Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Cormyr: Flexing My Idea Muscle
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2015 :  04:14:11  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for keeping this space alive. I like much of what's been added and I am looking forward to reading more.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2015 :  01:38:41  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This selection of NPCs grew from this:

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

Main Characters
3. Queen Fee. A day in the life would be pretty awesome. One story set during Azoun IV's reign, another set during the time of the Steel Regent. I love the hints Ed left in his last series of novels about the things a far-thinking Queen Fee did to guide Cormyr, even past her death.

But I went with an earlier time frame. The year is 1326 DR, and Filfaeril is 15 years old. I haven't picked a day of the year yet, and it's starting to look more like "a week in the life."

The reason I picked an earlier time was to avoid needing to include a lot of Azoun. Much has been written about Azoun, and he belongs to hands far more skilled than mine. Plus, Azoun and Filfaeril, together, have a dynamic I won't try to imitate.

Anyway, it's coming to life for me as characters step onto the stage.

Abranar Glimglaur – a seller of overpriced curios in a shop called "The Shores of Durpar." Neither he nor his goods are from that far away. He was born Mireo Ladrim, in Yhaunn, and his parents were both born in Yhaunn. The "unique" bric-a-brac that fills his shop is picked up in secondhand shops (and out of garbage bins behind said shops) in various towns of Sembia and the Dales, mended and dressed up with cantrips, and "sold for a song" in his upscale Suzail shop. The shop is also continuously cleaned and shined up with minor magic. Speaking of the shop, it's never full but it's also never empty. Business is steady, and "Abranar" must be taking in a lot of gold... but he lives in a small unadorned apartment over his shop. The embellishments which are prevalent in the shop are missing here, and it's conspicuously devoid of curios. It seems the only real treasure he has are the wands and spellbooks he depends so heavily on.

Agimlon – a War Wizard with a double life. In his public persona, he serves the Crown, the War Wizards, Azuth, and Mystra, in that order. He is also Vorthiel, the High Torch of a cult of Kossuth which spans Cormyr, the Dragon Coast, and as far west as Elturel.

Arthiel Nelania – an elven rogue, skilled in the arts of larceny and romance. (Spoiler: unfortunately, I don't have any overly graphic scenes planned for him. Filfaeril's destiny lies elsewhere, after all. Oh, but Azoun's task will be more difficult when he sets about wooing her.)

Attelie Edralethe – A friend of Filfaeril. Her father Harvis is the "black sheep" of a corrupt branch of the family, and her mother Ostiana is from a noble family (Larais) of Reth... or at least those are the stories Attelie has grown up with. The Edralethe family owns some property in Cormyr, none of it exceedingly valuable but all of it profitable, and they are comfortably affluent, but not noble. Attelie loves and admires Filfaeril, and sometimes gets into trouble in her efforts to shock and impress her. The Edralethe family has a dark secret, which the girls know nothing of. It starts with Dostia, a devoted (ever-present, "hovering", hearing everything) servant and a locked door in a shadowy corner of the cellar. Behind that door is a supernaturally dark stairwell (torches and magical lights alike are extinguished, not merely masked with darkness) which descends sixty feet or so into an ancient shrine. The sort of shrine that the Crown wouldn't approve of...

Birgun Sigunbir – A dwarf who serves the Selazair family. Her family owns a successful beer-making operation near Elversult, but she elected to stay in Cormyr after her husband (Balandar "Adamant" Highaxe, an adventurer in his youth and minor but exceptionally efficient courtier after "settling down" with Birgun) died some 20 years ago. Upon finding herself on her own, she took employment with the Selazair family, whom she knew had been kind to her husband. The Selazair family now serves Sigunbir beer at its informal parties, praises Birgun's family as the best thing that ever happened to "that land down there," and imports extra barrels of beer so that their guests can familiarize their own friends with it. Thus the Sigunbir label, previously mainly of interest to dwarven inns and taverns in the south, is gaining a following in Cormyr. Birgun nearly bursts with pride when a guest voices enjoyment of the beer, and bubbles with compliments for the Selazairs' generosity and friendship. She adores Filfaeril (behind a thick curtain of clucking and advice) and considers the Selazairs her "tallfolk family."

Celedhre Goldwave – A (relatively) patient and tolerant aquatic elf, whom Filfaeril meets near the docks. She requests a translation from him. He sighs and observes that humans from different places speak different languages, then opines that this should logically hold true for elves and halflings and every other race as well. He expects her to be disappointed and —more importantly— turn away and leave him alone, but she and her friends are too enthralled by staring at him. He's taller than them, and greener, and... elfier.

Gailes Bleth – An acquaintance of Filfaeril. He relies heavily on his family name, and tends to avoid those who aren't impressed by it. He's outwardly neutral toward Filfaeril but her friends occasionally find him lurking near her, out of her sight. When she finds out about this, she's confused by this show of apparent interest because it's in stark contrast with all the times he doesn't seem to even notice her. He reveals nothing about his family's business, and can rarely even be compelled to converse face to face. The mystery surrounding him makes her think about him more often than his virtues warrant. Does he like her... or just the sound of her voice, since he avoids being seen by her? What does he want? What is he thinking?

