better. Even if the user relies more on the poison, there's a matter of range.
Conclusion: hand crossbow is not carried for sniping.

Hrm. Hand crossbows are smaller and lighter than standard crossbows, and the bolts are also smaller and lighter. This makes them easier to carry and conceal, and therefore an attractive option in any scenario calling for stealth or deception. The range issue is valid, but sniping (aka "one shot, one kill") is still on the menu.

Edit: Smaller size also explains higher price, without necessarily depending on a more complex mechanism. It's highly improbable that you'll sneak a crossbow past the guards at the gate without using magic, but a hand crossbow small enough to be "holstered" inside a wide pant leg... that's actually pretty likely, especially if you look like the honorable sort who wouldn't resort to such underhanded techniques. Dishonorable sorts have a lot of coin to spend on concealable weapons.

There's also more than just the firing mechanism when it comes to considering a more complicated construction. For example, what if the uh... I don't know the terminology, but the "arms" of the crossbow are hinged and can be closed to make an even smaller package? It's fairly simple to brace/lock the arms open when you're ready to fire, so the detriment to range would be minimal, and really... as long as it will fire a dart 20-30 feet it's suitable for an assassin's purposes. Anything beyond that is just silly bragging... everyone knows the true measure of an assassin lies in how close he can get without his target knowing that death approaches. The only reason to even have a crossbow is for those rare scenarios where a dagger won't work.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 07 Mar 2015 06:04:19
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2015 :  15:40:58  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone know the size of a handcrossbow bolt? They would have to be so small that I'd think only a neck or eye hit would be an instant kill.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2015 :  15:59:26  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well some current bolts appear about 6 inches long. Still looking for something closer to when first used.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2015 :  16:26:36  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You make some good, interesting points. Here are my further thoughts.
quote:
Different usage of a hand crossbow is the main prerequisite for its very existence. It's a simple aposteriori consideration: someone made a weapon of inferior strength and range, more complex and expensive compared to a light crossbow - and this worked well enough that there's demand. Hence, those qualities are acceptable trade-offs to its advantages in the niche(s) where it's used.
Which allows us to backtrack those niches, via comparison with known competing solutions: find areas where either light crossbow, blowgun or hand-thrown dart (for the drow, also pneumatic sleeve-gun - FOR2 The Drow of the Underdark) isn't clearly better than a hand crossbow, and situation where these parameters matter more than drawbacks.

With the dart, blowgun, throwing dagger, even the sling, each has the same drawback and reason you'd choose the hand crossbow over the other. The dart, blowgun, sling all depend on the user's strength of arm or breath for range (not use, but range.) Someone that's got a good eye for aim, but less strength would choose the hand crossbow because he doesn't need to move to release a projectile or blow forcibly into a pipe. I don't have Drow of the Underdark (yet), but just going off the name, the pneumatic sleeve-gun is something like an air-soft gun that can be hidden up the sleeve. A consideration there would be ease of maintenance. The air-soft guns I've seen would be a bit more difficult to maintain than a simple hand crossbow, and didn't have the length of life with repeated use that a hand crossbow has. Friend of mine plays with air-soft guns fairly often (I don't, for some illogical reason I don't mind having a wooden practice sword swung at my head, but I'm not at all comfortable with being shot at.) and he's constantly having to deal with small malfunctions, jams, etc.

quote:
Therefore my original question doesn't apply to those specific mentions of hand crossbows, right?
If, for example, a halfling living in Neverwinter carries a non-magical hand crossbow, the reasonable assumption would be that he got the piece made to order in a local mechanical workshop that churns them out for local militia - what's with clockwork being one of main exports - so it was fit to hand then and there, and that's it, until proven otherwise.
If (also for example) a halfling got specialization in "the drow hand crossbow" (Grey Box), this raises the question of how he uses it.

Ok, I did misunderstand here. I've often heard the terms "Drow Hand Crossbow" and "Hand Crossbow" used interchangeably. I assumed you were doing the same here.
It does make some sense that the Drow would design their hand crossbows to be different enough that they would be unmanageable by other races. Particularly with the consideration that a renegade slave might try to acquire one and use it against them.
Hand crossbows in general, however, well, see this discussion. [:-)]

quote:
And that's why the most obvious way to speed it up is reducing this to:
1. Pull the string until it enters the nut and pushes it back, at which point the mechanism locks it.
2. Put a dart into the trough.
Which is how it's going to work with spring-reset trigger mechanism and pistol handle. Not unlike a single-action nerf gun, only with bow.

"A more complex mechanism" remains the only explanation here for higher price of a hand crossbow. It's not clear why it would be worth this if it didn't improve performance, but it needs other changes to do so. It's also not obvious what characteristics other than reload time and ergonomics could possibly be improved at all for a hand crossbow with its weak pull. Thus, the most likely answer is the above.

