Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Just met R A Salvatore
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2015 :  05:15:53  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just got home from shaking hands with the man for the first time, and getting his autograph on The Crystal Shard. He chuckled when he noticed it was the first printing and said "this is an oolllld book." Approachable, energetic, inspirational, and incredibly generous with his time. Tips for starting authors, stories galore, and a really great sense of humor. Plus it was fun to kinda overwhelm Barnes & Noble... I think they were unprepared for the number of fans who showed up, but they were awesome, passing out free lemonades and lattes from the cafe.

Wondering if any other scribes were at the book signing in Olympia tonight.

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2015 :  07:02:00  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's pretty cool.

So it was just a book signing? No fan Q & A, or author readings from a new work?

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2015 :  12:49:53  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's interesting to see how Bob's "line-up" of jokes and stories very, very gradually changes over time. He has his eternal go-to's. But he also works in some new material from time to time, too. If you go to multiple events or watch several successive interviews with him, you can roll your eyes at certain familiar stories that you've already heard half a dozen times. But then he also might put a spin on some of them, or incorporate some current events, just to see if you were still paying attention.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2015 :  16:51:41  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No reading... he has a new book, coming next month I think? But he didn't say much about it, except joking that it's kinda weird doing a signing when a book isn't even out yet.

He talked a bit, and answered a lot of questions, first. That was about an hour. Then he amiably signed books for at least two hours after that. He said afterwards that more than a hundred people were there, and one of the guys in front of me had a whole shopping basket of books he asked him to sign so I suspect a few other people brought more than one as well. He'd already been signing for an hour and a half by the time I got to him, and he still seemed to be in a good mood and started talking again when I thanked him for having those conversations with Ed that put us on track for 5e. I was trying to be a good guy and get out of the way, but he kept talking. Which was awesome.

This was the first book signing I've gone to, and I kinda got that impression from him, BEAST. He started the whole thing by apologizing for the Patriots, which got everyone chuckling. He mentioned a couple of Realmsian things I'd heard about before (I can't remember examples; probably stuff he mentioned in the Sundering summit video) but it never felt like "oh I've heard all this before, boorrrring." He's definitely not boring.

Really nice guy.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2015 :  21:39:32  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got a few Salvatore 1st printings I'd love to get signed.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Portuguese D. Ace
Seeker

Italy
82 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2015 :  10:44:49  Show Profile Send Portuguese D. Ace a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've met him years ago, at a convention here in Italy.
Jolly good fellow.

Please, bring back the Realms. I'm really fed up with the Sword Coast.

===== Since English is not my first language, I pre-emptively apologize for any (grammar) mistake that has been made in my post. In order to help me improve my English, please, point out those mistakes (If you could do it politely, it would be even better!). Thanks! =====
Go to Top of Page

Tybalt
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2015 :  20:22:00  Show Profile Send Tybalt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I met him in Huntington Beach, I'm new to candlekeep so I don't know the format for embedding here but yeah, here is a picture of me telling him how much he blows my mind lol

http://i.imgur.com/Yaoi5xv.jpg
Go to Top of Page

VikingLegion
Senior Scribe

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2015 :  15:30:50  Show Profile Send VikingLegion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went to the same college as RAS (Fitchburg State in MA), though several years after he had already been through. He came back to the campus to do a signing. I was working that night and got to the event at the very end, and was surprised to find myself all alone with him. I'm not sure if there was better turnout when it started, but by the time I arrived it was just Bob and I. We chatted for a bit, I bought one of his newer books at the time (all my old stuff was packed away back in my old bedroom at my mother's house). He came off as a very affable and approachable guy.

I did relate a funny story to him. One of my professors also had RAS as a student many years earlier. He recalled telling Salvatore point-blank that "Writing is probably not your thing. You should seriously consider changing majors." The prof tells this story to all his day 1 students each year as a bit of self-deprecating humor, being that Bob can pretty much submit his grocery list to an editor and it will be on the NY Times bestseller list.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000