Galause Cormaeril – A noble. He's a distant cousin of the family patriarch, but arguably more prominent in Suzail due to his strident personality. He favors building the strength of the Purple Dragons and the War Wizards, expanding Cormyr's borders into the Stonelands and the Dragon Coast, giving more privileges and tax exemptions to the nobles, and using economic sanctions and the threat of violence to bring Sembia and the Dales under the control of Cormyr. His passionate tirades gather a lot of support from other nobles. King Rhigaerd, though amiable to the ideas of securing the Stonelands and the Dragon Coast and taking a bite out of Sembia's trade profits, doesn't think becoming the tyrant of the Inner Sea is the right way to go about it. It might occasionally seem to an observer as though Galause's speeches are specifically aimed at stirring the passions of his audience and —without ever being overt about it— denouncing the Crown's caution as weakness.

Glorthiel Longquill – Filfaeril's "letters" tutor is a follower of Deneir - she admires his intelligence and wouldn't object to him showing some interest in her, but he's way too far in his books to notice her charms. He's so "out of touch" that he doesn't even seem to understand why boys chuckle at his name; the juvenile innuendo is not hard to see, but he still seems to miss it. He's just letters and words and pages, with little patience and no creativity, so she's highly disappointed in him.

Ieran Goldsword – An acquaintance of Filfaeril. He would be a suitor, if he acknowledged any competition. He's noble, and considers himself Filfaeril's best prospect for marriage. She has no specific reason to argue with his assessment; she doesn't like his attitude toward other people, but he is kind and acceptably respectful toward her. His family is successful and admired. She doesn't love him, but she is fond of him and she suspects that she will like him more in the event that he becomes more affable. Her mother was once "a bit too aware of all her wonderful virtues" as her father puts it, so she's hopeful that Ieran will outgrow his elitism too.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 23 Mar 2015 01:50:06
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2015 :  13:42:41  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Totally random find in Drizzt's Guide to the Underdark

quote:
At the heart of the Tunlands lies the Marsh of Tun, a
great freshwater bog that envelops the Tun River downstream
of where two major tributaries flow together.
While bards spin fanciful tales of a city of glass at the
heart of the swamp, none recall that the central cavern of
Oghrann, the capital city of Araulurrin, lay directly
beneath the Marsh of Tun.
A venerable female black dragon by the name of
Skurge now resides in the oft-flooded caverns of Araulurrin.
Skurge and her offspring, Tyra and Despayr, are direct
descendants of Thauglorimorgorus the Black Doom, the
great black wyrm who ruled the Forest Kingdom before
the founding of House Obarskyr. Although thought by
most scholars of draconic lore to dwell only in the
Marshes of Tun, Skurge#146;s claim extends deep into the
upper Underdark, where she is served by a large tribe of
varkha.

So now we know some descendants of Thauglor and my theory of the city in the Marsh of Tun sinking into the caverns of Oghrann has some merit.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2015 :  17:05:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would take the 'thousands of years ago' thing in EE with a grain of salt; more of a 'poetic reference' like "a long time ago, far, far away..."

We have a conflict between two civilizations right in that same area in canon - the Netherese, and Thaeravel. Originally two separate kingdoms, when the Netherese annexed the Thaeraveli lands (to the south) they probably would have kept most of the 'peasants' around and just took over. We can see that there was some sort of conflict between two competing goddesses, and my bet is on Kiputtyo and Talona (and is the basis for many of my theories regarding the Netherese and their pantheon having migrated to the region from the east). This conflict would have lasted until the fall of Netheril, with one being the 'official' goddess, and the other being worshiped more by underground cults. Then Netheril falls, and the survivor states become contentious - my money would be on Talona being part of Anauria, which would have the old Thaeraveli culture for the most part. I think, perhaps, that there is still a missing piece - perhaps a fourth survivor state we are yet unaware of that existed in the Tunlands/Goblin Marches region who's name has been forgotten, in which case Talona would have resided there (or simply two cities, as the folklore states - no need for entire nations, come to think of it).

Either way, we have two cultures coming into conflict and one getting dominated by the other, and we have some myths about goddesses and 'two cities' (Citystates?) in conflict in the same general region, with one winning-out eventually over the other. I theorize that Talona 'infected' Kiputtyo with the worst ailment a deity could possibly have - mortality - and trapped her within a tomb within her city that she then sank beneath the marshes. Thus, when Ao sent all of FR's gods to Faerűn, Kipputtyo could have been released one final time, and Talona could have tracked her down and finished what she started (which makes me think it may have been Kiputtyo that somehow managed to sink the two cities, obscuring her whereabouts from her rival). I added that last part when I discovered that obscure reference to 'Loviatar's sister' in tCBoN, where Loviatar confronts Cyric for her sister's soul (which makes no sense since Cyric came around WAY after Kipputyo's fall). I figure blame that bit of continuity hiccup on the ToT (since it had to have occurred AFTER that event).

And I also like to link all of this to the 'Cloud kingdom' as well, likening it to 'High Thaeravel' before the Netherese swooped in and took over. It seemed to have survived the fall, which suggest non-Netherse magic - ancient, giant (runic?) magic - but then fell on its own slightly later, which could be blamed on the Phaerimm and the expanding desert.