I wouldn't say it's speeding up the process, it's just a different process. I've used a more modern hand crossbow with a pistol grip and a slide that you pull back to set the string. You have to really brace the weapon to pull the slide back and set it properly. I can set the wheel and lever on my simple hand crossbow with a single action by pushing the lever down with my fingers and setting the wheel with my thumb simultaneously, and then set the string and place the dart with another single motion and aim.
Assuming the same pull weight on the bow, a friend of mine who owned the pistol grip hand crossbow can set his string, place a bolt, and aim in about the same time as I can with my more mundane hand crossbow. At this point, it's more the Strength and skill of the user than it is the device itself. The real advantage I see to having a mechanical means of setting the bow string is you can have a higher draw weight on the string without requiring the user to be stronger, thus increasing the penetrating power of the projectile and the range.
Now, if you can design a hand crossbow that sets itself, you're talking business and cooking with gas.

I wouldn't say that a more complex mechanism is the only explanation. As Xaeyruudh points out, the smaller design takes more skill to craft. Same reason a well-made pocket watch can cost more than a well made wall clock.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2015 :  16:35:20  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

Anyone know the size of a handcrossbow bolt? They would have to be so small that I'd think only a neck or eye hit would be an instant kill.

To the best of my knowledge, there wasn't a "standard" size, per se. It varied, depending on the purpose and maker. But bolts were typically shorter than an arrow.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2015 :  16:51:31  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

To the best of my knowledge, there wasn't a "standard" size, per se. It varied, depending on the purpose and maker. But bolts were typically shorter than an arrow.

Well in my searching for more data, modern bolts normally are between
quote:
Most crossbow bolts are 16#8243; to 22#8243; in length, with the average being 20 inches.

Source: http://www.bestcrossbowsource.com/crossbow-bolts-arrows-guide/

It clearly should follow a smaller crossbow, i.e. hand crossbow that the bolt would be shorter.

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2015 :  18:00:48  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
It clearly should follow a smaller crossbow, i.e. hand crossbow that the bolt would be shorter.

Oh, I don't disagree, in general. But it doesn't rule out a longer bolt, either. There's nothing obstructing a bolt that sticks out a few inches beyond the end of the crossbow. You could conceivably release a longer bolt, if it were needed. Nothing too ridiculous, mind. You're not launching an arrow from a hand crossbow, but if you've got a hand crossbow that comfortably fits a bolt of 4-5 inches, a bolt 6 inches long isn't going to be impossible to throw.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2015 :  19:58:16  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Delwa that a small increase in length won't necessarily make it unworkable, but I think the size difference between a hand crossbow and a standard crossbow makes the bolts from one useless with the other.

If the bolt is longer than the groove it sits in, the greater the difference between those lengths, the less precision the bolt can be fired with. The greater the mass of the bolt, the shorter the range will be, given that there's a limit to how much force the firing mechanism can exert on it.

Same idea with arrows... it's possible to fire a longspear from a shortbow (assuming you have the strength to hold both) but the accuracy and range (and force of impact) are going to be terrible.

On the other hand, extremely short/light bolts wouldn't work well either. There has to be a "happy medium" for each design.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2015 :  20:06:15  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I agree with Delwa that a small increase in length won't necessarily make it unworkable, but I think the size difference between a hand crossbow and a standard crossbow makes the bolts from one useless with the other.

If the bolt is longer than the groove it sits in, the greater the difference between those lengths, the less precision the bolt can be fired with. The greater the mass of the bolt, the shorter the range will be, given that there's a limit to how much force the firing mechanism can exert on it.

Same idea with arrows... it's possible to fire a longspear from a shortbow (assuming you have the strength to hold both) but the accuracy and range (and force of impact) are going to be terrible.

On the other hand, extremely short/light bolts wouldn't work well either. There has to be a "happy medium" for each design.

Most definitely agreed. That noted, I took a measuring tape to my hand crossbow. The maximum total length that can be loaded without extending over the end of the bow is six inches. It's also about the same length of my friend's hand crossbow with a pistol grip, and the bolts for that were about six inches as well.

If I had to speculate, being a combat weapon, I would imagine that the size of the hand crossbow is somewhat determined by the effective length of the bolt. If, as is being pointed out, the hand crossbow were too small to be effective at anything other than target practice (that is, can it pierce vital organs without aiming for the neck or eye) then it would not be even offered as a combat weapon. Adventurers would avoid it because it's more a curiosity, something for a sporting noble to play with, but not a weapon of war.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2015 :  20:19:11  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back in 1e or 2e, there were multiple different types/styles of arrows. The most common were flight arrows and (iirc) sheaf arrows. Flight arrows had a longer range, sheaf arrows caused more damage. Then there were leaf head arrows, frog (?) arrows and a few others, for various purposes.

I thought that was awesome, and I can see having similar differentiation for bolts.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000