Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 New game! Sword Coast Legends
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2015 :  15:13:32  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I think it's been mentioned (obliquely) here recently, but n-Space and Digital Extremes are developing a new CRPG called Sword Coast Legends, set in the Realms, based on 5e:

Main site:
https://swordcoast.com

enworld interview:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?2345-New-Cooperate-D-D-Video-Game-Allows-a-DM-To-Run-The-Adventure#.VNzCMkKnw-A

Looks promising! I like the BG2-esque isometric view & DA:O-like party control (some of it's developers created DA:O). Coming this year on Steam for PC!

Edited by - BenN on 12 Feb 2015 15:16:55

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2015 :  16:04:25  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The gameplay from the preview video looks promising... but it seems that *everything* coming out for the 5E Realms is set in the Sword Coast. Their are so many fantastic locations in the Forgotten Realms that it's a shame they keep going to the same well over and over again.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2015 :  16:18:10  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For a first-of (first D&D for this dev studio), setting it in the Sword Coast makes sense. It's "familiar" territory to at least a portion of those who would buy this. If it's successful, then yes, definitely branch out into the less-traveled (digitally) areas of Faerun (or even beyond).

I'm excited, but cautiously here. A lot of attention is drawn to the MP/coop/DM'ing capability, which is cool. All I care about is the SP (and no, I don't expect a game tailor-made for me). If the SP is a full-experience, story-driven, offline one, then I'm sold. If it's feels like a tacked-on example of what you can create (like the SP campaign of NWN was), then not so much.

Edit: Checked out the site, definitely a SP campaign on there, so I'm buying (not pre-ordering though, I don't do that anymore). Just hope it's a quality one. Excited!

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage

Edited by - ZeshinX on 12 Feb 2015 16:22:36
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2015 :  16:53:00  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This looks fun. Sounds like they took some inspiration from Neverwinter Nights. Can't wait to see it.

I do wish they would do other regions, though. I've got a pretty good image in my head of the Sword Coast. NWN2 gave us a glimpse of Rasheman in an expansion, as well as Westgate. I'd like to see Thay visualized.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Taurendil
Acolyte

Chile
43 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2015 :  20:03:25  Show Profile Send Taurendil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks great. Loved the point of view of the camera and the pause time feature, it won't be about hitting keys lika a madman.

No high hopes about getting a Mac version for me though :(

- Ideas desordenadas sin RPG en específico www.juegoconamnesia.blogspot.com (Spanish)
- Des idées en vrac pour n'importe quel JdR www.jeudeloubli.blogspot.com (French)
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2015 :  20:42:13  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The game looks good, but I need a lot more info before I allow myself to get excited for this.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2015 :  21:10:22  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally. FINALLY a Realms game to look forward to again. Though I'm cautiously pessimistic ;p
Still. Interesting.
Agreed that the Sword Coast is a little bit "been there done that", but - I would love a fully realized Waterdeep, with all the streets and wards and everything.
And maybe, just maybe, the game allows you to go off the Sword Coast for a part of the story.
I would love to explore the Moonsea, the Dalelands, Aglarond, Impiltur..well, basically anything east of said coast of sharpness.
Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2015 :  21:21:36  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yaaay new proper Realms RPG that isn't an MMO. Sweet!

Although as others have mentioned, it would have been interesting to see a game set in other places than the Sword Coast. But who knows. Maybe they'll make some expansion packs for this set in other regions. I would love to see one set in Calimshan or Tashtan Coast. :p
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2015 :  21:27:54  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It doesn't seem designed with mod-ability in mind, which means my interest in the multiplayer is next to zero, and as for single-player, it depends whether the campaign is solid (as there won't likely be community mods). A definite maybe for me.

Never sleep under the jackfruit tree.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

My campaign thread: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447

Edited by - Mapolq on 12 Feb 2015 21:28:08
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2015 :  22:20:33  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IGN also has an article about this: http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/02/12/new-dungeons-and-dragons-game-sword-coast-legends-coming-in-2015

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2015 :  23:31:53  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading all this, it sounds similar to what they were promising with the cancelled Dungeonscape app, minus the "you can use it at your pen-and-paper game as well as online" aspect. I wonder if this is what they decided to do instead?