As for the Ghazneths, I'd have to go with Wooly on that one - if you are going to tweak the heck out of something, you may as well create something new. On the other hand, you could say the nobles are using Demonic-infused dragon blood, which would cover all your bases (because I think the Ghazneths were some sort of demonic-template, which is all a curse really is).

And simply connect it all together, saying the nobles were able to do this after someone discovered an ancient relic in a submerged tomb in the marshes, and used it to 'taint' the dragon's blood.'The Fang of Kiputtyo' sounds about right.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Mar 2015 17:08:36
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2015 :  19:40:04  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the deific soap opera nonsense has irritated me for a long time. Elminsters Ecologies states the story about Talona was created by bards without any idea of the facts and that is good enough for me to discount most of that story (especially the bit about Talona).

Gods don't have bodies, they don't do battles in the physical sense (and I doubt even in the metaphysical sense) they don't fashion artefacts, they don't destroy civilisations. The clergy of a deity and their lay followers do all those things (with a bit of magical help), then they say that their god told them to do it.

However saying that there is a single exception and that is in the case of demi-powers which are physically present on the material plane (and the gods of the old empires). That is the only reason why I even entertain the idea that Talona fought Kipyu(whatever her name is) because they are both noted as being demipowers at that time, which may mean they weren't even deities at that point (how do you distinguish between a powerful mortal and a demipower if you are a normal person).

So assuming Talona and Kipy-whatsit did fight and destroy Asram, and as a result Talona then became a lesser power, this means the two cannot fight over Thaeravel and Netheril because both those nations are dead by the time of Asram (and neither Talona nor Kipy-whatsherface is mentioned as a god of the Netherese).

I prefer things to be more human oriented, that's what the realms are about - people.

I'm sure lots of others on these boards love speculating about gods and which pantheon they are from and where they came from in earth, but for me that's a very top down approach and I prefer the bottom up approach, so i'll present that as an alternative while the official line is "gods did it".

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2015 :  20:33:51  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kipy-whatsit. Thanks for the grins.

And I think I agree about the gods... worldbuilding should focus on the people --emphasis added because TSR and WotC have both ignored this-- and 99% of the time it's going to be more accurate to say the clergy and followers did something rather than saying the gods did it.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2015 :  20:37:41  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought I'd get more grins about bottom up approach

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2015 :  21:42:29  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, now you've summoned THO.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2015 :  04:17:07  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm clearly no good at sustaining a daily thread.

Unless/until contradicted (I've already poked Ed for details, and I’m sure others have too over the years) here's my take on a few facets of the Selazair family. Pure homebrew.

Filfaeril's parents

Pyrin "Pier-in" Selazair is an astute and soft-spoken man. Selazair men --once past their youthful years, which are just as exuberant and irresponsible as anyone else's-- are sometimes characterized as hurricanes. When seen from a distance, they appear stoic and determined, even stone-faced and implacable. Their speech in contrast can seem rushed and fragmented, often leaping from one topic to another... and sometimes the relevance of one to the next escapes the listeners. Their thoughts are a maelstrom of long-range potential and current points of interest, mingled with possible plans for capitalizing on recent events, both within and beyond Cormyr's borders. They are not, however, frenetic or “flaky.” Every action is deliberate, with a wide array of possible responses anticipated and matched with contingencies. They are excellent businessmen and dangerous opponents in combat or debate. Pyrin is one such man; a monolithic presence, occasionally stormy, with a calm and analytical core. He’s also a man of simple tastes, devoid of the arrogance and greed and petty vengeance that in his view hobbles much of the nobility. He has three more-experienced siblings, and he doesn't anticipate ever being the “patriarch” of the family – which only exists for Court purposes; few in the family would permit one of them to claim leadership over everyone else. He considers himself quite fortunate to have found his wife without really looking for a wife. She’s a reed in a storm, and he means that as a compliment. She’s kind and generous, caring for the royalty and paupers alike, and she willingly “bends over backwards” for anyone who asks her for help. She’s also unbreakable, unshakably loyal, and unfailingly devoted to those she loves. She’s bright enough to understand anything he explains to her, and he trusts her to run his businesses if something happens to incapacitate him. On top of all her other lovely, endearing traits... she’s too humble to realize what a "catch" she is.

Threlia "Threh-lee-uh" Besalen is (as of 1326 DR) in blushing-giggling-whispering-tickling-embracing love with her husband. It didn't start this way, though she's never disliked him, but she's thrilled to be experiencing giddy joy now. The Besalen family is old, and almost forgotten. Most of their properties have been sold off or lost, but each generation has somehow managed to avoid total ruin. When she met Pyrin, she was a bright-eyed girl of 14 and he was a man in his 20s. Her family was one step --perhaps just one ill-advised gamble-- from poverty. His family was not only successful, but modest about it. So modest, in fact, that he smiled at her and held her gaze when she stepped in front of him and stared up into his eyes. He knew who she was, and he knew how little she had to offer him. She knew that he knew, because he owned the house her mother's parents lived in and they were always months behind in paying the rent. Several years later, after a few probing conversations but little romance, he invited her to consider marrying him. More of a courtship commenced when she indicated that she liked the idea, but it still wasn't particularly passionate. She accepted because it was obviously a smart choice to make... and she’s never been certain why he asked her to marry him, or why he gave her father a profitable business in exchange for her hand. Over the years, he’s never "come to his senses" to choose someone prettier or from a more advantageous family. To her knowledge he's never taken a mistress or even favored another woman with a kiss. He cares for her, and her daughter, and... well, she’s grown quite fond of him.

