Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Divine Domains in 5E
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2015 :  02:16:50  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Other than the divine domains in the PH and DMG, have WotC published or officially released any new or alternative domains for clerics to access?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2015 :  03:27:11  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nothing official, though there are a lot of players trying to make new or remake old domains on RPG forums.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2015 :  03:32:03  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks hashimashadoo. That's the one drawback of writing/designing in a new edition environment. All the bells and whistles are missing.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2015 :  20:14:07  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Luckily 5e draws a lot of mechanical inspiration from 3e so I don't think it would be all that hard to convert some of 3e's material to 5e.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2015 :  22:54:16  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just as a general question, would the ability to access different domains (within limits) be something you think would be attractive to a person playing a cleric PC? In 5E, would you sacrifice an ability score increase/feat to do so? Just wondering ...

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 12 Mar 2015 22:54:40
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2015 :  23:00:21  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my game, priest(esse)s don't get a standardized list, but only spells which reflect their deities (or the ideals that they follow). So yes, If I were to play a priest(ess) in D&D, I would totally give up an ability score increase or a feat to access muultiple domains, to better reflect the flavor of my character.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 12 Mar 2015 23:02:53
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2015 :  23:47:48  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a player, I would like to have some choice in domains. I thought the 4-7 choices in the 3e FRCS was cool, and I think it's logical for "bigger" gods to offer more choices than "little" ones.

If you mean sacrificing a feat/statbump lets me pick and choose level 6/8/17 benefits from different domains... interesting. Not worth the price though, in my opinion. Flexibility is good, but the math will turn me off. Standard progression includes domain stuff and feats... domain stuff without the feats is an inferior choice. I realize that makes me sound like a munchkin, but I figure the munchkins deserve some kind of representation.

On the other hand, if sacrificing a feat/statbump gets me an additional domain, it's more likely to be a favorable trade.

I'm coming from a 3.5e perspective, though, and I'm sure any tweak I would make to 5e will be hideously unbalanced.

Looking forward to seeing what you're working on.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 12 Mar 2015 23:48:22
Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2015 :  18:07:05  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
5e is all about ability scores. Everything, mechanically, depends on them being as good as you can make them. Turfing a bump to one had better bring significant boons (like many of the feats do).

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2015 :  21:28:40  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George, I can design some for you. Let me know what you're looking for and I can make it happen.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2015 :  22:35:43  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

George, I can design some for you. Let me know what you're looking for and I can make it happen.

Thanks for the offer Matt but I'm designing three and have completed 1 and a half and making progress. I'll give you a sneak peek at the end of the month. How's Red Aegis going?

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Rils
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2015 :  15:34:01  Show Profile Send Rils a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George, thanks for asking, 'cause I've been thinking about this too. Because of the way 5e Domains are constructed, there's way more to them then just a list of always-prepped spells. I would think trading a feat for the addition of a totally complete domain would significantly favor the domain - you gets spells, channel divinities, extra proficiencies, etc. It's essentially multi-classing within your own class, since the domains carry a good chunk of the cleric's design space.

I have a feeling that trading a feat for just the additional spell list would be more even. I don't know if you'd want them to be additional always-prepped spells, or more like the way 3e did it, where you got two domain spell lists and picked one spell of each level from between them. Our group hasn't played 5e enough to have a feel for that.

Either way, I'd be very curious to see what you come up with, and how it works out!

Dugmaren Brightmantle is my homey.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2015 :  23:56:22  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rils

George, thanks for asking, 'cause I've been thinking about this too. Because of the way 5e Domains are constructed, there's way more to them then just a list of always-prepped spells. I would think trading a feat for the addition of a totally complete domain would significantly favor the domain - you gets spells, channel divinities, extra proficiencies, etc. It's essentially multi-classing within your own class, since the domains carry a good chunk of the cleric's design space.

I have a feeling that trading a feat for just the additional spell list would be more even. I don't know if you'd want them to be additional always-prepped spells, or more like the way 3e did it, where you got two domain spell lists and picked one spell of each level from between them. Our group hasn't played 5e enough to have a feel for that.

Either way, I'd be very curious to see what you come up with, and how it works out!

I appreciate the feedback Rils as it is an issue that I have had to grapple with also. Where I'm going with this (without giving the entire game away!) is that the cleric character takes a feat that allows them to choose which domain they access between long rests.

My first thoughts were that this flexibility as opposed to getting a +2 stat bump wasn't necessarily a fair trade. The feat as it stands provides that flexibility as well as a +1 bump to wisdom.

Mechanically I think it's too messy to do anything other than give a cleric an entire domain's nuts and bolts, rather than just be able to swap out the spell lists. The reason for this is that I envisage this process as a bit of flavour as well as just game mechanics and I think that I've come up with a nice bit of realmslore to wrap around the concept.