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2015 :  03:00:06  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if this is one of the things Ed Greenwood has been working on?
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2015 :  03:13:30  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wish they would set a game in the Moonsea or Dalelands area again.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2015 :  00:03:51  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This game looks absolutely stunning and fun! It's like a better, cooler, and more up-dated version of Baldur's Gate, to which I felt was an amazing game too. Seriously can't wait for it to come out.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11689 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2015 :  02:54:52  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks neat. Could hold some promise there.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2015 :  09:44:25  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First Community Update is out:
https://forums.swordcoast.com/index.php?/topic/166-community-update-1/

It still sounds like the most promising D&D game since...a long time ago.
My secret wish is that there will be a solid easy-to-use editor that allows for extreme variety; so people can actually go make adventures in other parts of the Sword Coast. That will mean an endless supply of textures, models etc. of course but a man can dream.
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2015 :  11:52:15  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Article about Dungeon Master tools:
http://dispatches.cheatcc.com/1500
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2015 :  09:27:18  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Update (via a link on enworld):

MMPORG.com interviews Nathan Stewart, Brand Director for Dungeons & Dragons & Wizards of the Coast and Dan Tudge, President of n-Space:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/1238/feature/9410/page/1

Some interesting points:

- WOTC is focussed on the Realms going forward.
- Playable races (at launch): Human, dwarf, elf, half-elf, halfling.
- Playable classes (at launch): cleric, fighter, paladin, ranger, rogue, wizard.
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2015 :  06:13:13  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm really excited by this game, especially the DM feature. I hope to play it with my former players who are now scaterred around the world ^^
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2015 :  07:39:53  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A long, and very promising, interview here:
https://games.yahoo.com/news/sword-coast-legends-digital-boxed-160018605.html
Go to Top of Page

Taurendil
Acolyte

Chile
43 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2015 :  15:59:33  Show Profile Send Taurendil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There will be a Linux/Mac version!! Yeheeee!

https://swordcoast.com/content/sword-coast-legends%E2%84%A2-coming-mac-and-linux

- Ideas desordenadas sin RPG en específico www.juegoconamnesia.blogspot.com (Spanish)
- Des idées en vrac pour n'importe quel JdR www.jeudeloubli.blogspot.com (French)
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2015 :  18:36:28  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As well as a PS4/Xbox One version later on, which is what I'll probably pick up then.

quote:
Originally posted by Taurendil

https://swordcoast.com/content/sword-coast-legends%E2%84%A2-coming-mac-and-linux

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2015 :  02:28:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

As well as a PS4/Xbox One version later on, which is what I'll probably pick up then.

quote:
Originally posted by Taurendil

Agreed. I didn't expect that my current PC setup would be able to run this game, so I regrettably left it off my purchase list for this year. But with console versions coming, I can see that I'll likely be buying a copy for the PS4... since I've yet to even obtain an X-Box One.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2015 :  14:40:15  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yea, I actually prefer to play the console versions of most games if they have one. Just because I tend to be able to use the controller better than a keyboard and mouse. Plus I have a bigger T.V. then my laptop monitor. :)

Unfort, I don't like the playstation even back when I had a ps3, so this time I made the choice to stick with just a xbox. My ps3 was so old (since it was like a first generation version) that it wouldn't even play half the games that came out for it but I didn't mind because I had my 360, which I used more. That's why I decided to stick with just the xbox one this time. Plus I can tie it in with my windows phone and with windows 10, Microsoft is making some nice features that connect windows with the xbox one.

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Agreed. I didn't expect that my current PC setup would be able to run this game, so I regrettably left it off my purchase list for this year. But with console versions coming, I can see that I'll likely be buying a copy for the PS4... since I've yet to even obtain an X-Box One.

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2015 :  00:14:28  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm really looking forward to this game now. I'm even going to be able to play it without a computer upgrade. I was kinda worried about that.
I've been following the game's NPC profiles that they've been sharing, and I am hoping they are as good as they advertise.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2015 :  04:14:53  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Someone over at E3 got to try this and posted a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGfAajHj0OM&a=&feature=youtu.be&app=desktop

Go to Top of Page

Crai
Acolyte

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2015 :  20:28:54  Show Profile Send Crai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I gather this is not turn-based game, but more of a fast reflex shoot-em-up hand-controller combat game?

I do miss the turn-based games from yeas ago. It was nice to be able to pause and think for a moment before diving deep into battle.
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2015 :  22:58:55  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crai

I gather this is not turn-based game, but more of a fast reflex shoot-em-up hand-controller combat game?

No, AFAIK you'll be able to pause whenever you like (as in BG & other CRPGs). I guess this probably won't apply to online coop games.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2015 :  01:10:59  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Developer makes a Dungeon with Sword Coast Legends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nfQ3wa9iBc

Players run Created Dungeon with an active GM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PUbc3ofBgY

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2015 :  04:15:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoa! There's a name I've not seen pop up in a long time! How you been, Dargoth?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2015 :  04:35:02  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Whoa! There's a name I've not seen pop up in a long time! How you been, Dargoth?

Hey wooly

I see alot of the old gang are still around

Im giving 5ed a look at the moment (actually bought Hoard of the Dragon queen yesterday)so I thought Id see what new info there was on the realms (Apparently there isnt a 5ed FRC which is kind of annoying)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page