Other Historical Figures

Tortharn Selazair was ennobled in 1050 DR, for "services rendered to the Crown" during the reclamation of Arabel.

Haldrun Selazair was a wizard, fiercely loyal to King Palaghard I. He perished in battle, in the Selazair home circa 1200 DR, and is said to be buried there. (Other Selazairs are buried in a "family plot" near Dhedluk.)

Current Family Fortunes
The Selazair family is unusual, in that it makes a lot of money by not trying to make a lot of money. Acquisitions are focused on raw materials and production. Everything can then be sold (or better yet leased) for a profit. Various members of the family have unique interests, so the family owns dozens of shops and has partnership in many more. This diversity of revenue means that the family isn't dependent on any one venture. The absence of greed among most of the Selazair elders means that while it’s important that each company become self-sufficient it is not important that any one generate huge profits. So workers are paid well and treated with respect. That in turn increases productivity and loyalty, and the quality of new recruits. Several Selazair-owned shops have employees whose families have worked there for generations. When they need something, there’s a good chance that they control a business which can provide the raw materials to build it, so they rarely have to purchase goods.

As a result of these guidelines, the Selazair family is comfortable but not ultra-wealthy. The family has a well-appointed residence in Suzail, and more modest homes in Arabel, Marsember, Dhedluk, and Noktil.

The Residence
The Selazair house in Suzail is a landmark on the Promenade, a triangular building near Thelmar's Inn at the center of the city. The first floor is devoted to entertainment and a few guest rooms, and is elegantly decorated befitting a prosperous noble family of the realm. However, the family lives almost exclusively on the upper floors, which are much more conservatively appointed. There's a cozier kitchen and dining room on the second floor, along with a library and the "master suite." The children’s rooms are on the third floor. The roof features a solarium, a covered garden, and a great vantage from which to watch the ongoing spectacle of the Promenade.

The adjoining building to the south is also part of the house. It contains servants' quarters and additional storage. However, the servants are free to sleep on the first floor of the house, and a few live like wealthy nobles in the luxurious guest rooms.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 26 Mar 2015 05:08:53
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2015 :  05:48:16  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well done.

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2015 :  18:46:19  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Starting a little piece of fiction I'm calling Eyes on Filfaeril. I'll put some characters notes in this thread, since they can serve as ideas for others, and the fiction in the other thread.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2015 :  21:35:03  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something said in another thread has sent me off on yet another tangent, but it can have relevance to Cormyr.

The slow speed of official development affords us, the fans, a rare opportunity to jump in and build a sand castle before canon visits any particular place. More than an opportunity; it's almost a requirement that we (A) carry 4e material forward, (B) revert to 3e/2e/1e material, or (C) make up something new.

Revolutions upset the political landscape and often leave the physical unchanged. Natural (and unnatural) catastrophes are something else; they happen to the land and might leave the political order unscathed. I propose that the aftermath of the Sundering should follow the "rules" of a natural disaster, where people rebuild and things largely spring back to what they were before. However, at least a little bit of revolution is very likely too, since rebuilding offers the chance to make changes and many folks will want to see change.

In the case of Cormyr, for example, a huge percentage of the War Wizards went nuts when Mystra was "killed." They haven't, in my estimation, had an opportunity to examine their priorities and shape their regrowth in a productive direction. What if a new leader unfurled a scroll of new regulations and directions upon taking office? Is it with the approval of the King or Queen? What will this imply for your campaign?

Speaking of the monarch, is the Obarskyr family still on the throne? Is your campaign going to start with a King, or a Queen, or a Regent?

This isn't "Write the 5e campaign guide entry for Cormyr. 1, 2, 3, Go!" It's just a bunch of questions to hopefully suggest an idea for an interesting adventure.

What if the nobles are now pawns of the Crown, and the nobles' efforts to assert themselves is just ineffectual pushback... or a carefully orchestrated coverup? What would the Crown's motives be? What about using the nobles to open up trade with foreign powers that might not be friendly to the Cormyrean crown, but are willing to do business with the nobles? What about using the nobles to execute coups in the dales and the cities of Sembia and the Dragon Coast?

What if someone (anyone) manages to get a polymorphed or mind-controlled thrall onto the throne of Cormyr?

What if there's another disturbance somewhere, and various nations look expectantly for Cormyr to field another Crusade? Leading a Crusade might leave the country vulnerable to watching foes, by taking the monarch and a number of War Wizards and Purple Dragons to another land. But not stepping up might mean the Crusade doesn't materialize, or it fails spectacularly, resulting in thousands of deaths.

What if the Crown announces an alliance with elves, and that the elves will replenish the diminished War Wizards?

What if rumors that a monster (phaerimm, dragon, doppelganger, fiend, anything) has seized the Overmaster's role in Sembia appear to be backed up by strong evidence? What if it then appears that an army of men and monsters is massing at Daerlun? What if Cormyr stands alone against this threat?

