Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Under Illefarn Anew
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

lordhobie
Acolyte

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2015 :  16:03:10  Show Profile  Visit lordhobie's Homepage Send lordhobie a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Has anyone heard any news on the possible publication of this epic? :)

Lord Hobie

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2015 :  16:40:39  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's actually looking good. I believe manuscript copies are already available to Eric's friends (I know one copy has been turned into a campaign setting book for Eric's kids). There's also a couple of regional sourcebooks in the pipeline - though how much WotC are involved in these projects I couldn't tell you.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 24 Feb 2015 16:44:32
Go to Top of Page

lordhobie
Acolyte

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2015 :  17:18:12  Show Profile  Visit lordhobie's Homepage Send lordhobie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Hashimashadoo!

Lord Hobie
Go to Top of Page

Algolei
Acolyte

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2015 :  12:12:34  Show Profile Send Algolei a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello. I joined up just to ask about this. Is there any more recent information?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2015 :  13:39:06  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At this time "Under Illefarn Anew" remains a fan project that will not be released to the general public.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2015 :  13:59:21  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And in my opinion it is the biggest black mark against WoTC because of their decision not to publish it

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2015 :  17:12:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

At this time "Under Illefarn Anew" remains a fan project that will not be released to the general public.

-- George Krashos

That's very disappointing. I'd love to be able to read that.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2015 :  17:39:36  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

While I share in the disappointment, I'm not surprised. It would make my decade if WotC started supporting fan projects, not to mention lifting NDAs so never published lore could see the light of day.

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2015 :  19:00:31  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Darn. I was really looking forward to this. Hopefully it's being held close because it may see publication in the future? ;)
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2015 :  19:20:33  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

And in my opinion it is the biggest black mark against WoTC because of their decision not to publish it

I'm certainly no fan of WotC, but you can't really blame a company for not wanting to fund and publish a product that could conflict dramatically with current and upcoming lore or other products in their lineup.

It's also equally the decision of the person/people designing it, to not offer it as a free fan creation. I certainly don't blame anyone for wanting to be paid for their work, but on the other hand they've likely benefited from years and years of freely available material offered here by fans who never expected any payment of any kind. And this started out as a sideline fun project without any planned contract.

For those who angrily say no one should offer content freely, ever, I'd point out that Ed for years has offered a massive number of free updates, adventure hooks, and lore material. As have a significant number of scribes here at Candlekeep.

So it's a choice, but it isn't just WotC's choice. Just saying.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer

Edited by - Eltheron on 23 Nov 2015 19:22:01
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2015 :  20:21:30  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eltheron

quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

I'm certainly no fan of WotC, but you can't really blame a company for not wanting to fund and publish a product that could conflict dramatically with current and upcoming lore or other products in their lineup.

It's also equally the decision of the person/people designing it, to not offer it as a free fan creation. I certainly don't blame anyone for wanting to be paid for their work, but on the other hand they've likely benefited from years and years of freely available material offered here by fans who never expected any payment of any kind. And this started out as a sideline fun project without any planned contract.

For those who angrily say no one should offer content freely, ever, I'd point out that Ed for years has offered a massive number of free updates, adventure hooks, and lore material. As have a significant number of scribes here at Candlekeep.

This smacks of trying to shame them for their decision. When it gets down to it, it's nobody's business but the creators of said work what is done with it. We're not entitled to it. I'd love to see it too, but if we have to wait, that's just the way it goes.

Whatever choice they make should be respected, not bashed. I'm sure there's good reason for that choice anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2015 :  21:12:27  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eltheron

That may very well be. Not publishing Under Illefarn Anew could very well conflict with WotC's planned direction and vision of 5e Forgotten Realms.

quote:

Although I can't speak for the designer, he and other grognards have provided freely of their efforts and time to so much lore here at Candlekeep and other (and older) venues. Not to mention their published works. He will do with it want he wants. It's not our business.

My understanding of the project is that is it built/designed from the the original Under Illefarn and other intervening lore that is copyrighted and trademarked. WotC holds those copyrights and trademarks. So if WotC says "no", Under Illefarn Anew will never see the light of day.