Also given that the feat as I've designed it allows access to only one domain at a time, the only real benefit that you get is that flexibility, not additional powers as it were. I'd be keen for your thoughts - I don't game (*gasp*) and so the opinion of someone "on the ground" is always appreciated. Cheers.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 19 Mar 2015 23:57:56
Go to Top of Page

Rils
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2015 :  16:47:50  Show Profile Send Rils a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very interesting idea... My initial thought is that mechanically it might be tricky swapping domains "on the fly", since many of them give you different armor/weapon proficiencies, boosts to skills, and other abilities. Depending on how you constructed your domains, there's good chunks of a character sheet that might have to change every time the character swaps. This would virtually require you to maintain two separate character sheets, but IMO that would get obnoxious pretty fast as a player.

If you don't mind, I'd be interested to pose this on the WotC forums, those guys would have a better feel for balance in 5e than I do. Would you be ok if I do that, and report back?

Also, as an avid "specialty priest" player, I'm intrigued to hear the backstory you've cooked up on this!

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2015 :  17:41:32  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Very interesting idea... My initial thought is that mechanically it might be tricky swapping domains "on the fly", since many of them give you different armor/weapon proficiencies, boosts to skills, and other abilities. Depending on how you constructed your domains, there's good chunks of a character sheet that might have to change every time the character swaps. This would virtually require you to maintain two separate character sheets, but IMO that would get obnoxious pretty fast as a player.

If you don't mind, I'd be interested to pose this on the WotC forums, those guys would have a better feel for balance in 5e than I do. Would you be ok if I do that, and report back?

Also, as an avid "specialty priest" player, I'm intrigued to hear the backstory you've cooked up on this!

My first thought is agreement with Mr. Krashos on the mechanics of swapping out an entire domain is just too messy. Limiting the swap to just the "always prepared" spell list seems like the most reasonable way to go.
I'd probably also limit it to something you can only do during a long rest, because fluff wise I'd imagine it takes lots of time and prayer to one's patron to commit such divine energy to memory.
Alternatively, the feat could state that you can swap the spells on a short rest, but the amount of prayer required to do so means you can gain no other benefits of the short rest, such as rolling hit die to regain HP.
Other than that, the only obvious thing to me is limiting it to the domains of your patron. No Clerics of Lathander swapping life for death domains just because, well, mechanics.
But that's just my opinion. I'm sure a crunch monkey out there can spell things out better.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2015 :  23:58:45  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm happy for you to pose the question on the WotC forum but would appreciate it if you didn't mention what's being discussed here.

The only 'changes' I see when swapping out domains would relate to proficiencies and saves. Other benefits/bonuses could be noted on the character sheet and played with on that basis (e.g. When I run with the X domain I have proficiency on CON saves). Whilst I can see some players swapping out weapons and armor if they got a proficiency in martial weapons or heavy armor, again I think that it could easily be accommodated in play. There's no reason why you can't have your Life domain character sheet and your Tempest domain character sheet in my book.

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. I might well end up doing a version where it's a straight swap out of the spell lists, but that would be lacking in flavour IMO and maybe not 'adequate' for feat power.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Rils
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2015 :  21:28:40  Show Profile Send Rils a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No problem, I "kept it cool"... :) Didn't mention you or CK at all.

Actually, didn't get as many responses as I would have thought. Mellored offered the following (credit where it's due), he's usually on the ball:

"Dual Worship: Prerequisite: Cleric

+1 Wis.

*You select a second domain. You gain the domain spells and the level 2 channel divinity of that domain. You do not get extra uses of channel divinity or spell slots.

That adds some good flexibility, without adding raw power. Anything more would be difficult, since the domains aren't otherwise equal in features."

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2015 :  00:33:07  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Rils

Thanks for the feedback. After our last exchange I went back to my original feat write-up and the domains listed in the PH and realised that the "problem" powers/benefits associated with the domains were all the ones at 1st level (i.e. proficiencies etc.). I stripped back the feat to provide only the new spell roster and benefits from 2nd level onwards and that seems to be a better fit.

I note that my feat provides nothing extra (save for the +1 WIS bonus) - only the flexibility of using a different domain between long rests. Is that something people would find attractive, do you think, or is my version over/under-powered?

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2015 :  00:52:21  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 5ed Domains seem to be based off the Initiate of X feats from the old Player guide to Faerun so why not just convert them to 5ed as deity specfic domains and convert the Deity specfic spells to fill the Domain spell list?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Rils
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2015 :  20:43:21  Show Profile Send Rils a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure if you guys have seen these, but a guy named Mark Craddock is posting specialty-priests-as-feats on his blog:

http://crossplanes.blogspot.com/search/label/Clerical%20Work

Some seem to work better than others, but definitely an interesting take on the idea!

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2015 :  01:39:37  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not sure if you guys have seen these, but a guy named Mark Craddock is posting specialty-priests-as-feats on his blog:

Some seem to work better than others, but definitely an interesting take on the idea!

I've been following that. Like his stuff, but haven't had a PC use it so far, so I can't speak for it in actual practice.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2015 :  03:16:39  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The first specialty priest that lets you concentrate on more than one spell at a time wins my vote. I like this general concept though.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000