What if it comes to light that the Royal Magician, and a significant portion of the new War Wizards, are puppets? The Zhentarim or the Shades would be obvious choices, but there are plenty of others. Even the weird ones might be good... people are less likely to be vigilant against foes they don't expect.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2015 :  05:54:17  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Short descriptions for the first ten of the twenty adventuring company names I came up with back on the 15th of March:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19957&whichpage=4#466796

1. Samdaer's Doomaxe
A giant of a Tethyrean led this band of adventurers. The Doomaxe was active in Cormyr and parts west as far as Darkhold. Forces from that grim structure hunted Samdaer and his comrades, waylaying them in Hluthvar. Samdaer fell in battle surrounded by a ring of Zhent corpses, as did most of the Doomaxe. If any of their number still live, they are likely to be found in Cormyr along with whatever treasure they stole from the heart of Darkhold.

2. Durligo's Twelve Arrows
Expert bowmen, rock climbers and foresters. Some carry longbows as tall as a grown man that can launch an arrow a quarter mile and pierce the strongest of nonmagical armor. The Arrows range up and down the Stormhorns along Cormyr's western flank. When not poking around in tunnels and caves, the Arrows entertain themselves by climbing mountainsides and firing arrows from up high at targets in the valley below. This is also how they send messages.

3. Faedra's Merry Reavers
Goblin slayers, the lot of them. One of the few bands of adventurers to regularly make their way into and out of the Stonelands with no apparent difficulty. On good terms with the few surviving Shieldwall barons along Cormyr's western frontier. The Reaver's numbers vary from one season to the next, ranging between eight and fifteen strong depending on losses taken and the availability of new recruits. They make Eveningstar their home away from adventuring and several retired members (due to injury, rarely from age) live there.

4. Company of the Black Tear
Secretly followers of Myrkul. This group of adventurers roams northern Cormyr, the Stonelands and north into the Dales, ever on the lookout for lost temples, regalia and artifacts sacred to Myrkul's faith. Their leader is a potent cleric masquerading as a priest of Kelemvor. He casts ritual divinations daily that guide the Black Tear in their quests. They keep their loot in an abandoned mine north of Tilver's Gap.

5. Company of the Blazing Firewind
A band of Cormyrean adventurers better known in Sembia than in their homeland. One or more of their number possess magic capable of summoning walls of fire that can be shaped and moved about at will. The Firewind hires on as expensive caravan guards and are expert arsonists--the later activity necessitating the former when the adventurers must needs leave an area quickly.

6. Company of the Dracohar
All wear dragon helms, stylized hoods or cowls resembling dragon maws, this look meant to ape the appearance of the legendary Dracohar (humanoids with dragon heads) that live somewhere in the western Heartlands. The Company of the Dracohar are comprised mainly of veteran caravan guards and mercenaries. A pair of thieves from Berdusk, a priestess of Sune from Iriaebor and a former House mage from Suzail round out their numbers. The Company is currently exploring the north face of the Sunset Mountains.

7. The Four From Immersea
A quartet of adventurers: fighter, thief, priest and mage. Experienced veterans, with ties to Aglarond thanks to a long year of adventuring there. Battled a dragon to a standoff underneath the Desertsmouth Mountains. Lured a nest of Medusae through a portal that led to the Spiderhaunt Woods, then sealed it off so they could plunder the newly abandoned lair.

8. The Nine Gorgons of Battlerise
Never ones to shirk from a fight. The Gorgons are swift to anger at injustice done to goodly people and will bend or break the law to set matters aright. Thus are they frequent visitors to the stockade at Azoun's Hold. The handful of abandoned keeps and unkempt coastal estates to the south of Daerlun have captured the Gorgon's interest. They wear disguises when operating in Daerlun.

9. The Knightshields of Dhedluk
An honorable band of adventurers who've made a name for themselves in the King's Forrest.

10. The Dragonteeth
A band of novice adventurers that met their doom after wandering into a fight between rebellious doppelgängers and their mind flayer masters. The doppelgängers won out, and now they roam the hills and valleys of the Stormhorns in the guise of the fallen adventurers, seeking hidden entrances to the Upperdark and devising traps to lure the several remaining mindflayers out into the open where they can be slain. Most of these mindflayers came from ruined Underdark settlements destroyed in the Spellplague and settled in Cormyr over the last century, believing that Cormyr would likely survive any similar future magical calamity.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 31 Mar 2015 20:12:49
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2015 :  14:30:27  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Woohoo, Jeremy's here! Sleep-deprived, teeth-unbrushed, and crazy hair! Just kiddin... I'm sure he combed his hair.

Some tough adventurers here. I especially like the Four medusatrickers From Immersea.

(The Dessertsmouth Mointains look tasty, but I'm a little worried that they're going to eat me.)
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2015 :  18:48:50  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like my iPad was autocorrecting mountains into mointains. Fixed that.

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2015 :  19:34:40  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not trying to be a jerk, I was just havin fun with it.

As for more ideas... so Cormyr gains control of much of the Dragon Coast during 4e?

How will this develop, as we progress toward 1500 DR and beyond?

What if a noble family moves (or just builds a winter residence) in Ilipur or Pros? With an influx of money and links growing with Suzail, one of these towns will likely eclipse the other in terms of investment, population growth, and trade. It will also get cleaned up, while the other town might remain a "backwater" (by comparison anyway) and serve the underworld of its growing neighbor.

