Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Herald recommendation [NO Spoiler]
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Portuguese D. Ace
Seeker

Italy
82 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2015 :  15:29:46  Show Profile Send Portuguese D. Ace a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi guys, I know i'm a slowpoke, but prior to reading The Sundering i only read Drizzt Saga.
Then I came to the sundering and i tried to do things properly.
As shown in this thread, http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19534 i read everything in the suggested order.

in the last year I read all Sembia Gateway (and surprisingly i enjoyed it), then i devoured Erevis Cale (i loved it), godborn, Farideh's saga, the adversary,the reaver, The avatar 5 books, now i'm finishing the third Return of the Archwizards and i'm going for the Sentry.

I managed to avoid every spoiler regarding the sundering but i would like to speed up... but now i'm a littlebit concerned about Elminster.
I've never read anything starring Aumar, but those bits in the Avatar, or in Archwizards... i didnt enjoy it.
If, after the Sentry, i'll go straight to the Herald... am i going to miss something of it?

Namely, i LOVED Malik in the Archwizards, probably beacuse i had just finished reading Crucible...

Is there something similar (a comeback?!) in the Herald? Do you suggest reading all of Elminster or may i jump straight to the end of the sundering?

thank you for your help

Please, bring back the Realms. I'm really fed up with the Sword Coast.

===== Since English is not my first language, I pre-emptively apologize for any (grammar) mistake that has been made in my post. In order to help me improve my English, please, point out those mistakes (If you could do it politely, it would be even better!). Thanks! =====

Edited by - Portuguese D. Ace on 07 Feb 2015 15:31:45

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2015 :  21:57:15  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The funny thing about Elminster is that other authors tend to portray him as an ultimate wizard. Ed Greenwood makes him more human, and has him commiting mistakes a lot.

You can easily go straight to The Herald if you want to and still understand the story, but I'd suggest reading the Sage of Shadowdale trilogy first. Older Elminster books are good reads, but they won't have any info that you really need to understand The Herald. Just be aware that Ed Greenwood's writing style is kind of messy, with the plot constantly jumping around.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000