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

Algolei
Acolyte

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2015 :  15:37:53  Show Profile Send Algolei a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rats.

But thank you for the information. Now I can stop hoping and get on with miserable existence.

Hail Hydra.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2015 :  03:16:32  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does this mean we will never see the High Forest project either?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2015 :  17:16:21  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Making N5 Under Illefarn for 5th edition would be so cool.
I would just have to get it.
I could just convert it myself but I want to support WOTC so that they in turn will support the Realms.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2015 :  17:18:17  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by froglegg

Making N5 Under Illefarn for 5th edition would be so cool.
I would just have to get it.
I could just convert it myself but I want to support WOTC so that they in turn will support the Realms.

John

Well dang........
Never mind..........

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

Go to Top of Page

Androminous
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2016 :  15:34:59  Show Profile  Visit Androminous's Homepage Send Androminous a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

Any chance of seeing it published through the Dungeon Master's Guild under the OGL?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2016 :  18:07:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Androminous

quote:

-- George Krashos

Any chance of seeing it published through the Dungeon Master's Guild under the OGL?

Many of us are hoping for that, but I've seen no word on it, either way.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rils
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2016 :  18:17:01  Show Profile Send Rils a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And what's this mysterious "High Forest" project that Fellfire mentioned? I'm ridiculously interested in anything High Forest...

Dugmaren Brightmantle is my homey.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2016 :  21:51:16  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric was working on a follow-up to Under Illefarn Anew set in the High Forest.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2016 :  09:44:36  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hopefully Eric is working on it again as that would be two gems worth buying. Hopefully we will see an entire sourcebook on the North with some phalorm goodies from George (and maybe some athalanter goodies from ed.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2016 :  00:32:48  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes i'd also purchase this.
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2016 :  20:16:03  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, this would rise high on my to-buy list.

The Realms seems to be missing a truly iconic mega-adventure, at least not one tied to the stereotypical pillars of the setting (Drow, pantheon machinations) or an RSE-type or cross-promotional tie-in (which even most of the 5E adventures could be filed under.)
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2016 :  22:37:17  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

-- George Krashos

That's very disappointing. I'd love to be able to read that.

Me too.

John

Go to Top of Page

PartyLikeIts1372
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2017 :  23:31:48  Show Profile Send PartyLikeIts1372 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I've seen on Candlekeep, there was a lot of disappointment, mixed with some bitterness that Illefarn Anew wasn't picked up by Wizards, and that some elements of Eric Boyd's and Markustay's work were used in Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle (there's even an acknowledgement of Under Illefarn Anew on page 134).

Wouldn't this be a perfect project for DMsGuild, though? I know that isn't a super lucrative place to release material, but Wizards has pretty much cleared the copyright issues...

As I'm currently starting a new group of players in Daggerford, I'd love to get my hands on Anew.

'I dreamt of the end of the world—of a flying mountain crashing down to obliterate a shining city, and wipe away the hope of a golden future. I dreamt of a chasm yawning to inhale an entire realm. The edges of the map burning away, and ink slithering to erase ancient places and replace them with new. "Spellplague." I heard the unknown word whispered in my mind by millions of tortured souls, but I know not what it means.' The seer trembled and wrapped his cloak tight. 'We cannot let this come to pass.'
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2017 :  23:41:00  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PartyLikeIts1372

From what I've seen on Candlekeep, there was a lot of disappointment, mixed with some bitterness that Illefarn Anew wasn't picked up by Wizards, and that some elements of Eric Boyd's and Markustay's work were used in Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle (there's even an acknowledgement of Under Illefarn Anew on page 134).

Wouldn't this be a perfect project for DMsGuild, though? I know that isn't a super lucrative place to release material, but Wizards has pretty much cleared the copyright issues...

As I'm currently starting a new group of players in Daggerford, I'd love to get my hands on Anew.

I'm in exactly the same situation.