What happens meanwhile with Elversult? Does it pull away from Cormyr, or does it form a new spine of revenue generation along the southern trade route?

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 31 Mar 2015 20:16:58
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2015 :  20:36:30  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Looks like my iPad was autocorrecting mountains into mointains. Fixed that.

Interesting for it to change a real word into a made-up one. Apple.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2015 :  22:42:33  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I may have misspelled it once. The autocorrect feature seems to want to substitute unique spellings for otherwise correct spellings, as it remembers when you type something it does not have in memory. Either way it's a pain in the ass.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2015 :  07:08:27  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Descriptions for the remaining adventuring company names:

...any errors in spelling are entirely xaeyruudh's fault.

11. The Slydaggers
Hardblade mercenaries and cutthroats from the Moonsea and Dragonreach. The Slydaggers are recent arrivals in Cormyr, all believing it to be a soft place ripe for plunder. They've set themselves up as no questions asked problem solvers and eliminators of adventurers, and plan to turn on any patron they come to work for after earning their patron's trust.

12. The Twelvefold Trollkillers
A group of upland Sembians with experience fighting in the Dales and in Sembia proper. The Trollkillers left Sembia for Cormyr, and found adventure in the woods of Semberholme and the foothills of the Thunder Peaks while traveling on the East Way. Their name is a recent acquisition, thanks to a bloody battle in the Hullack Forest that saw the Trollkillers defend a caravan of refugees from four-armed trolls swarming out of the woods. They reside in Arabel.

13. The Glimmerboots
All sons and daughters of a long lived, unscrupulous ship merchant cum pirate and his crew. That pirate would send his men to collect their bastard children on their twelfth birthdays and take them aboard ship, feed them full of food and poison them to die in their sleep. The next day would see a ritual feast made from the corpses for the crew to consume and absorb their vitality. The captain would keep a thigh bone from each victim to decorate the walls of his cabin. The Glimmerboots sail their enchanted ship to ports of call in Cormyr, Sembia, Westgate and the Vilhon, and battle pirates, cutthroats, slavers and nefarious merchant cabals.

14. The Skullcloaks of Sunset Hill
All wear hooded cloaks capable of conjuring a grinning skull over the wearer's face whenever the hood is pulled up over the head. Stories and rumor have assigned other powers to the cloaks, such as darkvision and immunity from the deleterious touch or certain undead. This ten strong band is led by a pair of she elves and includes four mages from Scornubel that look exactly alike.

15. The Wildblades of Suzail
A group of bored and restless third, fourth and fifth in line sons and daughters of Cormyrean nobles who stand far back in line of inheritance, that have heard of the "wildblade" lords of Waterdeep that run wild up and down the Sword Coast and have taken that word as the name for their adventuring band.

16. The Company of the Dead Barge
All were poisoned and left to die, their bodies piled up with corpses of the nameless dead on a barge set to burn in the waters of Marsember.[1] They awoke in time and escaped into the water, then formed a band to pursue their attackers in the city. Their numbers have since doubled with the addition of castoffs from a band of mercenaries run out of Westgate.

17. The Surly Anandjacks of Arabel
As their name suggests, the Surly Anandjacks are former servants. They all shared an affinity for disobedience and threw in together to find a life of adventure. Before departing Arabel for the wilder parts of Cormyr and beyond, the Anandjacks absconded from the places where they had toiled certain maps and chapbooks detailing old ruins, dungeons and caves in the lands west of the Dales. Unbeknownst to them, bounty hunters and other adventurers have been hired to hunt them down and retrieve the stolen items.

18. Lightheart's Bloody Hammers
A hulking warrior maiden leads this band of hammer-swinging dwarves. Lightheart is the only human in the group, and speaks for the Hammers in all matters.

19. The Moondelvers of Priapurl
Adventurers with a taste for unexplored elf ruins, the dangerous the better. The Moondelvers are amassing a collection of Elven artifacts, all of which are shipped to Priapurl.

20. Blackthroat's Tyrant Kings
Followers of the teachings of Aumarrath, an early prophet of Bane. Each member is an accomplished (even if only in his or her mind) master at their chosen adventuring field. The Tyrant Kings do not flaunt their faith in places like Cormyr. Instead they adhere to the rule of law and quietly dispatch their own harsh brand of justice on anyone or anything they see the law as having failed to judge or punish adequately. They seek to influence the powerful in Cormyr, and have found patrons amongst the lesser nobility.

[1] This is canon Realmslore, the activity known as "dead barge cremations."

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 28 May 2015 04:43:42
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2015 :  17:22:30  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

...any errors in spelling are entirely xaeyruudh's fault.

Responsibility for errors would imply that I had a hand in creating this awesome stuff, so it would be selfish and dishonest for me to accept it.

Methinks the Moondelvers (and Priapurl) are "cruisin for a bruisin" from elves who dislike having their cultural heritage plundered. It's like one of those spinning fireworks... just light and toss, and story ideas come flying out.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2015 :  07:32:16  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am thinking the Moondelvers are all elves, too. Hrm...

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2015 :  07:33:41  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forty More Adventuring Company Names:

1. The Ghost Knights

2. The Blind Beholders

3. The Sarrukh Slayers

4. The Haunted Battlepriests

5. The Magekillers of Gulthandor

6. The Avengers of Moryndrar

7. The Serpentslayers of Chavyondat

8. The Widowed Nighthaunts

9. The Wandering Warpriests

10. Tybold's Terrible Shields

11. The Grimblades

12. Foes of the Cauldron

13. The Warders of the Hullack

14. Oromanche's Doomseekers

15. The Sundered Skulls

16. Hornshulder's Loyal Blades

17. Cathcatch's Doomed Friends

18. The Maidenseekers of Purdrim

19. The Company of the Arrogant Quill

20. The Company of the Dead Apprentice

21. Scions of the Talking Door

22. The Blade Heralds of Ormpur

23. The Company of the Bold Axe

24. Friends of the Arshryke

25. The Cowled Nightlords of Westgate

26. The Hands of the Watchfan

27. Brightboots and Bloodcoins, Adventurers For Hire

28. The Company of the Runewight

29. The Company of the Howling Mine

30. Velahoondelar's Wagontamers

31. The Company of the Mirror Ghost

32. The Company of the Helm and Heart

33. The Hammerfoot

34. Seekers of the Keyhole

35. The Quietcloaks of Slingdyke

36. The Company of the Dead Sembian

37. The Keg Crushers of Moonever

38. The Lanceknights of Monksblade

39. The Company of the Stolen Elf

40. The Company of the Crestfallen Imp

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2015 :  16:22:03  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am thinking the Moondelvers are all elves, too. Hrm...

I would think the leader, and at least a few members would have to be elves -- other races wouldn't know where to look, since many elven ruins are unknown in the legends of other races. And if the leadership is elven, then it makes sense for all of the members to be elven.

Although... half-elves might work. They grow up in elven communities, they hear the stories. But they're not elven, and they're never fully accepted. Some of the elders tell them stories as a way of taunting them, thinking to tantalize and inflame the greed of their human halves while perhaps invoking the sadness and respect of their "better" halves. Half-elves don't have a place of their own, at least in most places in Faerun, and a roving band of adventurers is the closest most half-elves will ever get to having a respectful and appreciative family. So the Moondelvers could be half-elves, seeking out (1) elven ruins in the hope that one of them will be salvagable as a fixer-upper and eventually home for half-elves, and (2) elven relics they can see and own, and touch at will, without the ridicule of disapproving elven elders, to feel their heritage, and eventually to build an elven atmosphere in the homes they hope to build some day.

I just think they're going to be opposed. There will be at least one historically-significant and still-well-connected family/house/clan who will not want certain/any ruins plundered. Some because that family has secrets buried therein, others because they know of secrets others have buried there, and even on a superficial level they don't want elven treasures being brought out into human lands... Priapurl isn't exactly Evermeet, and the security of those elven artifacts is questionable at best. Of course, if the delvers are half-elves, that will be a basis for some elves to oppose them.

So I think there has to be someone, like the Starym in old Myth Drannor, who will oppose the Moondelvers to the extent of their ability. Making an adventuring band disappear is a lot easier than defying/eliminating a coronal, or at least it will appear that way at the outset, so they might hire/construct an adventuring band to track/kill the Moondelvers, or they might go straight to professional assassins, who might target the delvers' family members and friends around the Realms for leverage.

Just riffing or tangenting or somethin. Thanks for the ideas. Despite the lack of widespread reactions/input, this thread is awesome.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 04 Apr 2015 16:25:21
Go to Top of Page

Misereor
Learned Scribe

164 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2015 :  19:22:13  Show Profile Send Misereor a Private Message  Reply with Quote

How did the Sarrukh Slayers get their name?
Do they have a concept of what the Sarrukh were, or did they just stumble across the Word?

What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder, stronger, in a later edition.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2015 :  07:32:17  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damn...my iPad just ate my reply. Damnit, damnit, damnit.

Looking forward to a Candlekeep Mark II that periodically saves your writing.

OK, starting over.
quote:
Originally posted by Misereor

Do they have a concept of what the Sarrukh were, or did they just stumble across the Word?
Good questions and thank you for asking!

So...

The Sarrukh Slayers took their name from a mistranslation made by a wizard among their group, who first took the word to be the name for a deity but soon concluded it was the name for the founder of the tribe of lizard folk the Slayers had been battling up to that point.

The translation was made from the contents of a round tome comprised of translucent, iron-hard glass pages set on an altar of stone in a room capped by a domed roof. The etchings and marks both on and in each page required the light of the sun to shine on them in order for their contents to be projected on the circular wall surrounding the tome.

The Slayers could not figure out how to make the dome admit light into the room (to make the dome transparent required the uttering of the name of the Sarrukh who created the glass tome, that name having been passed down a VERY long line of lizard folk priests, the last of which died on the swords of the Slayers), so they conjured up a light of their own and made do.

Using what little they gleaned from the tome as a guide allowed the Slayers to continue their explorations of the complex of temples and rooms they first discovered half-submerged in the Fens of Tun along the southwestern portion of the Farsea Swamp. Among the treasures claimed were scimitars and daggers made of the same material as the tome, and hexagonal ingots made of a dim grey metal stamped with one unique rune each that become fluid at the touch and flow around one's hand.

The Slayers were eventually driven off by the lizard folk and took their treasures first to Maloren's Rest, then to Skull Crag before making the journey over the Stormhorns and into Cormyr.