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

Androminous
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2017 :  00:10:53  Show Profile  Visit Androminous's Homepage Send Androminous a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PartyLikeIts1372

As you probably know, Daggerford itself is fleshed out, including maps of the environs, in Scourge of the Sword Coast:
http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/digital-only/scourge-sword-coast

There is also a more detailed map of the Daggerford environs partly seen on page 14 of the 5e DMG with locations not mentioned before, as far as I know, in any supplement from any edition. The full map is available from the artist.

http://prints.mikeschley.com/p858006957/e27b48d70

I don't know, but those locations might be from Under Illefarn Anew. I'd love to know more about them.

Edited by - Androminous on 12 Aug 2017 00:14:02
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2017 :  00:23:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, they are not. I'm not sure where they are from - I only recognized one of them from 'elsewhere'.

I have incorporated what details I could from the 5e DMG map on my continental map, but they are really way too small to see (you may be able to discern the tiny forests, and where I allowed for the lakes). When I get back to my main mapping project (Faerűn in detail), I will be incorporating all these things onto those maps.

I also did a mostly B&W map of the Daggerford environs, because I wanted to detail the bridge, and also because I wanted to try and reconcile discrepancies between the P&P version, and the video games (where Daggerford was on the SOUTH side of the river). This is unfinished, and may remain unfinished indefinitely, depending on my interests.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

PartyLikeIts1372
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2017 :  00:27:55  Show Profile Send PartyLikeIts1372 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As you probably know, Daggerford itself is fleshed out, including maps of the environs, in Scourge of the Sword Coast:
http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/digital-only/scourge-sword-coast

There is also a more detailed map of the Daggerford environs partly seen on page 14 of the 5e DMG with locations not mentioned before, as far as I know, in any supplement from any edition. The full map is available from the artist.

http://prints.mikeschley.com/p858006957/e27b48d70

I don't know, but those locations might be from Under Illefarn Anew. I'd love to know more about them.

Androminous -- I do have those sources, and agree, I'd love to see the locations on Mike Schley's map fleshed out. I'm using both Schley's full map of the Daggerford environs (bought from his website) and Markustay's map of the region. And I'm using portions of the Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle and Dreams of Red Wizards series, but my campaign is starting in 1354 DR, so I ignore or change large parts of the 5e material. My hope would be that Eric Boyd's work is set early enough in the history that I can pull more lore from it. Thanks for the great suggestions, tho!

'I dreamt of the end of the world—of a flying mountain crashing down to obliterate a shining city, and wipe away the hope of a golden future. I dreamt of a chasm yawning to inhale an entire realm. The edges of the map burning away, and ink slithering to erase ancient places and replace them with new. "Spellplague." I heard the unknown word whispered in my mind by millions of tortured souls, but I know not what it means.' The seer trembled and wrapped his cloak tight. 'We cannot let this come to pass.'
Go to Top of Page

PartyLikeIts1372
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2017 :  00:48:58  Show Profile Send PartyLikeIts1372 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markustay -- Thanks to your map, I found the perfect location to drop my version of A0 - Danger at Darkshelf Quarry (totally re-written for 5th Ed). That adventure has an underground river (and a shrine to the Elder Eye, that ties things nicely with Dreams of Red Wizards). The river flows INTO the caves underneath the quarry, but its outlet isn't navigable (the cave wall goes below the stream's outlet).

Your note about Steeping Falls gave me the necessary inspiration. I have the underground river originating at Steeping Falls, with the Steeping Stream flowing overhead through "The Crag" as shown on Shley's Daggerford environs map. Basically Steeping Falls hides the underground river entrance, and the swirling currents under the falls allow the Delimbyr to flow past, while the underground tributary flows under The Crag, and eventually exits into Curstlake on Shley's map.

And of since the barony of Steeping Falls was founded by Artor Morlin, there are all kinds of inspirations for future adventures, right there! (See http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9087 for a bit more on the Barony of Steeping Falls)

Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2017 :  02:36:05  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Eric released his work on DMs guild, he could charge whatever he wants literally. It would be the top selling FR product by the end of the year.

I know many folks who would pay the price of a full on commercially printed source book for either of Eric's projects.

Perhaps that is exactly what WotC fears.

Give us little fanboys a sand box to play in, to keep us out of their hair while they produce the "premium content"....UNTIL something comes onto the DM's guild that outshines their "products".
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000