Their arrival home heralded a desire to change their adventuring company moniker, and so the oddly named Blind Beholders became the newly flush with wealth Sarrukh Slayers.

The Slayers believe the ingots are holy objects, and have begun selling them off to collectors of odd things, sages and interested mages, in order to afford themselves lavish appointments in Suzail while they ride out the winter months.

(They had no interest in selling off the glass blades.)

What they do not yet realize is the ingots are portal keys capable of turning any magical portal (gates to us old timers) into a one-way bridge leading to any of the countless extraplanar locations where the Okoth made a home for themselves outside of the world of Toril.

Certain of the Slayer's customers have begun to realize the significance of the strange liquid metal portal keys, and have made plans to acquire the remaining keys--for some this may require any means necessary. These efforts are in competition with the actions of the Lizard Folk, who called upon old magic in the wake of the departure of the Slayers to awaken the sleeping defenders of their temple city.

Already the defenders have acquired faces and forms capable of passing unnoticed in Cormyr, and have tracked the Slayers to Suzail. (The last time a temple defender set foot in Cormyr was approximately 750 years ago.) Their first priority is the recovery of the planar keys, the second is vengeance.

Hope that answers your question Misereor!

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 05 Apr 2015 08:08:38
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2015 :  07:59:50  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

Just riffing or tangenting or somethin. Thanks for the ideas. Despite the lack of widespread reactions/input, this thread is awesome.

You're welcome! And thank you for the kind words. I really like it when somebody takes something I wrote and expands on it. It's a good feeling and I enjoy the reading.

No worries about the lack of posts. I have been watching the page views count and it seems folks are taking more than one look over time, so that's a good thing.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2015 :  13:52:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Damn...my iPad just ate my reply. Damnit, damnit, damnit.

Looking forward to a Candlekeep Mark II that periodically saves your writing.

OK, starting over.
quote:
Originally posted by Misereor

Good questions and thank you for asking!

So...

The Sarrukh Slayers took their name from a mistranslation made by a wizard among their group, who first took the word to be the name for a deity but soon concluded it was the name for the founder of the tribe of lizard folk the Slayers had been battling up to that point.

The translation was made from the contents of a round tome comprised of translucent, iron-hard glass pages set on an altar of stone in a room capped by a domed roof. The etchings and marks both on and in each page required the light of the sun to shine on them in order for their contents to be projected on the circular wall surrounding the tome.

The Slayers could not figure out how to make the dome admit light into the room (to make the dome transparent required the uttering of the name of the Sarrukh who created the glass tome, that name having been passed down a VERY long line of lizard folk priests, the last of which died on the swords of the Slayers), so they conjured up a light of their own and made do.

Using what little they gleaned from the tome as a guide allowed the Slayers to continue their explorations of the complex of temples and rooms they first discovered half-submerged in the Fens of Tun along the southwestern portion of the Farsea Swamp. Among the treasures claimed were scimitars and daggers made of the same material as the tome, and hexagonal ingots made of a dim grey metal stamped with one unique rune each that become fluid at the touch and flow around one's hand.

The Slayers were eventually driven off by the lizard folk and took their treasures first to Maloren's Rest, then to Skull Crag before making the journey over the Stormhorns and into Cormyr.

Their arrival home heralded a desire to change their adventuring company moniker, and so the oddly named Blind Beholders became the newly flush with wealth Sarrukh Slayers.

The Slayers believe the ingots are holy objects, and have begun selling them off to collectors of odd things, sages and interested mages, in order to afford themselves lavish appointments in Suzail while they ride out the winter months.

(They had no interest in selling off the glass blades.)

What they do not yet realize is the ingots are portal keys capable of turning any magical portal (gates to us old timers) into a one-way bridge leading to any of the countless extraplanar locations where the Okoth made a home for themselves outside of the world of Toril.

Certain of the Slayer's customers have begun to realize the significance of the strange liquid metal portal keys, and have made plans to acquire the remaining keys--for some this may require any means necessary. These efforts are in competition with the actions of the Lizard Folk, who called upon old magic in the wake of the departure of the Slayers to awaken the sleeping defenders of their temple city.

Already the defenders have acquired faces and forms capable of passing unnoticed in Cormyr, and have tracked the Slayers to Suzail. (The last time a temple defender set foot in Cormyr was approximately 750 years ago.) Their first priority is the recovery of the planar keys, the second is vengeance.

Some really good stuff, here.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2015 :  17:58:01  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very cool stuff indeed!

I have plans for the sarrukh, so it's awesome to see someone else's thoughts about them.

And glass blades... who wouldn't love that?!
Go to Top of Page

Misereor
Learned Scribe

164 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2015 :  19:03:19  Show Profile Send Misereor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, and it sounds like you have some background material here, but now I have more questions :)

quote:

So when you use an ingot, do you take it with you to the other end of the portal, and can you then use it to get back from there?

In either case, why were they left behind? Backup transport? Scrying devices? Long term planning of an unspecified nature?

What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder, stronger, in a later edition.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2015 :  19:11:18  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps the Sarrukh had been making them for quite some time, they must have had a few thousand ingots to make to transport their entire population. By the time they had finished them all the population was significantly lower than they expected and so a few got left behind, or perhaps they needed to leave in a hurry.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page